Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins
 Jefferson nickel collectible years
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gothboi30
Penny Collector Member

USA
286 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2009 :  20:30:08  Show Profile Send gothboi30 a Private Message
Hi everyone. I'm currently saving all Jefferson nickels dated 1963 and earlier. I've noticed lately that many people only save those nickels dated before 1960. Am I wasting my time saving ones from the early '60's? Should I switch to only saving those with mint years prior to 1960?

fb101
Administrator

USA
2856 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2009 :  21:00:34  Show Profile Send fb101 a Private Message
I do before 1960 only, mostly because I don't want to tie up excessive funds in nickels.
I don't have a lot of hope for future value of nickels numismatically except the keys (which I can't find)

Go to Top of Page

Corsair
Penny Hoarding Member

811 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2009 :  23:57:07  Show Profile  Send Corsair a Yahoo! Message Send Corsair a Private Message
I do two boxes a week, and save anything '58 and before. I don't have that many, but like FB101, my hopes aren't too high. I would love to see them become the next Wheat penny, with their value being around 4X face.

So long, Realcent 1. Come visit us at Realcent.org!
Go to Top of Page

jacer333
Penny Pincher Member

USA
119 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2009 :  00:43:27  Show Profile Send jacer333 a Private Message
I keep all nickels I find, but have stopped getting them from banks for now as I concentrate on pennies. However, of the hoard I have, I search and set aside the same years that you do. I also pull the sparse S mint nickels floating around.
Go to Top of Page

theo
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
588 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2009 :  20:03:38  Show Profile Send theo a Private Message
I keep them all as well; however I separate any pre-1964s.
Go to Top of Page

Computer Jones
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1112 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2009 :  22:58:46  Show Profile Send Computer Jones a Private Message
I keep all Nickels I get in my change, occasionally I'll buy a CWR or two.
I keep the 35% Silver in my safe deposit box rolled, with my old Buffs rolled.
I keep the pre-60s in 1/2 gallon milk containers.
I roll the 95 Buffs separate and mark the rolls "New Buff", I roll the others and keep all the rolls in Nickle boxes I get used from the bank.

There's profit if you melt things!!
8{>
Go to Top of Page

daviscfad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1664 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2009 :  23:10:58  Show Profile Send daviscfad a Private Message
i keep all nickels from change but I dont buy them often in boxes b.c i want to keep them instead of rolling them up and it ties up a lot of capital

Inquiring minds want to know
Go to Top of Page

vrbsroma
Penny Collector Member

394 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2009 :  10:15:51  Show Profile Send vrbsroma a Private Message
I stopped saving anything but war nickels and buffaloes. I'd rather have more copper cents.

As far as I know, it is stated "In God We Trust" on the US dollar. How can I trust this currency if I do not believe in God?

Possession is nine-tenths of the law.

When I give my two cents, they're always copper!
Go to Top of Page

jonflyfish
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
693 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2009 :  10:58:30  Show Profile  Send jonflyfish a Yahoo! Message Send jonflyfish a Private Message
Big fan of pre- 1960's myself. Found key dates etc. Not many people currently collect these at the moment. Finding approx 1-2 pre-1960 S mint nickels per 2000(box). Slightly fewer War's and buffalos yielded. The same count for pennies would yield several x more wheats. Far fewer nickels minted than pennies etc.
I think the pre 1960 love will happen when the mint switches to scrap slugs- then it will be too late to hunt the remaining treasures. Finding old S mints, war nickels, and buffalos is a lot of fun. Before you know it, people will be saying "Found a pre- Obama administration nickel the other day!"
Go to Top of Page

cwgii
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
924 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2009 :  14:38:23  Show Profile Send cwgii a Private Message
due to moving at the end of the month...... i would like to sell off my nicks.

i do not have a count on them. sort to year and mm,

also have saved out some 2005 buffs.

annnnnnnny one have interest in the 60-63 , or 65-70 ??????
does anyone know how hard it is to find a 1960-p ,,,,,very hard indeed. i might have 20 after 4k sorted by hand.
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2009 :  23:35:45  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
I save all Pre-60 nickels also. Tonight I found a 39-D as I was sorting through a massive amount of CWR I picked up this week. That is one of the hardest dates to find in the wild. Of course I got all excited and accidently dropped it in the reject bucket.. then had to dig it out.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Now selling Copper pennies. 1.6x plus shipping. Limited amounts available.
Go to Top of Page

jonflyfish
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
693 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2009 :  11:18:27  Show Profile  Send jonflyfish a Yahoo! Message Send jonflyfish a Private Message
Congrats Hoard- that's a great find!!

The first panacea for a mismanaged nation is inflation of the currency; second is war. Both bring a temporary (and false) prosperity; both bring a permanent ruin. But both are the refuge of political and economic opportunities.
Go to Top of Page

PreservingThePast
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1572 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2009 :  19:39:01  Show Profile Send PreservingThePast a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HoardCopperByTheTon

I save all Pre-60 nickels also. Tonight I found a 39-D as I was sorting through a massive amount of CWR I picked up this week. That is one of the hardest dates to find in the wild. Of course I got all excited and accidently dropped it in the reject bucket.. then had to dig it out.

Congrats on the great find! May you continue with more awesome finds.

Enjoy.
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2009 :  00:42:37  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
Thanks. I certainly didn't expect to find that one. I got even more enjoyment out of it. Tonight on the way home from work I called up my old boss and told her about it. She is a much more serious nickel sorter than I am, and that is the only one she has not been able to find in the wild.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Now selling Copper pennies. 1.6x plus shipping. Limited amounts available.
Go to Top of Page

brian0918
Penny Collector Member

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2009 :  14:31:44  Show Profile  Send brian0918 an AOL message Send brian0918 a Private Message
I'm assuming you did the kind and generous thing and sent her a photo of you holding it, with a big smile on your face, right? :D

"The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master." -- Ayn Rand

Searched: $2230 Nickels; Liberty: 1; Buffalo: 4; War: 20; 2009: 2; 2010D: 8
Go to Top of Page

PreservingThePast
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1572 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2009 :  12:54:11  Show Profile Send PreservingThePast a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HoardCopperByTheTon

Thanks. I certainly didn't expect to find that one. I got even more enjoyment out of it. Tonight on the way home from work I called up my old boss and told her about it. She is a much more serious nickel sorter than I am, and that is the only one she has not been able to find in the wild.

Good thing you said your old boss. Finding a coin like that could spell trouble if she had been your current boss.

Continued success.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2