Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins
 Buffalo Hunters' Lodge
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Cerulean
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2008 :  14:05:41  Show Profile Send Cerulean a Private Message
{Post your '09 buffalo finds You must be logged in to see this link..)

Some of y'all dance for wild Indian cents... but I'm a buffalo hunter. Some people think this great beast is extinct, but I've got two fresh hides to prove 'em wrong.

Are you a buffalo hunter, too? This thread's a cozy place where we can clean our rifles, kick our feet up by the fire, and share our latest buffalo finds.

I found two within a month of each other. One I pulled out of a bank box of nickels, while the other arrived straight from spare change. Neither had a legible date, but a hide's a hide.

I'll start with a discussion question... are the herds these days growing or dwindling? I hear the golden age of buffalo hunting ended around the mid-1970s, and there's no doubt that our prey is rarer these days. And yet, in this 21st Century, we still find 'em. Some even say the buffalo are getting a little more numerous on the range today.

As of 12/31/08, Lodge members have bagged 145 hides!
--------------------------------------------------
aaron239: 35
bluegill: 26
fb101: 22
cakesea: 12
TenBears: 5 or 6 (Can I get an accurate hide count, TenBears?)
dan52: 5
Epaphras: 5
wagsthadog: 5
HoardCopperByTheTon: 4
Cerulean: 4
PennehChaos: 3
klava: 3
NotABigDeal: 2
hirbonzig: 2
gothboi30: 2
legacypac: 1
nickelmeister: 1
economist: 1
darsemnos: 1
cwgii: 1
matlock: 1
wolvesdad: 1
TexasPQ: 1
mickeyman: 1
Mikep2020: 1
JerrySpringer: "a few"

Sorting Map
2010 First Finds Contest
Are you a Buffalo Hunter?
Wanna take seignorage away from the Fed? Spend *any* coins!
We cannot afford this government.
Cerulean's Standing Offer: $3/lb shipped for foreign coins

Edited by - Cerulean on 01/02/2009 08:07:54

wagsthadog
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2008 :  14:32:05  Show Profile Send wagsthadog a Private Message
Hi there,

Hear hear!!

I found a 1934 Buffalo a few months ago.

My only one, but someday I'll have a roll of hides....

wags

Only when they CAN'T have it, ......THEN they'll want it.

I love Cents. If you get an UNC box, you win. If you get a regular circ. box, you win. If you get a zinc box, you don't lose....so you still win.
Go to Top of Page

JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

669 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2008 :  19:22:23  Show Profile Send JerrySpringer a Private Message
I found a few the other day. I have gotten complacent about it too. I actually expect to find a Buffalo and/or war nickel for each $100 box I sort. I get bummed when I only find the 2005 Buffalo. I am finding a good amount of 1939 and 1940 nickels too. I guess it is like wheat pennies to some degree. The ones that are easily discernible ( -ie- wheat penny and Buffalo nickel) get spotted much easier from pocket change than the newer ones.
Go to Top of Page

TenBears
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2008 :  19:36:32  Show Profile Send TenBears a Private Message
I, too, am a buffalo hunter. I have found 3 or 4 this year. These are always fun to find, whether they have a legible date or not.

"Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is not baying after what you can't have. Rich is having the time to do what you want to do. Rich is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells. Rich is not owing any money to anybody, and not spending what you haven't got." Robert Ruark

there are too wild Indians...
there are too wild Indians...-----still taunted

Go to Top of Page

fb101
Administrator

USA
2856 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2008 :  19:39:57  Show Profile Send fb101 a Private Message
Buffalo hunter here too. I've gotten about 7 (3 dateless) from about 10 boxes of nickels I've been through. Lately, switching more to nickels less to copper and planning on doing 2-3 boxes of nickels a week.

Thanks TenBears, Great idea!

Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2008 :  20:01:14  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
June 5th of this year I got one back in change from Taco Bell. Dateless of course, but cool nonetheless.

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

knibloe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1066 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2008 :  22:15:21  Show Profile Send knibloe a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Cerulean

Some of y'all dance for wild Indian cents... but I'm a buffalo hunter. Some people think this great beast is extinct, but I've got two fresh hides to prove 'em wrong.

Are you a buffalo hunter, too? This thread's a cozy place where we can clean our rifles, kick our feet up by the fire, and share our latest buffalo finds.

