Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Copper Penny Bullion Investing
 How much education do we have?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

lewbo
Penny Pincher Member

USA
221 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2009 :  20:07:57  Show Profile Send lewbo a Private Message
BS in Electrical Engineering and a MBA, but was not smart enough to save those silver quarters and wheats when I was a kid. Now paying 13 times face, 4 times face and hand sorting for copper.
Go to Top of Page

Cupronickel
Penny Pincher Member

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2009 :  10:26:33  Show Profile Send Cupronickel a Private Message
Dual major in microbiology and chemistry. Didn't really plan to do that, but the amount of chem needed for the micro degree was pretty intensive, so it only took a few more upper level classes to get it. Did a couple of years on a MS in astronomy (part-time), but the math requirements and time available for classwork, made completion very difficult.

Worked 3-1/2 years in the field, 1 year working as a research assistant. That was interesting work; gene splicing into plasmids, learned PCR technique, just as the technology was made available to the average lab. Left the Univ. for a private biotech firm that, that among other things, specialized in custom antisense DNA and RNA sequences, made to order. I was a jack-of-all trades there. Did some programming for the ordereing and production part of the biz, learned how to synthesize sequences using automated equipment, purify DNA with HPLC's and gels. Very cool stuff, one of the jobs that I really liked! THe dot-com burst killed most of the venture capital available and the funding from other sources wasn't enough to keep the doors open, so they folded in 1992. Never went back into the field. With only a BS, my earning potential in that field would always be limited and I moved on into more profitable positions in heavy industry.
Go to Top of Page

rosco
Penny Collector Member

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2010 :  23:06:37  Show Profile Send rosco a Private Message
lets pick this back up.

AA in Data processing 60s and 70s old stuff IBM 1440 and IBM 360-25 mostly COBOL.

AA in Manufacturing Tech spent 12 years running CNC mills

Retired an spent money on some World travel. Now running around USA in a RV looking for coins

Old Geezer a HAND Sorter
Go to Top of Page

Sheikh_yer_BuTay
Penny Pincher Member

USA
232 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  02:08:56  Show Profile Send Sheikh_yer_BuTay a Private Message
Masters from the School of Hard Knocks.

"The most fiscally irresponsible government in American history."
Mort Zuckerman, liberal columnist and former Obama speech writer
Go to Top of Page

abe
Penny Pincher Member

117 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  07:31:28  Show Profile Send abe a Private Message
I graduated HS with a foot buried where I sit. In school I learned to read and write and do a little math. Outside of school it was on-the-job-training where I got my best knowledge. I've always had a hard time putting words together just to make a simple sentence understandable.
I truly believe that people are wired up differently, some have it, some don't. This country is crawling with educated idiots and uneducated genius's. My auto mechanic dropped out of school in the 7th grade and dozens of highly educated mechanics look to him for answers. Another friend never made it past the 5th grade (4 years), he has both master plumbing & electrical licences. A woman I know has a masters degree and goes through at least 12 jobs a year, lets face it, she's dumb as a box of rocks BUT she has that piece of paper and people hire her very quickly. It doesn't take long for others to figure her out. I think its a crying shame that so many places won't hire people because of a piece of paper.
Go to Top of Page

Roadrunner
Penny Collector Member

USA
413 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  08:21:00  Show Profile Send Roadrunner a Private Message
I'm in HS, just like many others here. I have been to the National Spelling Bee and narrowly missed going to the National Geography Bee.

Selling rolls of ultra-rare 1956-1958 wheat pennies for a mere $5 shipped.
Go to Top of Page

PreservingThePast
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1572 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  09:13:00  Show Profile Send PreservingThePast a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Roadrunner

I'm in HS, just like many others here. I have been to the National Spelling Bee and narrowly missed going to the National Geography Bee.

Cool!!!

Before we began homeschooling our son represented his school in both one year. Never made it out of the district though.

I volunteered at the school he attended before our homeschooling and I taught, or tried to teach, every child I tutored at the school the "i before e rule" that I had learned in about 9th grade. I think the kids were more fascinated that I could remember something from so long ago rather that actually fascinated with the rule.

