Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Copper Penny Bullion Investing
 Would you pick up a penny off the sidewalk (floor)
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Computer Jones
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1112 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  21:30:56  Show Profile Send Computer Jones a Private Message
Not only Pennies but, bristles from street sweepers, various fasteners, any Brass or Copper looking objects and Al beverage containers.
I get lots of funny looks and an occasional, "I can tell how old you are!", from Ladies over a certain age.

There's profit if you melt things!!
8{>
Go to Top of Page

oly1oly1
Penny Sorter Member

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  22:51:56  Show Profile Send oly1oly1 a Private Message
I was thinking about this topic as I was runnin pennies through my ryedale.

I'm to embarassed to pick up a penny on the ground?

but I'll go to a bank and ask for $1,000.00 in coin from a teller.

Carry it out the door with every bank customer looking in amazement with all the coin you are packin.

Sort it, then pack another $1000.00 in loose coin in the bank and watch the vault tellers facial expressions when she sees you comin. Then ask them to run it through a counter and bag it.

Anyone willing to do this is surely not embarassed or too proud to bend over and pick up a piece of copper or zinc. Just the curiosity of whether it is copper or zinc will make you pick it up.

T.O.
Go to Top of Page

bankmining
Penny Pincher Member

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  02:08:12  Show Profile Send bankmining a Private Message
Always scanning the ground for coin along with Al cans (especially the nice pre-crushed ones in parking lots)
Go to Top of Page

Zyll
Penny Pincher Member

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  07:23:22  Show Profile Send Zyll a Private Message
Picking up off the ground has never been a source of embarrassment for me. But after reading this forum, the first and only time I raided the Take A Penny dish for coppers was sufficiently embarrassing that haven't done it again.
Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  13:27:27  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
I've especially picked them up when I've dropped a few hundred dollars worth on the floor. Hate it when that happens.

Results of this poll clearly do not indicate the actions of the general public.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

Neckro
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Saudi Arabia
2080 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  13:29:06  Show Profile  Send Neckro an AOL message  Click to see Neckro's MSN Messenger address  Send Neckro a Yahoo! Message Send Neckro a Private Message
I'd pick them up. But I'd be weary of quarters. People love to glue them to sidewalks and watch

Trolling is an art.
Go to Top of Page

Mcprice302
Penny Collector Member

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  15:24:32  Show Profile Send Mcprice302 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by thogey

I sure have notice a lot less scrap metal opportunities.

Amen to that.
Go to Top of Page

Cherokee_Bill

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  15:24:43  Show Profile Send Cherokee_Bill a Private Message
I always pick up change when I see it.I also own a few metal detectors, dig for old bottles, rocks, and crystals.

There is loads of coins and treasure for any who will just open there eyes look for it.

America is great!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

natsb88
Administrator

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  15:28:54  Show Profile Send natsb88 a Private Message
I was out back at the loading dock of the post office the other day loading and unloading flat rate boxes, when the employee that was helping pointed out a penny on the dock. She said I got paid for my help that day

Nate
The Copper Cave

Go to Top of Page

Junk Woody
Penny Collector Member

Canada
262 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  15:53:23  Show Profile Send Junk Woody a Private Message
I always pick up money when I see it on the ground.

After getting into metal detecting I've noticed that I now sweep my eyes side to side when I look at the ground while walking.
Go to Top of Page

psi
Penny Collector Member

Canada
399 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  18:45:08  Show Profile Send psi a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Neckro

I'd pick them up. But I'd be weary of quarters. People love to glue them to sidewalks and watch

I've seen that before too. I wonder if they can be removed with say a hammer and cold chisel?
With pennies I always pick one up if it looks like copper unless I'm crossing the road. Sometimes I'll check payphones or vending machine change returns for coins too.
Go to Top of Page

uthminsta
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1872 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  21:01:22  Show Profile Send uthminsta a Private Message
My best finds have been in post office lobbies. They often have postage machines which give change including dollar coins. People may drop one or more, and if it rolls under the machine, they won't kneel down there to get it. So I always give a quick look under them to see. I find stuff WAY more often than you would think. One time I got over $5 in change.

My second best place is restaurant drive-thrus. People ALWAYS drop change there. And they can't open their car door to get it, so they drive away.

Third best place is gas stations near the pumps, and on the floor at the pay counter. I guess it's just the place where people are digging in their pockets to pay for gas.

I remember seeing a webpage where someone chronicled - FOR YEARS - every coin they found, its date, where they found it, and whether it was heads or tails. If I find it I will post a link here. In my opinion, that's a little bit OCD.