I found two within a month of each other. One I pulled out of a bank box of nickels, while the other arrived straight from spare change. Neither had a legible date, but a hide's a hide.

I'll start with a discussion question... are the herds these days growing or dwindling? I hear the golden age of buffalo hunting ended around the mid-1970s, and there's no doubt that our prey is rarer these days. And yet, in this 21st Century, we still find 'em. Some even say the buffalo are getting a little more numerous on the range today.

I see what is going on here. Ten Bears' rational thinkers club is extinct, so he puts Cerulean up to starting a new club. I suppose it is just a coincidence that Ten Bears and Deal (both notorious IH wanta bes ) just happen to have found buffalos.
Go to Top of Page

Steiner
Penny Collector Member

Canada
278 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2008 :  22:18:39  Show Profile Send Steiner a Private Message
I have herd also that if you use printed circuit board etching solution that you can get the date to reappear on buffaloes that have been worn away. The theory being that the non compressed material (around the date) will dissolve quicker than the compressed nickel in the date. I think they uses this in CSI stuff for sn# that get filled off guns.

I have never tried it but I thought I would throw it out there.

Steiner

Steiner
Go to Top of Page

klava
Penny Pincher Member

USA
192 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2008 :  23:01:48  Show Profile  Send klava an AOL message Send klava a Private Message
I have found two(dateless) Buff in the past few weeks. I was actually tied with War Nickels until a few days ago when i found my third war nickel(actually all three have been different dates w00t). Its an awesome feeling finding a Buffalo in circ.

-K
Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2008 :  23:20:53  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
I've pulled 4 or 5 US war nicks from Canadian circulation, and one lonely buffalo that got lost and wandered up into the Great Canadian North. It was timeless (dateless) but very cool to find. Great thread for us that don't hunt wild indians.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

Nickelmeister
Penny Hoarding Member

Canada
588 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2008 :  23:26:54  Show Profile Send Nickelmeister a Private Message
I also found a really nice buffalo up here in Canada - and a couple of war nicks to boot.

p.s. They are part of a lot I am trying to sell in the Marketplace!

www.WinnipegGoldBuyer.com

Standing offer for sale of quality, second-hand solid gold jewellery:

<$100 USD worth - spot +25%, plus actual shipping
$101-500 worth - spot +20%, plus actual shipping
$501-1,000 worth - spot +15%, plus actual shipping
$1,001+ worth - spot +10%, plus actual shipping
Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2008 :  06:08:46  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by knibloe

I see what is going on here. Ten Bears' rational thinkers club is extinct, so he puts Cerulean up to starting a new club. I suppose it is just a coincidence that Ten Bears and Deal (both notorious IH wanta bes ) just happen to have found buffalos.

Yeah, yeah, yeah....

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

knibloe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1066 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2008 :  06:55:59  Show Profile Send knibloe a Private Message
[/quote]
Yeah, yeah, yeah....

Deal
[/quote]

Well, if it is any consolation, I have yet to bag my first buffalo. I would sure like to, but it hasn't happened. Maybe all the wild indians in my area have made the last few buffalos extinct.
Go to Top of Page

TenBears
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2008 :  07:31:24  Show Profile Send TenBears a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by fb101

Buffalo hunter here too.

Thnks goes to Cerulean. The Lodge is entirely his idea. And, it's a good idea too. TenBears likum buffalo hunt nd Lodge.

"Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is not baying after what you can't have. Rich is having the time to do what you want to do. Rich is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells. Rich is not owing any money to anybody, and not spending what you haven't got." Robert Ruark

Go to Top of Page

TenBears
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2008 :  08:41:36  Show Profile Send TenBears a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by knibloe

quote:
Originally posted by Cerulean

You speak with forked tongue like slithery serpent. There is poison in your words to which we should close our ears.

I speak words of iron for all to hear. Cerulean himself has hunted and slain the shaggy beast. Cerulean has feasted upon the meat and marrow of his own kills. Cerulean built the Buffalo Hunting Lodge with his own hands with no help from TenBears. (In white man talk tht means I did not put him up to it.)

Finally, if Deal and I have our own hides it just goes to show how crazy it is to believe in wild Indins. Certainly, if ny existed, Del nd I would hve seen one by now.

TenBears now go sit by fire in Lodge with Cerulean and relive latest hunt.

