Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals
 APMEX is running a special on silver Maples
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

wolvesdad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2008 :  20:45:39  Show Profile Send wolvesdad a Private Message
$15.32 currently! Won't be that cheap tomorrow.

I'm seeing all big name silver rounds at $2.5 to $4 premium over spot(eagles, Canadian, etc)

WoW!!!

"May your percentages ever increase!"
Go to Top of Page

moboman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2555 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2008 :  21:24:46  Show Profile Send moboman a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ScottyTX

I was wanting to go ahead and get in on this deal but currently, I'm watching the silver chart and silver keeps dropping?? Hummmm, thinking I should wait and see where it ends up by tomorrow.

U wont get maple leafs at this price w/o the labor day sale... I was lucky enough to buy one of them at 25 when silver was 18 an once! Everyone else local wanted atleast 30...

"99% of all lawyers give the rest of them a bad name"

Go to Top of Page

ScottyTX
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2008 :  21:44:36  Show Profile Send ScottyTX a Private Message
Well, I guess I was thinking to myself if silver keeps dropping I would buy some 90% junk silver elsewhere instead of going with the special. But after doing a quick peek on the ebay prices on maple leafs, I bought 50 ounces at 15.35 each. They are selling for 17.50-18.75??? are people really that stupid?? I mean 460.00 for a 25 pc. tube or go to apmex and get it for 383.75. Gee I'm almost thinking I should buy some more after seeing that.
Go to Top of Page

moboman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2555 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2008 :  23:27:21  Show Profile Send moboman a Private Message
quote:

Well, I guess I was thinking to myself if silver keeps dropping I would buy some 90% junk silver elsewhere instead of going with the special. But after doing a quick peek on the ebay prices on maple leafs, I bought 50 ounces at 15.35 each. They are selling for 17.50-18.75??? are people really that stupid?? I mean 460.00 for a 25 pc. tube or go to apmex and get it for 383.75. Gee I'm almost thinking I should buy some more after seeing that.

Americans are too lazy to shop around!
I like to try and deal with a local dealer who is at every local coinshow who always manages to get good prices on the world bullion coins. Even he couldnt touch the labor day sale price!

Edited by - moboman on 09/01/2008 23:30:27
Go to Top of Page

dmccarty

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2008 :  09:37:46  Show Profile Send dmccarty a Private Message
Ant,
Dave here from APMEX. very strange to hear about your delivery being left on your doorstep. That is highly unusual. EVERYTHING we ship is fully insured and sent registered mail - so you HAVE to sign for it. So if they were left on your doorstep, that sounds like a lazy postman to me. You are more than welcome to call us and confirm that the shipments were registered, but I would call your PostMaster at your local office to let them know.

Dave McCarty
http://www.APMEX.com
Go to Top of Page

kavajava
Penny Collector Member

USA
490 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2008 :  11:43:26  Show Profile Send kavajava a Private Message
Well, silver is way down this morning, and even so, the special was a better deal--congrats to all who bought the Maples on sale...guess I should have bought more as well...can't wait to see the ones I did buy...(actually the first time I have bought from APMEX, so curious to see how the whole transaction pans out--ordering was sure easy--will wait to see what delivery time is like).

Nice to see we have a member here from APMEX--maybe we can convince him to offer more specials like the last one--maybe even some just for the great folks here at realcent! Welcome to the forum dmccarty!
Go to Top of Page

Ant
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2008 :  12:21:28  Show Profile Send Ant a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by dmccarty

Ant,
Dave here from APMEX. very strange to hear about your delivery being left on your doorstep. That is highly unusual. EVERYTHING we ship is fully insured and sent registered mail - so you HAVE to sign for it. So if they were left on your doorstep, that sounds like a lazy postman to me. You are more than welcome to call us and confirm that the shipments were registered, but I would call your PostMaster at your local office to let them know.

Dave -- thanks for the reply. Both my packages were sent with only delivery confirmation, not signature confirmation. Mail sent with delivery confirmation is considered "non-accountable" mail, meaning no signature is required for the carrier to release the mail.

I have no doubt that the package was sent via registered mail. However, to receive signature confirmation (or delivery confirmation, for that matter), it appears that the shipper must select it. Signature confirmation is not a default for registered mail.

Some folks are receiving their packages with signature confirmation and others are only getting delivery confirmation.

See: You must be logged in to see this link.

Please let me know what I can do in the future to ensure that my packages are sent with signature confirmation. Please feel free to PM or e-mail me if you'd prefer -- my e-mail is carter_pinnix at yahoo dot com.

