Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins
 Keeping All Nickels?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Mikep2020
Penny Collector Member

USA
402 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2009 :  11:31:27  Show Profile Send Mikep2020 a Private Message
I keep all 1963 and earlier plus all 65,66,67 in roll form. I've only found 2 1967 in about $300 face sorted. I also keep all 2004 & 2005 WJ nickels in roll form. I sort out all the badly worn, corroded or damaged nickels and return them to circulation and keep all good shape 1968-2008 in a seperate jug.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

146 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2009 :  18:40:05  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
I keep all nickels except the Westward Journey nickels...I let those go back into the economy hoping they'll find their way to Ardent Listener ;)
Go to Top of Page

moboman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2555 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2009 :  21:28:04  Show Profile Send moboman a Private Message
I'm not sure what I want to do with my nickels. I have a bag bagged up of ones that I wasn't going to keep. I'm contemplating returning them or rolling them up and storing them with my others.

"99% of all lawyers give the rest of them a bad name"

Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2009 :  06:17:26  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
I save a bunch of Ni Canadian nickels. Also US silver war nicks. I had a lot of Can CuNi but decided that they were just tieing up cash that could go into silver. I haul all the regular US nickels I find down to my US account, enjoying the 20% exchange rate differance between their real value and the 5 cents Canadian I paid for them.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

maoguinn
Penny Pincher Member

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  21:02:19  Show Profile Send maoguinn a Private Message
Hi everyone, I'm new the forum. I save all copper pennies, nickels,and buy silver when i can afford it. I keep my pennies and nickels in jars until I have time to sort through them. I'm not a big time hoarder, I just keep pocket change and buy pennies from family and friends.
Go to Top of Page

jldco
Penny Pincher Member

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2009 :  17:28:47  Show Profile Send jldco a Private Message
What is the metal contact of "V" nickels? I can't seem to find it anywhere. I don't seem to have many but have found more of them than war nickels latley.....

Mark 8:36
www.pennybullion.com
Go to Top of Page

psi
Penny Collector Member

Canada
399 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2009 :  18:44:47  Show Profile Send psi a Private Message
I separated out my canadian CuNi from the steel at one point but I ended up returning it to the bank. At the time the us dollar was trading lower than ours so I ended up returning a lot of american nickels with the other junk. Now I keep all us coins separate for the next time I go down.
Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2009 :  19:40:11  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by jldco

What is the metal contact of "V" nickels? I can't seem to find it anywhere. I don't seem to have many but have found more of them than war nickels latley.....

the 2006 version are nickel plated steel. Keep a nice one for your collecton and dump the rest. WWII era are either Tombec (a type of brass) or chrome plated steel and are definately collector pieces (a very cool coin with lots of interesting facts).

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

daviscfad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1664 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2009 :  20:23:49  Show Profile Send daviscfad a Private Message
quote:

Are you talking about the liberty head nickels jldco? All Us Nickels to date except war nickels are 75% copper 25% nickel. The war nickels with the big mintmark on the reverse are 56% copper, 35% silver, 9% manganese

Inquiring minds want to know
Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2009 :  20:47:27  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by daviscfad

quote:

Are you talking about the liberty head nickels jldco? All Us Nickels to date except war nickels are 75% copper 25% nickel. The war nickels with the big mintmark on the reverse are 56% copper, 35% silver, 9% manganese

If he is finding lots and worried about metal content, he must be talking about Canadian 2006 60th anniversery of the the end of WWII nickels. They are useless steel.

Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

oober
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1304 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2009 :  22:09:31  Show Profile Send oober a Private Message
quote:

Whats the dates of these nick? 1883-1912?
Go to Top of Page

jldco
Penny Pincher Member

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2009 :  07:23:35  Show Profile Send jldco a Private Message
These are the older US nickels sometimes called liberty head nickels. 1900/1908/1911 are the three I've found latley.They aren't anything to write home about as far as how they look. I just wondered which pile to through them in. Thanks!

www.pennybullion.com
Go to Top of Page

oober
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1304 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2009 :  08:34:03  Show Profile Send oober a Private Message
quote:

These are the older US nickels sometimes called liberty head nickels. 1900/1908/1911 are the three I've found latley.They aren't anything to write home about as far as how they look. I just wondered which pile to through them in. Thanks!

