Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Copper Penny Bullion Investing
 Sorting Percentages and Buying Reports XI
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2008 :  15:44:09  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Epaphras

Wow, that is the lowest percentage I have seen you get, HCBTT.

Getting a dud box can really hammer your percentages. But one of the other boxes only had 297 in it. The percentages for me are starting to slip a little. Guess I will just have to "sort more"

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Now selling Copper pennies. 1.6x plus shipping. Limited amounts available.
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2008 :  15:51:08  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by aboxaweek

When i had went into the only bank in town, i had asked for another box of pennies.
They said that they only get $100 a week and i could gex MAXIMUM 1 box per week.
I guess I'll just ask a a couple of different banks out of town for pennies, and also get rid of my pitiful pile of zincs. They also dont want to take my zincs since they have to run them through their machine.

If they are willing to give you "1 box per week" that is all you really need, right? That is actually more than some banks will give you. The zinc disposal thing worries me though. If they have a machine it shouldn't be a problem for them to take your zinc pennies. Would it work better for them if you brought them in loose in a bag rather than rolling them so they could run them through their machine without having to break them out of the rolls? Zinc disposal is the hardest part of this hobby. If you can't convert your zinc back into cash quickly you run out of money way too fast.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Edited by - HoardCopperByTheTon on 02/21/2008 15:52:40
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2008 :  16:05:54  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by horgad

"there were my 2 older wheat cents! A 1919 and a 1925-S in VG condition"

You have inspired my to open my dud boxes and do some whole roll sorting. I know that I have let a few good wheats slip through my hands. Maybe they have come back to me. Maybe Brink's is helping us sort our zinc piles by rolling them up so that we can do quick whole roll sorts for old wheats...

Let us know what you find. You have to figure whoever is doing all this sorting doesn't have any better technology than we do. If they miss any coppers, they will probably be older wheats.

Go to Top of Page

aboxaweek
Penny Collector Member

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2008 :  20:30:45  Show Profile Send aboxaweek a Private Message
Before I get my next box, i think i'm gonna find a bank i could make a bi-weekly or monthly stop at to drop off pennies. Or whenever my parents can bring me there. :)
Also by some at that bank before i drop them off.

*HUCKABEE*
___08'____
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2008 :  21:05:46  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
Sounds like a good idea aboxaweek. You might see if there is a credit union somewhere near you. Sometimes they are nicer.

Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2008 :  12:00:35  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
I bought another box today ($125.00 for the week). Again, it weighed in at 15 pounds.

Realcent.forumco.com disclosure. Please read.
All posts either by the members, moderators, and the administration of http://realcent.forumco.com are for your edification and amusement only. It is not the intent of realcent.forumco.com or its host to provide investment, medical, matrimonial, legal, security or tax advice and nothing posted here should be considered to be so. All rights reserved.

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

Epaphras
Penny Collector Member

USA
382 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2008 :  15:21:08  Show Profile Send Epaphras a Private Message
Purchased 10 boxes and $13.50 costumer rolls

First trip:
$103.00 sorted
1848 copper=17.94%
1 dime

May sort the rest tonight. I need to catch up on making my rolls.
Go to Top of Page

aloneibreak
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
672 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2008 :  15:57:07  Show Profile Send aloneibreak a Private Message
well both my source banks "forgot" to order pennies for this week so i guess im gonna deplete my small reserve pile over the weekend. i managed to dump $500 in zinc yesterday so i even had a little extra cash. im gettin nervous. the 2008 quarters have been here a week so i know the cents aren't far behind...

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2008 :  19:12:27  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
Actually I wouldn't mind a few boxes of 2008 pennies while they still have some value. I am usually easy to please.. if they are old I am happy, if they are new I am happy. I think they may have found a way to make me unhappy though. I picked up 8 brinks boxes today from the bank I suspect was the source of my last 4 dud boxes (mixed date all zinc) and I have a bad feeling about them. I checked part of one roll by hand and didn't see any copper. Will check the weights on the scale tonight. Fortunately I was able to pick up 128 CWR pennies, 12 BWR pennies, 32 CWR nickels, 50 BWR nickels, and 63 BWR dimes to go through on my other drive bys. And I also have a couple of pretty good stacks in reserve if those 8 boxes I got today turn out to be duds.

Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2008 :  04:15:23  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
Well, my worst fears were realized. Today was not a good day for sorting. Is it possible to get a negative percentage? Not only was the first box I sorted all zinc, but it was a penny short! There was an extra penny in box 7 so it balanced out. Since these 8 boxes were from the same bank I suspected gave me 4 out of 4 duds last week at least I know where I don't want to be getting my pennies in the future. A shame, cause it was so convenient picking up there every Friday at lunch time.

Sorting Report for today:
20,000 coins - 8 Brinks wrapped boxes
3 copper cents
.015% - That's right, 15 thousandths of 1 percent!!!
I think that qualifies as one of the lowest percentages ever reported on this board for circulated cents.
Hey, at least I didn't get totally skunked.. I did find 3 coppers!
Of course none of those coppers was what chevrolet454ss would consider a good one.. one was bent, one was corroded and the third one was edge dinged and scratched.. LOL.
What is it mormanmetal always says? "More than I had before" Yep, 3 more.

It could have been worse.. I could have gotten 3 or 4 hundred from that bank today instead of just 2.

Also sorted 64 rolls of dimes.
Found a non-silver Canadian
a British 5 pence
2 pennies - 1 zinc and 1 copper - Hey that's almost as many coppers as I got out of 8 boxes
These pennies must be to make up for all the dimes I get in penny rolls. Balances things out
1 Mercury dime - First mercury dime I found in a dime roll.. found one in a penny roll earlier this month.
Date was 1941 - I looked, and I looked, and I looked, and I looked.. but I just couldn't see a 2 over that 1.. bummer.

Guess I will have to just "sort more" tommorow. It can't get any worse, can it?

Edited by - HoardCopperByTheTon on 02/23/2008 04:18:37
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2008 :  10:08:06  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
Well, back to the copper mine today. I'm not going to let a few dud boxes discourage me. Pretty sure I have all the boxes from that one source bank cleaned out of the stacks now. So now those stacks contain sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet, pure (well sorta pure) 80/20 mix. I am confident that my copper percentages will be a little better today.

As I always say "If your percentages are low.. just sort more."

Edited by - HoardCopperByTheTon on 02/23/2008 10:09:21
Go to Top of Page

El Dee
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
547 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2008 :  10:18:47  Show Profile Send El Dee a Private Message
10 Boxes - 25,000 coins

1 dime

7533 copper 30.13%
Of this:
120 Canadian CU
94 wheats

Trust the government? Ask an Indian.
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2008 :  10:43:17  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by El Dee

10 Boxes - 25,000 coins

1 dime

7533 copper 30.13%
Of this:
120 Canadian CU
94 wheats

I'm jealous El Dee.. that is much better than my percentage.

Go to Top of Page

El Dee
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
547 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2008 :  11:57:55  Show Profile Send El Dee a Private Message
It's been a pretty constant 32%(Ignoring boxes of fresh 2007s - those factored would make it 30%)

But, this is the second batch I've had at 30%

Here's hoping your dud box era is over.

Trust the government? Ask an Indian.
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2008 :  12:07:41  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
Heck, I wouldn't mind it they were at least shiny.. but this is depressing. I am a glutton for punishment though.. I will probably pick up some boxes from that bank again next week just to be sure. Maybe I can swap these duds for "real" pennies today.

Go to Top of Page

horgad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1641 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2008 :  14:17:08  Show Profile Send horgad a Private Message
quote:

Let us know what you find. You have to figure whoever is doing all this sorting doesn't have any better technology than we do. If they miss any coppers, they will probably be older wheats.

I searched through about 5 boxes of duds using a scale on the rolls. It seemed like I found an abnormal number of wheats for the few coppers that I managed to save, but nothing old. My worst box had 2 coppers in it and 2 extra zincs. I won't be tyring that again anytime soon.
Go to Top of Page

Tourney64
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1035 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2008 :  17:19:52  Show Profile Send Tourney64 a Private Message
Sorted 2 - $25 Brinks Boxes-Sealed
Box #1 and #2 of the 10 I picked up this week
1457 Copper 29.1 %

Not Included in copper #'s
11 Canadian CU
10 Canadian Other
18 Wheats None older than 1940
2 Dimes

Both boxes weighed 15 lb each. Sorry my scale only goes in half lb increments.
This is my best percentage of Brinks boxes in several months.

Go to Top of Page

c140cessna
Penny Collector Member

USA
419 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2008 :  22:00:23  Show Profile Send c140cessna a Private Message
Sort Report: Saturday 2-23-08
Did not sort last week...so, big sort today....

