Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Copper Penny Bullion Investing
 In God We Trust?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

fb101
Administrator

USA
2856 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2009 :  07:51:16  Show Profile Send fb101 a Private Message
quote:

Seperation of Church and State is one of the great founding principles of the United States

OK as long as it's not used to suppress religion. My objection is to how it has lately been used in the wrong manner, like stopping people from praying whenever they're in a public forum. I know many people who've been arrested for praying on a public sidewalk. People should pay where they want, or not pray when they don't want. Personal choice.

Edited by - fb101 on 06/21/2009 07:53:36
Go to Top of Page

sheba
Penny Pincher Member

USA
191 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2009 :  22:21:19  Show Profile Send sheba a Private Message
Yes!, keep the phrase on our currency ... this thread has had a lot of 'in depth' responses and reason 'pro' and 'con'. Won't try to add to that ... but, I personally think it would be really great if, as a country, we really did what the phrase states.

ooooops ... sorry ... I'd rather not get into any debates. I'll just vote 'yes' and then go get some more penny rolls from some bank.

sheba

woof ... wag ... whine
Go to Top of Page

brian0918
Penny Collector Member

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2009 :  21:46:03  Show Profile  Send brian0918 an AOL message Send brian0918 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by fb101

quote:

Seperation of Church and State is one of the great founding principles of the United States

OK as long as it's not used to suppress religion. My objection is to how it has lately been used in the wrong manner, like stopping people from praying whenever they're in a public forum. I know many people who've been arrested for praying on a public sidewalk. People should pay where they want, or not pray when they don't want. Personal choice.

Personally, I'm in favor of complete privatization of property, so there would ideally be *no* public forum, except of course for the space rented by the government for carrying out official duties, such as courts, police, etc.

"The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master." -- Ayn Rand

Searched: $2230 Nickels; Liberty: 1; Buffalo: 4; War: 20; 2009: 2; 2010D: 8
Go to Top of Page

Corsair
Penny Hoarding Member

811 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2009 :  21:49:44  Show Profile  Send Corsair a Yahoo! Message Send Corsair a Private Message
Psalm 23 is so great. I love it. And yes, it should stay on currency.

So long, Realcent 1. Come visit us at Realcent.org!
Go to Top of Page

Cerulean
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2009 :  13:23:44  Show Profile Send Cerulean a Private Message
As a nonbeliever growing up in the Midwest, I had God and Jesus shoved in my face every day by wannabe missionaries who thought that all I needed to save my soul and accept Christ was yet another high-pressure sales pitch, or at least a stern lecture. Such lectures only put me on the defensive. It was very rude and aggressive, and I still feel that way when I see the word "god". "In God We Trust" bothers me deeply, as it reminds me of all that negative emotions targeted against me for decades.

Sorting Map
2010 First Finds Contest
Are you a Buffalo Hunter?
Wanna take seignorage away from the Fed? Spend *any* coins!
We cannot afford this government.
Cerulean's Standing Offer: $3/lb shipped for foreign coins
Go to Top of Page

Neckro
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Saudi Arabia
2080 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2009 :  13:41:11  Show Profile  Send Neckro an AOL message  Click to see Neckro's MSN Messenger address  Send Neckro a Yahoo! Message Send Neckro a Private Message
I think the the "motto" is just as valuable as the money it's put on. worthless.

Trolling is an art.
Go to Top of Page

horgad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1641 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2009 :  13:50:39  Show Profile Send horgad a Private Message
"In God We Trust" on US currency implies that if you don't believe in God that you are not included in the "We". In other words, it implies that non-believers do not belong fully to the group of people called Americans. So that seemingly "harmless" statement is small wedge driven between Americans.

...same with "One nation under God" in the pledge of allegiance

...same with being asked the loaded question "What church do you go to?" when you meet somebody for the first time

...same with Indiana trying to shove God license plates down everyone’s throats

All are small "harmless" wedges serving as daily reminders that an atheist never fully belongs as part of their country, as part of their state, or even as part of their own neighborhood.

Go to Top of Page

biglouddrunk
Penny Pincher Member

138 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2009 :  15:22:13  Show Profile Send biglouddrunk a Private Message
Neckro, that has to be the most bitter old man saying I've ever heard.

" I think the the "motto" is just as valuable as the money it's put on. worthless."

