Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins
 Keeping All Nickels?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

jacer333
Penny Pincher Member

USA
119 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  16:24:38  Show Profile Send jacer333 a Private Message
I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on keeping any U.S. nickel you come across. Currently I have a couple hundred dollars tied up in common nickels I keep after searching the rolls.

Is it worth the money to hold onto these for the base metal value or should I take them in and free up money to search other rolls or buy some silver?

Cody8404
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
602 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  16:38:10  Show Profile Send Cody8404 a Private Message
Nickels come, but I don't spend them. I give them a nice home. Well, in a bottle in the garage.

Haven't made any further plans yet.

Awake, O kings of the earth! Come ye, O, come ye, with your gold and your silver, to the help of my people, to the house of the daughters of Zion, to the help of the people of the God of this Land even Jesus Christ.
Go to Top of Page

theo
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
588 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  17:19:50  Show Profile Send theo a Private Message
Currently the nickel has a melt value of about 2.5 cents and that's with copper/nickel prices down. Last summer when they were higher the nickel had a melt value of more than six cents. This should happen again when inflation begins to pick up. If hyperinflation hits the nickel could easily eclipse the dollar and perhaps even go higher.

Even if inflation isn't as bad as many of us fear, it is only a matter of time before the mint changes the metal content of the nickel (along with the other U.S. coins). The Canadians changed all their coins to mostly steel about ten years ago. Frankly, I'm surprised the U.S. hasn't done this as well.

"Hobbies? I got no hobbies! Everything I do; I do for real." The Gold Coast
Go to Top of Page

daviscfad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1664 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  17:51:08  Show Profile Send daviscfad a Private Message
i keep all of mine hoping they will one day be the next war nickel or something.. I know it is a long shot being nickel and copper are by the pound and silver is by the ounce... But i do think when they change the composition of the coin these nickels will disappear and will be like copper memorials are now.selling for some kinda profit

Inquiring minds want to know
Go to Top of Page

fb101
Administrator

USA
2856 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  17:58:42  Show Profile Send fb101 a Private Message
If things go back to where they were before, nickels will be 120% face value and copper pennies will be 150-200% face value.
Moreover, it almost 100% certain the ratio (nickel to copper) will remain the same.
I'd rather have copper.

Go to Top of Page

oober
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1304 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  20:51:59  Show Profile Send oober a Private Message
Some people keep for bullion. Myself I keep XF 40 or better (In 2x2s)VF20 (in rolls), of mintages less the 40mil, mintages less then 18mil vf20 + in 2x2's. Also AU of 2000 or earlier.

If I find 5 steps + on 90 and ealier, they go into 2x2's ( until I feel I have enough). I betting nickels will be a good investment long term. Its damn hard to find really good nicks...

May not pay off in the long run, but maybe it will for my great grand kids lol....
Go to Top of Page

highroller4321
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2648 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  21:10:04  Show Profile Send highroller4321 a Private Message
I dont go out and get nickles from the bank. But I keep everyone I get in my change in a jar

Copper Penny Investing
www.portlandmint.com
Go to Top of Page

Corsair
Penny Hoarding Member

811 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2009 :  10:41:29  Show Profile  Send Corsair a Yahoo! Message Send Corsair a Private Message
I think that prices for the metal will not go up sharply enough for the banks to cut off handling of nickels. So, if prices go above $.05 per nickel (again), I'll just go to my bank and have them order me a few dozen boxes.

So long, Realcent 1. Come visit us at Realcent.org!
Go to Top of Page

jacer333
Penny Pincher Member

USA
119 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2009 :  12:35:55  Show Profile Send jacer333 a Private Message
Thanks for the many responses...sounds like at this point I may just be better off cashing them in and sorting more pennies. We will probably have plenty future notice of when base metal prices start to really rise again and then I could go stock up on nicks.
Go to Top of Page

Cerulean
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2009 :  13:29:34  Show Profile Send Cerulean a Private Message
I keep all the 50-year-old nickels, currently 1938-1959, that I encounter. This keeps my "nickel hoarding" under budget. If I'm going to save nickels, I might as well save the ones with the most likely numismatic payoff.

I don't see much hope for speculating on metallic content of the 5cent, and I think it'll be 30 or 40 years before there's a market for late-20th Century nickels.

Sorting Map
2010 First Finds Contest
Are you a Buffalo Hunter?
Wanna take seignorage away from the Fed? Spend *any* coins!
We cannot afford this government.
Cerulean's Standing Offer: $3/lb shipped for foreign coins
Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2009 :  20:18:54  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
I keep a little over a ton of them around the house mostly as a hard-er money cash reserve.

Realcent.forumco.com disclosure. Please read.
All posts either by the members, moderators, and the administration of http://realcent.forumco.com are for your edification and amusement only. It is not the intent of realcent.forumco.com or its host to provide investment, medical, matrimonial, legal, security or tax advice and nothing posted here should be considered to be so. All rights reserved.

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

slickeast
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2533 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2009 :  20:43:03  Show Profile Send slickeast a Private Message
One ton of Nickels = about $9100.00

Dime , Quarter or Halves.....doesn't matter which coin you choose....One Ton = $40,000.00

One ton Pennies....$2920.00

You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be.......SLICK

Go to Top of Page

jacer333
Penny Pincher Member

USA
119 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2009 :  21:06:00  Show Profile Send jacer333 a Private Message
WOW Ardent, that is some cash reserve there!
Go to Top of Page

Computer Jones
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1112 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2009 :  22:32:43  Show Profile Send Computer Jones a Private Message
I keep all my Nickels.
I toss the ones prior to 1960 in "Early Nickle" jugs and roll the post '60's.
I just learned I should keep the finer specimens from '82 & '83 separate due to the lack of mint sets for that year.
I also keep the Westward Journey Buffs separate (I like the picture of a Bison).
The value of the 75/25% Cu/Ni will be worth more than the 5 Cents stamped on the metal disk soon.
The value of the real Ni Canuk-A-Nickle will also be worth more than the stamped value very soon, I also keep them separate in my Canuk-A-Nickles jugs.

