Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins
 Keeping All Nickels?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

jonflyfish
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
693 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2009 :  16:53:36  Show Profile  Send jonflyfish a Yahoo! Message Send jonflyfish a Private Message
Ramping up the nickel hoarding operation. Cashed in a few short term paper investments and will hoard some 100's of nickel boxes for the paper hedge.

The first panacea for a mismanaged nation is inflation of the currency; second is war. Both bring a temporary (and false) prosperity; both bring a permanent ruin. But both are the refuge of political and economic opportunities.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

84 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2009 :  19:37:32  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ardent Listener I can't understand people who say they don't have enough room for silver.

yes total cop out. everyone has room for silver

I currently have no signature.
Go to Top of Page

Cupronickel
Penny Pincher Member

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2009 :  17:02:48  Show Profile Send Cupronickel a Private Message
When Cu and Ni prices were at their peak, I was getting 6-8 rolls of nickels a week, when I deposited my paycheck but stopped doing so when metal prices started down. I've got a couple hundred dollars tied up in them and I keep every nickel in my pocket change. Metals are going to stage a comeback, IMO, so I'm going back to my original plan. I know the tellers thought I was a PITA!
Go to Top of Page

myfundsarelow
Penny Collector Member

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2009 :  19:54:54  Show Profile Send myfundsarelow a Private Message
HELLO CUPRONICKEL, I to had many many rolls of nickels but exchanged them for boxs of cents, you will never run out of cents to search, still a lot of wheats to be had plus a new batch of 2009 cents, they will only cost you 0.1 each god luck hunting them PEACE!!
Go to Top of Page

jonflyfish
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
693 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2009 :  19:19:29  Show Profile  Send jonflyfish a Yahoo! Message Send jonflyfish a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by myfundsarelow

HELLO CUPRONICKEL, I to had many many rolls of nickels but exchanged them for boxs of cents, you will never run out of cents to search, still a lot of wheats to be had plus a new batch of 2009 cents, they will only cost you 0.1 each god luck hunting them PEACE!!

Yep still a lot of wheats out there. However, Buffalos & WN's are even more fun to hunt. Besides, buffalo is much tastier than wheat.
Go to Top of Page

Cody8404
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
602 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2009 :  16:35:39  Show Profile Send Cody8404 a Private Message
Read an article once about, "nickel the poor man's silver."

Awake, O kings of the earth! Come ye, O, come ye, with your gold and your silver, to the help of my people, to the house of the daughters of Zion, to the help of the people of the God of this Land even Jesus Christ.
Go to Top of Page

moboman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2555 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2009 :  22:36:05  Show Profile Send moboman a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by slickeast

I just toss all my nickels in a bucket. I'll look at them in 20 years if they are worth more than face. I will just pass them on to my 5 year old when she is older. I hope she won't mind a few tons of copper pennies and nickels in her inheritance. And probably a ton or so of junk silver.

Wish my dad left me with that kinda loot.

My dad was a hoarder...of flea market finds.

she should love you, no inheritance tax if she's smart. uhh, if she wants to break the law that is.......

"99% of all lawyers give the rest of them a bad name"

Go to Top of Page

Ponce
Penny Hoarding Member

Cuba
630 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2009 :  12:09:52  Show Profile Send Ponce a Private Message
Like I stated before, I have all my loose change from the past 32 years and never check them out for what they are........to tell you the truth I hope that I never have to do so.

At one time I started to count one of my five 5 gallos plastic water jugs and after going down for about two inches I gave up......did find some silver in those two inches.

"If you don't hold it, you don't own it"...Ponce
Go to Top of Page

Mikep2020
Penny Collector Member

USA
402 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2009 :  07:57:02  Show Profile Send Mikep2020 a Private Message
Now that Nickels are treading higher up in the 70% melt value range, at what point would it make sense to start hoarding large volumes of nickels? 80%? 90%? Does anyone think there will be a point when nickel hoarding becomes mainstream and getting boxes from the bank might be difficult? Inflation is on the rise and maybe once it hits 90%+ melt value, I'm thinking banks might clamp down on releasing boxes to regular folks and only limit boxes to business customers only. Thoughts?
Go to Top of Page

Corsair
Penny Hoarding Member

811 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2009 :  13:31:55  Show Profile  Send Corsair a Yahoo! Message Send Corsair a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Mikep2020

Now that Nickels are treading higher up in the 70% melt value range, at what point would it make sense to start hoarding large volumes of nickels? 80%? 90%? Does anyone think there will be a point when nickel hoarding becomes mainstream and getting boxes from the bank might be difficult? Inflation is on the rise and maybe once it hits 90%+ melt value, I'm thinking banks might clamp down on releasing boxes to regular folks and only limit boxes to business customers only. Thoughts?

