Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Copper Penny Bullion Investing
 Sorting Percentages and Buying Reports XI
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2008 :  06:38:25  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
Searched the 13 nickel rolls....Not as good of luck as HoardCopperByTheTon. I did find one silver, a 1943 S. It came out of a roll with an extra nickel. Quite a lot of older dates. Two old looking rolls were full of nice late '50's, early '60's. Oh well, no Buffalo. Been a bit since I found a War nickel in a purchased roll. Maybe get more this weekend....

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

mickeyman
Penny Pincher Member

Canada
243 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2008 :  19:37:20  Show Profile Send mickeyman a Private Message
Ten rolls Canadian nickels

109 .999 Ni = 27.25% - well above average around here.

Four rolls were from a customer who must have stopped gathering in the late 1990's. They had no steel.

Sometime in the late 80's or early 90's, the nickel price spiked, and up here people started talking about hoarding nickels. I hoarded a few at that time just from change. It never occurred to me at the time to go to the bank and buy rolls. I guess I thought it would be very strange. But what a lost opportunity! Half the nickels in circulation then were pure nickel, and the rest cupronickel. Then the price of nickel fell and I stopped hoarding, but I kept the ones I had, about 200 or so.

Not all who wander are lost.
Go to Top of Page

PennyProspector
Penny Pincher Member

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2008 :  19:44:14  Show Profile Send PennyProspector a Private Message
15000 sorted

4,475 copper (29.83%)

23 wheat

Happy Prospecting!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

12 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2008 :  22:08:25  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
I picked up 20 rolls of nickels just for the hell of it today, went through them this afternoon at work, ended up with 14 pre-60's, 5 Canadians (one good one), the rest newer Americans. Into the 5 gallon jug they went. Also ordered another 5 bricks of nickels, and I'm probably picking up 10 or so bricks of cents tomorrow or friday. I feel the addiction already.
Go to Top of Page

Epaphras
Penny Collector Member

USA
382 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  13:08:51  Show Profile Send Epaphras a Private Message
Sorting report

11,800 sorted
2067 coppers=17.52%
1 dime
Go to Top of Page

c140cessna
Penny Collector Member

USA
419 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  19:07:47  Show Profile Send c140cessna a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ChangeTheGame

I picked up 20 rolls of nickels just for the hell of it today, went through them this afternoon at work, ended up with 14 pre-60's, 5 Canadians (one good one), the rest newer Americans. Into the 5 gallon jug they went. Also ordered another 5 bricks of nickels, and I'm probably picking up 10 or so bricks of cents tomorrow or friday. I feel the addiction already.

You are in big trouble....for a guy that just started, you really hit the ground running! I was where your are 1 year ago...now I measure in tons! Is there a machine in your future? Perhaps a good start is a simple digital scale for under $20...HCBTT is our scale expert....that is where he started out and quickly cornered the market on used bank equipment!!!

Welcome and enjoy.

BTW: Where are you...I'm in S.E. Michigan.
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  19:21:08  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
Hey, I almost bought a big ScanCoin SC900 machine today. But I couldn't really rationalize it, even though it was going cheap. My Valentine sometimes checks on what I am buying on eBay and I don't think things would go well tonight if she found out I bought another coin machine.. LOL.

You can get a good functional digital scale for under $15. Of course the ones I have are more expensive.. LOL.. just like my coin machines.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Now selling Copper pennies. 1.6x plus shipping. Limited amounts available.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

12 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  20:01:45  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by c140cessna

quote:
Originally posted by ChangeTheGame

You are in big trouble....for a guy that just started, you really hit the ground running! I was where your are 1 year ago...now I measure in tons! Is there a machine in your future? Perhaps a good start is a simple digital scale for under $20...HCBTT is our scale expert....that is where he started out and quickly cornered the market on used bank equipment!!!

Welcome and enjoy.

BTW: Where are you...I'm in S.E. Michigan.

