Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Copper Penny Bullion Investing
 In God We Trust?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

biglouddrunk
Penny Pincher Member

138 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2009 :  01:42:30  Show Profile Send biglouddrunk a Private Message
Poll Question:
Do you think Federal Currency should have the phrase in god we trust on it?

Choices:

Yes
No

biglouddrunk
Penny Pincher Member

138 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2009 :  01:46:54  Show Profile Send biglouddrunk a Private Message
I just curious what people on this forum think. I'm a bit of an atheist however I have no strong opinion either way because I am reasonable enough to understand by using this currency I am not selling out on my beliefs. My personal opinion is it probably should not with the separation of church and state in all, but I understand such words are traditional and they don't imply that all who use the currency believe in a god.
Go to Top of Page

buyingsilvers
Penny Collector Member

441 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2009 :  05:10:08  Show Profile Send buyingsilvers a Private Message
Yes. CHANGE is not always a good thing, although some people would like to believe it is.
Go to Top of Page

brian0918
Penny Collector Member

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2009 :  07:51:26  Show Profile  Send brian0918 an AOL message Send brian0918 a Private Message
No, but then I am opposed to government coining of money altogether, and other things like forced taxation, public education and roads, etc. The only proper role for the government is to protect and uphold individual rights through the police, military, and courts.

"The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master." -- Ayn Rand

Searched: $2230 Nickels; Liberty: 1; Buffalo: 4; War: 20; 2009: 2; 2010D: 8

Edited by - brian0918 on 06/17/2009 08:00:01
Go to Top of Page

Country
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3121 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2009 :  08:12:18  Show Profile Send Country a Private Message
YES - If it was good enough for Abe Lincoln (coins) and good enough for Dwight Eisenhower (paper currency), I'll side with these Americans.

You must be logged in to see this link.

---> Come to the new and improved realcent: http://realcent.org

The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
– Theodore Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

Gresham
Penny Pincher Member

184 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2009 :  09:27:13  Show Profile Send Gresham a Private Message
All I know is that it appeared on the currency about the time they started putting politicians on the coins and taking the silver and gold out. If they really trusted God they would've left the silver and gold in, because God has some pretty strong things to say about watering down the money supply.
Go to Top of Page

Kurr
1000+ Penny Miser Member

2906 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2009 :  10:25:08  Show Profile Send Kurr a Private Message
+2 doublegood Gresham!!

I prefer Liberty as a representation to Free Will. To "trust in God" is to use the gifts and tools he gave us. The first was Free Will i.e. Liberty.

She'll do just fine on my money.

The silver [is] mine, and the gold [is] mine, saith the LORD of hosts. Hag 2:8 [/b]
He created it. He controls it. He gave it to us for His use. Why did we turn from sound scriptural currency that PROTECTS us?

KJV Bible w/ Strong's Concordance: http://www.blueletterbible.org/
The book of The Hundreds: http://www.land.netonecom.net/tlp/ref/boh/bookOfTheHundreds_v4.1.pdf
The Two Republics: http://www.whitehorsemedia.com/docs/THE_TWO_REPUBLICS.pdf
Good reading: http://ecclesia.org/truth/government.html

A number of people are educated beyond, sometimes way beyond, their intelligence. - Tenbears

Go to Top of Page

Neckro
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Saudi Arabia
2080 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2009 :  12:13:17  Show Profile  Send Neckro an AOL message  Click to see Neckro's MSN Messenger address  Send Neckro a Yahoo! Message Send Neckro a Private Message
Remove the old guys, and remove "In God We Trust". It should never have been placed on there.

Trolling is an art.
Go to Top of Page

theo
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
588 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2009 :  14:47:18  Show Profile Send theo a Private Message
Yes. Its important to remember that liberty is automatically bestowed to us by our creator; not granted to us by any government. Although I don't believe the government should promote any particular religion, I tend to believe that if government ceases to acknowledge a higher power, it begins to take on the role of that higher power. History teaches us that this is never a good thing.
Go to Top of Page

Neckro
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Saudi Arabia
2080 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2009 :  15:10:18  Show Profile  Send Neckro an AOL message  Click to see Neckro's MSN Messenger address  Send Neckro a Yahoo! Message Send Neckro a Private Message
Theo the same goes the other way around. The government thinks the higher power has placed them there, so they will do as they please because of that thought. Religion shouldn't govern no country.

