Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Copper Penny Bullion Investing
 You Make the Call - Copper $1 an Ounce When?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

jaceman

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2010 :  11:51:41  Show Profile  Send jaceman an AOL message  Click to see jaceman's MSN Messenger address  Send jaceman a Yahoo! Message Send jaceman a Private Message
Poll Question:
I'm new here, and rather than offer up the common, "Hi. I'm new; glad to be here." I thought we would play a game of Nostranumismatics (gold star to the first person who figures out the word I just coined... oh, another pun -- on a roll (oops, there's another one) here) so that I could better get to know you.

So, here it is...

When will we see copper hit $1 (U.S.) an ounce?

Choices:

Inside of five years
Five to ten years
Ten to fifteen years
Fifteen to twenty years
More than two decades from now
Not in the lifetime of anyone currently posting here

I'll get around to making something a little more clever later; for now, just be thankful I took the time to type something in at all.

Neckro
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Saudi Arabia
2080 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2010 :  11:55:00  Show Profile  Send Neckro an AOL message  Click to see Neckro's MSN Messenger address  Send Neckro a Yahoo! Message Send Neckro a Private Message
Copper one of the most abundant resources on the planet. Price may go up. But never reach PM rarity status.

Trolling is an art.
Go to Top of Page

twocents
Penny Collector Member

398 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2010 :  12:00:53  Show Profile Send twocents a Private Message
Although, it is already more than $1 per ounce depending on the ounce, right Nate.

Just my two cents!
Go to Top of Page

natsb88
Administrator

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2010 :  12:05:41  Show Profile Send natsb88 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by twocents

Although, it is already more than $1 per ounce depending on the ounce, right Nate.

Yup

Nate
The Copper Cave

Go to Top of Page

Mikep2020
Penny Collector Member

USA
402 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2010 :  12:06:37  Show Profile Send Mikep2020 a Private Message
Copper would have to go to $16 a pound, long way to go, but could be very quick in an inflationary enviroment.
Go to Top of Page

jaceman

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2010 :  12:07:28  Show Profile  Send jaceman an AOL message  Click to see jaceman's MSN Messenger address  Send jaceman a Yahoo! Message Send jaceman a Private Message
Seven votes so far, pretty even spread with almost half thinking none of us will ever see it. If the Nostradamus who predicted inside of five years is right, I'll pay 2.5 cents for all of your coppers now.

I'll get around to making something a little more clever later; for now, just be thankful I took the time to type something in at all.
Go to Top of Page

jaceman

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2010 :  12:08:42  Show Profile  Send jaceman an AOL message  Click to see jaceman's MSN Messenger address  Send jaceman a Yahoo! Message Send jaceman a Private Message
quote:

Lucy, you've got some splaining to do!

???

Go to Top of Page

Mikep2020
Penny Collector Member

USA
402 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2010 :  12:23:45  Show Profile Send Mikep2020 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by jaceman

quote:

???

Check out the "Copper Cave" under Nate's post, your'll find some nice 1 ounce rounds in the $5-$8 range
Go to Top of Page

copperhead57
Penny Collector Member

USA
255 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2010 :  12:24:35  Show Profile Send copperhead57 a Private Message
If hyperinflation kicks in, copper will go well beyond $1.00 per ounce.

copperhead57

Edited by - copperhead57 on 02/12/2010 12:25:06
Go to Top of Page

jaceman

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2010 :  12:36:10  Show Profile  Send jaceman an AOL message  Click to see jaceman's MSN Messenger address  Send jaceman a Yahoo! Message Send jaceman a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Mikep2020

quote:

quote:

???

Check out the "Copper Cave" under Nate's post, your'll find some nice 1 ounce rounds in the $5-$8 range

I had just done that... and I looked at E Cohen, and Metal Mint, and a couple of others. I almost swallowed my tongue!

$30 bucks for 2 pounds (1 kilo bar) of copper... oh my stars! And that may be the best deal I saw out there. I think I need to start minting copper bullion!

