Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Copper Penny Bullion Investing
 Sorting Percentages IV & buying reports.
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Hirbonzig
Penny Collector Member

USA
451 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2007 :  06:08:36  Show Profile Send Hirbonzig a Private Message
Hi, I am new to this site and have tried searching $50 in nickels and $20 in pennies. I found a 1977 canadian nickel and 159 pre 1982 pennies and 27 1982 pennies. When I took the coins back to the bank, I got the same teller that I got them from the day before and she seemed "grumpy" that I was giving back all the coins that I just picked up. Are there some banks that will not give out or take back coins in short time span? Has anybody here run into a problem with banks in this regard?
Go to Top of Page

horgad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1641 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2007 :  07:33:25  Show Profile Send horgad a Private Message
I use two banks and a credit union. At the banks, I place weekly orders to pick-up boxes of coins. At the credit union, I use their free self-serve coin counter to return the coins that I don't want.

As for the tellers, they still get grumpy sometimes. Let's face it you are not going to find many of them that enjoy hauling around 100's of pounds of coins.

For example, at the credit union the other day I returned $600 in pennies. The lady helping me was not exactly happy after she had to clean, unjamb, empty, etc. the coin counter about a dozen times. Not to mention having to haul 12 $50 bags over the bank counter and to the vault.

In any case, I would recommend finding a bank prefarably with free coin counting to do your returns at and then never order pennies from there. It gives the tellers the illusion that they are not chasing thier own tails. That way they can at least hope when they see you that someday you will run out of pennies :)

Edited by - horgad on 06/28/2007 15:02:36
Go to Top of Page

Crash
Penny Pincher Member

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2007 :  08:30:06  Show Profile Send Crash a Private Message
Welcome, Hirbonzig. I, like Horgad, use several branches of a credit union that I am a member of and a bank that I'm not a member of that doesn't hassle me. I use one of the credit union branches as a "dump" bank where I return all of my zinc cents. I never pick up coins from that branch because I don't want to risk picking up any of my previously returned zinc coins. If it is possible for you, try finding a banking institution with a free coin-counter, like Horgad. I'm not that lucky, I have to reroll mine unless I want to pay a fee to use the coin counter, which I am not willing to do.
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2007 :  11:39:10  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Hirbonzig

Hi, I am new to this site and have tried searching $50 in nickels and $20 in pennies. I found a 1977 canadian nickel and 159 pre 1982 pennies and 27 1982 pennies. When I took the coins back to the bank, I got the same teller that I got them from the day before and she seemed "grumpy" that I was giving back all the coins that I just picked up. Are there some banks that will not give out or take back coins in short time span? Has anybody here run into a problem with banks in this regard?

Welcome to the board Hirbonzig. I guess that teller doesn't understand the concept of customer service. If it weren't for folks like us that have to go to the counter to get and deposit coins (try as I might, I still haven't been able to get those rolls and bags through the slot at the ATM machine) that teller's hours would be cut back or they would be out of a job. Sometimes they get grumpy, but don't worry.. they know they are on camara so there is small likelyhood that they will leap across the counter and start choking you just because you want to exchange a few coins. Who knows, maybe 6 other guys from this board stopped by her bank earlier that morning and she was feeling overworked that day. Like others on this board, I use several banking institutions to get and dispose of my coins. Best case scenario is if you can find a credit union with a free coin counter to turn your coins in. I haven't found that yet, but one of my banks allows me to turn them in by the bag, and they provide free bags, so they get all my disposal action now. I have a high speed counter that counts about 2000 coins a minute so it doesn't take long to load up several bags. This is easier than rolling them, even though I have a couple of Glory automatic rolling machines for when I need to do that. Most of the banks I get large orders from I have a special deal with.. they will get me all the pennies and nickels I want as long as I promise not to return them to their branch. I worried like some of the others about getting my own zinc coins back if I used this branch as a source bank too, but they are a large commercial bank so my contribution just gets thrown in the mix at their central processing facility and rerolled. The boxes I get from them have contained about the same copper % as boxes obtained from other banks.

"Preserving coinage.. 2 tons at a time"

HoardCode0.1:M48/14USCA:US1Cu639700:US5Ni2400:CA5Ni46
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

21 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2007 :  18:40:06  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
I tell the teller I have a disabled brother who sorts the coins. It's a complete lie but oh well................................

