Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins
 No planned 2010 nickels
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

dakota1955
1000+ Penny Miser Member

2212 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  13:47:56  Show Profile  Send dakota1955 a Yahoo! Message Send dakota1955 a Private Message
In the last issue of Coin World there is a story that Fed have not order any new nickels for this up-coming year. They have order dimes. With last year mintage and this year not ordering them yet and the metal cost of the nickel are we seeing the end of the nickel as we know it?

JobIII
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  13:53:10  Show Profile Send JobIII a Private Message
Well aren't there enough nickels in circulation now. Aside from a couple major hoarders here on RC

Selling Copper cents. $0 FV available at 1.4xFV. Also interested in trading for wheat pennies and other coins Please pm me for requests or inquiries.

Go to Top of Page

hobo finds
Penny Hoarding Member

838 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  13:56:23  Show Profile Send hobo finds a Private Message
Still have not seen a 2009 in change.
Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  19:33:32  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
I get lots of US nickels in Canada so there must be enough in circulation. 2011 Budget has a proposal to give the Tres Sec power to change coinage composition so they are thinking about it hard.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

wolvesdad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2010 :  12:06:16  Show Profile Send wolvesdad a Private Message
But, will the composition of nickels change without the discontinuance of the cent?

Or... is this lack of 'orders' from the fed just a manipulation to have 'reason' to end the cent and nickel both?

Which I wouldn't mind, .... I'm just saying.

"May your percentages ever increase!"
Go to Top of Page

Mikep2020
Penny Collector Member

USA
402 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2010 :  13:16:37  Show Profile Send Mikep2020 a Private Message
I'm almost wondering if the nickel will be discontinued while the cent stays in circulation. Nickels are not used as often as pennies in change. The argument could be made that nickels are not really "needed" in circulation anymore to make proper change. At least that might be the position the gov takes as it tries to sell the idea to the public of eliminating the nickel from circulation. That reason along with the costs associated with minting the nickel will be reasons put forth to sell this idea to the public. Of course, inflation and the coin value being worth more as metal than as money would be ignored.

When I used to work for mcdonalds, we would blow through a box of pennies in a day, but a box of nickels would last a week or two. With todays demonimations a nickel is only needed to make change on 32 out of 99 change variations from .01 to .99

The 32 variations with a nickel included are:
5-9 cents
15-19 cents
30-34 cents
40-44 cents
55-59 cents
65-69 cents
80-84 cents
90-94 cents

There are really only 16 variations that REQUIRE a nickel in order to have less than 4 coins of one denomination recieved as change.

5-9 cents
15-19 cents
55-59 cents
65-69 cents

all the others could be made by using 3 dimes instead of a quarter and nickel. Realistically, they could eliminate the nickel very easily from cash transactions without really effecting the "system" like eliminating pennies would. Eliminating the penny would be a HUGE deal, but the nickel wouldn't disrupt much of anything really. It would just require more dimes and pennies on hand for change.
Go to Top of Page

barrytrot
Administrator

USA
721 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2010 :  13:41:41  Show Profile Send barrytrot a Private Message
Hm, I never thought of that. Nice post "Mikep".
Go to Top of Page

G Powerbuck
Penny Collector Member

USA
256 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2010 :  14:56:06  Show Profile Send G Powerbuck a Private Message
Thats very true. Do you think if they stopped issuing the nickel for circulation that they would keep making it for mint/proof sets?
Go to Top of Page

JobIII
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2010 :  15:26:23  Show Profile Send JobIII a Private Message
I would also like to add that even though the Tres Sec has the power written in a bill to change the coins. We will still need to see that bill pass to then see how the Tres Sec handles that power.

We could see no changes to the coins even if the bill passes without edit.

Selling Copper cents. $0 FV available at 1.4xFV. Also interested in trading for wheat pennies and other coins Please pm me for requests or inquiries.

Go to Top of Page

Cody8404
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
602 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2010 :  16:23:52  Show Profile Send Cody8404 a Private Message
I had not realized the nickels were so little needed. It might be the reason my bank is more willing to give up a box of nickels as compared to a box of cents.

