Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Copper Penny Bullion Investing
 Sorting Percentages and Buying Reports XI
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2008 :  13:43:07  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HoardCopperByTheTon

quote:
Originally posted by Epaphras

I need to catch up on date sorting. My container is almost overflowing!

My buckets overfloweth also

You just need MORE buckets

Got some disturbing news yesterday. The bank manager at another of my banks told me corporate is putting the stranglehold on branch ordering of coins. They want to cut costs and ensure that fees get charged for coin orders for their merchant customers. Guess the branches were being too nice to their customers and not extracting a fee every time. This seems to be the latest squeeze in the banking industry out here. This is the third major bank chain to tell me of something like this happening. This will certainly make it harder to get boxes at the branches.. really hard for those of us with a bad penny habit. Has anyone else heard about this new trend at their banks yet?

Special orders are great as long as they last but they also send out a red flag to the corporate H.Q. that something stange is going on. I only buy one box at a time and spread my buying though out many banks and branches. Needless to say, I do a lot of drive buys.

Realcent.forumco.com disclosure. Please read.
All posts either by the members, moderators, and the administration of http://realcent.forumco.com are for your edification and amusement only. It is not the intent of realcent.forumco.com or its host to provide investment, medical, matrimonial, legal, security or tax advice and nothing posted here should be considered to be so. All rights reserved.

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

mickeyman
Penny Pincher Member

Canada
243 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2008 :  18:02:36  Show Profile Send mickeyman a Private Message
30 rolls Canadian nickels

278 .999 Ni (now at nearly 8000. Gonna take a long time to get that first ton.)
23%

Steel percentages seem to be rising, but nickel counts are still good. Maybe the CuNi nickels are being recovered first?

Not all who wander are lost.
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2008 :  02:12:21  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ardent Listener
Special orders are great as long as they last but they also send out a red flag to the corporate H.Q. that something stange is going on. I only buy one box at a time and spread my buying though out many banks and branches. Needless to say, I do a lot of drive buys.

That method doesn't work for me.. gas is too expensive out here in CA. and I need way too many pennies to do it a box at a time. I do drive bys also, but it seems it is hard to even get 1 box from a bank. I spread my action around to many banks and branches and keep my orders small (8-24 boxes) so they blend in with the rest of the coin ordering

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Now selling Copper pennies. 1.6x plus shipping. Limited amounts available.
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2008 :  02:25:22  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
Happy Days are Here Again!

After the run of duds lately and some low percentages it is nice when you get a sweet batch.
Not only did I not get any duds today.. but I finally found my first Indian of the year! As a matter of fact, I found 6 of them! With everybody posting about finding Indians I was beginning to think even NotABigDeal was going to find one before me this year. Found so many wheats I had to use a counting machine to count them rather than count them by hand!

Sorting Report for today:
15,000 coins - 6 Boxes
3935 Copper
958 Wheats - Including a 1909 VDB in XF - Darn, no S. Also found a nice 1914 with the invisible D.
5 Steel cents - Not included in copper count because they weren't 1943 coppers - Darn!
15 Canadian - Including 1 king
1 Panama cent
1 Equador cent
3 mint set tokens - 2P, 1D
No partridge in a pear tree and no darn dimes!
26.23%

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Edited by - HoardCopperByTheTon on 02/25/2008 02:25:56
Go to Top of Page

PennyProspector
Penny Pincher Member

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2008 :  07:51:11  Show Profile Send PennyProspector a Private Message
Last night sort

5956 total copper (29.78%)
34 wheat
1 plastic penny

1 1901 INDIAN!!!! I went from never seeing one to getting 4 in a month!

Happy Prospecting!
Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2008 :  08:02:01  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
quote:

Happy Days are Here Again!

After the run of duds lately and some low percentages it is nice when you get a sweet batch.
Not only did I not get any duds today.. but I finally found my first Indian of the year! As a matter of fact, I found 6 of them! With everybody posting about finding Indians I was beginning to think even NotABigDeal was going to find one before me this year. Found so many wheats I had to use a counting machine to count them rather than count them by hand!

Still no luck here....I admit, I've been doing more buying than sorting. Still trying though....