I do have to agree with you however.
Go to Top of Page

Neckro
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Saudi Arabia
2080 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2009 :  15:56:44  Show Profile  Send Neckro an AOL message  Click to see Neckro's MSN Messenger address  Send Neckro a Yahoo! Message Send Neckro a Private Message
That's just my feeling towards it. A real believer shouldn't have to revert to seeing words, or constantly hearing phrases to believe in what they do.

Trolling is an art.
Go to Top of Page

hobo finds
Penny Hoarding Member

838 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2009 :  19:01:36  Show Profile Send hobo finds a Private Message
What dose it say on coins from Iran? Trust your Government?
Go to Top of Page

Corsair
Penny Hoarding Member

811 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2009 :  19:13:09  Show Profile  Send Corsair a Yahoo! Message Send Corsair a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by hobo finds

Probably something like "Trust Your Government...Or Else."

So long, Realcent 1. Come visit us at Realcent.org!
Go to Top of Page

Country
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3121 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2009 :  19:20:40  Show Profile Send Country a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by hobo finds

Iranian Money - It looks like the date and denomination is on the coins; not much else. The currency seem to have the Treasurer signatures, currency bank identification and numbers, and homage to the Supreme Leader. Does anyone here read Farsi?

You must be logged in to see this link.

---> Come to the new and improved realcent: http://realcent.org

The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
– Theodore Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

coppernickel
Penny Pincher Member

USA
131 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2009 :  11:29:58  Show Profile Send coppernickel a Private Message
I see two problems with, "In God we trust."

1- The people of this land have rejected the God who gave them the land and have preserved them for more than 200 years.

2- Which god are we talking? The Creator, Allah, Cash?

Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
Go to Top of Page

Zyll
Penny Pincher Member

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  16:39:38  Show Profile Send Zyll a Private Message
I know this is an old thread but I had to chip in and revive it, because as a Christian I've thought long and hard about this motto, its history, and its implications. Several bullet points:

1. This debate, for me, is about preventing the establishment of a state-mandated religion, as demonstrated by the "Dei Gratia Regina" statement on commonwealth coins. Why? Because a state religion (like the official religion of Atheism in the USSR) means state persecution of all other religions. Freedom of religious expression is guaranteed by the bill of rights, including the freedom to be atheist. To me it's an expression of freedom, to declare trust in a higher power than man (who can abuse that trust). "God" was understood by the founding fathers to be the author of our freedom, in other words whoever or whatever created us. You have these rights because you exist, because you're human. I recommend that atheists think of this motto as a declaration that no man can force you to convert to their religion. Think of that word "God" not as any particular god, but rather the god you worship, who you answer to morally for your life. If that's yourself, then to you it says "In Me I Trust".

2. Coinage displays national character and values. Teddy Roosevelt was in office when the lincoln cent, conceived as a single-year commemorative, was extended to a 100-year run. Just in time for the brainwashing of Southern States educational system. I truly see some credence to the link between the rise of federal power and the adoption of this motto. Ironically Teddy wanted the motto removed because he found it sacrilegious.

3. I can see how this motto could be viewed as a religious icon. I think it's basic to man to want their own religion venerated, and to want the icons of different faiths torn down. It is genteel to allow other religions to peacefully display their icons without it shaking your own faith. Until the status quo of our money changes, do we really need to tear down the last vestiges of Christian public expression? Everyone knows the motto is blasphemy in every way already articulated, but why spend your ammo on this innocuous issue and thus enrage the bible belt?
Go to Top of Page

motos
Penny Sorter Member

41 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  17:11:26  Show Profile Send motos a Private Message
Get rid of the motto. I like Liberty better. Separate religion and state.
Go to Top of Page

Kurr
1000+ Penny Miser Member

2906 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  18:04:27  Show Profile Send Kurr a Private Message
silverstockreport.com/email/commandments.html

"You shall not misuse the name of the LORD your God, for the LORD will
not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name." (Do not take the
Lord's name in vain.)

The phrase "IN GOD WE TRUST", on paper money, is a phrase in vain.

Paper money is worse than an abomination.

Proverbs 11:1 A false balance is an abomination to the LORD, But a
just weight is His delight.

Paper money is worse than an abomination to the Lord, because a $20
bill is no longer a promise to pay 1 oz. of gold, or even 20/35ths of
an oz. of gold, and no longer even worth 7.2% of an ounce of silver,
but the dollar is a promise to pay nothing! Paper money used to be a
promise to pay an unjust weight and measure of gold or silver! But
now, paper money is not a promise to pay any gold or silver! Today,
paper money is nothing more than a political promise!

