Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Copper Penny Bullion Investing
 Sorting Percentages and Buying Reports XI
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

aboxaweek
Penny Collector Member

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2008 :  10:30:10  Show Profile Send aboxaweek a Private Message
Just joined a minute ago. Last night after my solo/ensemble, I went to the bank to get a roll of halves and five bucks in pennies.

pennies-500
coppers-177
zincs-318
canada-2
wheat-3 (1941 1946 1958)
copper%=35.4%

halves-one roll
16 regulars
4 1976 i keep those.

Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2008 :  10:34:43  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
Welcome. I like the name. You will see that you will soon do way more than a box a week....very addictive. Once again, welcome. Nice percentages.

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

c140cessna
Penny Collector Member

USA
419 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2008 :  14:11:46  Show Profile Send c140cessna a Private Message
Sunday Zinc Dump: $350 Zinc flushed back into the system. Love Sunday Banking!

I deal in 100% CWR/Loose Bag....I need to start getting a few boxes to just check the FED recycle percentages...wonder it me/others in the area are having an impact? I wonder where the $350 I dumped today will end up?

Have not done my weekly sort yet...heading to the garage to sort and watch the Daytona 500...
Go to Top of Page

Tourney64
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1035 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2008 :  15:52:14  Show Profile Send Tourney64 a Private Message
I had a big dump today too, but not that kind.

Sorted 10 CWR - $5
142 Copper 28.4 %

Not Included in copper #'s
1 Canadian CU
0 Canadian Other
2 Wheats
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2008 :  16:20:05  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
Welcome to the forum aboxaweek. Wow, great percentages! They are actually even a little better than you posted. Most of us count the wheats and the copper Canadians in our copper percentages and just list them seperately. It's great that a younger guy has seen early on what many of us older guys took a while to realize. When I was your age I used to get 100% copper every time I sorted a bag or some rolls. Of course that was long before they started making zinc cents. Back then we would go through the bags to pull out all the wheat cents. There were a lot more wheat cents in the bags back in the good ol' days.. LOL.
What got you started on sorting pennies and how did you find this board?

I remember when those Bicentennial halves first came out. Everybody was saving those and the quarters too. Now, 32 years later, they still aren't worth anything. If I saved those every time I came across them in half dollar rolls I would quickly go broke. Save a few of the nicer ones for your collection, but don't tie up all your hoard capital in those half dollars.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Now selling Copper pennies. 1.6x plus shipping. Limited amounts available.
Go to Top of Page

PennyProspector
Penny Pincher Member

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2008 :  17:32:39  Show Profile Send PennyProspector a Private Message
afternoon sort

10,000 sorted

3,547 copper! (35.47%)
24 wheat

I think aboxaweek is rubbing off on my % also!
Welcome aboxaweek! hopefully we both can keep up the high percentages!

Happy Prospecting!
Go to Top of Page

aboxaweek
Penny Collector Member

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2008 :  19:11:06  Show Profile Send aboxaweek a Private Message
first, i found it on coinflation which i found while going through items on ebay.
if you want to know, i am from the midwest, just to give ya the idea
I wish i would have found a bank today that was open.Now i'm gonna be bored... no school on monday.

*HUCKABEE*
___08'____
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2008 :  19:21:41  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
The banks are closed Monday too. That is why I always recommend keeping a few boxes stashed in reserve.. just so you don't get bored.

At a box a week these would last awhile.. and I wouldn't even have to deplete the other stack.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Go to Top of Page

PennyProspector
Penny Pincher Member

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2008 :  20:33:51  Show Profile Send PennyProspector a Private Message
Unbelievable Night Sort!!!

10,000 sorted (2 bags)

2,910 total copper (29.10%)

109 Total Wheat!!!!
(15 pre 1940's...Including 1916D, 1917S, 1918, 1919 & 3-1920's None valuable but still exciting to get)

1- Dime
1- 1932 Canadian
1- 1980 un centisimo (panama)
1- 1907 Indian Head!!! (only the 2nd ever for me... my daughter actually let me have it)

most of the wheats came out of just one of the 2 bags and at one point while my daughter & I where both pulling out treasure on top of each other, my 7 year old shut off the ryedale looked at me and said this is super fun tonight!