I'd say 120%. I mean, think of it this way. Even at that range, there is no way for the government to stop people from getting nickels. Copper pennies are not at 150%, and you can still find those just as easily. I say do not tie up your money in boxes and boxes of nickels, because the price can go down just as easily. And anyway, there's a melt ban, and nickels are not rare, so I don't think they'd be a premium on them. And in this case, that's my five cents on that topic.

So long, Realcent 1. Come visit us at Realcent.org!
Go to Top of Page

dakota1955
1000+ Penny Miser Member

2212 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2009 :  14:10:56  Show Profile  Send dakota1955 a Yahoo! Message Send dakota1955 a Private Message
I save all nickels before 1960. I rather store coppers for now but that may change shortly. Any major movement I could buy nickels in a hurry.
Go to Top of Page

buyingsilvers
Penny Collector Member

441 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2009 :  19:07:29  Show Profile Send buyingsilvers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by dakota1955

I save all nickels before 1960. I rather store coppers for now but that may change shortly. Any major movement I could buy nickels in a hurry.

What he said. Unless there's a movement to discontinue the nickel or change the composition, there really is no hurry to hoard nickels.
Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2009 :  19:47:37  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by buyingsilvers

quote:

What he said. Unless there's a movement to discontinue the nickel or change the composition, there really is no hurry to hoard nickels.

No hurry unless the banks stop selling them in bulk too. It takes time to acquire a lot of nickels even with the banks selling $100 boxes. I have over a metic ton of them and it wasn't quick or easy to buy them all.

Realcent.forumco.com disclosure. Please read.
All posts either by the members, moderators, and the administration of http://realcent.forumco.com are for your edification and amusement only. It is not the intent of realcent.forumco.com or its host to provide investment, medical, matrimonial, legal, security or tax advice and nothing posted here should be considered to be so. All rights reserved.

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

Carbonic Chris
Penny Sorter Member

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2009 :  21:06:36  Show Profile Send Carbonic Chris a Private Message
quote:
No hurry unless the banks stop selling them in bulk too. It takes time to acquire a lot of nickels even with the banks selling $100 boxes. I have over a metic ton of them and it wasn't quick or easy to buy them all.

I tend to agree. Why not acquire a few rolls of nickels every week in case there's a run on nickels in the future?

What's your CuNi Nickel to copper penny ratio in terms of FV?
Mine is about $1.00 Nickels to $4.00 copper pennies
Go to Top of Page

maoguinn
Penny Pincher Member

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2009 :  21:42:51  Show Profile Send maoguinn a Private Message
For now, I am just saving nickels in pocket change. When the composition of the nickel changes, then its time to hoard.
Go to Top of Page

theo
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
588 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2009 :  22:06:17  Show Profile Send theo a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Actually there is such a movement. . .

You must be logged in to see this link.

Go to Top of Page

buyingsilvers
Penny Collector Member

441 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2009 :  22:11:58  Show Profile Send buyingsilvers a Private Message
good to know. I maintain that there will be ample time to accumulate boxes of 100% cupro nickels. If I chose to, I could dump a 20 box order of nickels in today. Could go around to various banks picking up boxes without orders.

Only way that wouldn't be the case is if they freeze all the nickels in all the banks. Something I cannot see happening. Tying up significant amounts of capital in nickels is a complete waste unless your purpose is a metal hedge against SHTF.