Consider how blasphemous it is to put that phrase, "IN GOD WE TRUST"
on something that, to the Lord, is worse than an abomination to Him!

Putting "IN GOD WE TRUST" on unbacked paper money is as bad as saying,
"Let's honor the Lord through having a not for discussionorgy!"

Christians often preach that not for discussion is an abomination.
According to the Bible, it is. (Leviticus 18:22) And it is disgusting
and revolting. But paper money is a much worse abomination, (also
being filthy and carrying germs) because paper money perverts far more
people.

God can more easily sponsor a "Gay Pride" parade than the "almighty
dollar". (And pride is also a sin!) Remember, God sent fire down
upon Sodom and Gomorrah. So how do you think God feels about the
dollar, and what do you think will happen to the dollar? We cannot
trust God to support what is worse than what God has described as an
abomination!

James 4:3 “You ask and do not receive, because you ask amiss, that you
may spend it on your pleasures.”

Many men claim to trust God, but God does not know them.

Matthew 7:21 "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter
the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who
is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we
not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and
perform many miracles?' 23 Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never
knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'

People who call evil paper money "Godly", (In God we Trust?) are
calling what is evil, good. Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is
unforgivable because only the Holy Spirit can convict a person of sin.
But if a person says that what is evil is good, it is impossible to
be convicted of sin, impossible to repent, and impossible to be
converted. This is why the Bible is full of warnings about deception;
deception can cause you to lose eternal life!

It would not surprise me if atheists win the battle to remove the
phrase, "In God we Trust" from our money. When atheists act with more
honesty and integrity than Christians, how can they lose? If God
supports the atheists in this battle, who can be against them! I pray
that the atheists win this battle to remove the phrase, "In God we
Trust" from our money, and that the fraudulent dollar collapses in a
quick death!

The third commandment is sometimes discussed in terms of oaths.
People would make oaths, "under God", to show their intentions to
fulfill their promise. The dollar is a political promise, a broken
promise, a vain oath. Those in debt are making another vain promise,
the promise to repay. Those who issue more dollars make another vain
promise, "we won't issue too much", but they already have: the banks
have, on deposit, over $35,000 dollars for every ounce of gold in the
official U.S. gold reserve of 261 million ounces. People who loan,
borrow, or hold paper money are using vain promises, and the phrase,
"In God we trust" is clearly a misuse of God's name.

"You shall not misuse the name of the LORD your God, for the LORD will
not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name."

The silver [is] mine, and the gold [is] mine, saith the LORD of hosts. Hag 2:8 [/b]
He created it. He controls it. He gave it to us for His use. Why did we turn from sound scriptural currency that PROTECTS us?

KJV Bible w/ Strong's Concordance: http://www.blueletterbible.org/
The book of The Hundreds: http://www.land.netonecom.net/tlp/ref/boh/bookOfTheHundreds_v4.1.pdf
The Two Republics: http://www.whitehorsemedia.com/docs/THE_TWO_REPUBLICS.pdf
Good reading: http://ecclesia.org/truth/government.html

A number of people are educated beyond, sometimes way beyond, their intelligence. - Tenbears

Go to Top of Page

Mike
Penny Sorter Member

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  18:08:24  Show Profile Send Mike a Private Message
With the way things are going in the U.S., I've pondered for awhile that "In God We Trust" should be replaced by "In Government We Trust" and "Liberty" with "Slavery".
Go to Top of Page

johnbrickner
Penny Pincher Member

154 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  23:05:41  Show Profile Send johnbrickner a Private Message
Kurr, you said "Today, paper money is nothing more than a political promise!". Further details of that promise are: This paper money is backed by the full faith and ability of the u.s. govt. to tax the American People to pay for it's worthlessness and their debt (debt = slavery) to the federal reserve.

It seems to me about this time in 2007, I got e-mail from friends about a "Godless" dollar. People were encouraged to refuse to use them and my friends encouraged readers to go beyond and either throw them away or even better, destroy them.

Works for me. I say don't put it on the coin, let me buy my fill of them uncirculated and/or proof directly from the mint and you all who don't like them can destroy the rest making my lot worth a mint! Which is exactly what I told and encouraged my friends to do. Just call me an opportunist.

However, as I remember what was missing from the coin was "Liberty" and shame on them for not getting upset enough to <<<DO>>> something about that! Which I also told them.