Come to the new and improved realcent: http://realcent.org
Go to Top of Page

thogey
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1617 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  21:43:00  Show Profile Send thogey a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by uthminsta

My best finds have been in post office lobbies. They often have postage machines which give change including dollar coins. People may drop one or more, and if it rolls under the machine, they won't kneel down there to get it. So I always give a quick look under them to see. I find stuff WAY more often than you would think. One time I got over $5 in change.

My second best place is restaurant drive-thrus. People ALWAYS drop change there. And they can't open their car door to get it, so they drive away.

Third best place is gas stations near the pumps, and on the floor at the pay counter. I guess it's just the place where people are digging in their pockets to pay for gas.

I remember seeing a webpage where someone chronicled - FOR YEARS - every coin they found, its date, where they found it, and whether it was heads or tails. If I find it I will post a link here. In my opinion, that's a little bit OCD.

Don't forget the coinstar return port.

Come to the new and improved realcent: http://realcent.org
Go to Top of Page

CoinHunter53562
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1805 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  23:06:54  Show Profile Send CoinHunter53562 a Private Message
I probably pick them up 90% of the time. The only time I don't is if my hands are full or if I am in a hurry, or it would put me at risk of getting run over. :P

I have found a couple of wheats this way too. :)

My hobby: collecting real money 1 copper cent or nickel at a time.

Go to Top of Page

psi
Penny Collector Member

Canada
399 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2010 :  08:37:30  Show Profile Send psi a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by uthminsta

That's some pretty dedicated record keeping. In two different cities I've seen older women who appear to do rounds searching for coins in public places, checking rows of payphones or the floor in front of food court counters, which looks pretty OCD but I'm sure there are days where it really pays off.
Go to Top of Page

Pachucko
Penny Sorter Member

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2010 :  12:23:53  Show Profile Send Pachucko a Private Message
Of course I would!!
Go to Top of Page

marine70
Penny Pincher Member

USA
150 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2010 :  21:36:16  Show Profile Send marine70 a Private Message
Yes money is money.
Go to Top of Page

copperhead57
Penny Collector Member

USA
255 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2010 :  21:46:34  Show Profile Send copperhead57 a Private Message
I picked up a 1974 in AU today. It was on the floor at a convenience store.

copperhead57
Go to Top of Page

Ember
Penny Sorter Member

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2010 :  23:12:46  Show Profile Send Ember a Private Message
I don't usually pick up pennies unless they are at a gas pump or right by a vending machine or something. I always scan the coinstar area and return tray.
Now water features, such as those at amusement parks, drive me nuts. I want to jump in and gather all the coins.
Go to Top of Page

oldBPman
Penny Sorter Member

83 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2010 :  01:39:03  Show Profile Send oldBPman a Private Message
Pennies make dollars and i'll bend over for a profit.might even ask someone to move their car if i saw 2 of them under it.
Go to Top of Page

rodebaugh
Penny Collector Member

USA
377 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2010 :  10:21:35  Show Profile Send rodebaugh a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by thogey

Don't forget the coinstar return port.

lol, Spot on Thogey! I can't walk past a coinstar without looking at/in the return.

http://rodebaugh.ecrater.com/

Edited by - rodebaugh on 02/16/2010 10:22:45
Go to Top of Page

kirkland

USA
0 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2010 :  16:27:46  Show Profile Send kirkland a Private Message
The most I have ever found on the floor was three one dollar bills tucked under the customer side of the check out counter at an office supply store. My normal reaction would be to give it back to the people who dropped it, but it looked to me as if someone purposely set the bills there or accidentally dropped it in there and figured it was not worth it to fish them out. Anyway, I walked over to the bank next door and exchanged them for six rolls of pennies!
The place to really search for dropped coin is at the gas station. I have never been inside one and not found at least one coin. Just yesterday, found a dime and three pennies, one of which was a copper 1965!

Edited by - kirkland on 02/16/2010 16:29:10
Go to Top of Page

Zyll
Penny Pincher Member

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2010 :  16:47:18  Show Profile Send Zyll a Private Message
I pick up copper and zinc...a zinc can be traded for a copper.
Go to Top of Page

Country
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3121 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2010 :  19:30:57  Show Profile Send Country a Private Message
I do it all the time. I like finding a lucky pennies on the ground.

---> Come to the new and improved realcent: http://realcent.org

The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
– Theodore Roosevelt

Edited by - Country on 03/23/2010 19:32:54
Go to Top of Page

Jason
Penny Pincher Member

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2010 :  19:43:19  Show Profile  Send Jason an AOL message Send Jason a Private Message
My wife prefers to scan the ground for $100 bills, but a penny does fine for me:)

Rule six: There is no rule six.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2