Trolling is an art.
Go to Top of Page

brian0918
Penny Collector Member

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2009 :  15:10:52  Show Profile  Send brian0918 an AOL message Send brian0918 a Private Message
I don't think anything is stopping the government from taking on the role of the higher power. I also believe you're wrong about the source of individual rights, but this is not the right venue to discuss that.

"The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master." -- Ayn Rand

Go to Top of Page

kieblera5
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
859 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2009 :  15:24:58  Show Profile  Send kieblera5 an AOL message Send kieblera5 a Private Message
Blessed is the nation who's God is Lord.
Keep it on there or the nation will reject God all together. I think it is the last inkling of hope for this nation.

Democracy is being allowed to vote for the candidate you dislike least.

Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and then beat you mercilessly with experience.

Caller number seven gets the Peace Prize!

Get coding tips, tricks, and more at: http://codingmonday.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

brian0918
Penny Collector Member

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2009 :  15:40:04  Show Profile  Send brian0918 an AOL message Send brian0918 a Private Message
That's unfortunate.

Go to Top of Page

Gr33nday43

Uzbekistan
10 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2009 :  16:22:59  Show Profile  Send Gr33nday43 a Yahoo! Message Send Gr33nday43 a Private Message
Even as a strong atheist, I think it should stay on our currency. This country was founded upon Christianity and I don't think it would be right to remove "In God We Trust" from the United States's bills and coins. I hope that made sense...

Edited by - Gr33nday43 on 06/17/2009 17:15:03
Go to Top of Page

Country
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3121 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2009 :  16:33:06  Show Profile Send Country a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Gr33nday43

...This country was founded upon Christianity....

quote:
Originally posted by kieblera5

Very nice letter; however, one point is wrong. The US was not founded with Christian principles. The treaty of Tripoli in 1797 states that:

"As the government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian Religion,-as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion or tranquility of Musselmen,-and as the said States never have entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mehomitan nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries."

I am a Christian; however, most of the founding fathers did not believe in Christianity exclusively, but rather in the belief that there is a God, in general.

Kieblera5 makes a good point, on another thread, that the United States was not founded on the Christian religion.

The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
– Theodore Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

fb101
Administrator

USA
2856 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2009 :  16:48:47  Show Profile Send fb101 a Private Message
I want it to stay. The real reason is that the Government is oppressing religion. (See recent history, religious people are terrorists except the ones responsible for 9/11 who are now just criminals) It's also a constant reminder that our rights are endowed by our creator and unalienable. They are not whims and fancies of the state [comrades].

WHAT I WANT TO SEE GO AWAY IS THE PHRASE "SEPARATION OF CHURCH AND STATE" which they've been telling everyone for years is in the constitution and IT IS NOT.

Amendment I
"Congress shall pass no law respecting (context: in order to accomplish) an establishment of religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging freedom of speech, or of the press or of the press (does that include talk radio??) or the right of the people peaceably to assemble and to petition the government for a redress of grievances"

You know, I am amazed at the number of people who want to "live and let live" that only want that for the people they agree with.

Go to Top of Page

theo
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
588 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2009 :  17:32:16  Show Profile Send theo a Private Message
[quote]Originally posted by brian0918

I don't think anything is stopping the government from taking on the role of the higher power.

I understand where you are coming from though I hope you are wrong.

I also believe you're wrong about the source of individual rights, but this is not the right venue to discuss that.

I only say that because our founders mentioned it in the Declaration of Independence. "Unalienable rights. . . endowed by our creator" Of course you are free to disagree with them as well.

Its just my opinion, but I think the mention of God on our money is a reminder that "our creator" transcends all human institutions including the government and the church.

Edited by - theo on 06/17/2009 17:41:33
Go to Top of Page

Kurr
1000+ Penny Miser Member

2906 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2009 :  18:57:18  Show Profile Send Kurr a Private Message
My personal .02 is that They meant what they wrote. "In God we Trust." Who said you are talking about the same God? People assume you are talking about the creator when they wrote it. What if thay weren't?

I saw a picture, maybe on this forum, of people gathered around trying to touch a statue, in what looked to be, well, worship. The statue was a golden calf, errr I mean bull, located in front of wall st. What if by that phrase they meant trust in the reserve banking system? Trust in money. People sure seem to worship it now days.