Thanks again for your help.

Lovely dimes, the liveliest coin, the one that really jingles. --Truman Capote

Coins are the metallic footprints of the history of nations. --William H. Woodin

Edited by - Ant on 09/02/2008 12:23:25
Go to Top of Page

natsb88
Administrator

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2008 :  13:39:47  Show Profile Send natsb88 a Private Message
The USPS attempted to deliver an APMEX order for my mother today, but since nobody was home to sign for it we got the slip to pick it up at the Post Office. Same story for all of our APMEX orders so far.

Nate
The Copper Cave

Go to Top of Page

moboman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2555 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2008 :  13:45:09  Show Profile Send moboman a Private Message
Did I just not order enough?
I got this in an email from APMEX today. "We expect to ship your order within 2-5 business days of this e-mail. Your estimated shipdate is Sep 9 2008"

That is 6 business days from my order and I paid by credit card.

Aunt, I actually would prefer my order left w/o signature confirmation. I get everything shipped to our office, which no one is at during the day. But the postman, fedex (express/ground), ups, and dhl can all get in. I hate when I get those stupid pink cards from the PO saying that there is a package requiring signature or it was a registered letter.

Go to Top of Page

kavajava
Penny Collector Member

USA
490 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2008 :  14:36:02  Show Profile Send kavajava a Private Message
moboman--I also was a little surprised at the length of time they are estimating to ship--but like I said this is my first order so I will wait and see how it all goes--I am hoping it is a case of "this is the worst case scenario of when we will ship--most likely it will be sooner" --but we will see...obviously all factors are taken into consideration for future orders--that is the beauty of the free market.
I also prefer that the postman just leaves the package--it is a big hassle if no one is home--but I would rather be safe than sorry...
Go to Top of Page

moboman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2555 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2008 :  15:22:43  Show Profile Send moboman a Private Message
It was my first time purchasing from them too. I hope you are right...

Go to Top of Page

kavajava
Penny Collector Member

USA
490 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2008 :  10:40:47  Show Profile Send kavajava a Private Message
I just got an e mail saying it was shipped today, so that is much better than the original estimate...
Go to Top of Page

horgad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1641 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2008 :  11:04:06  Show Profile Send horgad a Private Message
Maples are $1.99 over spot at Tulving shipping including but you have to buy them 500 at a time. Also he is currently buying them from the public at $1.50 over spot. So he is making 500 * .50 - shipping assuming the spot price stays...which of course it never does. I suppose they are cheaper when/if is able to get them straight from the Canadian, but I don't know.

Tulving runs a tight ship counting on high volumes to make up for slim margins. Maybe somebody should buy a box and sell it off piece by piece to other board members at cost ($1.99 over spot plus shipping). We could create something like a PM COOP.

Better yet if we could figure out how to buy bulk PMs wholesale and use them to stock a not for profit PM COOP.

Edited by - horgad on 09/03/2008 11:13:53
Go to Top of Page

kavajava
Penny Collector Member

USA
490 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2008 :  13:57:21  Show Profile Send kavajava a Private Message
yeah--if I had the money I would definitely be buying from Tulving...his prices can rarely be beaten--you just have to buy the minimum number of ounces...
Go to Top of Page

ScottyTX
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2008 :  20:20:06  Show Profile Send ScottyTX a Private Message
Horgad, I was just thinking of some ideas along those lines, I cannot afford to buy 500oz at a time, and Kitco has them for 2.25 over spot, apmex seems to be around 3.00 or so. would be nice to save a bit on shipping and price over spot.
Go to Top of Page

Delawhere Jack
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1680 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2008 :  21:53:53  Show Profile Send Delawhere Jack a Private Message
Ordered 25 Maples Sat., got shipped notification by email today. Paid with debit Visa card. Maybe debit clears faster than credit? My only gripe is that they charge more for debit shipping than for a check purchase. Ok, I can see a minor premium to cover the card fees, but it was something like $7 more for shipping when purchasing by debit card rather than by check?!? I would think that a debit card can be verified a lot faster, and the funds transfer almost immediately... Even at that, a DAMN GOOD DEAL! Can't find small quantities at those terms easily.

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

moboman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2555 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2008 :  22:08:12  Show Profile Send moboman a Private Message
I used a debit card too. I dont believe in credit cards, and dont have any except for a couple of them for work.
I got shipping notification today as well. I think im addicted, I need more

Go to Top of Page

ScottyTX
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2008 :  22:28:08  Show Profile Send ScottyTX a Private Message
grrrr, I waited a day or two before I mailed my payment, read online they want it in 5 days, so.. I had to mail it priority. 4.80 shipping, 1.00 for gas, 2.00+- money order to get the discount, grrrrr I'm thinking.... geee looks like I didn't save as much as I thought I would.