US Copper:
Amount Sorted = $1750 FV (70 "boxes")
Copper Hoarded = $496 FV (19.8 "boxes")
Added to Hoard = 335 lbs
Copper % = 28% (typical for SE Michigan is 29%)
Composition: 100% Credit Union Loose Bags
US Cu = 4760 lbs
Canadian Cu = 2645 lbs
Total Cu = 7405 lbs

Ryedale Machine(s) Total Sorted: 5,793,000 since Mar 2007.
Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2008 :  00:27:49  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
On a whim(?) today I stopped by a "strange" bank....No pennies but a few nickels, go figure.

$50 CWR nickels
15 old wrappers....All contained nice condition early '60's.
7 complete rolls of '03 P. Not a coin grader, but these are ALL very nice. Not really any value, but hey I'll keep them
3 rolls of plain old mixed nickels. In one of those rolls I found a '43 S that looked like IT had fought in the War. Looks melted on half of it, pretty sad shape. It is however silver, and that is what counts....

Side note, my girlfriends mom now works at a small credit union....They would be more than happy to sell me any/all of their change. They have a almost complete bag of half dollars that has been in the vault for years.....Sounds good to me! A source of customer bags will be nice....

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

misteroman
Administrator

USA
2565 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2008 :  00:30:34  Show Profile Send misteroman a Private Message
Not,
Do credit unions on get rolled coins?I belong to 2 diff. credit unions and that could actually work out quite well.
Keep us posted on the halves as well
Derek

Buying CU cents!!!! Paying 1.2 unlimited amounts wanted. Can pick up if near Ohio area.
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2008 :  04:25:56  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
My percentages have been a bit low lately.. so I decided to "SORT MORE!"

I managed to get rid of my dud boxes today. Deposited 3 at one bank and swapped 6 at another. The one I did the swapping at didn't have many pennies so I had to take a box of nickels along with 2 penny boxes. Both boxes, which were from another branch of Dud Central Bank actually had some copper weight to them when I checked them on the scale so I started with those.

Today's sort was definately better than yesterday. No Indians, no mercury dimes.. but at least I found a few coppers today.
20,000 sorted - 8 boxes
4039 copper
63 wheat
166 Canadian - including 29 kings and 14 rock doves
1 Chinese aluminum coin
1 plastic play money penny
and of course.. 5 darn dimes!
20.2% - Up 20.185% from yesterday!!!

-a few more than a lot more than I got yesterday..

Edited by - HoardCopperByTheTon on 02/24/2008 11:25:49
Go to Top of Page

Epaphras
Penny Collector Member

USA
382 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2008 :  09:59:56  Show Profile Send Epaphras a Private Message
2/22/2008 Sorting report

$160.50 sorted
2819 copper=17.56% copper. Down 0.38% from yesterday
1 steel penny
1 dime

I need to catch up on date sorting. My container is almost overflowing!
Go to Top of Page

fiatboy
Administrator

912 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2008 :  10:34:20  Show Profile Send fiatboy a Private Message
$100 sorted

23.7% copper
48 wheats
1 King
1 darn dime

"Bart, it's not about how many stocks you have, it's about how much copper wire you can get out of the building." --- Homer Simpson
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2008 :  11:34:25  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Epaphras

I need to catch up on date sorting. My container is almost overflowing!

My buckets overfloweth also

You just need MORE buckets

Got some disturbing news yesterday. The bank manager at another of my banks told me corporate is putting the stranglehold on branch ordering of coins. They want to cut costs and ensure that fees get charged for coin orders for their merchant customers. Guess the branches were being too nice to their customers and not extracting a fee every time. This seems to be the latest squeeze in the banking industry out here. This is the third major bank chain to tell me of something like this happening. This will certainly make it harder to get boxes at the branches.. really hard for those of us with a bad penny habit. Has anyone else heard about this new trend at their banks yet?

Go to Top of Page

PennyProspector
Penny Pincher Member

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2008 :  13:30:40  Show Profile Send PennyProspector a Private Message
afternoon sort

15000 sorted
4436 Total copper (29.57%)

44 wheat
1 1943 Steel
1 1904 INDIAN!!!
(again my daughter wouldn't share lol, I wonder where she got that coin hoarding trait?)

Happy Prospecting!

Edited by - PennyProspector on 02/24/2008 13:32:20
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2