There check out that photo!

The silver [is] mine, and the gold [is] mine, saith the LORD of hosts. Hag 2:8 [/b]
He created it. He controls it. He gave it to us for His use. Why did we turn from sound scriptural currency that PROTECTS us?

KJV Bible w/ Strong's Concordance: http://www.blueletterbible.org/
The book of The Hundreds: http://www.land.netonecom.net/tlp/ref/boh/bookOfTheHundreds_v4.1.pdf
The Two Republics: http://www.whitehorsemedia.com/docs/THE_TWO_REPUBLICS.pdf
Good reading: http://ecclesia.org/truth/government.html

A number of people are educated beyond, sometimes way beyond, their intelligence. - Tenbears

Go to Top of Page

jonflyfish
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
693 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2009 :  19:13:41  Show Profile  Send jonflyfish a Yahoo! Message Send jonflyfish a Private Message
I agree that "In God we trust" becomes individual and more universal. However, this is (fiat)currency we are talking about. Thus, perhaps the masons believed that "God" is the string puller i.e. FOMC chairman. Misinformation to play on the general public's (lemmings) "Faith in God" is pure manipulation to believe in and "trust" a system that systematically rapes them of their wealth.

The first panacea for a mismanaged nation is inflation of the currency; second is war. Both bring a temporary (and false) prosperity; both bring a permanent ruin. But both are the refuge of political and economic opportunities.
Go to Top of Page

redneck
1000+ Penny Miser Member

1273 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2009 :  20:53:27  Show Profile Send redneck a Private Message
quote:
Gresham Posted - 06/17/2009 : 09:27:13 All I know is that it appeared on the currency about the time they started putting politicians on the coins and taking the silver and gold out. If they really trusted God they would've left the silver and gold in, because God has some pretty strong things to say about watering down the money supply.

quote:
Kurr Posted - 06/17/2009 : 10:25:08 +2 doublegood Gresham!!

I prefer Liberty as a representation to Free Will. To "trust in God" is to use the gifts and tools he gave us. The first was Free Will i.e. Liberty.

She'll do just fine on my money.

quote:
Kurr Posted - 06/17/2009 : 18:57:18 My personal .02 is that They meant what they wrote. "In God we Trust." Who said you are talking about the same God? People assume you are talking about the creator when they wrote it. What if thay weren't?

I saw a picture, maybe on this forum, of people gathered around trying to touch a statue, in what looked to be, well, worship. The statue was a golden calf, errr I mean bull, located in front of wall st. What if by that phrase they meant trust in the reserve banking system? Trust in money. People sure seem to worship it now days.

quote:
jonflyfish Posted - 06/17/2009 : 19:13:41 I agree that "In God we trust" becomes individual and more universal. However, this is (fiat)currency we are talking about. Thus, perhaps the masons believed that "God" is the string puller i.e. FOMC chairman. Misinformation to play on the general public's (lemmings) "Faith in God" is pure manipulation to believe in and "trust" a system that systematically rapes them of their wealth.

Yes
Yes
Yes
&
Yes

11th commandant - The lord said to Mosses all monies made in the New World shall say "In God we trust" so as for the people to believe their currency can't fail, if, I God, is on the Almighty Dollar.

Oh,wait a minute.

There was only Ten Commandants.

Sooo,

it looks like it shouldn't be there.

If our Government believed in God, then it wouldn't be breaking the 8th,9th and 10th Commandants.

Thou shall not steal.(taking our money and giving it to their buddies)

Thou shall not bear false witness.(lying to us on how the money would be spent)

Thou shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor's.'

(the last one is for the IRS)

Oh,and the last is also in regards to what was done with GM, Chrysler,Fannie Mae and Freddy Mac.

So "In God we trust"...???

>

Go to Top of Page

Ponce
Penny Hoarding Member

Cuba
630 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2009 :  21:20:47  Show Profile Send Ponce a Private Message
I don't believe in religion but I believe in "The Force" which comes by many names, saying "In God We Trust" is like saying "This is my Land" for to me the US was founded by those who believed in the power of one........sorry to see that a particular "choosen ones" are taking away from us all that which is America.

America, maybe some day you will wake up and come to the rescue of your childrens.