I don't believe in cash, never have any on me I get 3-5% back on just about everything I buy with credit cards and treat them like cash, pay in full at the end of each month, no charges just money back. The only cash I usually have is copper pennies jingling in my pockets!!!
Go to Top of Page

natsb88
Administrator

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2008 :  22:29:13  Show Profile Send natsb88 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Delawhere Jack

Ordered 25 Maples Sat., got shipped notification by email today. Paid with debit Visa card. Maybe debit clears faster than credit? My only gripe is that they charge more for debit shipping than for a check purchase. Ok, I can see a minor premium to cover the card fees, but it was something like $7 more for shipping when purchasing by debit card rather than by check?!? I would think that a debit card can be verified a lot faster, and the funds transfer almost immediately... Even at that, a DAMN GOOD DEAL! Can't find small quantities at those terms easily.

For APMEX the credit card shipping adds 3% of the order total to the cost. Most credit card processors charge a base fee (anywhere from 15 cents to 50 cents), plus a percentage of the total transaction (2.5% - 5%). So 3% is just about right, from a retailers perspective anyway

Nate
The Copper Cave

Go to Top of Page

moboman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2555 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2008 :  22:31:30  Show Profile Send moboman a Private Message
quote:

grrrr, I waited a day or two before I mailed my payment, read online they want it in 5 days, so.. I had to mail it priority. 4.80 shipping, 1.00 for gas, 2.00+- money order to get the discount, grrrrr I'm thinking.... geee looks like I didn't save as much as I thought I would.

I don't believe in cash, never have any on me I get 3-5% back on just about everything I buy with credit cards and treat them like cash, pay in full at the end of each month, no charges just money back. The only cash I usually have is copper pennies jingling in my pockets!!!

you are the exact opposite of me. . If I'm at a store, or the movie theater or lunch or whatever I pay cash. If I order online, I pay with paypal or my debit card.
Credit card fees only drive the prices up for consumers! If the merchant has to pay an extra % to the CC fee, they will pass the fee right onto the customer. I really think every store should go to a cash and a credit price pricing scheme!

Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2008 :  22:39:24  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by horgad

I suppose they are cheaper when/if is able to get them straight from the Canadian, but I don't know.

Royal Canadian Mint only sells bullion to selected dealers at a premium over spot. I bought several tubes from J and M in Vancouver and paid about $2.00 over spot (with exchange rate it was a little hard to figure). They are a major distributor for the Mint.

On a side note, they have a 1 kilo Silver RCM coin there - what a work of art! There is a lot you can engrave on a kilo of silver.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

kavajava
Penny Collector Member

USA
490 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2008 :  01:09:35  Show Profile Send kavajava a Private Message
quote:

That's one of the ways I justified using my credit card for the small order I placed--by the time you add all the small costs, it is almost not worth the trouble (but for a larger order it probably would be).
Go to Top of Page

PennehChaos.
Penny Collector Member

USA
269 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2008 :  08:37:37  Show Profile Send PennehChaos. a Private Message
Kitco may be a bit cheaper, but with $30 shipping you still have to order a fair amount to make it a good deal. If you only have a couple hundred to spend on PMs, APMEX seems to be a good bet. I thought about trying Casper, but I hate calling people

As far as a co-op, it only works as long as everyone is honest... Get one fake money order in the mix and it suddenly becomes a really bad idea! Might work in person for a coin club or something, over the Internet, no way.

Considering Verizon Business service? Perhaps you'd like to consider a nice drain cleaner enema instead?
Go to Top of Page

TexasPQ
Penny Sorter Member

47 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2008 :  17:50:21  Show Profile Send TexasPQ a Private Message
I placed one order with APMEX and it went through fine. The shipping charge jumps from $13 to $20 at the $500 amount so I put one in right under $500.

Just looked at the site and the American Silver Eagles are back - no more "delayed shipping" warning. 15.72 each if get 20 or more.

Go to Top of Page

kavajava
Penny Collector Member

USA
490 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2008 :  15:44:49  Show Profile Send kavajava a Private Message
Got my order today...so, I am very happy with the ship time--ordered Friday of a three day holiday weekend, shipped on Wednesday, received on Friday...

So, all in all I am very satisfied with my first order from APMEX and will look forward to buying from them again...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2