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2008 :  10:48:47  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by PennyProspector

Last night sort

5956 total copper (29.78%)
34 wheat
1 plastic penny

1 1901 INDIAN!!!! I went from never seeing one to getting 4 in a month!

Congrats on the Indian! Maybe NotABigDeal will find one this year. Do you think the the number of Indians and older wheats members are finding is a sign of the slipping ecomomy? Now is definately a good time to be looking for the older stuff in our sorts.
The number of plasic pennies in the rolls is probably a sign of the slipping ecomomy also.. I found one this week also. Of course some folks are so young they think "plastic" is money. As the ecomomy slips further we probably need to keep an eye out for short rolls.. especially when getting rolls of higher denomination coins.

Go to Top of Page

El Dee
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
547 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2008 :  12:02:48  Show Profile Send El Dee a Private Message
quote:

Do you think the the number of Indians and older wheats members are finding is a sign of the slipping ecomomy?

The number of plasic pennies in the rolls is probably a sign of the slipping ecomomy also.. I found one this week also.

Naa - it's a sign of lobby machines. Along with screws, paper clips, pistachio shells and washers. Trying to divine the state of the economy by the number of found Indians is like trying to divine the state of the economy by the weather news.

My wheat percentage is a consistent .0035%
If it jumps, I'd be surprised. And delighted.

Trust the government? Ask an Indian.
Go to Top of Page

misteroman
Administrator

USA
2565 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2008 :  12:12:26  Show Profile Send misteroman a Private Message
I found 17 wheats in my 1st box and now 8 in my 2nd box I finished last night.
I think people are hoarding wheats now!!!!!!
Derek

Buying CU cents!!!! Paying 1.2 unlimited amounts wanted. Can pick up if near Ohio area.
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2008 :  16:13:08  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by misteroman

I think people are hoarding wheats now!!!!!!
Derek

Guilty How did you find me out? I have only been doing it for 40 years.

Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2008 :  16:59:30  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
Sorted some today.

$200 in Brinks boxes
5290 Cu
26.5%

Not too bad. No Indians....yet.

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

klava
Penny Pincher Member

USA
192 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2008 :  17:44:14  Show Profile  Send klava an AOL message Send klava a Private Message
Well I searched a little over 36 bucks worth most all were from a friend of mines penny bank lol. Heres the totals

Searched-3632
Coppers-928 25.5%
Wheates-2
CAN-2

Very low wheat count but I figure with this being my buddies change he may have picked them out. Ill take it. Just been doing them when I have spare time. Im almost up to 20 bucks in copper I hope to be able to fill up a bag soon.

HH
-K
Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2008 :  18:44:02  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
Bought three boxes at three different banks today. All three were 15 pounds each.

All posts either by the members, moderators, and the administration of http://realcent.forumco.com are for your edification and amusement only. It is not the intent of realcent.forumco.com or its host to provide investment, medical, matrimonial, legal, security or tax advice and nothing posted here should be considered to be so. All rights reserved.

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2008 :  18:57:04  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
quote:

Bought three boxes at three different banks today. All three were 15 pounds each.

If the price of gas goes up much more you might start having to get 2 boxes at every bank.

Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2008 :  19:31:18  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
quote:

quote:

If the price of gas goes up much more you might start having to get 2 boxes at every bank.

I'll tell you what, with the three banks I hit today, they could watch me walk into the next bank(s) across the barking lots out of the teller auto windows. And I think they did.

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

Epaphras
Penny Collector Member

USA
382 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2008 :  21:30:09  Show Profile Send Epaphras a Private Message
Sorted $50.50

773 coppers=15.31%
down 2.25% from last sort
Lowest percentage of the year.
Go to Top of Page

PennyProspector
Penny Pincher Member

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2008 :  23:14:52  Show Profile Send PennyProspector a Private Message
Sorted 10,000 tonight

3,148 total copper (31.48%)
Only 16 wheat...
(Including a 1911-D I would call VF, Sweet! I guess Its about quality and not quantity)

2 Dimes

and 3 bent pennies that jambed the Ryedale... I had to hammer them flat again to put back into the wild (The goverment should pay all of us for all of the coin repairs done to keep the wheels of industry rolling... ok at least the wheels in the bank counters rolling!)

pp

Happy Prospecting!

