Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Related Topics, Learning and Information
 Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About
 Beyond hoarding: What skills are you learning?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Nickelless
Administrator

USA
5580 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2009 :  19:59:37  Show Profile Send Nickelless a Private Message
It should be obvious to most of us that all the precious metals in the world can't start a fire from scratch, can't grow food and can't build a shelter. So what skills do you have or are you trying to learn that can't be bought or hoarded but that will help you survive?

Visit my new preparedness site: Preparedness.cc/SurvivalPrep.net
--Latest article: Stocking up on spices to keep food preps lively

---------------

Be prepared...and prepared to help: http://www.survivalblog.com/charity.html

Are you ready spiritually for hard times? http://www.jesusfreak.com/rapture.asp

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2009 :  06:19:17  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
May I suggest hunting/trapping skills? Good bartering skills would be helpful.

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

Nickelless
Administrator

USA
5580 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2009 :  12:23:47  Show Profile Send Nickelless a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by NotABigDeal

May I suggest hunting/trapping skills? Good bartering skills would be helpful.

Deal

Got any links on hunting or trapping?

---------------

Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2009 :  13:11:01  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
Unfortunately, I lack these important skills. I have firearms, and I am an excellent shot, but never hunted. I would but I come from a non-hunting family. I would also have to buy a hunting rifle as all mine are more geared towards self-preservation. The links would be appreciated if someone has them.

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

Lemon Thrower
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1588 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2009 :  15:09:33  Show Profile Send Lemon Thrower a Private Message
i am acquiring some firearms and learning how to shoot.

Buying:
Peace/Morgan G+ at $15.00
copper cents at 1.3X
wheat pennies at 3X

Go to Top of Page

Delawhere Jack
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1680 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2009 :  16:53:23  Show Profile Send Delawhere Jack a Private Message
I'm teaching myself to be invisible...

Seriously, gardening/farming, canning produce. I'm studying up on these skills and gathering supplies.

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

669 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2009 :  17:08:05  Show Profile Send JerrySpringer a Private Message
I posed this question before rhetorically. If things get really depression-level like, will the state go around and confiscate property? I am wondering if being out of work will subject one to tax collectors still at that point? My gut feeling is if things get grim, like high unemployment grim, the government will get more nasty about taking away whatever you have.
Go to Top of Page

Nickelless
Administrator

USA
5580 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2009 :  19:20:21  Show Profile Send Nickelless a Private Message
I know we have a number of Dave Ramsey fans on this site, so I'll offer this link on how to keep a written budget:

You must be logged in to see this link.

---------------

Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2009 :  22:27:11  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Lemon Thrower

Glad to hear that. What do you have if I might ask.

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

Kurr
1000+ Penny Miser Member

2906 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2009 :  23:01:36  Show Profile Send Kurr a Private Message
Blacksmith, bladesmith, collier, farrier, Bowmaking, Hunting, Fishing, Trapping, Plating and reverse, timber framing both lumber and raw timber, Casting, log or "rustic" furniture making with hand tools, toy making (think grandpa and older style toys), Wood carving, wildcrafting and natural or herbal "medicines", electrochemistry (for bleach making, refining, etc), Soon reloading I hope if I can get a machine and dies. I would also like to take a bench jewlers class

Oh ya and I cant fix a car very well. I have some friends showing me automobile mechanics as oppertunities presents themselves. I really think I could go 3 or 4 lifetimes and still not have time to learn all I wish to.

The silver [is] mine, and the gold [is] mine, saith the LORD of hosts. Hag 2:8 [/b]
He created it. He controls it. He gave it to us for His use. Why did we turn from sound scriptural currency that PROTECTS us?

