Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Tracking Threads Only
 Nickel sorting percentages and buying reports #1
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 18

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2008 :  19:15:17  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
I thought some of you might want to report your Canadian nickel sorting percentages and/or U.S. cupro-nickel buying reports.

When I bought a box of pennies today I though I would ask for $30 dollars in U.S. nickels. The tellers had to scrape them up among themselves but they delivered.

Realcent.forumco.com disclosure. Please read.
All posts either by the members, moderators, and the administration of http://realcent.forumco.com are for your edification and amusement only. It is not the intent of realcent.forumco.com or its host to provide investment, medical, matrimonial, legal, security or tax advice and nothing posted here should be considered to be so. All rights reserved.

Think positive.

mickeyman
Penny Pincher Member

Canada
243 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2008 :  22:31:56  Show Profile Send mickeyman a Private Message
Twelve rolls Canadian nickels. (yeah, I know but they are getting hard to find)

86 Ni (17.9%)
Steel now > 35%

Not all who wander are lost.
Go to Top of Page

fiatboy
Administrator

912 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2008 :  10:06:17  Show Profile Send fiatboy a Private Message
Sorted one box of U.S. nickels and found 2 silver war nickels. I didn't even expect to find one!

"Bart, it's not about how many stocks you have, it's about how much copper wire you can get out of the building." --- Homer Simpson
Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2008 :  18:14:52  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by fiatboy

Sorted one box of U.S. nickels and found 2 silver war nickels. I didn't even expect to find one!

The thought of obtaining silver war nickels may soon become motivation enough for me to want to start sorting my nickel hoard. Looking through my pocket change nickels I see a lot less Canadian nickels of any kind.

All posts either by the members, moderators, and the administration of http://realcent.forumco.com are for your edification and amusement only. It is not the intent of realcent.forumco.com or its host to provide investment, medical, matrimonial, legal, security or tax advice and nothing posted here should be considered to be so. All rights reserved.

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

mickeyman
Penny Pincher Member

Canada
243 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2008 :  16:45:26  Show Profile Send mickeyman a Private Message
21 rolls of Canadian nickels (would have been 23 but two rolls turned out to be pennies)
163 Ni (19.4%)

(later edit) and one Canadian war nickel (chrome-plated steel)

Edited by - mickeyman on 03/30/2008 16:47:46
Go to Top of Page

mickeyman
Penny Pincher Member

Canada
243 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  20:22:31  Show Profile Send mickeyman a Private Message
12 rolls of Canadian nickels

10 rolls all 2007s
14 Ni (16.1% from the two remaining rolls or - gaah! - about 3% of the total)

Go to Top of Page

mickeyman
Penny Pincher Member

Canada
243 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2008 :  20:41:25  Show Profile Send mickeyman a Private Message
20 rolls Canadian nickels

184 Ni (23%)

Go to Top of Page

mickeyman
Penny Pincher Member

Canada
243 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2008 :  09:47:12  Show Profile Send mickeyman a Private Message
I'm all alone here! Somebody buy some nickels for God's sake!

14 rolls Canadian
93 Ni (16.6%)

Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2008 :  10:40:03  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
If I "could" buy some Canadian nickels I certainly would. They are really hard to come by down here in California. I did buy 87 of them at coin club the other night.. a paltry 2 rolls.. LOL

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Now selling Copper pennies. 1.6x plus shipping. Limited amounts available.
Go to Top of Page

mickeyman
Penny Pincher Member

Canada
243 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2008 :  18:11:05  Show Profile Send mickeyman a Private Message
And I guess it's not that interesting with the American nickels

e.g. Bought 40 rolls of nickels.
All cupronickel.

Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2008 :  19:48:21  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by mickeyman

I'm all alone here! Somebody buy some nickels for God's sake!

14 rolls Canadian
93 Ni (16.6%)

I'm secretly buying. I thought I would just buy a few rolls but now I almost got a box full again. When I fill it I will put that box away and I know that I'll have to continue with still another until I got at least another $1,000 stashed away. Who's idea was it to start this nickel forum anyway?

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

TenBears
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2008 :  21:05:06  Show Profile Send TenBears a Private Message
I wish I had access to Canadian nickels to sort. I do sort a box of US nickels about once every two weeks or so. I have been finding, on average, about 1 silver war nickel per three to four boxes. I keep the Westward Journey nickels as well as anything pre 1960. I've never really kept track, but it is my guess I find about 10 dollars in Westward Journey nickels per box, and about a dollar's worth of pre 1960 per box. Now, Mickeyman, you're not alone.

"Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is not baying after what you can't have. Rich is having the time to do what you want to do. Rich is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells. Rich is not owing any money to anybody, and not spending what you haven't got." Robert Ruark

there are too wild Indians...
there are too wild Indians...-----still taunted

Go to Top of Page

mickeyman
Penny Pincher Member

Canada
243 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2008 :  17:41:02  Show Profile Send mickeyman a Private Message
20 rolls of Canadian nickels
62 Ni (7.8%)

Not as bad as first appears--ten of the rolls were new 2008s.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

17 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2008 :  19:06:16  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
The last box of nickels that I sorted contained 369 NI coins, about 18% Two were from the 1920's, which was surprising.
Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2008 :  19:08:02  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
Anyone pulling Buffalo nickels out of circulation?

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

TenBears
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2008 :  19:19:38  Show Profile Send TenBears a Private Message

Yes. My best guess is that I have sorted 15 to 20 boxes of nickels in 2008. I have found one Buffalo nickel. It still had a readable date. So, it had some numismatic value rather than just being pocket change. I found 2 Buffalos in 2007, neither with readable dates to the naked eye.

"Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is not baying after what you can't have. Rich is having the time to do what you want to do. Rich is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells. Rich is not owing any money to anybody, and not spending what you haven't got." Robert Ruark

Go to Top of Page

lilyrdape
Penny Pincher Member

USA
152 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2008 :  21:22:20  Show Profile  Send lilyrdape an AOL message Send lilyrdape a Private Message
i dont get my nickles from the bank i just get them from everyone i know cashing them in.

buying report for today 10dollars :p

trying to atleast put away a gallon or so
Go to Top of Page

fiatboy
Administrator

912 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2008 :  02:27:07  Show Profile Send fiatboy a Private Message
quote:

I haven't found one in about 6 months.
But I did find a V-nickel since then.

"Bart, it's not about how many stocks you have, it's about how much copper wire you can get out of the building." --- Homer Simpson
Go to Top of Page

TenBears
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2008 :  21:44:01  Show Profile Send TenBears a Private Message
Another box sorted tonight. One 1943 for my lone silver find. At least it wasn't a skunking.

Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  02:10:16  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ardent Listener

Yes, I have found 4 so far this year.. including a really nice 31-S.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Now selling Copper pennies. 1.6x plus shipping. Limited amounts available.
Go to Top of Page

wolvesdad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  08:40:11  Show Profile Send wolvesdad a Private Message
I finished sorting a $200 bank bag of nickels.
It had 2 war nickels.
NO Buffalos.
at least a roll of pre-59's.
AND A flat sided 20 Pence ( I think that is worth about 40 Cents!!)

IT was more fun that I thought it would be. I plan to do it again!

I'm bringing the rest back to the bank though. I'd rather have that $198 to buy copper cents!

"May your percentages ever increase!"
Go to Top of Page

misteroman
Administrator

USA
2565 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  10:15:26  Show Profile Send misteroman a Private Message
Man, I don't know how you guys can sort the nicks?I can sort thousands of cents at a time,but give me $20 in nicks and I'm done.
I do really like the V nicks though.Would like to get a high grade 1883 NC one day

Buying CU cents!!!! Paying 1.2 unlimited amounts wanted. Can pick up if near Ohio area.
Go to Top of Page

mickeyman
Penny Pincher Member

Canada
243 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  21:06:06  Show Profile Send mickeyman a Private Message
182 Ni (22.75%)

One local bank has finally! run out of 2008s and are back to giving out CWR.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

17 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2008 :  16:23:17  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by mickeyman

182 Ni (22.75%)

One local bank has finally! run out of 2008s and are back to giving out CWR.

That`s good news mickeyman. I finally had some luck too by being able to get two boxes this week. Are you sorting your nickels by hand right now?

Also, do you know of any branches in Canada that will accept bagged change, as I find that the hardest part of the process is re-wrapping the coins. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

mickeyman
Penny Pincher Member

Canada
243 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2008 :  20:40:48  Show Profile Send mickeyman a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by GoldMetal

That`s good news mickeyman. I finally had some luck too by being able to get two boxes this week. Are you sorting your nickels by hand right now?

Also, do you know of any branches in Canada that will accept bagged change, as I find that the hardest part of the process is re-wrapping the coins. Thanks.

I don't think I was sorting when you wrote but I'm sorting now.

13 rolls Canadian nickels
147 Ni (28.3%)
plus 1 Cr-steel (Korean war nickel)
1 - 10 centime Swiss coin
6 darn dimes (who'd expect them in a roll of nickels--five of them were pure Ni too)

Considering the junk, the percentages were even higher.

I have never tried to return bagged coins to the bank, but will ask. When they are bagged, do you usually have them trust your count, do they count them, or do they just weigh them? Pardon my ignorance.

Go to Top of Page

pencilvanian
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2209 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2008 :  16:50:26  Show Profile Send pencilvanian a Private Message
Usually I get my nickels from a change machine at work (quarters for snacks, nickels for the hoarde.)
For the first time ever I recieved a silver war nickel from the change machine.
A silver war nickel found in the wild, almost as tough as finding an indian head in your change.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 18 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2