Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins
 Buffalo Hunters' Lodge
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2008 :  18:35:58  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
Well at least we know all those wild Indians we are finding will have something to eat since the Bison are still out there wandering the plains.

Suprisingly, I too have bagged a few hides. I don't know whether you are just counting this year's kills or total since we started hunting. What, you thought I just sorted pennies? I found 2 last year and 2 this year. There is a product called Nik-a-date or someting like that for restoring dates. It is basically an acid, and the acid dated buffalos are not well respected in the numismatic marketplace.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Now selling Copper pennies. 1.6x plus shipping. Limited amounts available.
Go to Top of Page

Cerulean
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2008 :  08:31:26  Show Profile Send Cerulean a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HoardCopperByTheTon

I don't know whether you are just counting this year's kills or total since we started hunting.

Right now, I'm tracking cumulative finds. I'll start tracking annual finds in 2009.

Sorting Map
2010 First Finds Contest
Are you a Buffalo Hunter?
Wanna take seignorage away from the Fed? Spend *any* coins!
We cannot afford this government.
Cerulean's Standing Offer: $3/lb shipped for foreign coins
Go to Top of Page

TenBears
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2008 :  08:48:08  Show Profile Send TenBears a Private Message
No hides this weekend. I did see a couple of Canadian beaver, but they were young and I did not harvest either one. (They weren't nickel.)

"Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is not baying after what you can't have. Rich is having the time to do what you want to do. Rich is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells. Rich is not owing any money to anybody, and not spending what you haven't got." Robert Ruark

there are too wild Indians...
there are too wild Indians...-----still taunted

Go to Top of Page

fb101
Administrator

USA
2856 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2008 :  21:36:56  Show Profile Send fb101 a Private Message
put me down for 1 more; can't figure out whether it's a '26 or '28.

BTW:Brinks boxes yield nothing. I get these boxes from some small local banks.
Likely Garda boxes.

Go to Top of Page

gothboi30
Penny Collector Member

USA
286 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2008 :  12:29:43  Show Profile Send gothboi30 a Private Message
Hi everybody!! I have a question about the 1936d buffalo nickel I pulled out of my first $100 bank box last Saturday. The date is still readable. Should I take it to a coin shop and have it appraised and placed in a protective holder? Is the coin worth doing this for??
Go to Top of Page

fb101
Administrator

USA
2856 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2008 :  16:47:32  Show Profile Send fb101 a Private Message
Keep it. Redbook has it at $1.50 in G and $12 in AU, and those prices are high. - You might get 50c for it at a dealer.
It's not all bad though, save up a small batch of them and you can sell as a batch on ebay.

Congratulations on your find!

Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2008 :  19:29:36  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
Tonight at a small family restaurant I received my second of the year back in change. A readable 1925. Since Indians don't exist, that would explain why the Buffalo freely roam....

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

TenBears
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2008 :  06:36:35  Show Profile Send TenBears a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by NotABigDeal

Since Indians don't exist, that would explain why the Buffalo freely roam....

I wish I had thought of that. Enlightened comment Deal.

"Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is not baying after what you can't have. Rich is having the time to do what you want to do. Rich is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells. Rich is not owing any money to anybody, and not spending what you haven't got." Robert Ruark

Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2008 :  06:39:58  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by TenBears

quote:
Originally posted by NotABigDeal

Since Indians don't exist, that would explain why the Buffalo freely roam....

I wish I had thought of that. Enlightened comment Deal.

Very wise observation for a very wise buffalo hunter.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2008 :  06:49:41  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
::::Taking a bow:::: Thank you, thank you. Odd note, the restaurant is older than the coin. Opened in 1918 I believe. Harry S Truman used to eat chili there. I have the all you can eat tacos. legacypac, you said you were once in my neck of the woods, ever heard of Dixon's Chili?

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

fb101
Administrator

USA
2856 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2008 :  22:18:42  Show Profile Send fb101 a Private Message
Another Buffalo. (My wife yanked it out along with a 43-S)

Go to Top of Page

Dan52
Penny Collector Member

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2008 :  21:07:47  Show Profile Send Dan52 a Private Message
I found my third buffalo tonight. Like the second, the date was worn off but the rest of the coin, the indian and the buffalo are in pretty good shape. My first buffalo was a 1935. It had a slight scratch in it but its not worn to much. I hunt war nickels also. I have 11.