Go to Top of Page

rodebaugh
Penny Collector Member

USA
377 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  09:27:56  Show Profile Send rodebaugh a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Roadrunner

now that is cool and something to be proud of. Spelling is my kryptonight or is it krytonite?

http://rodebaugh.ecrater.com/
Go to Top of Page

Copper Nugget

Canada
9 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  21:32:50  Show Profile Send Copper Nugget a Private Message
I quit school after finishing grade ten in 2001 and got a job at ODG Ontario Drive and Gear, welding argo frames, saved enough to buy my first farm, which I later sold out to my younger bro. Now I'm married and have two children, managing 400 acres, 2000 hogs, 180 beef cattle, and hoarding copper. God is good, life is good!!
Go to Top of Page

thogey
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1617 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  21:45:34  Show Profile Send thogey a Private Message
BS, MSA,

Now I pull weeds and dig holes for a living...God is good, life is good.

Come to the new and improved realcent: http://realcent.org
Go to Top of Page

Quagmire
Penny Sorter Member

62 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2010 :  03:32:18  Show Profile Send Quagmire a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Flbandit

Speaking of vows of poverty, my degree is Psychology. (So, how do you feel when you get a skunk box?)!!

I have a BS in Psych as well, I could have saved $50,000 or more by buying $50,000 worth of toilet paper instead, for all the good that POS degree does me.

However, I am in a master's program for some kind of counseling degree, which will at least offer me the opportunity to set up my own business (check writing therapy ) with minimal capital investment. This is the only value that my use the bathroom degree provides.

I am also working on a BS Biology degree on the side at the same time...bio was and is my passion...honestly I can't wait to finish this cursed masters so I can resume pursuing biology full time.
Go to Top of Page

scaryman

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2010 :  19:57:31  Show Profile Send scaryman a Private Message
Undergrad and Masters in Agronomy with a focus on plant breeding. The sheepskin is just an invitation to the game. Industry teaches you what they need you to know.

I learned more from Dave Ramsey and Rich Dad/Poor Dad about financial matters than from 6 years in college.
Go to Top of Page

Mayhem1226

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2010 :  22:33:12  Show Profile Send Mayhem1226 a Private Message
I have a technical degree in Mechanical drafting, lsft the field 8 years ago...burnt out. I'm really interested in energy tech. mostly zero point. Out of all the people I've met , the one who made the most money never went to college, but owned a business, and were always learning somthing new
Go to Top of Page

Aristobolus
Penny Sorter Member

76 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2010 :  00:36:09  Show Profile Send Aristobolus a Private Message
I would like our next poll to ask,"How many millionaires are among us?"
Go to Top of Page

Blackrabbit
Penny Sorter Member

27 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2010 :  11:28:38  Show Profile Send Blackrabbit a Private Message
I was a professional university student for 11 years but all I got was a Bachelors degree in Sociology, I would have a Masters but I never could get my slacker butt to write up my thesis. I have always been fascinated with understanding weird collective behavior so realcent is fabulous! :)
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2010 :  17:12:35  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Aristobolus

I would like our next poll to ask,"How many millionaires are among us?"

Is already a Billionaire!.. .. .. .. In Zimbabwe

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Now selling Copper pennies. 1.6x plus shipping. Limited amounts available.
Go to Top of Page

Heartkill
Penny Sorter Member

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2010 :  10:34:57  Show Profile Send Heartkill a Private Message
I'm using my GI Bill to finish up a CCAF degree in Electronics Systems Technology, which is equal to an associates. I have several fiber optics installation certifications as well.
Go to Top of Page

AGgressive Metal
Administrator

USA
1937 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2010 :  15:13:58  Show Profile Send AGgressive Metal a Private Message
A JD is somewhere in between a masters and doctorate I think, so I just clicked Masters. Even though I have a Juris Doctor, I wouldn't really call myself a Doctor of Laws, haha. People on here are very educated - probably more so than most employees at the Federal Reserve, lol.

And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel / For nothyng is better than lyberte / For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world.
-Caxton's edition of Aesop's Fables, 1484
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2