It's a jungle out there,

"I Killed the Bank" from the tombstone of Andrew Jackson

Edited by - johnbrickner on 04/15/2010 23:27:51
Go to Top of Page

Kurr
1000+ Penny Miser Member

2906 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2010 :  08:13:20  Show Profile Send Kurr a Private Message
Quoting Jason Hommel there sir.

Links at the top, good read altogether

The silver [is] mine, and the gold [is] mine, saith the LORD of hosts. Hag 2:8 [/b]
He created it. He controls it. He gave it to us for His use. Why did we turn from sound scriptural currency that PROTECTS us?

The book of The Hundreds: http://www.land.netonecom.net/tlp/ref/boh/bookOfTheHundreds_v4.1.pdf

A number of people are educated beyond, sometimes way beyond, their intelligence. - Tenbears

Go to Top of Page

Kurr
1000+ Penny Miser Member

2906 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2010 :  10:30:34  Show Profile Send Kurr a Private Message
Actually, I have.

I have seen with my own two eyes, many gods. I have also seen the One true God, as well as my poor human eyes can comprehend such.

I agree there has been a great "Duping", thank you, that word is VERY appropriate.

Civil Law is not in harmony with God's Law and there is the problem. ALL men submit to A Law. Governments as I understand it have been ordained as Civil Law, for the Lawless, or those that turn from the self rule of His Law. If you are not submissive to the Word of God, you will be controled by the Word of Man.

The Law has three phases as I see it. First is the Rod of Correction. This is administered through the Family[my belief]. Next is the Staff. This is the support of the Church. If you will not accept the correction of the rod (punishment for transgression of the law, understanding and repentance, and submission to the law) Then it is the role of the church to step in, with two or three and counsil, or give support and encouragement. If these do not work, and the man shows himself to be incorrigable to all spiritual correction, it moves to the final form.

The Sword of the State. Because civil law just punishes crimes in vary degrees, for minor transgressions the theft/tribute/sacrafice of goods or property or time in a degree which is supposed to be equal to the transgression. For the most severe it requires all, in a "death penalty".

That is all civil law can do, is administer death in varying degrees. So to live under the law of man, since it can only punish in varying degrees of death, is to live in death. God's law not only punishes but rewards. This is something civil law cannot do. God rewards those who keep his law with eternal life and His blessings. So to live under God's Law, dedicated to His works, is to have blessings and eternal life, whereas to live under man's law or civil law, is to live in death.

This is the great "secret" they try to keep hidden and you "duped" from. The duping is so the state and the church can keep people in submission. This was what caused the "Great Reformation" when the "common people" were finally able to read the scriptures for themselves from the Latin and could see that the part the "church" and "state" was leaving out is that we are supposed to submit ONLY to God's Authority. And so they came here to escape and have a place where they could worship in the manner they were commanded to.

For evidence that originally are laws were to be based on scripture with I would submit:

quote:

The founders of America (the Puritans) intended to establish a new world, they intended to create a "city on a hill," a society governed by God’s Law, giving glory to God, and spreading the gospel across the globe. The original intent of the settlers and founders of the New World was to form a Godly nation. In order to make sure that the Government would foster Christ’s teachings and not atheism, it was prohibited for any but the followers of Christ to hold political office. (If you want to create a Godly society, such a requirement only makes sense).

Godly Leaders for a Godly Nation

In the Articles of Confederation of the United Colonies of New England; May 19, 1643, it begins with the following, "The Articles of Confederation between the Plantations under the Government of the Massachusetts, the Plantations under the Government of New Plymouth, the Plantations under the Government of Connecticut, and the Government of New Haven with the Plantations in Combination therewith: Whereas we all came into these parts of America with one and the same end and aim, namely, to advance the Kingdom of our Lord Jesus Christ and to enjoy the liberties of the Gospel in purity with peace; and whereas in our settling (by a wise providence of God) we are further dispersed upon the sea coasts and rivers than was at first intended, so that we can not according to our desire with convenience communicate in one government and jurisdiction..."

