Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals
 Sterling Silver Silverware
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lemon Thrower
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1588 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2008 :  09:41:36  Show Profile Send Lemon Thrower a Private Message
I was thinking of buying some now off of craigs list.

Many of the ads give the weight of the items. Does anyone know what the silver content is of utensils - 100%? 90%?

Also, what sort of premium do place settings normally carry to the price of the silver itself?

I am thinking along the lines of buying my wife a present here but knowing that it has very strong appreciation potential.

Buying:
Peace/Morgan G+ at $15.00
copper cents at 1.3X
wheat pennies at 3X

moboman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2555 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2008 :  10:15:29  Show Profile Send moboman a Private Message
Unless it is a whole set or it is a nice/rare set, you can normally get it for below melt. Sterling is 925 silver.
I'm no expert just thought I'd post this, since no one else has replied.

"99% of all lawyers give the rest of them a bad name"

Go to Top of Page

horgad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1641 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2008 :  12:41:41  Show Profile Send horgad a Private Message
Some of it is tricky...especially knives. The handles may be sterling and stamped as such, but usually the blades are stainless, but I say go for it. There are some good deals out there. Just be aware that the going rate for scrap sterling is like 88% of spot.

So I would figure break-even at troy weight * spot * .925 * .88 and don't count the knives. Maybe, offer them a token amount for the knives keeping in mind that if you want to scrap you are going to have figure out how to separate the silver from the steel. From there, subtract 10% or whatever you want your profit to be.

I use to do this on E-Bay, but I have not tried lately. I would snipe maybe 25 auctions a day and win one. I got about a half bucket of sterling bought below scrap to show for it...

Edited by - horgad on 09/15/2008 12:43:33
Go to Top of Page

Lemon Thrower
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1588 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2008 :  07:52:54  Show Profile Send Lemon Thrower a Private Message
i'm interested more in terms of getting something nice that i won't be able to afford ever again.

so sterling is typically .925 pure? with that information i can figure out the premim of the offered price to the melt value.

i'm looking at gorham or something else that is nicely crafted, and looknig for a complete set. any idea on what the typical premium is for that over spot?

Buying:
copper cents at 1.3X
wheat pennies at 3X

Go to Top of Page

kavajava
Penny Collector Member

USA
490 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2008 :  02:41:33  Show Profile Send kavajava a Private Message
check out: You must be logged in to see this link. they usually have the best prices on sterling silverware. This will give you an idea of what is a good price for an actual set...

BUT--keep in mind that your current/future wife will probably have definite opinions on what she wants as "your" pattern...other married guys can chime in here, but...don't spend a lot on a set she may not like--you could hedge your bets and just buy silver bullion, with the intention of trading it in later to buy a set you "both" like...
Go to Top of Page

Lemon Thrower
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1588 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2008 :  11:17:22  Show Profile Send Lemon Thrower a Private Message
i think replacements despite their name is for brand new stuff. they have good prices for retail. you can do much better on ebay at least for sets.

Buying:
copper cents at 1.3X
wheat pennies at 3X

Go to Top of Page

Saul Mine
Penny Collector Member

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2008 :  08:48:33  Show Profile Send Saul Mine a Private Message
A sterling set of knife, two forks, and teaspoon averages 1 troy ounce per piece. That would be 1/2 oz for the knife handle, 1 oz for the salad fork, 1.8 oz for the dinner fork, and and .7 oz for the teaspoon. So you can simply count the pieces. Other spoons (5 o'clock, salt, whatever), seafood spears, swizzle sticks, don't weigh enough to count.

My refiner pays 88% of actual silver content. For sterling that would be .814 x spot. Deduct a couple dollars for your effort and shipping and you have to offer $9 to $10 an ounce if spot is $14.

A candlestick has only a very thin layer of silver on the outside. If it's a foot tall it will have just under one oz silver. The rest is an iron rod and wax or plaster. A three-hole candelabra might have as much as two ounces. And that goes for anything marked as "weighted".

A penny sorted is a penny earned!

Please use tinyurl.com to post links. Long links make posts hard to read.
Go to Top of Page

simplicitycounts
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
535 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2008 :  08:52:48  Show Profile Send simplicitycounts a Private Message
Be careful. I've seen a lot of silverware sets at yard sales and auctions that are in a Sterling Silver Box, but the items are nickel silver plate, or community plate. So the person who says they have sterling silver for sale might be trying to sell you a set of brass utensils.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

8 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2008 :  16:11:30  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
Saul, how do you find a trustworthy refiner?

"If at first you don't secede, try, try again!"
Go to Top of Page

kavajava
Penny Collector Member

USA
490 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2008 :  20:49:11  Show Profile Send kavajava a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jonas Parker

Saul references You must be logged in to see this link. in another post, and that is a name that I see over and over again as being reputable (although I have never used them myself).
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

8 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2008 :  15:24:33  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by kavajava

quote:
Originally posted by Jonas Parker

Saul references You must be logged in to see this link. in another post, and that is a name that I see over and over again as being reputable (although I have never used them myself).

Thank you!

"If at first you don't secede, try, try again!"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2