Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins
 90 YEARS OF SUPPLY!
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hector6man
Penny Pincher Member

USA
129 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2008 :  06:59:02  Show Profile Send hector6man a Private Message
Hey guys, I went on wiki to find out why nickel is going up in value but cant really find any info, do you guys know why it's move up? Also for the bullish hoarding nickelheads out there I found out on wiki also that there is only 90 years of nickel supply left in the world! wiki= wikipedia.org

"Ninety-nine percent of the failures come from people who have the habit of making excuses." -George Washington

swusc
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2008 :  07:08:09  Show Profile Send swusc a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by hector6man

Hey guys, I went on wiki to find out why nickel is going up in value but cant really find any info, do you guys know why it's move up? Also for the bullish hoarding nickelheads out there I found out on wiki also that there is only 90 years of nickel supply left in the world! wiki= wikipedia.org

Those years of supply are a little misleading. I am pretty sure they count only what can be produced at a profit. Well easy way to fix that number is just up the price. If you double or triple the price without doing the same to production cost, then (a lot?) new supply is available.

I doubt we can run out of any of these items in the true sense. If the price is high enough then we can produce it. In real world, if the price gets high enough people can't afford it.

I think the only way to get a shortage is for demand to be higher than possible daily output.

-SWUSC

`Everybody is ignorant. Only on different subjects.' Will Rogers

"This is the shabby secret of the welfare statists' tirades against gold. Deficit spending is simply a scheme for the "hidden" confiscation of wealth. Gold stands in the way of this insidious process. It stands as a protector of property rights. If one grasps this, one has no difficulty in understanding the statists' antagonism toward the gold standard." Alan Greenspan, 1966.
Go to Top of Page

horgad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1641 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2008 :  07:15:21  Show Profile Send horgad a Private Message
There is a 90 year supply of nickel given currently known in the ground deposits and the last that I checked that stuff is not getting any cheaper to dig up and extract. Above ground supplies of ready to use nickel are much, much tighter.

The stuff in the ground does not really tell the nickel price story especially if you don't couple it with the cost of extraction for all deposits. The above ground supply tells you much more, but is still not a perfect indicator. It hints at how much can be dug up profitably at the current price in relationship to how strong the demand is at the current price.

The tricky part is that there are many, many lagging causes and effects that can make the above ground supply numbers not tell the whole story (example: the time that it takes to get new nickel mines operational).

Edited by - horgad on 04/16/2008 07:24:12
Go to Top of Page

swusc
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2008 :  08:16:58  Show Profile Send swusc a Private Message
Ok so no matter what the price, we only have 90 years of nickel. Is that assuming any growth in demand? If not, then I guess we could assume growth will be covered by new finds.

-SWUSC

`Everybody is ignorant. Only on different subjects.' Will Rogers

"This is the shabby secret of the welfare statists' tirades against gold. Deficit spending is simply a scheme for the "hidden" confiscation of wealth. Gold stands in the way of this insidious process. It stands as a protector of property rights. If one grasps this, one has no difficulty in understanding the statists' antagonism toward the gold standard." Alan Greenspan, 1966.
Go to Top of Page

Tourney64
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1035 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2008 :  16:59:44  Show Profile Send Tourney64 a Private Message
One of the large uses of Nickel is for military equipment. China is consuming a large amount of Nickel. I wonder why?
Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2008 :  17:21:50  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
Based on geophysical evidence, most of the nickel on Earth is postulated to be concentrated in the Earth's core. So all they need to do is to dig real deep.

Realcent.forumco.com disclosure. Please read.
All posts either by the members, moderators, and the administration of http://realcent.forumco.com are for your edification and amusement only. It is not the intent of realcent.forumco.com or its host to provide investment, medical, matrimonial, legal, security or tax advice and nothing posted here should be considered to be so. All rights reserved.

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

pencilvanian
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2209 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2008 :  17:21:57  Show Profile Send pencilvanian a Private Message
The wikipedia aticle mentioned nickel mined on the surface but did not mention nickel that could be extracted from the sea floor.

You must be logged in to see this link.

Yes, the technology is still in its infancy, but the technology to extract diamonds from the sea floor has proven to work.

Who knows? Maybe 60-75 years from now meteorites will be mined for their nickel content.
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2008 :  19:19:35  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
I only plan on living another 89 years.. so I guess I am safe.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Now selling Copper pennies. 1.6x plus shipping. Limited amounts available.
Go to Top of Page

moboman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2555 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  21:47:27  Show Profile Send moboman a Private Message
I read China uses lots of nickel for the batteries in hybrid cars.

"99% of all lawyers give the rest of them a bad name"

Go to Top of Page

Cody8404
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
602 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2008 :  11:54:51  Show Profile Send Cody8404 a Private Message
Remember in 1970 we only had 30 years of Oil left in the world.

Awake, O kings of the earth! Come ye, O, come ye, with your gold and your silver, to the help of my people, to the house of the daughters of Zion, to the help of the people of the God of this Land even Jesus Christ.
Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2008 :  14:27:53  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
Well there is only a two year supply of copper pennies left.

Realcent.forumco.com disclosure. Please read.
All posts either by the members, moderators, and the administration of http://realcent.forumco.com are for your edification and amusement only. It is not the intent of realcent.forumco.com or its host to provide investment, medical, matrimonial, legal, security or tax advice and nothing posted here should be considered to be so. All rights reserved.

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

lilyrdape
Penny Pincher Member

USA
152 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2008 :  02:26:50  Show Profile  Send lilyrdape an AOL message Send lilyrdape a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ardent Listener

Well there is only a two year supply of copper pennies left.

theres no supply if your catching hoards dumps
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2