The Delaware constitution of 1776 established a Godly State by requiring, in Art. 22: Every person who shall be chosen a member of either house, or appointed to any office or place of trust . . . shall . . . make and subscribe the following declaration, to wit: "I ________, do profess faith in God the Father, and in Jesus Christ His only Son, and in the Holy Ghost, one God, Blessed for evermore; and I do acknowledge the holy scripture of the Old and New Testaments to be given by divine inspiration." Delaware Constitution, Art. 22 (adopted Sept. 20, 1776), 1 Del. Code Ann. 117 (Michie, 1975). Commended by the U.S. Supreme Court in Rector, etc., of Holy Trinity Church v. U.S., 143 U.S. 457 at 469-70, 12 S.Ct. 511 at 516 (1892). The Constitutions of All the States According to the Latest Amendments, Lexington: Thomas T. Skillman, 1817, p. 181, cited in D. Barton, The Myth of Separation, 23 (6th ed., 1992).

In other words, only followers of Christ could hold any public office under the Delaware constitution. Delaware's oath of office is called a "test oath." It requires the one swearing to affirm - either explicitly or implicitly - a particular religious belief. This was the case in virtually all of the states, in varying degrees of doctrinal specificity. It was done because the Bible was understood to require it. Legislators used to insert Biblical references in the margins of the statute books to prove the validity of their laws (For an example, see John Cotton, "An Abstract of the Laws of New England, as they are Now Established, Printed in London in 1641," Collection of the Massachusetts Historical Society (1798); reprint of 1835 in 2 The Journal of Christian Reconstruction 117, No. 2; Winter, 1975-76, "Symposium on Biblical Law").

Pennsylvania Frame of Government, Section 10. And each member [of the legislature], before he takes his seat, shall make and subscribe the following declaration, viz: "I do believe in one God, the Creator and Governour of the universe, the rewarder of the good and the punisher of the wicked, and I do acknowledge the Scriptures of the Old and New Testament to be given by Divine Inspiration." Sources and Documents Illustrating the American Revolution 1764-1788 and the Formation of the Federal Constitution, 166 (S. Morison, ed., 1923). Cited in Barton, Myth, p. 23.

In 1892, the U.S. Supreme Court announced with pride that the purpose of the Founders of this land was "the establishment of the Christian religion," (Rector, etc., of Holy Trinity Church v. U.S, 143 U.S. 457 at 466, 12 S.Ct. 511 at 514, 36 L.Ed. 226 (1892)) and this ideal was universally held. The men who signed the Constitution understood the Biblical requirements, and they acted in terms of them. Governments were established to spread the Faith.

VIRGINIA CHARTER, 1606: [Issued by King James I] "To make Habitation . . . and to deduce a colony of sundry of our People into that part of America commonly called Virginia . . . in propagating of Christian religion to such People, as yet live in Darkness . . . [to] bring . . . a settled and quiet Government." (Historical Collections: Consisting of State Papers and other Authentic Documents: Intended as Materials for an History of the United States of America, Ebenezer Hazard, ed. Philadelphia: T. Dobson, 1792, Vol. 1, p. 50-51; cited in Barton, page 84).

VIRGINIA CHARTER, 1609: "Because the principal Effect which we can desire or expect of the Action, is the Conversion …of the people in those Parts unto the true Worship of God and Christian Religion." (ibid page 85).

NEW ENGLAND CONFEDERATION, 1643: [Composed of Mass., Conn., New Plymouth, and New Haven] "We all came into these parts of America, with one and the same end and aim, namely, to advance the Kingdom of our Lord Jesus Christ." (Documentary Source Book of American History, 1606-1889, Wm McDonald, ed. NY: Macmillian, 1909, p. 32; cited in Barton, p. 88).

WILLIAM BRADFORD, 1647: [Referring to original Pilgrim intents] "[A] great hope & inward zeall they had of laying some good foundation, or at least to make some way therunto, for ye propagating & advancing ye gospell of ye kingdom of Christ in those remote parts of ye world." (Wm Bradford, History of Plymouth Plantation, Boston: Little, Brown, and Co., 1856, p. 24; cited in Barton, p. 86).

"Providence has given to our people the choice of their rulers, and it is the duty as well as the privilege and interest of our Christian nation to select and prefer Christians for their rulers." (John Jay, first Chief Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court).