Edited by - Dan52 on 10/02/2008 21:08:55
Go to Top of Page

Dan52
Penny Collector Member

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2008 :  16:29:24  Show Profile Send Dan52 a Private Message
Well, I just found my fourth buffalo and it has the date worn off. Of the four I have only one has a date that hasn't been worn off. When you folks find buffalo's, are the majority found with the date worn off?
Go to Top of Page

fb101
Administrator

USA
2856 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2008 :  20:28:33  Show Profile Send fb101 a Private Message
My wife just found another ageless prairie mammoth.

Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2008 :  06:09:29  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dan52

Well, I just found my fourth buffalo and it has the date worn off. Of the four I have only one has a date that hasn't been worn off. When you folks find buffalo's, are the majority found with the date worn off?

Due to the raised date on them, most are dateless as the date wears the worst.

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

Dan52
Penny Collector Member

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2008 :  18:58:13  Show Profile Send Dan52 a Private Message
Aged buffalo! Fifth buffalo and the second one with age. 1937. I'm goin' back in.

Go to Top of Page

PennehChaos.
Penny Collector Member

USA
269 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2008 :  09:39:41  Show Profile Send PennehChaos. a Private Message
I've had a surprisingly good run on nickels in the past few months... I only get $40/week or so, but I've scored three dateless buffalos (one today out of ten Brinks plastic rolls I picked up), and one surprisingly sharp 1937. I actually found two before I got a single war nickel.

Considering Verizon Business service? Perhaps you'd like to consider a nice drain cleaner enema instead?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

84 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2008 :  22:00:20  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
I too am now proud to say I've bagged a buffalo. Found a '23 in a $100 Brinks box a few days ago, along with 3 war nicks, one a '43-P in BU!

Will be sticking to nickels now that the copper premium has basically gone bye bye.

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." -Ron Paul, from _The Revolution: A Manifesto_
Go to Top of Page

darsemnos
Penny Sorter Member

96 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2008 :  22:17:50  Show Profile Send darsemnos a Private Message
I found a buffalo within the last 2 or 3 years from a change machine. I put it a 5 and it gives me $4.25 in quarters and 0.75c in nickels. One was a buffalo, year 1927. It's dirty, but the date is still more than clear enough to read, as is the rest of the text.

That's the only one I've ever found. But I have never actually looked. Just found this one by accident and knew enough to want to keep it(for nostalgic value).
Go to Top of Page

cwgii
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
924 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2008 :  14:02:47  Show Profile Send cwgii a Private Message
$366 this weekend. first roll had a buff, a 20 franc swiss. only got 2 war. 18 pre war. 147 46/63, 108 65/70. , one penny and one dime.

think i will go back to pennies. unless i can find some halves.
Go to Top of Page

TenBears
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2008 :  19:33:00  Show Profile Send TenBears a Private Message
Tenbears bagged a shaggy today. A 1925, with the date barely readable. The hide is in "good" condition by the book, but most of us would see it as very worn.

Go to Top of Page

fb101
Administrator

USA
2856 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2008 :  14:02:26  Show Profile Send fb101 a Private Message
Maybe when you get a decent sized herd you will attract indians?

Go to Top of Page

MatLock
Penny Pincher Member

USA
122 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2008 :  18:19:04  Show Profile Send MatLock a Private Message
Scored a 1945-S silver nickel @ VG-9 AND a barely readable 1925 INDIAN nickel in G-6 condition, just yesterday from $22 dollars in nickels.

:)
Go to Top of Page

fb101
Administrator

USA
2856 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2008 :  20:00:35  Show Profile Send fb101 a Private Message
Just picked up a 1919 prairie pet- you need a loupe to see the date, but it's there.

Go to Top of Page

Bluegill
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1964 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2008 :  21:41:08  Show Profile Send Bluegill a Private Message
So far I have been able to hunt down and corral these 14 buffalos.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2