Also with this economic down turn a lot of people are turning in thier change. Once I heard the figure that most Americans had about $100 in change in thier house. Since early 2009 my cent percentages have went up and I attributed it to people turning in this spare change. I think the same reason is why the glut of coins. It will change soon enough.

Awake, O kings of the earth! Come ye, O, come ye, with your gold and your silver, to the help of my people, to the house of the daughters of Zion, to the help of the people of the God of this Land even Jesus Christ.
Go to Top of Page

copperhead57
Penny Collector Member

USA
255 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2010 :  18:18:15  Show Profile Send copperhead57 a Private Message
They have not skipped a year since 1932-1933.

copperhead57

Edited by - copperhead57 on 02/24/2010 18:18:50
Go to Top of Page

fb101
Administrator

USA
2856 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2010 :  18:46:14  Show Profile Send fb101 a Private Message
I think they're just scaling back anticipating a slowing economy.
Few Dimes and Nickels in '09 (relatively), probably fewer in '10.
Now it's up to us hoarders to convince them to do 2010 nickels.

Go to Top of Page

PreservingThePast
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1572 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  16:02:03  Show Profile Send PreservingThePast a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by copperhead57

Thanks for this post, copperhead57. It caused me to study my Red Book a little bit more and I learned that there were several coins not minted in a particular year or years. Never knew that before. I think I am correctly recalling that 1922 was one of those years, as well.

A day that something new is learned is not wasted.
Go to Top of Page

bman
Penny Collector Member

USA
425 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  17:23:54  Show Profile Send bman a Private Message
quote:

wasn't that during the Great depression?

check out my coins for sale on ecrater : http://bmanscoinsforsale.ecrater.com/
Go to Top of Page

copperhead57
Penny Collector Member

USA
255 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  17:34:32  Show Profile Send copperhead57 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by bman

quote:

wasn't that during the Great depression?

I guess history is repeating itself.

copperhead57
Go to Top of Page

bman
Penny Collector Member

USA
425 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  19:10:43  Show Profile Send bman a Private Message
thats what I was thinking...

check out my coins for sale on ecrater : http://bmanscoinsforsale.ecrater.com/
Go to Top of Page

johnbrickner
Penny Pincher Member

154 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  20:42:32  Show Profile Send johnbrickner a Private Message
Wolvesdad: I don't see the end of the nickel or the penny anytime soon. However, with a years break in the minting action of the nickel, it would be a great time to debase it.

Cody: In conversation with my bank tellers they inform me over the last year, folks have been turning in their change regluarly at the end of the month indicating trouble paying bills. It's at the end of the month I ask for their CWRs.

MikeP: Those of us hording/collecting nickels wish they would stop minting. Our collections would see value.

"I Killed the Bank" from the tombstone of Andrew Jackson
Go to Top of Page

Nickelless
Administrator

USA
5580 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2010 :  03:38:03  Show Profile Send Nickelless a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by jadedragon

I get lots of US nickels in Canada so there must be enough in circulation. 2011 Budget has a proposal to give the Tres Sec power to change coinage composition so they are thinking about it hard.

Can the Treasury secretary change the composition without the approval of Congress?

EDIT: JobIII, I just saw your post:

quote:
Originally posted by JobIII

I would also like to add that even though the Tres Sec has the power written in a bill to change the coins.
Are you SURE he can do that without congressional approval? I thought that the Constitution gave that power only to Congress.

Visit my new preparedness site: Preparedness.cc/SurvivalPrep.net
--Latest article: Stocking up on spices to keep food preps lively

---------------

Be prepared...and prepared to help: http://www.survivalblog.com/charity.html

Are you ready spiritually for hard times? http://www.jesusfreak.com/rapture.asp

Edited by - Nickelless on 02/26/2010 03:40:03
Go to Top of Page

wolvesdad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2010 :  06:38:50  Show Profile Send wolvesdad a Private Message
COIN ELIMINATION:
Just shooting from the hip here, but go with me...
IN 1940's, 50's and 60-64, a gallon of gasoline cost... a quarter?(now $2.50).
... a loaf of bread? 10c or 25c, now $1.50-3.50.
a soda? 5c-20c? now $0.75-1.50.