Edited by - buyingsilvers on 06/01/2009 22:13:33
Go to Top of Page

Carbonic Chris
Penny Sorter Member

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2009 :  22:34:53  Show Profile Send Carbonic Chris a Private Message
What if the Feds decide to assign the nickel a FV of $0.10 overnight on the grounds of rising metal prices? They have to figure that 99% of people only have a handful of nickels on hand, so it won't affect the majority, but nickel hoarders stand to make a good profit.
Go to Top of Page

buyingsilvers
Penny Collector Member

441 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2009 :  22:40:25  Show Profile Send buyingsilvers a Private Message
When has the government ever reassigned the value of the coinage? It may become worth more than .05 to investors and refiners, but they will never reassign the value.

- Gold eagle face value of $2.5, $5, $10, $20... metal worth 50x face
- pre 65 90% silver coinage, face value of .1, .25, 1.0... metal worth 10x face
- 65-69 40% silver coinage, face value of .5... metal worth 4x face
- pre 82 95% copper coinage, face value of .01... metal worth 1.5x face

Edited by - buyingsilvers on 06/01/2009 22:46:09
Go to Top of Page

Carbonic Chris
Penny Sorter Member

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2009 :  22:45:08  Show Profile Send Carbonic Chris a Private Message
We live in a fairly backwards world where a 5 cent piece's melt value is almost 3x that of a 10 cent piece...
Go to Top of Page

Cupronickel
Penny Pincher Member

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2009 :  21:14:01  Show Profile Send Cupronickel a Private Message
quote:

good to know. I maintain that there will be ample time to accumulate boxes of 100% cupro nickels. If I chose to, I could dump a 20 box order of nickels in today. Could go around to various banks picking up boxes without orders.

Only way that wouldn't be the case is if they freeze all the nickels in all the banks. Something I cannot see happening. Tying up significant amounts of capital in nickels is a complete waste unless your purpose is a metal hedge against SHTF.

I basically agree. I'd rather put my FRNs into PMs rather than nickels. Even so, I've gone back to getting 4-5 rolls when I deposit my check. I surely don't miss the few FRNs. To me, it's just part of a rounded strategy of having PMs,accessible FRNs and tangibles.
Go to Top of Page

Sharkman
Penny Sorter Member

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2009 :  15:18:11  Show Profile Send Sharkman a Private Message
I keep all nickels I get in change as well as a $100 box of rolls. Worst case scenario is that I have to cash them in. I am just being diverse in metals. You never know when CuNi could get hot again but its good to have a stash.
Go to Top of Page

AGgressive Metal
Administrator

USA
1937 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2009 :  16:42:26  Show Profile Send AGgressive Metal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Carbonic Chris

What if the Feds decide to assign the nickel a FV of $0.10 overnight on the grounds of rising metal prices? They have to figure that 99% of people only have a handful of nickels on hand, so it won't affect the majority, but nickel hoarders stand to make a good profit.

Well, this has never happened. Every coin ever made by the US Mint is still legally just its face value - even $20 gold coins worth $1000+. Whether its a 1798 Cent or a 1900 silver dollar, the government considers them to be worth what is printed on them. If nickel price spikes, it will be no different than with silver in 1964 - they will stop using nickel, but the face value will still be the legal tender value.

And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel / For nothyng is better than lyberte / For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world.
-Caxton's edition of Aesop's Fables, 1484
Go to Top of Page

No82s
Penny Pincher Member

USA
198 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2009 :  23:45:03  Show Profile Send No82s a Private Message
When was CuNi ever hot?? I believe copper was hot and nickel was also but as a piece of melted metal? Not so much.

The difference between an optimist and a pessimist is that the pessimist is better informed.
Go to Top of Page

theo
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
588 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2009 :  11:01:17  Show Profile Send theo a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by AGgressive Metal

quote:
Originally posted by Carbonic Chris

Well, this has never happened. Every coin ever made by the US Mint is still legally just its face value - even $20 gold coins worth $1000+. Whether its a 1798 Cent or a 1900 silver dollar, the government considers them to be worth what is printed on them. If nickel price spikes, it will be no different than with silver in 1964 - they will stop using nickel, but the face value will still be the legal tender value.

I agree. The only change in value the Government would likely institute is a devaluation of the paper currency. (a $10 bill is now worth $1)

Although My main focus is silver coins and copper pennies, I try to buy between $10 and $20 worth of nickels. I separate any pre-1964s and I have even found a handful of war nickels. I'm guessing we have no more than a year before they change the metal content of the nickel.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2