These have numis value, I would keep them separated. They are worth at mininum 50c each. Look at ebay for similar condition same yr Libs and you will understand a value.
Go to Top of Page

jldco
Penny Pincher Member

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2009 :  12:41:38  Show Profile Send jldco a Private Message
Thanks, since I think they are too beat up to be worth much I just wondered if they might have any silver in them, but i would probably hear more about them if they did.
Thanks again!

www.pennybullion.com
Go to Top of Page

vrbsroma
Penny Collector Member

394 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2009 :  22:02:38  Show Profile Send vrbsroma a Private Message
If the US Mint hasn't stopped making pennies out of copper yet at the current rates, what makes anyone think that they will stop producing nickels made of nickel? Think they might stop pennies and nickels at the same time?

As far as I know, it is stated "In God We Trust" on the US dollar. How can I trust this currency if I do not believe in God?

Possession is nine-tenths of the law.

When I give my two cents, they're always copper!
Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  06:40:52  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by vrbsroma

If the US Mint hasn't stopped making pennies out of copper yet at the current rates, what makes anyone think that they will stop producing nickels made of nickel? Think they might stop pennies and nickels at the same time?

The U.S. Mint doesn't make copper cents for circulation anymore. They haven't since 1982. Or, maybe I missed something....

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

gothboi30
Penny Collector Member

USA
286 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2009 :  00:21:06  Show Profile Send gothboi30 a Private Message
I just went through all my pre '64 nickels yesterday, and was pleased to find 4 "super" keepers....a '38d, a '38s, a 59p (full step, possibly MS67 or higher), and a '82s proof!!
Go to Top of Page

daviscfad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1664 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2009 :  00:41:12  Show Profile Send daviscfad a Private Message
Yeah what deal said. The 09 Lincolns will be the first made of 95% copper since 1982. all circulation strikes are only 2.5% copper. and i think 97.5 zinc.. The 09 lincolns will actually be bronze .950 Copper, .05 Tin and Zinc. and i think from 1962-1981 it was 95% copper and 5% zinc

Go to Top of Page

oober
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1304 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2009 :  18:15:36  Show Profile Send oober a Private Message
quote:

Yeah what deal said. The 09 Lincolns will be the first made of 95% copper since 1982. all circulation strikes are only 2.5% copper. and i think 97.5 zinc.. The 09 lincolns will actually be bronze .950 Copper, .05 Tin and Zinc. and i think from 1962-1981 it was 95% copper and 5% zinc

What should a roll weigh in this alloy if they are .950 copper? I have a roll and will weigh it...

If you havent had one in your hand... well they are beautiful...
Go to Top of Page

daviscfad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1664 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2009 :  19:00:57  Show Profile Send daviscfad a Private Message
Oober
You have a roll of copper or zinc? a roll of copper pennies should weigh in around 155.5grams That is with no wear. a roll of zinclons should weigh around 125 grams agiain with no wear

Go to Top of Page

oober
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1304 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2009 :  19:06:20  Show Profile Send oober a Private Message
Its probably zinc, least I expect it to be. These are the 09 absolutely BU... Paid 4 times face for it, just in case We dont see them... I'm pretty sure we will though now, oh well...
Go to Top of Page

daviscfad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1664 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2009 :  19:13:10  Show Profile Send daviscfad a Private Message
they should be zinc! If not you hit the jackpot

Go to Top of Page

faithnotwork
Penny Pincher Member

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2009 :  20:36:24  Show Profile Send faithnotwork a Private Message
I'm a nickel speculator. I like nickels.
Go to Top of Page

phillips24
Penny Pincher Member

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2009 :  07:24:34  Show Profile Send phillips24 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by oober

quote:

What should a roll weigh in this alloy if they are .950 copper? I have a roll and will weigh it...

If you havent had one in your hand... well they are beautiful...

Only the 09's in the mint sets will be copper. The circulating coins are plain ol zincolns.
Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2009 :  14:28:29  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by vrbsroma

US Nickel only have 25% Ni. The rest is Cu. In Canada we switched from CuNi nickels over to plated steel back in 2000. Surprised that the US has not followed suit yet. The recession would be a good excuse to save millions by switching metals. The recent suspension of production in dimes and quarters might be a prelude to a metal switch.

Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2