Edited by - jaceman on 02/12/2010 12:37:24
Go to Top of Page

beauanderos
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2408 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2010 :  13:00:54  Show Profile Send beauanderos a Private Message
I'm betting we will have hyperinflation within five years. That's also the reason I'm sorting as fast as I can.

Hoard now and hold on!

http://coppermillions.blogspot.com/
http://wherewillyoubein2012.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

natsb88
Administrator

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2010 :  13:07:03  Show Profile Send natsb88 a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Mikep2020

quote:

quote:

???

I had just done that... and I looked at E Cohen, and Metal Mint, and a couple of others. I almost swallowed my tongue!

$30 bucks for 2 pounds (1 kilo bar) of copper... oh my stars! And that may be the best deal I saw out there. I think I need to start minting copper bullion!

The Metal Mint brand is no longer made, and E Cohen has a bad reputation for lackluster communication and very slow shipping. Currently the lowest priced 1 kilo bars (2.2 pounds) are from NMS, which I'm selling for $21.95 (Realcent price is $1 less).

Nate
The Copper Cave

Go to Top of Page

Bluegill
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1964 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2010 :  13:21:04  Show Profile Send Bluegill a Private Message
Are we talking paper price (theoretical MV), real life scrap price, or what the market (investors) is willing to pay? Right now those numbers are different.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I wouldn't think art bars can really be used to judge prices. There is a lot of "art" premium factored into the price.

Go to Top of Page

jaceman

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2010 :  13:25:54  Show Profile  Send jaceman an AOL message  Click to see jaceman's MSN Messenger address  Send jaceman a Yahoo! Message Send jaceman a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by natsb88The Metal Mint brand is no longer made, and E Cohen has a bad reputation for lackluster communication and very slow shipping. Currently the lowest priced 1 kilo bars (2.2 pounds) are from NMS, which I'm selling for $21.95 (Realcent price is $1 less).

I hope that's working out well for you. I won't be giving you 21 bucks for 35 ounces of copper, but I have no problem with you asking for it if you have people who will. I say, more power to ya!

Go to Top of Page

Be Nice to BankTellers
Penny Sorter Member

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2010 :  18:57:52  Show Profile Send Be Nice to BankTellers a Private Message
And what will be the likely percentages of copper cents in circulation when that happens?

Grandpa always told me, "Back in 1964..." I listened.

Selling copper cents @ $2.50/lb. + shipping.
Go to Top of Page

dakota1955
1000+ Penny Miser Member

2212 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2010 :  20:01:32  Show Profile  Send dakota1955 a Yahoo! Message Send dakota1955 a Private Message
Jaceman
Nice to have you onboard.
Go to Top of Page

Computer Jones
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1112 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2010 :  11:24:17  Show Profile Send Computer Jones a Private Message
I'm hoping for $5 to $6 a pound before I take the big dirt nap.
Any higher than that and we're hyper-inflating (something I'd rather not go through!).

There's profit if you melt things!!
8{>
Go to Top of Page

terminal99
Penny Sorter Member

53 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2010 :  12:29:26  Show Profile Send terminal99 a Private Message
How much would a copper cent be worth if copper goes to $16 a pound?

Go to Top of Page

terminal99
Penny Sorter Member

53 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2010 :  12:32:05  Show Profile Send terminal99 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by terminal99

How much would a copper cent be worth if copper goes to $16 a pound?

I figure 10.596 cents for each copper penny.

Go to Top of Page

Common Cents
Penny Sorter Member

82 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2010 :  14:12:32  Show Profile Send Common Cents a Private Message
Welcome aboard Jaceman.

I didn't vote in the poll because there are too many variables that control copper's price to be able to accurately predict a time frame. But as others have noted, in a currency crisis, you could see the price hit the $16 lb. level really quickly. If the dollar goes into a freefall and hyperinflation kicks in, the price for copper could be in the thousands. Anybody know what a pound of copper costs in Zimbabwe these days? Another factor could be an oil crisis of any sort. If the Mideast flares up into a larger conflagration and the Straits of Hormuz get blocked, oil prices could go beyond $200 a barrel. That would have a dramatic effect on the cost of mining copper out of the ground. And the price would get further support because expensive oil spurs the building of alternative energy infrastructure, which employs copper extensively in its wiring.

