Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins
 Buffalo or Indian Head nickel?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2008 :  19:11:23  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message

So what is it to you, Buffalo or Indian Head Nickel?

Realcent.forumco.com disclosure. Please read.
All posts either by the members, moderators, and the administration of http://realcent.forumco.com are for your edification and amusement only. It is not the intent of realcent.forumco.com or its host to provide investment, medical, matrimonial, legal, security or tax advice and nothing posted here should be considered to be so. All rights reserved.

Think positive.

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2008 :  19:57:54  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
I'm not sure now that you ask....Indian Head I think....

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

aloneibreak
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
672 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2008 :  20:06:59  Show Profile Send aloneibreak a Private Message
buffalo nickel to me. but i hate looking for buffalo nickel rolls on ebay and having results come up for the newer bison nickels.

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2008 :  20:31:11  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
Pretty sure they call it a Bison rather than a Buffalo. Check with your local zoologist to be sure.. LOL. I call em both Buffalo and Indian nickels but tend to use the term Buffalo more often. I also call them Beefalo nickels.

Without looking it up.. can you name the 3 Indians that modeled for it? How about the name of the Bison? Do you know where his head is now?

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Now selling Copper pennies. 1.6x plus shipping. Limited amounts available.

Edited by - HoardCopperByTheTon on 03/31/2008 22:03:21
Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2008 :  20:49:29  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
I call them Buffalo nickels. I recall as a young kid taking the train into Buffalo, New York and at the station they had a huge Buffalo nickel there. A thing like that can warp a kid. Make him end up hoarding nickels. Even today as you take I 90 into Buffalo they have life size bronze Buffalos along the side of the freeway.

All posts either by the members, moderators, and the administration of http://realcent.forumco.com are for your edification and amusement only. It is not the intent of realcent.forumco.com or its host to provide investment, medical, matrimonial, legal, security or tax advice and nothing posted here should be considered to be so. All rights reserved.

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

fiatboy
Administrator

912 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2008 :  20:52:18  Show Profile Send fiatboy a Private Message
buffalo nickel

"Bart, it's not about how many stocks you have, it's about how much copper wire you can get out of the building." --- Homer Simpson
Go to Top of Page

misteroman
Administrator

USA
2565 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2008 :  22:22:40  Show Profile Send misteroman a Private Message
Buffalo here but probably because I live outside buffalo ny.Ardent why the frequent trips up here?Stop in for a slice sometime on me!!!
Derek

Buying CU cents!!!! Paying 1.2 unlimited amounts wanted. Can pick up if near Ohio area.
Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2008 :  06:37:57  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by misteroman

Buffalo here but probably because I live outside buffalo ny.Ardent why the frequent trips up here?Stop in for a slice sometime on me!!!
Derek

We often pass through on our way to the falls. I just may take you up on that slice.

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

pennypincher
Penny Sorter Member

67 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2008 :  10:30:15  Show Profile Send pennypincher a Private Message
We always call them buffalo nickels. The term indian head is reserved for the pennies.
Go to Top of Page

aloneibreak
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
672 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2008 :  11:54:08  Show Profile Send aloneibreak a Private Message
hey HCBTT. quit keeping us in suspense. i never knew the buffalo had a name.

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

Cerulean
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2008 :  13:31:39  Show Profile Send Cerulean a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by pennypincher

We always call them buffalo nickels. The term indian head is reserved for the pennies.

I agree. "Indian Head" is an old penny design. "Bison nickel" refers to a 2005 Westward Journey series member.

Fun fact: The Sioux word for bison is "tatanka".

