Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Copper Penny Bullion Investing
 Mis-struck Penny?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Common Cents
Penny Sorter Member

82 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2010 :  18:44:59  Show Profile Send Common Cents a Private Message
As I was sorting today, I noticed a penny that had an exceptionally wide rim. Upon closer examination, I realized that the coin was struck in a lopsided manner. One side is noticeably thinner than usual, and the other side is extra thick. It appears as though the die struck the coin at an angle. Has anyone ever encountered such a penny before? And does it sound like something that could interest a numismatist?

Thanks for any replies.

totalcount
Penny Sorter Member

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2010 :  19:09:02  Show Profile Send totalcount a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Common Cents

As I was sorting today, I noticed a penny that had an exceptionally wide rim. Upon closer examination, I realized that the coin was struck in a lopsided manner. One side is noticeably thinner than usual, and the other side is extra thick. It appears as though the die struck the coin at an angle. Has anyone ever encountered such a penny before? And does it sound like something that could interest a numismatist?

Thanks for any replies.

I see them occasionally. I don't think they are particularly rare and doubt they are numistically interesting unless the difference is extreme. That said, I usually save them when I notice them.
Go to Top of Page

highroller4321
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2648 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2010 :  19:54:20  Show Profile Send highroller4321 a Private Message
A picture would help.

Copper Penny Investing
www.portlandmint.com
Go to Top of Page

smalltimeopn
Penny Sorter Member

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2010 :  19:55:01  Show Profile Send smalltimeopn a Private Message
I see these from time to time also and keep them separate as well. I believe they are rated by percent that they are "off center". Obviously, the more off center it is, the more value as a error coin.

I'm curious to what others think about this as I have a few of these myself. Also, a pic would be nice.
Go to Top of Page

Shattered
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
523 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2010 :  20:24:25  Show Profile Send Shattered a Private Message
I've come across a few of these. I just throw them in the zinc or copper bucket.

"I need metal in my life, just like an eagle needs to fly."
-Joseph DeMaio : Die For Metal
Go to Top of Page

Computer Jones
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1112 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2010 :  08:09:29  Show Profile Send Computer Jones a Private Message
Slightly off center isn't worth much.
The strike has to be missing some features to have any value, the less features and more blank space the higher the value.
Off center strikes that still have the date are worth more.

There's profit if you melt things!!
8{>
Go to Top of Page

cpthnsolo
Penny Sorter Member

50 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2010 :  11:30:00  Show Profile Send cpthnsolo a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Computer Jones

Slightly off center isn't worth much.
The strike has to be missing some features to have any value, the less features and more blank space the higher the value.

Agreed. Just having a thicker rim on one side verses the other is more common than you realize. Of course if it's off centered enough to be missing something, anything, then it's a score.

Regardless it's always nice to find a coin that looks slightly different from the last thousand or so :D!
Go to Top of Page

Common Cents
Penny Sorter Member

82 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2010 :  11:39:56  Show Profile Send Common Cents a Private Message
Thanks for the replies. My camera isn't good enough to be able to show enough detail to assess how lopsided the coin is, so a verbal description is all I can offer. I guess it's more of a curiosity, because the images of the coin are unaffected. I'll set it aside though. No harm in that!

Happy searching everyone!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2