A RyeDale will most certainly be in my future, just waiting on my income tax refund check to purchase it, and to really get my hoarding capital in check. When I get involved in something, I usually tend to become fully enveloped in it, and I see it being the same way with this. I picture myself, one year from now, with a row of RyeDales sorting, with another row of auto rollers wrapping up the zincs for return.

I'm kinda lucky at this point, due to the fact that I am "taking advantage" of my work's business account at the bank across the street. I spoke with the branch manager (who, by the way, is a VERY good friend of the owner of my work) yesterday when I went in to get some nickels, and she told me that she has no problem with me both sourcing and dumping at the branch, even though I don't have a personal account there. She informed me that there are no other customers doing what I am doing at her branch, and that she will do whatever she can to make sure I don't ever get back any of my dump rolls when picking up new stuff. I love it.

Oh, by the way, I'm located in southern NH, northern MA area, but I don't want to disclose my EXACT location, as I may have struck upon a small area where I am the only person doing this kind of thing. Tomorrow I will hit the other three banks my work does business with, to see what they have to say. Wish me luck.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

12 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  20:03:39  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HoardCopperByTheTon

Hey, I almost bought a big ScanCoin SC900 machine today. But I couldn't really rationalize it, even though it was going cheap. My Valentine sometimes checks on what I am buying on eBay and I don't think things would go well tonight if she found out I bought another coin machine.. LOL.

You can get a good functional digital scale for under $15. Of course the ones I have are more expensive.. LOL.. just like my coin machines.

I will be picking up a couple of scales from my brother this weekend, both of which weigh out to the hundredth of a gram. He has them from his "not so legal days" a few years back, and has absolutely no use for them anymore. Very nice scales, too. He said they were somewhere in the $100 range each, so I'm very lucky to be getting them for nothing. I'll probably at least take him out to lunch on sunday as a thanks.
Go to Top of Page

PennyProspector
Penny Pincher Member

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  20:05:46  Show Profile Send PennyProspector a Private Message
10000 sorted

2,908 copper

28 wheat

No dimes, No plastic coins, no forien coin no platinum penis!
LOL that one was for you Art Tatum

Happy Prospecting!
Go to Top of Page

Tourney64
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1035 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  20:26:11  Show Profile Send Tourney64 a Private Message
My percentages keep getting worse.

Sorted 2 - $25 Brinks Boxes-Sealed
1186 Copper 23.7 %

Not Included in copper #'s
1 Canadian CU
2 Canadian Other
12 Wheats 1938-S Oldest
2 Dimes
Go to Top of Page

Art Tatum
Penny Collector Member

USA
400 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  22:11:20  Show Profile Send Art Tatum a Private Message
sorted $400. My usual weekly time allotment and got a 21.4% yield
plus a steel cent (reprocessed) plus 80 wheat ears!

my machine is running!
Go to Top of Page

mickeyman
Penny Pincher Member

Canada
243 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2008 :  13:00:48  Show Profile Send mickeyman a Private Message
Ten rolls of Canadian nickels. 68 .999 Ni (17%)

I looked at a few rolls of quarters and dimes. Quarters are still running about 15% Ni, dimes are just over 50%, which is a significant drop from a couple of months ago (65-70%). Having gone about as far as is practical on quarters, the ARP may be now beginning on dimes.

Not all who wander are lost.
Go to Top of Page

aloneibreak
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
672 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2008 :  18:38:18  Show Profile Send aloneibreak a Private Message
havent reported in a while. this is the last couple weeks sort:

$275 sorted

8401 copper
18968 zinc
84 wheats
47 canadians

8401/27500 = 30.55%

also wanted to congratulate HCBTT for reaching 1000 posts. thats a select group. i for one am envious of his huge pile of unsorted pennies and sweet machines. thanks for all the helpful, knowledgable and usually witty posts.

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2008 :  19:02:01  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
Picked up two more Brinks boxes today and both weigh in at 15 pounds each.

Realcent.forumco.com disclosure. Please read.
All posts either by the members, moderators, and the administration of http://realcent.forumco.com are for your edification and amusement only. It is not the intent of realcent.forumco.com or its host to provide investment, medical, matrimonial, legal, security or tax advice and nothing posted here should be considered to be so. All rights reserved.