Edited by - PennyProspector on 02/25/2008 23:16:24
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2008 :  23:37:14  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by PennyProspector

and 3 bent pennies that jambed the Ryedale... I had to hammer them flat again to put back into the wild (The goverment should pay all of us for all of the coin repairs done to keep the wheels of industry rolling... ok at least the wheels in the bank counters rolling!)

I use a heavy duty vise that is bolted to my workbench to straighten those out. It is faster and easier than hammering.

Go to Top of Page

misteroman
Administrator

USA
2565 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2008 :  23:49:36  Show Profile Send misteroman a Private Message
Hoard,
Have you really been saving them for 40 yrs?That's one of the bad things about being younger.I guess I can still save 59-82's pretty reasonably I guess.You guys had all the fun I guess.
Derek

Buying CU cents!!!! Paying 1.2 unlimited amounts wanted. Can pick up if near Ohio area.
Go to Top of Page

wolvesdad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2008 :  02:27:13  Show Profile Send wolvesdad a Private Message
Here goes:
Picked up 4 boxes and one $50 bag today.
3 boxes weighed 15 lbs give or take an ounce
one box weighed 14lbs 3-4 ounce
I opened it first, weighed all the rolls: 127 grams (on weight watchers scale) Any that were over 127 I opened... 13 had 3-6 coppers per roll. 3 had 1-2 coppers...I think all the 127grams had one copper per roll...didn't open 34 rolls
Don't want to do the math...But Low Percentage...but not a "DUD" box... very weird to me... too even distribution to be dump from other's sort, right?

"May your percentages ever increase!"
Go to Top of Page

wolvesdad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2008 :  02:32:04  Show Profile Send wolvesdad a Private Message
Finished a $50 bag I had acquired last week.
23% copper
of which 23 were wheats
No Indians
Went 6 hours and finished today's(yesterdays) $50 bag acquisition:
26% copper
only 12 wheats
a handful of canadians
No dimes, No Indians.. :(
One PA state penny! :)

"May your percentages ever increase!"
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

35 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2008 :  03:39:23  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
"Have you really been saving them for 40 yrs?That's one of the bad things about being younger.I guess I can still save 59-82's pretty reasonably I guess.You guys had all the fun I guess.
Derek"

People started saving wheats back in the 60s as potential collectibles, that nothing new. Happy hunting.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

35 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2008 :  03:46:54  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
However, one thing that did just occur was that I found a 1910 barber dime in proof condition on ebay from a guy in Switzerland, and if i had been spending my time sorting coins i may have missed it. a 2000 dollar profit, just by hitting his auction. later.
Go to Top of Page

horgad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1641 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2008 :  07:29:14  Show Profile Send horgad a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by glenn

However, one thing that did just occur was that I found a 1910 barber dime in proof condition on ebay from a guy in Switzerland, and if i had been spending my time sorting coins i may have missed it. a 2000 dollar profit, just by hitting his auction. later.

I don't think anybody cares if you spend your time sorting pennies or fishing on E-Bay or flying kites. The funny thing is that you seem to care how we spend our time. Your arguments are not driven by logic, so what is your motive?

I get the feeling sometimes that you are trying really, really hard not to convince us that we shouldn't be machine sorting pennies, but to convince yourself that you shouldn't be machine sorting pennies. I think deep in your heart there is a monster penny hoarder trying to break free, but some Freudian complex is keeping him locked up...

Edited by - horgad on 02/26/2008 07:32:26
Go to Top of Page

PennyProspector
Penny Pincher Member

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2008 :  08:55:35  Show Profile Send PennyProspector a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by wolvesdad

Here goes:
Picked up 4 boxes and one $50 bag today.
3 boxes

Good score on the 50 bag!

They are harder to get than one would think, banks aren't used to selling them to regular joes, but if you can get the banks to give them to you regularly you can sort b4 they go through brinks!!

also saves haveing to break open the rolls.

Gary

Happy Prospecting!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.32 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2