Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Copper Penny Bullion Investing
 Would you pick up a penny off the sidewalk (floor)
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

1945V
Penny Pincher Member

Canada
153 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  11:59:17  Show Profile Send 1945V a Private Message
Poll Question:
Would you pick up a penny off the sidewalk (floor) ?

Choices:

I would be too embrassed to be seen picking up a penny.
Only, if it was a wheat, IH or king.
Only, if it looked like copper.
Only, if no-one was around to see me.
I would pretend to tie my shoe laces and then grab it.
I don''t care who sees me, free money is free money.

Edited by - 1945V on 02/03/2010 12:01:07

thogey
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1617 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  12:21:47  Show Profile Send thogey a Private Message
I pick them up even if they're ground up so they're unrecognizable as a penny.

Come to the new and improved realcent: http://realcent.org
Go to Top of Page

rodebaugh
Penny Collector Member

USA
377 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  12:43:03  Show Profile Send rodebaugh a Private Message
I always walk with an eye pointed at the floor while in public and sometimes while at a friend's house. :)

http://rodebaugh.ecrater.com/
Go to Top of Page

Shattered
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
523 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  12:46:50  Show Profile Send Shattered a Private Message
My grandpa taught me when I was little to always scan parking lots and check around vending machines for coins.

"I need metal in my life, just like an eagle needs to fly."
-Joseph DeMaio : Die For Metal
Go to Top of Page

cecropia_moth
Penny Pincher Member

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  12:48:28  Show Profile Send cecropia_moth a Private Message
I pick up any coin I find.

Jeff
Go to Top of Page

simplicitycounts
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
535 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  12:58:44  Show Profile Send simplicitycounts a Private Message
I always pick up change. The only time I don't is if there is too much traffic (cars, people moving). I won't stop if it will cause the person behind me to run into me, or if it will make a car have to stop and wait for me. I also pick up pop cans in parking lots on the way back to my car. They fetch 1.4 cents each in Minnesota right now. If I go to Walmart it is usually good for 1-2 pennies, and 2-4 pop cans :)
Go to Top of Page

slickeast
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2533 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  13:09:58  Show Profile Send slickeast a Private Message
I pick up every coin I see, ain't no shame in my game.

You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be.......SLICK

Go to Top of Page

PennySaved
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1720 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  13:19:05  Show Profile Send PennySaved a Private Message
If I see a penny face down, I will purposely flip it face up and pick it up.

You know that saying "See a penny pick it up, all day long you'll have good luck."

I think it is bad luck to pick one up face down though. I don't know if flipping it face up is cheating though :-)

SELLING COPPER PENNIES 1.4X FACE SHIPPED......“I sincerely believe that banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies, and that the principles of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale” Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

dakota1955
1000+ Penny Miser Member

2212 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  14:00:48  Show Profile  Send dakota1955 a Yahoo! Message Send dakota1955 a Private Message
You can't tell if it's copper until you pick it up.
Go to Top of Page

PreservingThePast
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1572 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  14:20:28  Show Profile Send PreservingThePast a Private Message
Absolutely, I would pick up a coin. I believe I started a topic sometime last year, or perhaps it was a reply to an ongoing topic, where I picked up one penny and it turned out to be an error penny--one of the Wide AMs--that was worth between $1.00 and $2.00. So, you never know what you actually are getting until you pick it up. You may think it to be a mere penny and it could be worth much, much more.

Enjoy your coin searches, everyone.

Bending over to pick up coins from the floor, ground, etc.--the latest exercise craze!!!
Go to Top of Page

kirkland

USA
0 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  14:33:11  Show Profile Send kirkland a Private Message
If I see a penny, I won't hesitate to pick it up. A penny saved is a penny earned.
Go to Top of Page

beauanderos
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2408 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  15:35:44  Show Profile Send beauanderos a Private Message
It's really silly, but when I go for walks I'll pick up anywhere from five to thirty cents usually and I'm thinking "woohoo!" If you stopped to consider how much you would make if you had to bend over everytime to pick up individual pennies one at a time as fast as you could, it wouldn't even be minimum wage, but you'd probably lose some weight (before your back went out). There's just something about getting something for free that seems irresistible. I can't believe that some people will go into a parking lot and clean out their ashtrays and dump a dollar or more in pennies there... and other people are too lazy to pick them up

Hoard now and hold on!

http://coppermillions.blogspot.com/
http://wherewillyoubein2012.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