Go to Top of Page

knibloe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1066 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2008 :  07:08:51  Show Profile Send knibloe a Private Message
As soon as summer is over and winter sets in, I am going to sit by the fire and sort some nickels. I have 5 bags of unsearched ones that I hope wil yield at least one.

Congradulations on all those who have found buffalos. I hope to be joining you soon.

Go to Top of Page

fb101
Administrator

USA
2856 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2008 :  16:46:45  Show Profile Send fb101 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by TenBears

quote:
Originally posted by fb101

Buffalo hunter here too.

Thnks goes to Cerulean. The Lodge is entirely his idea. And, it's a good idea too. TenBears likum buffalo hunt nd Lodge.

Well, my apologies and many thanks to Cerulean. I really thought you were behind this

Go to Top of Page

klava
Penny Pincher Member

USA
192 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2008 :  03:55:57  Show Profile  Send klava an AOL message Send klava a Private Message
Cerulean you should post the totals for everyone at the top of the thread lie was done for the Indians on the Penny board. be cool to have a quick glance at how everyone has done. Anyway thanks for starting this thread its been very enjoyable!

-K
Go to Top of Page

Cerulean
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2008 :  13:05:52  Show Profile Send Cerulean a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by klava

Cerulean you should post the totals for everyone at the top of the thread lie was done for the Indians on the Penny board. be cool to have a quick glance at how everyone has done. Anyway thanks for starting this thread its been very enjoyable!

-K

Done! If you find, or have found, a buffalo, speak up and I'll add you to the Lodge totals at the top of the thread.

Sorting Map
2010 First Finds Contest
Are you a Buffalo Hunter?
Wanna take seignorage away from the Fed? Spend *any* coins!
We cannot afford this government.
Cerulean's Standing Offer: $3/lb shipped for foreign coins
Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2008 :  15:30:43  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
I've also found some state quarters and 2006 nickels that feature buffalos. All in Canadian roll hunting. That might be worth something - but not much - about 7% return on investment at today's exchange rate.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

Nickelmeister
Penny Hoarding Member

Canada
588 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2008 :  09:46:12  Show Profile Send Nickelmeister a Private Message
Not a big deal, but I found another US war nick (1944P) yesterday.
Only worth mentioning because it was found in Canada!

www.WinnipegGoldBuyer.com

Standing offer for sale of quality, second-hand solid gold jewellery:

<$100 USD worth - spot +25%, plus actual shipping
$101-500 worth - spot +20%, plus actual shipping
$501-1,000 worth - spot +15%, plus actual shipping
$1,001+ worth - spot +10%, plus actual shipping
Go to Top of Page

gothboi30
Penny Collector Member

USA
286 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2008 :  10:29:52  Show Profile Send gothboi30 a Private Message
Hi everyone. Sorted my first $100 bank box yesterday.....found a nice 1936d with the date still readable!! No war nicks though....rest of the box was a bust. Still, I can't believe I found one in my first box!!
Go to Top of Page

gothboi30
Penny Collector Member

USA
286 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2008 :  10:33:35  Show Profile Send gothboi30 a Private Message
Oh, yeah, I forgot to include that I got one Canadian nickel out of that bank box; it was a '85.
Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2008 :  11:29:12  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
Nice gothboi30 and welcome to the Real Party of Change! Sorting Nickels in the US is pretty slow going but at least you might find silver, pre1982 Canadian Nickels (Pure Ni), and Buffalo's that are worth something.

Your first Canadian Beaver is CuNi - exactly the same composition but slightly lighter weight (thinner) then all the US Nickels. My Ryedale can't tell them apart.

Every Coin Zoo needs a beaver - but if you already have one then turn the little lost beaver loose into the wild again.

Personally I can't find too many buffalo hides. Only snagged one dateless one so far. My real business is trapping mature beaver pelts "bytheton".

Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

gothboi30
Penny Collector Member

USA
286 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2008 :  13:43:06  Show Profile Send gothboi30 a Private Message
Thanks legacypac. I will probably save the beaver for my daughters (they live w/ their mom north of the border); I already have a few quarters and plenty of pennies for them. I've been averaging 4-6 Canadian pennies per each $25 U.S. box.
Go to Top of Page

byro007
Penny Collector Member

USA
399 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2008 :  17:55:04  Show Profile  Click to see byro007's MSN Messenger address  Send byro007 a Yahoo! Message Send byro007 a Private Message
I have yet to come across a lone buffalo in the wild but I am still sitting here ready to catch one.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2