They made change just fine back then. But insisting that we still keep the penny or nickel is like saying that they needed decicents(1/10 of a cent) or half cents. (Half cents back in the 1940's and 50's, not the 1800's!!!)

Obviously they didn't have that change, but 'made change' just fine. Well our currency is only worth about 1/10 of what it was in those years (probably worth far less than 1/10) and we too could do just fine by eliminating the 1/10 factor and getting rid of the penny and nickel.

Just my 2 decicents!!

"May your percentages ever increase!"
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2010 :  08:25:24  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
Maybe they can bring back the half dime! The nickel was only introduced in the first place to appease lobbiests for certain nickel mining interests.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Now selling Copper pennies. 1.6x plus shipping. Limited amounts available.
Go to Top of Page

highroller4321
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2648 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  00:17:51  Show Profile Send highroller4321 a Private Message
The FED also didn't order any 2009 nickels or dimes untill the middle of the year. They will make some, its just a matter of how many they do.

Copper Penny Investing
www.portlandmint.com
Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  19:35:00  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
If you have been waiting to start hoarding U.S. nickels then there may be no better time left to start than now.

Realcent.forumco.com disclosure. Please read.
All posts either by the members, moderators, and the administration of http://realcent.forumco.com are for your edification and amusement only. It is not the intent of realcent.forumco.com or its host to provide investment, medical, matrimonial, legal, security or tax advice and nothing posted here should be considered to be so. All rights reserved.

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

Investin Cents
Penny Pincher Member

USA
129 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  21:32:17  Show Profile Send Investin Cents a Private Message
I agree Ardent! I see the writing on the wall. I am still waiting for my $200 bag of nickels to be filled-up at my Credit Union so I can pick it up! It should almost be full! Maybe I'll call tomorrow. Thanks all!

Most recent book I've read: "Meltdown" by Thomas E. Woods Jr. Current book: "I.O.U.: Why Everyone Owes Everyone & No One Can Pay" by John Lanchester
Go to Top of Page

Investin Cents
Penny Pincher Member

USA
129 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2010 :  21:47:06  Show Profile Send Investin Cents a Private Message
I just today picked up my "Nickel bag" The $200 bag weighed 44.4 lbs bagged and tagged! That is one heavy bag!!! Tag said "For Federal Reserve". So I intercepted that one!

Thing is it took my Credit Union 8 weeks to fill up the bag - it had $181 in it 8 weeks ago. They said they used some nickels for their own use as change, so that slowed down their accumulation.

So, today I got 4000 nickels + 1.

The 1 being a 1979 Canadian that was given to me by my dump bank - I dumped over $23 in zinc. The lady said "our machine won't take these" and gave me the nickel. But I know I did not have 1 nickel in my zincs. It must have been left behind by the previous dumper! So a nice score! Love that free money! Especially the real nickel Canadian nickels!

I'll report what I find in the tracking column later!

Most recent book I've read: "Meltdown" by Thomas E. Woods Jr. Current book: "I.O.U.: Why Everyone Owes Everyone & No One Can Pay" by John Lanchester
Go to Top of Page

Cerulean
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2010 :  13:28:26  Show Profile Send Cerulean a Private Message
Dimes were not minted after April 2009. That nine month streak ended in February 2010 when 19 million dimes were minted.

Not a single nickel has been reported struck by the US Mint since July 2009. However, that could change any month now.

I am highly doubtful of any composition change within the next two years.

Sorting Map
2010 First Finds Contest
Are you a Buffalo Hunter?
Wanna take seignorage away from the Fed? Spend *any* coins!
We cannot afford this government.
Cerulean's Standing Offer: $3/lb shipped for foreign coins
Go to Top of Page

specialbob
Penny Sorter Member

USA
56 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2010 :  21:45:24  Show Profile Send specialbob a Private Message
Nickelless, Nixon took the Dollar off the Gold Standard in '71 withOUT Congressional approval... or knowledge. The Constitution is a funny thing.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2