Sorting Map
2010 First Finds Contest
Are you a Buffalo Hunter?
Wanna take seignorage away from the Fed? Spend *any* coins!
We cannot afford this government.
Cerulean's Standing Offer: $3/lb shipped for foreign coins
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

139 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2008 :  15:51:32  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
we call an indian penny "indian" when theres no "indian" on the coin.
at least there is an indian and a buffalo on the nickel...
hey....why is there 4 legs on that buffalo?
Go to Top of Page

Crash
Penny Pincher Member

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2008 :  16:20:44  Show Profile Send Crash a Private Message
I've always called and heard them referred to as buffalo nickels.
Go to Top of Page

misteroman
Administrator

USA
2565 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2008 :  01:44:57  Show Profile Send misteroman a Private Message
Ardent,I'm pretty sure you've heard of a place called grand Island?You pretty much take the I-190 across it to get to the falls,just past Buffalo.As soon as you go over the bridge there is an exit that will take you from one end of the Island to the other and right back on the other bridge.You'll drive right by my place.Make sure ya PM me the next time you come.Your Family's meal will be on me for running this great site!!!
Derek

Buying CU cents!!!! Paying 1.2 unlimited amounts wanted. Can pick up if near Ohio area.
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2008 :  08:48:19  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by aloneibreak

hey HCBTT. quit keeping us in suspense. i never knew the buffalo had a name.

The Buffalo was named Black Diamond. He was living in the New York Zoological Gardens at the time. His stuffed head is now located on the wall in a house in Baltimore, MD. Some people got to go see him on a special tour during the ANA convention in Baltimore a few years back.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Now selling Copper pennies. 1.6x plus shipping. Limited amounts available.

Edited by - HoardCopperByTheTon on 04/04/2008 08:49:39
Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2008 :  09:28:48  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by misteroman

Ardent,I'm pretty sure you've heard of a place called grand Island?You pretty much take the I-190 across it to get to the falls,just past Buffalo.As soon as you go over the bridge there is an exit that will take you from one end of the Island to the other and right back on the other bridge.You'll drive right by my place.Make sure ya PM me the next time you come.Your Family's meal will be on me for running this great site!!!
Derek

Thanks. I know Grand Island well. I always wanted an excuse to get off there. Would you be up for a falls get together? See the members only forum for more discussion.

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

pencilvanian
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2209 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2008 :  15:31:05  Show Profile Send pencilvanian a Private Message
I had always heard of them referred to as buffalo nickels. Maybe because the buffalo was the first animal other than an eagle featured on a circulating US coin that the name buffalo nickel stuck.
Just my guess of course.

Edited by - pencilvanian on 04/04/2008 15:33:07
Go to Top of Page

eharrison
Penny Pincher Member

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  23:59:49  Show Profile Send eharrison a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Cerulean

quote:
Originally posted by pennypincher

I agree. "Indian Head" is an old penny design. "Bison nickel" refers to a 2005 Westward Journey series member.

Fun fact: The Sioux word for bison is "tatanka".

DITTO

Freedom is popular
That's why I voted
Ron Paul!
Go to Top of Page

Know Common Cents
Penny Pincher Member

195 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  19:45:04  Show Profile Send Know Common Cents a Private Message
Without hesitation, the Buffalo nickel. When someone mentions an Indian Head nickel to me, I always have a momentary pause until the Indian Head = Buffalo thing kicks in. I have enough of those DUH moments anyway without this confusion.

Here in Wisconsin, we have some of the highest property and gasoline taxes in the US. We're squeezed so much, I have to make my daughter wear penny boxes for shoes. At least she has an endless supply.
Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  19:54:38  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message

The new Buffalo nickel was a nice try, but no cigar.

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

misteroman
Administrator

USA
2565 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  22:55:31  Show Profile Send misteroman a Private Message
^^^ I've saved everyone of those I've gotten since they have come out.I bet I've only pulled about 100 out of change as I think everyone else is saving them as well

Go to Top of Page

jpf231
Penny Collector Member

USA
340 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  15:42:36  Show Profile Send jpf231 a Private Message
Absolutely a "Beef"alo.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

39 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2008 :  21:24:43  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
i call them buffalo nickels. most of the time you name the back like wheet pennies and indian head pennies. oh wait... indians are the front. hm,,. i dunno. i call the buffalos because they are cuter.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2