"If you don't hold it, you don't own it"...Ponce
Go to Top of Page

Bluegill
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1964 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2009 :  12:07:58  Show Profile Send Bluegill a Private Message
"In God We Trust" didn't show up on our coins until the progressive movement showed up in the late 19th century. It is also not soon after that we starting parking dead Presidents on our coinage.

God and a President on the same side of a coin… It could kinda imply that government and god can be interchanged, or are one and the same. That is exactly how the progressives think… They truly feel they are superior to the masses. Not unlike Kings and Queens, who always claimed to have “royal divine blood”.

Our founding fathers didn't feel it needed to be there. I don't feel it should be there either.

That said, I'm not real worried about, and feel it is a non-issue at this point in time.

It says God. Not Allah, the Pope, Jesus, Buddha or any thing of the sort. A person’s God can be anything. It is about as neutral as it can get.

And in full disclosure, I am an atheist, been so since high school.

Edited by - Bluegill on 06/20/2009 12:08:32
Go to Top of Page

Country
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3121 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2009 :  12:40:17  Show Profile Send Country a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Bluegill

"In God We Trust" didn't show up on our coins until the progressive movement showed up in the late 19th century.

You're a little off on your timeframe for the coins. "IN GOD WE TRUST" was prominently displayed on the 1864 Two-Cent coin.

For some history on this subject see the link below:

The founding fathers did not want any association with the royals. That's a given.

I guess the first President on a coin was Lincoln in 1909 to celebrate his birthdate. Our nation wanted to venerate Lincoln and wanted him on the most circulated coin. Same with Washington when he appeared on the quarter in 1932 to celebrate his birthdate. In fact, the 1932 quarter was really a Commemorative quarter. Jefferson appeared on the nickel in 1938. These men deserve the veneration of our nation.

Putting these great Americans on our coins is not a progressive conspriacy. It is the American people who wanted to celebrate these men; there was no hidden agenda.

– Theodore Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

smartinson
Penny Collector Member

USA
287 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2009 :  13:01:42  Show Profile Send smartinson a Private Message
There is not the option of, IT DOESN'T MATTER. IN GOD WE TRUST has been on our currency and coins all of my life and really it has not effected me either way. But, as with everything else that doesn't directly effect me now may in the future. Prayer in school, our right to pledge allegience to our flag, our right to protect ourselves, our rights to smoke cigarettes, drink sugary cokes, eat fatty hamburgers, fries and junk food, drive a Hummer, have a cold beer or drink of what ever. What else will they decide we don't need. Already restrictions have been put on how we think, feel, speak, look and act. How long will it be before we turn to little zombies marching to the beat of that special song of choice. Personally, IN GOD WE TRUST is just another item that offends someone one so we must get rid of it. I just stay home, mind my own business, prepare for what might come and will deal with problems as they arise. I do PREFER that IN GOD WE TRUST stay as it is on our money just because it has always been there. Yes, Ma'am!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

AGgressive Metal
Administrator

USA
1937 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2009 :  15:22:49  Show Profile Send AGgressive Metal a Private Message
It is better than having "In Man We Trust" or "In the State We Trust" or "In Money We Trust." I think the point of having it on the money, which people of ALL faiths and most athiests could agree on, is that there are principles that are higher than the State which guide us. "God" happens to be the "source" of those principles for the majority of people, but you can look at it as just a recognition that the State is not the absolute authority in the universe. Its a nice thing for the government to acknowledge when you think about it and compare our system to communism.

And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel / For nothyng is better than lyberte / For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world.
-Caxton's edition of Aesop's Fables, 1484
Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2009 :  19:37:53  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
D G / Dei Gratia ("by the grace of God") is normally found on Canadian and British coins. Coins without this phrase are called "Godless".

Seperation of Church and State is one of the great founding principles of the United States. State sponsored religion usually quickly becomes the enemy of freedom (Catholic, Protestent, Muslum etc worldwide). Putting the religious leaders in charge of the country is equally dangerous (many examples). From the formation of the first governments in the Bible, there was a secular branch (judge, king) dealing with military/taxation/secular law and a priestly branch dealing with religious matters. When the leader starts playing god, it gets ugly.

Recognizing that the State is subject to a higher power - God - runs against the "divine right of kings" concept that the USA Founding Fathers rejected when they said "all men are equal". "In God We Trust" helps recognize that the country is free.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2