Soon after settling, the Puritans began building great universities to educate young men who would propagate the Gospel; universities such as Harvard. University students were required to do the following:

HARVARD STUDENT PAMPHLET, (Rules for the Students, established by the University Administration) c. 1635:

"2. Let every Student be plainly instructed, and earnestly pressed to consider well the maine end of his life and studies is, to know God and Jesus Christ which is eternal life, Joh.17.3, and therefore to lay Christ in the bottome, as the only foundation of all sound knowledge and Learning. And seeing the Lord only giveth wisedome, Let every one seriously set himselfe by prayer in secret to seeke it of him. Prov 2,3. 3. Every one shall so exercise himselfe in reading the Scriptures twice a day, that he shall be ready to give such an account of his proficiency therein." (Peter Mode, Sourcebook and Bibliographical Guide for American Church History, Menasha, WI: George Banta Pub. Co., 1921, p. 74-75; cited in Barton, p. 91. In 1796, according to David Barton, any Harvard student who doubted the inspiration of Scripture was to be expelled).

The example of New England is striking. The Statute Books of the Government were annotated with Biblical references to show that the laws of the State conformed to the Laws of God. (John Cotton, "An Abstract of the Laws of New England, as they are Now Established, Printed in London in 1641, Collection of the Massachusetts Historical Society (1798); reprint of 1835 in 2 The" Journal of Christian Reconstruction 117, No. 2; Winter, 1975-76, "Symposium on Biblical Law").

NEW HAVEN COLONY LAW, 1644: "The judicial laws of God as they were delivered by Moses…[are to] be a rule to all the courts in this jurisdiction." (Russ Walton, Biblical Principles of Importance to Godly Christians, NH: Plymouth Rock Foundation, 1984, p. 356; Barton, p. 88).

NORTH CAROLINA CHARTER, 1662 (QUAKER): "Excited with a laudable and pious zeal for the propagation of the Christian faith . . . in the parts of America not yet cultivated or planted, and only inhabited by . . . people, who have no knowledge of Almighty God." (North Carolina History, Hugh Talmage Lefler, ed., Chapel Hill: Univ. of NC Press, 1934, 1956, p. 16; cited in Barton, p. 86).

RHODE ISLAND CHARTER, 1663: [Granted by King Charles II] "That they pursuing with peace and loyal mindes, their sober, serious and religious intentions . . . in the holy Christian faith . . . a most flourishing civil state may stand, and best be maintained grounded upon gospel principles." (David Barton, The Myth of Separation, p. 87).

The Biblical vision for society is not understood in our day because people in our day are utterly unfamiliar with this passionate desire to establish all people's action - including governments - on "gospel principles." Today there is a notion - as pervasive as it is heretical - that the "gospel" has nothing to do with Godly, law-abiding behavior.

NEW JERSEY SEAL, 1665: "Righteousness exalteth a nation." - Prov. 14:34

PENNSYLVANIA GOVERNMENT, 1682: " . . . Make and establish such laws as shall best preserve true Christian and civil liberty, in all opposition to all unchristian . . . practices." (Peter Mode, Sourcebook and Bibliographical Guide for American Church History, Menasha, WI: George Banta Pub. Co., 1921, p. 163; cited in Barton, p. 89).

PENNSYLVANIA'S FIRST LEGISLATIVE ACT, 1682: "Whereas the glory of Almighty God and the good of Mankind, is the reason and end of government, and therefore, government in itself is a venerable Ordinance of God, therefore, it is the purpose of civil government to establish such laws as shall best preserve true Christian and Civil Liberty, in opposition to all Unchristian, Licentious, and unjust practices, (Whereby God may have his due, and Caesar his due, and the people their due), from tyranny and oppression . . . ." (Charter to William Penn, and Duke of Yorke's Book of Laws (Harrisburg, PA: 1879). The Preamble and Chapter I of the Great Law can be found in, Remember William Penn: 1644-1944; (Harrisburg, PA: The William Penn Tercentenary Committee, 1944), pp. 85-86; cited in America's Christian History: The Untold Story, by Gary DeMar (Atlanta, GA. American Vision 1995), p. 77).

The Founders of this nation attempted to carve out a Gospel Garden out of a pagan wilderness. Two hundred years of flourishing charity, education, agriculture, science, and gospel preaching would rise up and totally denounce the view that Government is supposed to be neutral or secular.

CONTINENTAL CONGRESS, 1776: [May 16, anticipating full-scale war with Britain] "The Congress . . . Desirous . . . to have people of all ranks and degrees duly impressed with a solemn sense of God's superintending providence, and of their duty, devoutly to rely . . . on his aid and direction . . . Do earnestly recommend . . . a day of humiliation, fasting, and prayer; that we may, with united hearts, confess and bewail our manifold sins and transgressions, and, by a sincere repentance and amendment of life . . . and, through the merits and mediation of Jesus Christ, obtain his pardon and forgiveness." (Journals of the Continental Congress at Vol 2, 1775, p. 192; cited in Barton, p. 103).