KJV Bible w/ Strong's Concordance: http://www.blueletterbible.org/
The book of The Hundreds: http://www.land.netonecom.net/tlp/ref/boh/bookOfTheHundreds_v4.1.pdf
The Two Republics: http://www.whitehorsemedia.com/docs/THE_TWO_REPUBLICS.pdf
Good reading: http://ecclesia.org/truth/government.html

A number of people are educated beyond, sometimes way beyond, their intelligence. - Tenbears

Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2009 :  09:33:19  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kurr

Blacksmith, bladesmith, collier, farrier, Bowmaking, Hunting, Fishing, Trapping, Plating and reverse, timber framing both lumber and raw timber, Casting, log or "rustic" furniture making with hand tools, toy making (think grandpa and older style toys), Wood carving, wildcrafting and natural or herbal "medicines", electrochemistry (for bleach making, refining, etc), Soon reloading I hope if I can get a machine and dies. I would also like to take a bench jewlers class

Oh ya and I cant fix a car very well. I have some friends showing me automobile mechanics as oppertunities presents themselves. I really think I could go 3 or 4 lifetimes and still not have time to learn all I wish to.

Wide variety of very helpful skills. I REALLY would like to meet a local reloader and learn how to reload....

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

Kurr
1000+ Penny Miser Member

2906 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2009 :  14:46:43  Show Profile Send Kurr a Private Message
Alot of those I have picked up in the last 3 years. I wanted to carvewalking sticks for a hobby. The carving led to me needing better knives, that led me to black smithing and the bladesmithing. people liked my carving and wanted to know if I did log furniture. I said why not and learned greenwoodworking and kicked out chairs and beds for a bit. Sill have 2 people wanting cedar pole beds if I get to making them again. My first real job was on a cattle ranch in Florida when I was 13 and worked it for a couple of years as it was within walking distance of home. So I have had a bit of exposure to shoeing horses and raising beef and such. Now I reside in Indiana, great farming state.

We gather wildcraft items localy now. Yellow root goes for 24 a lb dried and 4-5 wet. Leaves are 3-4 a lb dried. Ginseng last I looked was 4-500 a lb. Black cohash, mayapple, blood root,etc etc. The metalurgy of the smithing crafts led me to a site that is for precious metal refining where I learned that the electrolosys in the plating and parting was useful for creating items like bleach and other things.

Some one that site mentioned realcent for the scrap metal forum so I looked and honestly thought ya'll to be crazy. But I got to reading and well, ya'll know me by now, lol, copper in the blood. Funny how the good lord leads us sometimes, ain't it?

By the way:

The silver [is] mine, and the gold [is] mine, saith the LORD of hosts. Hag 2:8 [/b]
He created it. He controls it. He gave it to us for His use. Why did we turn from sound scriptural currency that PROTECTS us?

The book of The Hundreds: http://www.land.netonecom.net/tlp/ref/boh/bookOfTheHundreds_v4.1.pdf

A number of people are educated beyond, sometimes way beyond, their intelligence. - Tenbears

Go to Top of Page

redneck
1000+ Penny Miser Member

1273 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2009 :  19:05:30  Show Profile Send redneck a Private Message

quote:
Wide variety of very helpful skills. I REALLY would like to meet a local reloader and learn how to reload....

Deal

Go to your local gun range and strike up a conversation with some of the guys there.I'm sure some reload and would be more than willing to teach you, it's not hard.

Besides it's a great way to meet like minded people.

>

Go to Top of Page

Lemon Thrower
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1588 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2009 :  06:48:27  Show Profile Send Lemon Thrower a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by NotABigDeal

quote:
Originally posted by Lemon Thrower

Glad to hear that. What do you have if I might ask.

Deal

.40 semiauto and a short barreled shotgun for home defense.

looking to add 2 rifles - a 22 for practice etc and something larger, preferable large enough to take down an eastern deer and any rioters. check my Hypothesis thread on the members only board.

appreciate suggestions on rifle calibers and manufacturers.

My 2009 goal is to beef the security of my house. Front entry glass door will become steel. Security lights around the perimeter. Going to stockpile plywood cut to fit my ground floor windows.

Buying:
copper cents at 1.3X
wheat pennies at 3X

Go to Top of Page

Lemon Thrower
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1588 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2009 :  06:54:38  Show Profile Send Lemon Thrower a Private Message
btw, I am swithing to 9mm because its a better caliber for my spouse, ammunition is cheaper and sligtly more available.

