Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals
 APMEX is running a special on silver Maples
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Delawhere Jack
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1680 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2008 :  17:30:20  Show Profile Send Delawhere Jack a Private Message
Found my USPS call slip in the mail when I got home from work. Looks like I'll be braving Hanna's fury to go to the Post Office tomorrow.

Ordered last Sat., shipped Wed. here on Fri. Thanks APMEX, and let's here it for the USPS, they're really competing with FEDEX and UPS well these days!

BTW, My two orders with Kitco in the spring never went as smoothly as this one with APMEX.

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2008 :  17:44:56  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
New message in Red on the J&M website (Vancouver based major RCM dealer with good reputation) You must be logged in to see this link.

NOTICE: Due to the massive shortages of physical (real) precious metal bullion, the prices shown may not always be 100% accurate. We apologize for any confusion of inconvenience. We sincerely hope normal supplies will resume soon.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

kavajava
Penny Collector Member

USA
490 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2008 :  18:15:33  Show Profile Send kavajava a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Delawhere Jack

and let's here it for the USPS, they're really competing with FEDEX and UPS well these days!

yes--you are right--USPS Priority mail is usually working pretty well these days and is usually a great deal...
Go to Top of Page

Delawhere Jack
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1680 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2008 :  22:04:57  Show Profile Send Delawhere Jack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by kavajava

quote:

and let's here it for the USPS, they're really competing with FEDEX and UPS well these days!

yes--you are right--USPS Priority mail is usually working pretty well these days and is usually a great deal...

Amazing what a little competition will do, heh.

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

Nickelless
Administrator

USA
5580 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2008 :  23:41:09  Show Profile Send Nickelless a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by legacypac

New message in Red on the J&M website (Vancouver based major RCM dealer with good reputation) You must be logged in to see this link.

NOTICE: Due to the massive shortages of physical (real) precious metal bullion, the prices shown may not always be 100% accurate. We apologize for any confusion of inconvenience. We sincerely hope normal supplies will resume soon.

There can't be shortages, there are PLENTY of ETFs.

Visit my new preparedness site: Preparedness.cc/SurvivalPrep.net
--Latest article: Stocking up on spices to keep food preps lively

---------------

Be prepared...and prepared to help: http://www.survivalblog.com/charity.html

Are you ready spiritually for hard times? http://www.jesusfreak.com/rapture.asp
Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2008 :  00:03:57  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
I even bought into the iTrade SLV ETF in the current dip. They claim to hold real silver, and track the price of silver pretty close. Hope to make back some money in my retirement account with this. Of course I'm loading up on real silver too.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

Nickelless
Administrator

USA
5580 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2008 :  00:09:57  Show Profile Send Nickelless a Private Message
How close are you to retirement, Legacypac? I've got 28 years before I turn 65, but given the future of the U.S. economy, methinks "retirement" won't really exist.

Visit my new preparedness site: Preparedness.cc/SurvivalPrep.net
--Latest article: Stocking up on spices to keep food preps lively

---------------

Be prepared...and prepared to help: http://www.survivalblog.com/charity.html

Are you ready spiritually for hard times? http://www.jesusfreak.com/rapture.asp
Go to Top of Page

moboman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2555 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2008 :  02:39:55  Show Profile Send moboman a Private Message
mine came today. No signature required! sitting at the office when i got there this afternoon. This was good for me, but why didnt i get a pink slip making me go back in the morning?

"99% of all lawyers give the rest of them a bad name"

Go to Top of Page

kavajava
Penny Collector Member

USA
490 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2008 :  07:58:09  Show Profile Send kavajava a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by moboman

mine came today. No signature required! sitting at the office when i got there this afternoon. This was good for me, but why didnt i get a pink slip making me go back in the morning?
Did your box have the big bright neon yellow "signature required" sticker on it? Maybe someone else signed for it?
BTW--mine was not sent registered mail, just signature required--which probably sped up the delivery--my understanding is that registered slows things down quite a bit...
Go to Top of Page

daviscfad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1664 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2008 :  12:39:06  Show Profile Send daviscfad a Private Message
hey do you think its better to have 25 maple leaves or 1 25 oz bar

Inquiring minds want to know
Go to Top of Page

kavajava
Penny Collector Member

USA
490 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2008 :  13:11:32  Show Profile Send kavajava a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by daviscfad

hey do you think its better to have 25 maple leaves or 1 25 oz bar

25 individual Maples--especially if they are in the new, yellow top tubes.
Go to Top of Page

daviscfad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1664 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2008 :  13:24:16  Show Profile Send daviscfad a Private Message
they sell easier or something

Go to Top of Page

kavajava
Penny Collector Member

USA
490 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2008 :  13:34:26  Show Profile Send kavajava a Private Message
Individual ounces because they can be sold individually or in bulk as needed (or bartered easily if it comes down to it)...also because they are easily recognized and don't need to be assayed (which realistically a 25 oz bar shouldn't need to be but you never know).

The big 25 oz yellow top tubes are just cool and have some heft when you hold them...was surprised how much bigger than a tube of Eagles it feels like.