CONTINENTAL CONGRESS, 1777: [Calling for a day of thanksgiving and prayer for the victory at Saratoga] "Forasmuch as it is the indispensable duty of all men to adore the superintending providence of Almighty God; to acknowledge with gratitude their obligation to him for benefits received . . . [to offer] humble and earnest supplication that it may please God, through the merits of Jesus Christ, mercifully to forgive and blot [our sins] out of remembrance . . . and to prosper the means of religion for the promotion and enlargement of that kingdom which consisteth 'in righteousness, peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.'" (Journals of the Continental Congress at Vol 18, p. 950; cited in Barton, p. 105).

CONTINENTAL CONGRESS, 1780: [Concerning the discovery of Benedict Arnold as a traitor] "It is therefore recommended to the several states . . . a day of public thanksgiving and prayer . . . to offer our fervent supplications to the God of grace . . . to cause the knowledge of Christianity to spread over all the earth." (Journals of the Continental Congress at Vol.18, pp. 950-951; cited in Barton, p. 106).

JOHN HANrooster, 1783: [Massachusetts governor, proclaiming a day of thanksgiving for the war's end] "I do by and with the Advice of the Council appoint [11 Dec. 1783] to be religiously observed as a Day of Thanksgiving and Prayer, that all the People may then assemble to celebrate . . . that he hath been pleased to continue to us the Light of the blessed Gospel; . . . That we also offer up fervent Supplications . . . to cause pure Religion and Virtue to flourish . . . and to fill the World with his glory." (Proclamation of John Hanrooster from Boston, November 8, 1783, from an original in the Evans collection, #18025, by the American Antiquarian Soc., cited in Barton, p. 107).

GEORGE WASHINGTON, 1783: [End of the war, to all state governors] "I now make it my earnest prayer, that God would have you, and the State over which you preside, in his holy protection . . . that he would most graciously be pleased to dispose us all to do justice, to love mercy, and to demean ourselves with that charity, humility, and pacific temper of mind, which were the characteristics of the Divine Author of our blessed religion, and without an humble imitation of whose example in these things, we can never hope to be a happy nation." (George Washington, The Writings of Washington, Jared Sparks, ed. Boston: American Stationers' Co., 1838, Vol 18, p. 452, cited in Barton, p. 99).

U.S. SUPREME COURT, 1892: "Our laws and our institutions must necessarily be based upon and embody the teachings of the Redeemer of mankind. It is impossible that it should be otherwise. In this sense and to this extent, our civilizations and our institutions are emphatically Christian." (Holy Trinity Church v. U.S., 143 U.S. 457 (1892); cited by Barton, America's Godly Heritage, pp. 10-11).

U.S. SUPREME COURT, 1890: "The term 'religion' has reference to one's view of his relations to his Creator, and to the obligations they impose for reverence for his being and character, and of obedience to his will. It is often confused with the cultus or form of worship of a particular sect, but it is distinguishable from the latter . . . . It was never intended or supposed that the [first] amendment could be invoked as a protection against the legislation for the punishment of acts inimicable to the peace, good order and morals of society . . . . However free the exercise of religion may be, it must be subordinate to the criminal laws of the country passed with reference to actions regarded by general consent as properly the subjects of punitive legislation . . . . Probably never in the history of this country has it been seriously contended that the whole punitive power of the government for acts, recognized by the general consent of the Christian world in modern times as proper matters for prohibitory legislation, must be suspended in order that the tenets of a religious sect encouraging crime may be carried out without hindrance." (Davis v. Beason, 133 U.S. 333, 341-42 (1890); as quoted in John W. Whitehead, The Second American Revolution, David C. Cook Publishing Co., 1982, pg. 221-3).

MARYLAND SUPREME COURT, 1799: "Religion is of general and public concern, and on its support depend, in great measure, the peace and good order of government, the safety and happiness of the people. By our form of government, the Christian religion is the established religion; and all sects and denominations of Christians are placed upon the same equal footing, and are equally entitled to protection in their religious liberty." (Runkel v. Winemiller, 4 Harris and McHenry 276, 288 (Sup. Ct. Md. 1799); cited in Barton, p. 64).