Buying:
copper cents at 1.3X
wheat pennies at 3X

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

105 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  19:34:03  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
How about chemistry and a black powder rifle? If you truly ever run out of ammo you could easily make your own basic powder.
Go to Top of Page

Delawhere Jack
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1680 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2009 :  17:17:40  Show Profile Send Delawhere Jack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by drs499m

How about chemistry and a black powder rifle? If you truly ever run out of ammo you could easily make your own basic powder.

Saltpeter (potasium nitrate), charcoal and sulphur. Not sure of the ratio. Just don't mix it with metal implements. My oldest brother did when he was a kid. Flashed in his face and filled the entire basement with smoke! He lost eyebrows and got some burns, but luckily no scarring.

Keep in mind that black powder and modern powders are very different beasts. NEVER use modern powders in a black powder gun unless it is specifically designed for it. You may end up unexpectedly strumming a harp....

Also, if you ever get the urge to put some scraps of zinc in a 250ml erlenmyer flask with about 100cc of hydrochloric acid, and then stick a stopper with a thistle tube in it, what ever you do, DO NOT put a lit match to the end to confirm that you are producing hydrogen gas.

Not a good idea. You'll just have to trust me.....

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

JSutter
Penny Pincher Member

214 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2009 :  09:44:00  Show Profile Send JSutter a Private Message
Here are some great great great hunting/trapping videos. Almost every video this guy has up is well worth watching. You should put a link to his YouTube up as a sticky Nickeless

Go to Top of Page

Kurr
1000+ Penny Miser Member

2906 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2009 :  12:19:31  Show Profile Send Kurr a Private Message
Welcome back man!! Good to seee ya!

Go to Top of Page

JSutter
Penny Pincher Member

214 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2009 :  12:31:49  Show Profile Send JSutter a Private Message
Thank you, it's been a long while, I've been very busy.
Go to Top of Page

silverhalide
Penny Sorter Member

92 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2009 :  10:15:31  Show Profile Send silverhalide a Private Message
Becoming multilingual as it gives you more flexibility.
Go to Top of Page

AGgressive Metal
Administrator

USA
1937 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2009 :  21:53:44  Show Profile Send AGgressive Metal a Private Message
I am about to graduate law school - maybe I should specialize in bankruptcy?

My grandpa has a farm and I really need to learn more skills from him. I have learned basic bee-keeping and a few other things, but not nearly what he has to teach me. I used to do demolition /construction and learned some basic stone-cutting. I am a dead-eye with all my weapons, so that is a plus.

And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel / For nothyng is better than lyberte / For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world.
-Caxton's edition of Aesop's Fables, 1484
Go to Top of Page

Delawhere Jack
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1680 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2009 :  22:07:10  Show Profile Send Delawhere Jack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by AGgressive Metal

I am about to graduate law school - maybe I should specialize in bankruptcy?

My grandpa has a farm and I really need to learn more skills from him. I have learned basic bee-keeping and a few other things, but not nearly what he has to teach me. I used to do demolition /construction and learned some basic stone-cutting. I am a dead-eye with all my weapons, so that is a plus.

I work for lawyers, and none of them will answer this question. Does it hurt when they remove your soul?

Not sure if they remove it in school, or after you pass the bar. Let my know, eh.

Go to Top of Page

marklarpants
Penny Sorter Member

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2009 :  20:43:33  Show Profile Send marklarpants a Private Message
I plan on making a garden this year. I'd really like to grow wheat. but i'll probably grow tomato and corn...

Lots of rabbits in my neighborhood, how do i keep them away besides leaving my dog out?
Go to Top of Page

JSutter
Penny Pincher Member

214 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2009 :  09:12:56  Show Profile Send JSutter a Private Message
I'm learning gardening and rabbit breeding, also looking at acquiring chickens. I was a butcher for 10 years so I've already learned taking the animals from cage to table.
Go to Top of Page

vrbsroma
Penny Collector Member

394 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2009 :  21:45:59  Show Profile Send vrbsroma a Private Message
I've got quite a few camping/survival books and military manuals in the basement. I've read all of them at least once, and have the information available should the need arise. Knowledge is power.

As far as I know, it is stated "In God We Trust" on the US dollar. How can I trust this currency if I do not believe in God?

Possession is nine-tenths of the law.

When I give my two cents, they're always copper!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2