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

Epaphras
Penny Collector Member

USA
382 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2008 :  19:43:54  Show Profile Send Epaphras a Private Message
Sorting report

2500 sorted
439 coppers=17.56%
1 'eire' coin
Go to Top of Page

Tourney64
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1035 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2008 :  20:33:32  Show Profile Send Tourney64 a Private Message
Sorted 1 - $25 Brinks Boxes-Sealed
632 Copper 25.3 %

2 Canadian CU
0 Canadian Other
2 Wheats 1940 Oldest

Only 2 wheats. Come on.....
Go to Top of Page

PennyProspector
Penny Pincher Member

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2008 :  21:15:17  Show Profile Send PennyProspector a Private Message
10000 sort

2937 copper (29.37%)
19 wheat

Happy Prospecting!
Go to Top of Page

pencilvanian
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2209 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2008 :  21:53:19  Show Profile Send pencilvanian a Private Message
I decided to try my luck with penny rolls today.

$11.00 in pennies

220 pre 82
30 copper 82
3 Canaidan copper cents
5 wheats, one was dated 1955 but it wasn't the double die variety.
23% copper.

Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2008 :  03:04:14  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by aloneibreak

also wanted to congratulate HCBTT for reaching 1000 posts. thats a select group. i for one am envious of his huge pile of unsorted pennies and sweet machines. thanks for all the helpful, knowledgable and usually witty posts.

Thanks aloneibreak.. imagine how big my copper hoard would be if I actually spent some time sorting rather than just writing about it..

Did get a little sorting done today:
20,000 coins - 8 boxes
3937 copper
7 darn dimes - TOO BAD, SO SAD, ALL CLAD
19.69%

-a few more than I had before..

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Now selling Copper pennies. 1.6x plus shipping. Limited amounts available.
Go to Top of Page

SmallCHange
Penny Sorter Member

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2008 :  06:26:19  Show Profile Send SmallCHange a Private Message
I have not went out and got pennies at the banks for while and went out and got 60 rolls at a couple banks.

I found one roll labelled WHEAT. Inside was 5 teens (best 1910), 11 twenties (best a 1920S), 27 thirties (best were 35D and 38D), 2 forties (40S and 49S), 8 fifties (no good dates but all in really nice shiny XF shape at least). So got 53 pennies in the roll, all wheats with a few semi goodies.

Had to be a collector who saved these things at some point. Someone with no knowledge of coins must have just turned them in, maybe a surviving relative or something. At least they have a good home for now. Who knows what my family may do with my pennies someday as all of them think that even the small amount of penny hoarding I do is crazy. Maybe it is. I wish I was looking at the rolls as I got them. I would have gone back into the bank and gotten some more.

Copper take was 28% overall for the 60 roll lot.
Go to Top of Page

Tourney64
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1035 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2008 :  07:48:35  Show Profile Send Tourney64 a Private Message
That was awesome Small Change. I think the best treasures and percentages are in the Customer Wrapped Rolls (CRW).

Edited by - Tourney64 on 02/16/2008 07:49:01
Go to Top of Page

Tourney64
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1035 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2008 :  13:02:31  Show Profile Send Tourney64 a Private Message
Sorted 5 - $25 Brinks Boxes-Sealed
2809 Copper 22.5 %

6 Canadian CU
9 Canadian Other
22 Wheats 1918 & 1924 Oldest
0 Dimes

Percentages keep falling.

Strange Find - A completely blank (both sides) zinc penny planchet weighing 2.50 grams. I wish it would have had one side printed.
Go to Top of Page

PennyProspector
Penny Pincher Member

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2008 :  19:47:53  Show Profile Send PennyProspector a Private Message
10000 sorted

2961 copper (29.61%)

1 plastic penny
1 2004S PROOF penny

Happy Prospecting!
Go to Top of Page

Tourney64
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1035 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2008 :  22:34:06  Show Profile Send Tourney64 a Private Message
Sorted 3 - $25 Brinks Boxes-Sealed