The Puritans who founded this land defended Christian Theocracy and established Theocratic (God-honoring) systems of government. The idea that governments should allow God to rule (Theo-cracy) human society was ubiquitous. If Gary North is right and a Secular Humanist conspiracy attempted to overthrow this Christian consensus through Article VI of the Constitution, the First Amendment of the Constitution attempted to keep that from happening.

SUPREME COURT JUSTICE JOSEPH STORY on the First Amendment: "We are not to attribute this prohibition of a national religious establishment to an indifference to religion in general, and especially to Christianity (which none could hold in more reverence, than the framers of the Constitution) . . . Probably at the time of the adoption of the Constitution, and of the first amendment to it . . . . the general if not the universal sentiment in America was, that Christianity ought to receive encouragement from the state so far as was not incompatible with the private rights of conscience and the freedom of religious worship. An attempt to level all religions, and to make it a matter of state policy to hold all in utter indifference, would have created universal disapprobation, if not universal indignation . . . The real object of the amendment was not to countenance, much less to advance, Mahometanism, or Judaism, or infidelity [secularism], by prostrating Christianity; but exclude all rivalry among Christian sects, and to prevent any national ecclesiastical establishment which should give to a hierarchy the exclusive patronage of the national government." (Commentaries on the Constitution of the United States, 2:593-95; cited in The Second American Revolution, pg. 96, John W. Whitehead, 1982, David C. Cook Publishing Co. Also cited in The Myth of Separation, David Barton, p.32, Wallbuilders: Aledo, TX 76005).

All of these voices are summed up in the Opinion of the U.S. Supreme Court in the case of Holy Trinity Church v. U.S (1892). There is no other legitimate purpose for any human action than the advancement of the Kingdom of God. Patriotism (advancing the interests of a political coalition) is wrong; Humanism (advancing your own personal interests) is wrong; Satanism (advancing demonic interests) is wrong. Since all action runs to some purpose, if the purpose is not the building of God's Kingdom, then it is to build a rival Kingdom. There is no neutrality. The State cannot be impartial and non-religious.

They leave that part out of the Articles (hmmm wonder why) in most places. Here it is in:

The Federal and State Constitutions
COLONIAL CHARTERS, AND OTHER
ORGANIC LAWS

OF THE

STATES, TERRITORIES, AND
COLONIES

NOW OR HERETOFORE FORMING

THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

Compiled and Edited
under the Act of Congress of June 30, 1906

By
FRANCIS NEWTON THORPE, Ph.D., LL.D.
Available here:

quote:

Originally posted by NoCents

King George, still has half the world duped with his writings. Way to keep them the herd rounded up buddy.

He ain't the only one by FAR!!

Edited by - Kurr on 04/16/2010 10:31:30
Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2010 :  10:41:08  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
It seems God is about the only one we can really trust any more. Putting "In God We Trust" on the money doesn't make it any more trustworthy but that's not God's fault.

Realcent.forumco.com disclosure. Please read.
All posts either by the members, moderators, and the administration of http://realcent.forumco.com are for your edification and amusement only. It is not the intent of realcent.forumco.com or its host to provide investment, medical, matrimonial, legal, security or tax advice and nothing posted here should be considered to be so. All rights reserved.

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

marine70
Penny Pincher Member

USA
150 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2010 :  11:19:01  Show Profile Send marine70 a Private Message
They have taken god out of schools enough is enough. Leave it on our currency and coins. This country was founded as a god fearing nation.
Go to Top of Page

wildjo
Penny Sorter Member

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2010 :  22:38:37  Show Profile Send wildjo a Private Message
If I had the time and energy, I'd scratch it off all my coins. It's offensive and unconstitutional. Faith is a personal matter. Not a governmental one. There are a million ways to force me to be aware of "your" religious beliefs. Currency doesn't have to be another, and shouldn't.

Life is more than getting from point A to point B.
Go to Top of Page

thogey
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1617 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2010 :  22:50:34  Show Profile Send thogey a Private Message
In God We Trust!

All others must pay cash!

Come to the new and improved realcent: http://realcent.org
Go to Top of Page

AGgressive Metal
Administrator

USA
1937 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2010 :  02:03:53  Show Profile Send AGgressive Metal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by wildjo

It's offensive and unconstitutional.

It's not unconstitutional. Every session of Congress is opened with prayer from 1776 to 2010. Re-read your first amendment.

And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel / For nothyng is better than lyberte / For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world.
-Caxton's edition of Aesop's Fables, 1484

Edited by - AGgressive Metal on 04/17/2010 02:05:19
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2