I can also envision a scenario where the copper price does get bid up due to investor demand. If silver gets to the point that it's selling for a triple digit price, many investors who have long since been priced out of the gold market might start turning to copper in order to hedge against rampant inflation. Silver is currently viewed as the 'poor man's gold'. But extensive dollar devaluation might put silver out of reach for the average Joe. Copper could take over the title of the poor man's gold. Copper has been used as a monetary metal for thousands of years. If there's a widespread loss of confidence in fiat currency, copper's value could increase substantially as its role in the economy became more central.

So in a 'perfect storm' scenario, it becomes almost impossible to predict how high the price could rise. But that being said, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see copper exceed the $16/lb. level in the next few years, as I expect some pretty rough sailing for the dollar in the days ahead.
Go to Top of Page

twocents
Penny Collector Member

398 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2010 :  15:29:55  Show Profile Send twocents a Private Message
You must be logged in to see this link.

Just my two cents!
Go to Top of Page

johnbrickner
Penny Pincher Member

154 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2010 :  17:00:17  Show Profile Send johnbrickner a Private Message
Going for the gold star. Nostranumismatics = a Nostradamas prediction regarding the future of a numismatics items(s) or in numismatics in general.

"I Killed the Bank" from the tombstone of Andrew Jackson
Go to Top of Page

Country
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3121 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2010 :  19:28:17  Show Profile Send Country a Private Message
Copper will hit $1 per ounce when the $USD depreciates 80% from here. So, when do you think the $USD will take a big hit? My guess is that dollar depreciation will be a slow grind and it will take 10-15 years for copper to be $1 per ounce.

---> Come to the new and improved realcent: http://realcent.org

The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
– Theodore Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

Jason
Penny Pincher Member

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2010 :  19:52:31  Show Profile  Send Jason an AOL message Send Jason a Private Message
I have no doubt the falling US dollar will get it there eventually.

Rule six: There is no rule six.
Go to Top of Page

tunylune

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2010 :  02:52:32  Show Profile Send tunylune a Private Message
Right now Chile is expected to raise taxes on mined copper exports. They presently mine 35% of the worlds copper supply. This increase is expected to raise some 5.5 billion in much needed revenue to rebuild infrastructure demolished in the recent earthquake there. Also Our U.S. congress just appropriated several billion dollars to upgrade our power grid here in the U.S. With China's economy booming they will be spending like crazy to expand their antiquated electrical grid system. They are buying great quantities as we speak. Also India is doing the same as china. They are also Revitalizing their phone system grid. With all this happening at once we are still seeing stagnant growth in copper mining percentages. This will create a short term shortage on the market. Copper is due to see a bull run shortly. The reason it is at bargain prices today is the economy's of many countries are still contracting and the worlds big users of copper are Shifting. Hold your copper penny's I see them worth a nickle each before the end of 2012. I also see Nickles being worth a Quarter. I look to see zinc nickles appearing next year. I am buying them now and hoarding them. But if none of this happens I will have still saved money back for a rainy day and will be more self reliant because I am accumulating money. It's a great way to save and if we get lucky maybe be a little better off than if we did nothing. Just my Two Cents. Grandpa always told me that if your careful and watch your penny's your Dollars will come. Mark

When the People fear the Government there is tyranny. When the Government fears the People there is Freedom. Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

NDFARMER
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1197 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2010 :  06:43:08  Show Profile Send NDFARMER a Private Message
You make some good points Mark. If what you are saying were to come true that means I should step up my penny sorting. Welcome to the forum.

COPPER - the "poormans" precious metal!!!

SELLING - $100.00 face copper shipped to you for $189.00 machine rolled or bagged - PM me if your interested.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 3.41 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2