They cant wait to count them when they think they are helpingout someone. Feel free to try it.
Go to Top of Page

ME CO
Penny Pincher Member

USA
199 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2007 :  19:11:36  Show Profile Send ME CO a Private Message
Well I got skunked today. I was told to call ahead and make sure they had two boxes of pennies sos I wouldn't waste gas- so I did- "yep we got two boxes of pennies for ya", then when I get there sorry we don't have any boxes. I had really wanted $200 in halves but they told me on the phone that was a no go. I asked the lady when they would have the pennies- she said when I bring some back. Since I've got 4 boxes in the last two weeks I guess I stretched their penny budget. This is a big bank with at least a half dozen branches in my city but they all know me as the a$$hole who buys bricks of pennies. Our family business has our checking through this bank and they just keep really upset me to the point of seeing yellowing me off, this is just another strike. So left there and went to the next bank, no account=no pennies. Guess I will have to ration out my last half box haha.
Guess I my have to hit every bank and go in "10 rolls please"- what a pain in the a$$ that would be. All I want is two boxes a week- who do you talk to at the bank to get a deal like that?
Actually I probly do better picking up copper around my jobsites but there is something fun about buying something for a penny and its worth two- interesting diversion after a stressful day.
Sorting percentages- Box #3, 452 copper 10 of which are wheeties. Box #4 so far 387 copper with 5 wheeties out of 35 rolls- probly finish that box tonight and be jonesin tomarrow haha. I plan to take the zincs to moms credit union under $50 at a time and run them through the counter (over $50 is X's 2%) and just deposit them- I am lagging on my returning already though.
Happy hoarding, Mark
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

21 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2007 :  20:19:40  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
"Wells Fargo" never asks any questions for me!
Go to Top of Page

mickeyman
Penny Pincher Member

Canada
243 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2007 :  20:33:38  Show Profile Send mickeyman a Private Message
14 rolls of nickels at a Toronto bank

Short-changed one nickel (but got one pre-1982 in change).

124 nickel (26.7%)
290 cupronickel (including an entire roll of 40 US nickels)

Count was really good, considering the roll of US nickels (at least they were easy to sort)

Not all who wander are lost.
Go to Top of Page

ME CO
Penny Pincher Member

USA
199 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2007 :  21:54:44  Show Profile Send ME CO a Private Message
My experience with Wells Fargo has nothing to do with pennies but I did some work on a ladies house and she wrote me a check for $300- when I went to her bank (Wells Fargo) to cash it my drivers lisence wasn't good enough ID (need 2) since I have no credit cards I had to go to my truck and bring in the registration (don't ask me how that proves who I am) and stand in line again to finally get it cashed. I went to the Bank of the Broadmoor today to cash a $200 check halfway expecting the same treatment- they were so nice in there I almost put the $$$ in there to open an acct. Wish I could get an acct somewhere, but afraid Sam would find it and get it. I been cash and carry for a long time.

Anyways got box #4 done and came up with 541 coppers, 9 of which are wheeties.

This weekend I will hitup my aunts boyfriend and see ifn he's ready to cash in his change bucket, at least I can make more room in it for him by buying the nickels and pennies haha.
Later, Mark
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2007 :  02:34:16  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ME CO

All I want is two boxes a week- who do you talk to at the bank to get a deal like that?

Mark, that doesn't seem like you are asking for too much. Try getting 40 boxes a week.. now there is a challenge. I have found the best way to get pennies from the banks is to find out who at the bank is in charge of ordering coin. Be really nice to that person. Tell them you are a collector and like going through coins. Ask when they order and tell them you would like to get a regular order of a couple of boxes every time they order. Pick them up on the day they get delivered to the bank so they don't have to store them in the vault and so they won't give them to someone else. Promise not to bring them back to that branch if they don't really want them back. Thank the person for getting them for you. It helps if you have an account at the bank. I have several accounts with $10 each in them. Another trick I like is to take in a deposit for your company or family business. Stand in the merchant teller line and make the deposit.. then say, oh yeah, I need to pick up a couple of boxes of pennies. They will almost always sell them to you if they think you are somehow associated with one of their merchant accounts.

You might also inquire at that credit union if they will sell you all their pennies they take in with the counter in bulk. They are generally friendlier at CU's and they would probably be very happy not to have to ship all those pennies out.

Sorting Report for today:
Did some serious sorting today.
100 rolls customer wrapped pennies that I picked up earlier this week when one of my banks called me because they did not want to ship them.
4820 Copper
22 Wheats
96.4%!!!

To quote my favorite animated corpulant 3rd grader.. "Swweeeeeeet!!"

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

132 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2007 :  04:32:46  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
20 Rolls

321 Copper
1 Wheat

"To the uninformed, pocket change.
To the informed, an investment."
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2007 :  10:56:25  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by pre-82

20 Rolls

321 Copper
1 Wheat

"To the uninformed, pocket change.
To the informed, an investment."

Good percentage.. 32.1% but I think I got you this time with my 96.4%

Go to Top of Page

ME CO
Penny Pincher Member

USA
199 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2007 :  12:08:35  Show Profile Send ME CO a Private Message
Just went by the CU to unload just under $50 (so no fee) in zinc and the self counter is out of order- this is not my week first the bank cuts me off and now I can't unload. Did I mention I'm going into withdrawals haha. Hopefully things will look up soon. Will see ifn I can find time Monday to go in and strike a deal with the coin orderer at the bank but ifn I can't unload my budget will be loaded with zinc too fast. Also the main Bank where I was told to try for the .50 rolls is not open Saturday- dreamt last night I got $200 worth and they were all silver then I woke up haha. Mark
Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2007 :  17:29:18  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
Let's start a new thread again. :)

Fanaticism is doubling one's efforts, yet forgetting one's purpose.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2