There's profit if you melt things!!
8{>
Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2009 :  09:10:49  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by slickeast

One ton of Nickels = about $9100.00

Dime , Quarter or Halves.....doesn't matter which coin you choose....One Ton = $40,000.00

One ton Pennies....$2920.00

I have about five hundered dollars worth more than the larger metric ton around the house. I can't understand people who say they don't have enough room for silver.

Realcent.forumco.com disclosure. Please read.
All posts either by the members, moderators, and the administration of http://realcent.forumco.com are for your edification and amusement only. It is not the intent of realcent.forumco.com or its host to provide investment, medical, matrimonial, legal, security or tax advice and nothing posted here should be considered to be so. All rights reserved.

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2009 :  11:12:00  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
I think slickeast is a little low on the face value for a ton of pennies. Might be close if all the pennies are copper and they are all BU, but I would place the fv of a ton of copper pennies at about $3000 and even higher than that for those of us that hoard zinc as well.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Now selling Copper pennies. 1.6x plus shipping. Limited amounts available.
Go to Top of Page

slickeast
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2533 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2009 :  14:20:20  Show Profile Send slickeast a Private Message
Well of course I used the Copper penny weight. These weights are based on no wear on the coins.

As they get wore down the dollar amount to make a ton goes up.

Zinc, One Ton = $3620.00

Steel Penny , One Ton = $3360.00

Silver Dime , Silver Quarter or 90% Silver Half = $36,320.00 Ton (face)

Go to Top of Page

L1011
Penny Collector Member

310 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2009 :  23:09:14  Show Profile Send L1011 a Private Message
Any one tell me if 1950's(various years) nickels,uncirculated, worth holding on too?
Go to Top of Page

oober
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1304 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2009 :  00:08:54  Show Profile Send oober a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by L1011

Any one tell me if 1950's(various years) nickels,uncirculated, worth holding on too?

I keep most of them , except for poor quality 54D,57D,58D,59D

Decent quality + with less then 30mil I been putting into 2x2's. I'm betting way down the line these may be worth some money. Nickels dont wear well... This will probably pay off for the next generation, but I'm cool with that.

Key yrs for 50's are

50D, havent found one yet
51s

Any condition of the previous 4 I put in 2x2's... Probably overkill, but I'm having fun... Only 2c each for the 2x2 I'm paying.. So its all good.

Go to Top of Page

Hirbonzig
Penny Collector Member

USA
451 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2009 :  11:48:18  Show Profile Send Hirbonzig a Private Message
For now I only keep nickels from 1938-1959 and any Indian Heads that pop up from time to time.
Go to Top of Page

marklarpants
Penny Sorter Member

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2009 :  19:57:19  Show Profile Send marklarpants a Private Message
i keep all nickels, finding nickels is alot easier than sorting pennies...
Go to Top of Page

slickeast
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2533 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2009 :  20:06:54  Show Profile Send slickeast a Private Message
I just toss all my nickels in a bucket. I'll look at them in 20 years if they are worth more than face. I will just pass them on to my 5 year old when she is older. I hope she won't mind a few tons of copper pennies and nickels in her inheritance. And probably a ton or so of junk silver.

Wish my dad left me with that kinda loot.

My dad was a hoarder...of flea market finds.

Go to Top of Page

oober
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1304 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2009 :  20:16:22  Show Profile Send oober a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by slickeast

I just toss all my nickels in a bucket. I'll look at them in 20 years if they are worth more than face. I will just pass them on to my 5 year old when she is older. I hope she won't mind a few tons of copper pennies and nickels in her inheritance. And probably a ton or so of junk silver.

Wish my dad left me with that kinda loot.

My dad was a hoarder...of flea market finds.

I would at least put all mintages of 10mil or less in something more protective. If you want something more picky, all mintages less then 7 mil...

38D
38S
39D
39S
50D

All these worth decent money in VF or better.

Prices probably slightly bloated, but..

You must be logged in to see this link.

Go to Top of Page

TenBears
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2009 :  05:35:42  Show Profile Send TenBears a Private Message
I keep 59 and older and Westward Journeys.

"Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is not baying after what you can't have. Rich is having the time to do what you want to do. Rich is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells. Rich is not owing any money to anybody, and not spending what you haven't got." Robert Ruark

there are too wild Indians...
there are too wild Indians...
there are too wild Indians...-----still taunted

Go to Top of Page

daviscfad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1664 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2009 :  10:34:48  Show Profile Send daviscfad a Private Message
quote:
i keep all nickels, finding nickels is alot easier than sorting pennies...

I agree with that.. My dad did leave me a stash

Inquiring minds want to know
Go to Top of Page

CoinHunter53562
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1805 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2009 :  22:50:54  Show Profile Send CoinHunter53562 a Private Message
I dont actively go look for them or buy them from banks, but I do keep anything from 1959 and earlier, and also the 2004 and 2005 Westward nickels with the cool designs on the back.

My hobby: collecting real money 1 copper cent or nickel at a time.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2