Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins
 Bagsof nickels
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wheeler_dealer
Penny Collector Member

USA
402 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2008 :  12:05:07  Show Profile  Send wheeler_dealer a Yahoo! Message Send wheeler_dealer a Private Message
Anyone here currently buying bags of nickels instead of rolls? Are you finding any war nickels in the bags? Is disposal a problem if only sorting for war nickels?

TenBears
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2008 :  12:24:40  Show Profile Send TenBears a Private Message
I did not know I could buy bags anywhere. I buy my nickels in $100 boxes, that is 50 rolls. Yes, I am finding war nickels at the rate of about 1 war nickel to every 3 boxes searched.

Missed your third question. Thus, this edit. I take my sorted nickels and pennies to a local Century Bank with a free coin counter. So, no problem with nickel disposal here. Whereever you dump your pennies should also take your nickels, assuming you are or were a penny sorter.

"Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is not baying after what you can't have. Rich is having the time to do what you want to do. Rich is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells. Rich is not owing any money to anybody, and not spending what you haven't got." Robert Ruark

there are too wild Indians...
there are too wild Indians...
there are too wild Indians...-----still taunted

Edited by - TenBears on 04/07/2008 12:27:05
Go to Top of Page

Know Common Cents
Penny Pincher Member

195 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  19:19:10  Show Profile Send Know Common Cents a Private Message
Chase and a couple of the regional banks here only offer nickels in $100 boxes. I usually hoard most of my nickels and only liberate the ones with heavy crud, nasty discoloration or have been the victim of a hammer. These banks will take all loose coin of any denomination at one time, so I dump my zincs, problem nickels and any other change I want to toss in for a deposit. In their high speed counting/sorting machine when the cents reach $50, nickels reach $100, etc., the machine will shut down and require the teller to change the plastic bag.

The teller pulls out the thick plastic bag crimps it shut and puts an inventory tag on it. I've asked if I can buy coins in those bags, but have been told that they're accountable inventory of the bank and not available to the public.

Still occasional nickels from the 1940s in my search. In fact, I just completed a 40 coin roll of 1939 Jeffersons pulled from circulation in the past year. Outside of those from the past few years, all Jeff nickels have pretty much looked the same from 1938-2003. Sort of an under-appreciated series because of that.

Here in Wisconsin, we have some of the highest property and gasoline taxes in the US. We're squeezed so much, I have to make my daughter wear penny boxes for shoes. At least she has an endless supply.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2