No82s
Penny Pincher Member

USA
198 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  16:28:20  Show Profile Send No82s a Private Message
Always pick it up. Drives my wife crazy :)

The difference between an optimist and a pessimist is that the pessimist is better informed.
Go to Top of Page

starstruck

6 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  17:00:14  Show Profile Send starstruck a Private Message
It's bad enough I dig them out of the ground grabbing them off the sidewalk piece of cake
Go to Top of Page

Ryedale
Administrator

USA
523 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  17:04:09  Show Profile Send Ryedale a Private Message
I was at a gas station the other day filling up. Saw a penny in the briny slush (nasty) at my feet while pumping. Grabbed a towel from the dispenser and grabbed it with the paper towel (towel was probably more costly than a penny)while picking it up I saw another one.(2 for one bend) I figure too, if i get a zinc, I can always trade up later for a copper. Both were copper in this case....very rare. So... a single bend yielded 2 coppers, worth 4+ cents in metal. not bad.

Love the poll results. 97+%

Andy

Ryedale

GET YOUR DRI-SLIDE FROM IRONBRAID
http://www.ironbraid.com/driside.html

Used with permission from Ironbraid.

"The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right place, but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the most tempting moment."
— Dorothy Neville-Rolfe
Go to Top of Page

bman
Penny Collector Member

USA
425 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  17:12:48  Show Profile Send bman a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by No82s

Always pick it up. Drives my wife crazy :)

Mine too

check out my coins for sale on ecrater : http://bmanscoinsforsale.ecrater.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ruby

2 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  17:15:54  Show Profile  Send Ruby an AOL message Send Ruby a Private Message
I would pick it up no matter what, what ever is free has to be good(Some times).
Go to Top of Page

highroller4321
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2648 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  17:52:46  Show Profile Send highroller4321 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ryedale

I was at a gas station the other day filling up. Saw a penny in the briny slush (nasty) at my feet while pumping. Grabbed a towel from the dispenser and grabbed it with the paper towel (towel was probably more costly than a penny)while picking it up I saw another one.(2 for one bend) I figure too, if i get a zinc, I can always trade up later for a copper. Both were copper in this case....very rare. So... a single bend yielded 2 coppers, worth 4+ cents in metal. not bad.

Love the poll results. 97+%

Andy

Should we tell the story about how you almost ran that girl over at the 1st realcent get together becaue you saw a penny on the ground?

Copper Penny Investing
www.portlandmint.com
Go to Top of Page

beauanderos
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2408 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  19:01:39  Show Profile Send beauanderos a Private Message
welcome newbies

Hoard now and hold on!

http://coppermillions.blogspot.com/
http://wherewillyoubein2012.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bluegill
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1964 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  19:36:47  Show Profile Send Bluegill a Private Message
Heck yes, I'll walk clear across a parking lot if I think I see the glint of sunshine on a potential coin. I also go through the garbage can next to TCF's coin counters (always find Canadian and bent coins in there) and check the reject tray.

I check change trays on vending machines. When ever I pass a CoinStar machine, I give it an inspection along with the adjacent floor. Back in the day when there were pay phones, I always checked those too.

I don't care who is watching anymore...

Go to Top of Page

Mcprice302
Penny Collector Member

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  20:08:20  Show Profile Send Mcprice302 a Private Message
Yes, as long as it's not covered in dog urine or something. If you wouldn't take free money, this probably isn't the place for you.
Go to Top of Page

smalltimeopn
Penny Sorter Member

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  20:19:47  Show Profile Send smalltimeopn a Private Message
Yesterday, I picked up a nickel at a quick stop in the morning and a penny (zinc) in a parking lot in the afternoon. I was shut out today. I'm certainly watching!

Has anyone else noticed this, there does not seem to be as many coins on the ground these days. Could it be from the bad economy?
Go to Top of Page

kirkland

USA
0 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  20:27:55  Show Profile Send kirkland a Private Message
Yes, I've noticed that too, smalltimeopn. I'm really not sure why, but I figure it's the economy and people are pinching their pennies.
Go to Top of Page

thogey
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1617 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  20:29:02  Show Profile Send thogey a Private Message
I sure have notice a lot less scrap metal opportunities.

Come to the new and improved realcent: http://realcent.org
Go to Top of Page

zerocd
Penny Hoarding Member

555 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  20:41:27  Show Profile Send zerocd a Private Message
damn skippy!
Go to Top of Page

copperhead57
Penny Collector Member

USA
255 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  20:47:17  Show Profile Send copperhead57 a Private Message
I always pick them up.

copperhead57
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2