With a 25 oz bar you have to sell/trade the whole thing at one time (well you don't have to but it would seem foolish to cut it up).
Go to Top of Page

kavajava
Penny Collector Member

USA
490 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2008 :  13:38:36  Show Profile Send kavajava a Private Message
Oh yeah--forgot to mention--there are not a lot of easily recognized, big name 25 oz bars that I am aware of--did you have a specific brand in mind? Personally would not want a no name brand for an odd size bar -- but there are probably many here who do not feel the same way -- "silver is silver" --which is not quite true as you can see by the various premiums for different forms of the metal.
Go to Top of Page

natsb88
Administrator

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2008 :  13:51:11  Show Profile Send natsb88 a Private Message
quote:
Did your box have the big bright neon yellow "signature required" sticker on it?

Mine had that sticker for the first time on my latest order, but I've always had to sign no matter what.

Nate
The Copper Cave

Edited by - natsb88 on 09/06/2008 13:51:37
Go to Top of Page

daviscfad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1664 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2008 :  14:54:14  Show Profile Send daviscfad a Private Message
kava saw it on apmex here is the link
You must be logged in to see this link.

Go to Top of Page

moboman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2555 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2008 :  16:07:24  Show Profile Send moboman a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Did your box have the big bright neon yellow "signature required" sticker on it? Maybe someone else signed for it?
BTW--mine was not sent registered mail, just signature required--which probably sped up the delivery--my understanding is that registered slows things down quite a bit...

all it had was a stamps.com shipping label. The postage was $6.62.

Go to Top of Page

Ant
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2008 :  16:21:59  Show Profile Send Ant a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

all it had was a stamps.com shipping label. The postage was $6.62.

To clarify, a package can be sent via registered mail without having signature confirmation. The signature confirmation option is available, as is delivery confirmation, but the shipper has to select one of these options.

Within the time frame that I received two packages from APMEX (delivery confirmation only), I also received two packages with signature confirmation, from the same postal carrier, so the carrier does follow the proper procedure when a package is marked "signature confirmation". At least in my case, the mistake is on the shipper's end, since neither APMEX package was marked with "signature confirmation," only "delivery confirmation". The fact that some packages are being shipped from APMEX with signature confirmation and some with only delivery confirmation leads me to believe that the problem is not systemic or intentional on APMEX's part.

Lovely dimes, the liveliest coin, the one that really jingles. --Truman Capote

Coins are the metallic footprints of the history of nations. --William H. Woodin

Edited by - Ant on 09/06/2008 16:37:21
Go to Top of Page

PennehChaos.
Penny Collector Member

USA
269 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2008 :  18:05:33  Show Profile Send PennehChaos. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by dmccarty

Ant,
Dave here from APMEX. very strange to hear about your delivery being left on your doorstep. That is highly unusual. EVERYTHING we ship is fully insured and sent registered mail - so you HAVE to sign for it.

Apparently it's not as unusual as you think!

$3.22 in postage, left in my mailbox on a rural road... at least if somebody had grabbed it, the post office would be able to tell me it had been "delivered"

Considering Verizon Business service? Perhaps you'd like to consider a nice drain cleaner enema instead?
Go to Top of Page

moboman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2555 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2008 :  21:52:27  Show Profile Send moboman a Private Message
quote:

quote:

I realize this is a little off topic. But I just sent a 4.2lb package to a forum member here. The cost was going to be $8.14 if I print a label online w/o insurance from USPS. The package was $8.50 to ship FedEx home delivery with $100 insurance.
USPS would have been a ripoff in this case.

Go to Top of Page

natsb88
Administrator

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2008 :  21:57:27  Show Profile Send natsb88 a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

I realize this is a little off topic. But I just sent a 4.2lb package to a forum member here. The cost was going to be $8.14 if I print a label online w/o insurance from USPS. The package was $8.50 to ship FedEx home delivery with $100 insurance.

Would it have fit in a Flat Rate Envelope? I've been using those a lot for the Copper Cave. I can get 4-5 pounds in there for $4.80.

Nate
The Copper Cave

Go to Top of Page

moboman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2555 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2008 :  22:30:54  Show Profile Send moboman a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by natsb88

quote:

quote:

quote:

Would it have fit in a Flat Rate Envelope? I've been using those a lot for the Copper Cave. I can get 4-5 pounds in there for $4.80.

They were rolls of nickels. I'm not sure if they could have or not. I wouldnt have wanted to take a chance with an envelope, I dont think. I've only used envelopes for documents, and one time I shipped a couple of jerseys inside one.

Go to Top of Page

natsb88
Administrator

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2008 :  23:02:16  Show Profile Send natsb88 a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by natsb88

quote:

quote:

quote:

They were rolls of nickels. I'm not sure if they could have or not. I wouldnt have wanted to take a chance with an envelope, I dont think. I've only used envelopes for documents, and one time I shipped a couple of jerseys inside one.

I just sent 5 pounds of nickel and 2 pounds of copper to Italy. Divided it up into two Flat Rate Envelopes (there's a 4 pound limit for sending internationally). I usually use some combination of tyvek and the smaller cardboard envelopes to secure everything (and bubble wrap if needed), and then place that inside the Flat Rate Envelope. Then I run packing tape along all the outside edges to reinforce the cardboard envelope. Haven't had any problems yet...

Nate
The Copper Cave

Go to Top of Page

moboman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2555 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2008 :  23:18:33  Show Profile Send moboman a Private Message
Wow, the coppercave has gone international!
thanks for the help nate.

Edited by - moboman on 09/08/2008 23:18:53
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2