P.P.

Happy Prospecting!

Edited by - PennyProspector on 02/17/2008 20:43:18
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2008 :  00:08:08  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
Congrats on the Indian, PennyProspector!

I had an unbelievable sort tonight too.
It started out just fine with 8 darn dimes out of the first box and running at my normal 20.44% through the first 5 boxes.. then the major skunking began! I ran 2 rolls through the machine and noticed no copper came out. I remembered stories that others had reported here about dud mixed date Brinks boxes so I decided to start checking the roll weights. Yep, you guessed it.. all the rolls were about 125.5-126 grams. The first box had 0 coppers in it. The next box had 1, and the box after that only had 8. Using the scale quickly identified the few rolls that only had 1 copper each in them. Some of the fastest sorting I have done in a while. Hope these dud boxes are not a sign of things to come. I spot checked rolls from another 2 boxes and they seemed normal so maybe I only got 3 rotten ones. I might have to break out the bigger scale and just start checking box weights like horgad.

Sorting Report for tonight:
20,000 coins - 8 boxes
2564 copper
8 darn dimes
52 wheats
9 Canadian
1 German 5 Phennig
12.82% Ouch! - Would have been 20.44% if you threw out the duds

If I keep chipping away at this rate I might actually be able to keep the stacks from growing any more.

Go to Top of Page

PennyProspector
Penny Pincher Member

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2008 :  01:49:32  Show Profile Send PennyProspector a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HoardCopperByTheTon

Sorry about the Zinks!

Hey! but I have this friend I know that says if your percentages are low....just sort more!
(wise words from a wise man)

Happy Prospecting!

Edited by - PennyProspector on 02/18/2008 01:50:37
Go to Top of Page

TXTim
Penny Hoarding Member

629 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2008 :  07:16:30  Show Profile Send TXTim a Private Message
Three bags done this weekend - all of them had quite a few 08's in them.
Copper dropped from 19.5% to 17.8% - maybe from the influx of fresh 08's.

Beer is my currency.
Go to Top of Page

wolvesdad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2008 :  08:09:49  Show Profile Send wolvesdad a Private Message
Sorted 20 rolls last night and got:

263 Cu's
including
1 wheat
and 2 canadian

26% which is about average for me.

"May your percentages ever increase!"
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2008 :  10:20:29  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by PennyProspector

quote:
Originally posted by HoardCopperByTheTon

Sorry about the Zinks!

Hey! but I have this friend I know that says if your percentages are low....just sort more!
(wise words from a wise man)

LOL.. sage advice indeed.. but at 0-8 coppers per box it's gonna have to be a whole bunch more! At least the sorting goes fast with these empty boxes.

Go to Top of Page

Hirbonzig
Penny Collector Member

USA
451 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2008 :  09:05:54  Show Profile Send Hirbonzig a Private Message
A quick 10 rolls yesterday got me a plastic play money cent and my oldest wheat (a 1911) to date. One roll had 4 wheats in it!

Copper ran at 34.33% for the 10 rolls.
Go to Top of Page

mickeyman
Penny Pincher Member

Canada
243 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2008 :  16:58:57  Show Profile Send mickeyman a Private Message
Twenty rolls of Canadian nickels.

217 .999 Ni 27%

Very low steel count. A pretty good day

Not all who wander are lost.
Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2008 :  17:36:07  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
On my way into the bank to pick up some boxes I was actually nervous because of the recent horror stories from you guys about dud boxes....Whew....ten boxes all visually inspected and they all seem okay. Thinking I better concentrate on buying....

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2008 :  18:39:24  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
Picked up three boxes of pennies today. Two had the seal broken and were all hand rolled. The third had the brinks seal intact. All three weighed in at 15 pounds each.

Realcent.forumco.com disclosure. Please read.
All posts either by the members, moderators, and the administration of http://realcent.forumco.com are for your edification and amusement only. It is not the intent of realcent.forumco.com or its host to provide investment, medical, matrimonial, legal, security or tax advice and nothing posted here should be considered to be so. All rights reserved.

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2008 :  18:45:02  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
Ouch! Do you think you may have got a couple of your own boxes back? I always put a big Z on the boxes when I turn them in just in case I get them back.

Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2008 :  18:53:11  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
Boxes back? I have never returned a penny back to a bank yet! Any box heavier than 14.45 lbs. should be 25% copper or more.

Realcent.forumco.com disclosure. Please read.
All posts either by the members, moderators, and the administration of http://realcent.forumco.com are for your edification and amusement only. It is not the intent of realcent.forumco.com or its host to provide investment, medical, matrimonial, legal, security or tax advice and nothing posted here should be considered to be so. All rights reserved.

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

aboxaweek
Penny Collector Member

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2008 :  22:04:17  Show Profile Send aboxaweek a Private Message
just got and finished my first box today.

2500 pennies
1690 zincers
797 coppers (with wheat)
13 canada
5 wheat
1 engraved (1970)two heads
31.8% copper

*HUCKABEE*
___08'____
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2008 :  02:37:10  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
Couldn't resist knocking off a few boxes tonight. My Ryedale is running soooooo sweet since Andy rushed me out a replacement coin cup. It will probably be a while before most of you run into the problem I did. You have to remember I have run a few million pennies through my machine.. so if you can wear something out, I probably will long before anyone else. But if you are experiencing doubling up jams of the coins under the coin wheel you might want to remove the coin cup from the hopper and check it for wear. After a few million coins sometimes the coin disk can wear a little ridge in the bottom of the coin cup. This allows just enough play in the coin disk for it to start doubling up on a regular basis (very frustrating) A $5 part fixes it right up and it runs good as new for at least a few million more pennies.

Coin sorting report for tonight:
10,000 coins - 4 boxes
1240 Copper
14 wheats
3 Canadian
1 darn dime
12.4%

The fourth box was another dud. Probably from that same group I picked up last Friday. Not only was it a dud, but the SOB's even shorted me 1 penny in one of the rolls.. I checked the rolls on my scale and only 2 rolls looked promising. I ran them through the machine and... bummer.. nothing! I couldn't believe I got completely skunked. I could have sworn those 2 rolls were .4 to .5 grams heavy.. there should have been one copper in each roll. Where were my 2 cents, darnit! Then I thought hey, I didn't put the zinc rejects in my bright plastic tray and check them. I dumped the zincs in the the tray and voila.. there were my 2 older wheat cents! A 1919 and a 1925-S in VG condition (a little better date). Wouldn't it be funny if I was somehow getting my own zinc rejects back in this Brinks box after they had been sent back in and rerolled, and somehow I missed these 2 older wheats but they came back to give me a second chance at them? Maybe I should start painting a few zincs purple and dropping them in the bag to see if I ever get my own zinc sent back to me through the system.

Edited by - HoardCopperByTheTon on 02/21/2008 02:50:57
Go to Top of Page

Epaphras
Penny Collector Member

USA
382 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2008 :  14:22:46  Show Profile Send Epaphras a Private Message
Wow, that is the lowest percentage I have seen you get, HCBTT. Tomorrow I pick up a couple of boxes. Hearing of the recent percentages and dud boxes from others, I am hoping that trend has not come to GA (yet).
I have thought about marking some pennies to see if I get any of them back. I think it would be a good experiment.

Sorting report for today (purchased yesterday)
$5.00 CWR
100 coppers=20%
one wheat
Go to Top of Page

horgad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1641 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2008 :  14:36:30  Show Profile Send horgad a Private Message
"there were my 2 older wheat cents! A 1919 and a 1925-S in VG condition"

You have inspired my to open my dud boxes and do some whole roll sorting. I know that I have let a few good wheats slip through my hands. Maybe they have come back to me. Maybe Brink's is helping us sort our zinc piles by rolling them up so that we can do quick whole roll sorts for old wheats...
Go to Top of Page

aboxaweek
Penny Collector Member

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2008 :  15:35:04  Show Profile Send aboxaweek a Private Message
When i had went into the only bank in town, i had asked for another box of pennies.
They said that they only get $100 a week and i could gex MAXIMUM 1 box per week.
I guess I'll just ask a a couple of different banks out of town for pennies, and also get rid of my pitiful pile of zincs. They also dont want to take my zincs since they have to run them through their machine.

*HUCKABEE*
___08'____
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2