Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals
 Found in foreign coin bargain box today
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CoinHunter53562
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1805 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2008 :  23:29:12  Show Profile Send CoinHunter53562 a Private Message
1882 XX reis from Portugal
1862 Dix Centimes from France
1896 Canada large cent
1913 Canada large cent
1977 Canada quarter - dont laugh yet...keep reading
1960 Canada nickel
1943 Canada victory nickel
Canadain pennies 1920, 1926 x2, 1932 x3, 1934, 1935, 1936
1960 Canadian dime (I believe this is silver but need to check)
1939 Great Britain 6 pence (also think this is silver)

I got all of these at a price of 6 for $1.00 (so $3 total) so even the common Canadian quarter is a bit of a deal...lol. The rest I am not sure about but I grabbed them since they looked cool.

My hobby: collecting real money 1 copper cent or nickel at a time.

CoinHunter53562
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1805 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2008 :  23:36:14  Show Profile Send CoinHunter53562 a Private Message
Ok just confirmed the last two have silver...

1960 Canadian dime (I believe this is silver but need to check) 0.06 oz ASW
1939 Great Britain 6 pence (also think this is silver) 0.0455 oz ASW

So not alot of silver but still a bargain at about 17 cents per coin.

Go to Top of Page

Nickelmeister
Penny Hoarding Member

Canada
588 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2008 :  09:48:39  Show Profile Send Nickelmeister a Private Message
That is a good deal. I could use a few of those 1920-30s cents for my collection!

www.WinnipegGoldBuyer.com

Standing offer for sale of quality, second-hand solid gold jewellery:

<$100 USD worth - spot +25%, plus actual shipping
$101-500 worth - spot +20%, plus actual shipping
$501-1,000 worth - spot +15%, plus actual shipping
$1,001+ worth - spot +10%, plus actual shipping
Go to Top of Page

Ant
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2008 :  10:31:07  Show Profile Send Ant a Private Message
Awesome! It never hurts to go through those bargain boxes. Some dealers just don't want to fool with foreign coins. You can pick up some nice non-bullion coins that way too. I've found that a lot of times people will bring in coins that family members have picked up while traveling or in the military service and have hung on to for years. Then one day they decide to take them to a dealer "to see if they're worth anything". Many dealers work mainly with U.S. coins and don't want to mess with world coins, so into the bargain box they go! The coins are usually VF or greater condition, because the person who picked them up wanted to bring back nice samples.

Lovely dimes, the liveliest coin, the one that really jingles. --Truman Capote

Coins are the metallic footprints of the history of nations. --William H. Woodin
Go to Top of Page

CoinHunter53562
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1805 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2008 :  23:30:18  Show Profile Send CoinHunter53562 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ant

Awesome! It never hurts to go through those bargain boxes. Some dealers just don't want to fool with foreign coins. You can pick up some nice non-bullion coins that way too. I've found that a lot of times people will bring in coins that family members have picked up while traveling or in the military service and have hung on to for years. Then one day they decide to take them to a dealer "to see if they're worth anything". Many dealers work mainly with U.S. coins and don't want to mess with world coins, so into the bargain box they go! The coins are usually VF or greater condition, because the person who picked them up wanted to bring back nice samples.

Yep I think it's worthwhile to look through the bargain bins. The dealer I frequent the most is quite busy all the time and I know that they can get sloppy at times because there is so much activity. I have found an 1899-P Morgan Dollar in their common Morgans box (roughly about a $200 coin that I paid around $16 for). I didn't know it was a good date because I bought a bunch and went through them when I got home. I was buying more as a way to diversify my 90% silver hoard.

I have also found them mixing in 40% halves with their 90% halves which means they are overpaying for them. I put them aside for the dealer and he is not happy when it happens but appreciates me getting them out of there.

Anyway, like you said it can pay to look through that stuff. I do that at coin shows too. Sometimes you'll find 90% silver coins that have an old price on them and you now get them for below melt since the dealer didnt go back and update the prices.

Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2008 :  00:12:40  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
I always check the foreign bin. Usually find small denomination silver. Nice finds.

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

CoinHunter53562
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1805 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2008 :  23:43:26  Show Profile Send CoinHunter53562 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by NotABigDeal

I always check the foreign bin. Usually find small denomination silver. Nice finds.

Deal

I will start doing this more often now that I have found silver! I knew about the Canadian dime but the six pence had some toning so I guessed it had some silver in it. I have this huge book of world coins but I cant lug that around everywhere so I guess I will have to just use my best guesses on stuff that I think may be silver. It will probably be worth it in the long run huh?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2