Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins
 Have not found any 2008 nickels yet
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

669 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2008 :  02:04:51  Show Profile Send JerrySpringer a Private Message
I can not remember finding any 2008 nickels yet in my sorts. Not one.

Cerulean
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2008 :  13:20:24  Show Profile Send Cerulean a Private Message
I have seen exactly one. In years past, my first nickel of the new year turns up around April, but this year I had to wait until August. '08 pennies are still rare enough to be noteworthy. I've spotted no '08 dimes yet.

Sorting Map
2010 First Finds Contest
Are you a Buffalo Hunter?
Wanna take seignorage away from the Fed? Spend *any* coins!
We cannot afford this government.
Cerulean's Standing Offer: $3/lb shipped for foreign coins
Go to Top of Page

knibloe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1066 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2008 :  14:49:21  Show Profile Send knibloe a Private Message
I got an 08 dime in change. I should have kept it, but didn't
Go to Top of Page

fb101
Administrator

USA
2856 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2008 :  16:33:03  Show Profile Send fb101 a Private Message
I found my first P nickel Saturday in a box.

Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2008 :  17:17:34  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
How many dozen mint fresh boxes of 2008 Canadian nickels and pennies would you like to buy? I'm flooded with the 2008 stuff and it is just plain useless to me. Perhaps the US Mints have not gotten around to releasing all the current year coin yet?

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

Bluegill
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1964 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2008 :  17:27:56  Show Profile Send Bluegill a Private Message
I saw my first '08 nickel a few weeks ago, it was a D. I have not seen an '08 Canadian anything yet...

Go to Top of Page

JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

669 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2008 :  19:22:12  Show Profile Send JerrySpringer a Private Message
I was alluding to the idea too that the boxes of coins we sort may have old stock in them. In other words, there may be a lag turnover time from when the 2008 show up finally. This may mean too that any bizarre patterns of skunking or the opposite, a hotstreak of wheaties, may be from coins that were sitting in at the Brinks' source for a long time. Think of it as some kind of delayed turnover. If they have only started pulling the copper from circulation by any extraordinary means, by the time it shows up as skunks in our boxes repeatedly it may then signal that all the copper has been finally recovered.
Go to Top of Page

Computer Jones
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1112 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2008 :  20:19:15  Show Profile Send Computer Jones a Private Message
I got two 2008-D dimes in change when I filled the gas tank this morning. (I paid with 50 cent pieces, I think the clerk is starting to cringe when he sees me coming. At least I'm not using boxes of zinc like some folks.)
I've seen a couple hundred 2008 P&D pennies while sorting, they just started showing up reliably last month.

There's profit if you melt things!!
8{>
Go to Top of Page

Computer Jones
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1112 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2008 :  20:25:01  Show Profile Send Computer Jones a Private Message
I forgot to add:
Only 2 2008-D nickels in chance so far this year. It does seem like they are taking a long time to show up in general circulation.
But, I got a worn '37 Indian Head in change last week!

8{>
Go to Top of Page

PennehChaos.
Penny Collector Member

USA
269 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2008 :  08:41:06  Show Profile Send PennehChaos. a Private Message
Really? I've been getting them on and off... probably a half-dozen since July. Huge, huge numbers of 2006-2007s, tho.

Considering Verizon Business service? Perhaps you'd like to consider a nice drain cleaner enema instead?
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2008 :  16:49:29  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Computer Jones

I got two 2008-D dimes in change when I filled the gas tank this morning. (I paid with 50 cent pieces, I think the clerk is starting to cringe when he sees me coming. At least I'm not using boxes of zinc like some folks.)

LOL.. Hey, some of us enjoy paying for our gas with bricks of zinc.. it's a real challenge.. especially if you have to prepay before pumping. With gas going down so much I am never going to break NotABigDeal's record. Unless I get a bigger vehicle.. LOL

I like your style paying with halves. I tried that with 5 rolls at one of my gas stations. Guy behind the counter did not want my money. He sounded like the guy that runs the Kwik-E mart in the Simpsons.. "Ve are not a bank. Take those to the bank and get real money to give us to pay for your gas." I used them to buy gas at a competing station that still accepts cold hard cash for gas.

I still haven't seen a single 08 dime or nickel. I ask for them at my banks all the time, but they never have any.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Now selling Copper pennies. 1.6x plus shipping. Limited amounts available.
Go to Top of Page

TenBears
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2008 :  19:12:38  Show Profile Send TenBears a Private Message
Just finished sorting a box that had several 08s. It has two siler war nicks too; first box in a long while to have two war nicks. Kept a nice, shiny and undinged 08 dime a couple of weeks ago. The 08s are getting out there.

"Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is not baying after what you can't have. Rich is having the time to do what you want to do. Rich is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells. Rich is not owing any money to anybody, and not spending what you haven't got." Robert Ruark

there are too wild Indians...
there are too wild Indians...
there are too wild Indians...-----still taunted

Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2008 :  23:17:17  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
I figured out how to pay for gas with zinc and steel. I put the gas on my credit card, collect my airmiles, and deposit all the dump coin directly against that credit card.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

669 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  16:40:39  Show Profile Send JerrySpringer a Private Message
Finally came across two 2008 nickels in the other night's sort. Looked at them for a brief, respectful moment, then tossed them in the dump box. I am looking 2009 nickels now, LOL.
Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2008 :  16:56:29  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
You must be logged in to see this link. The solution might be here.

Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

2 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2008 :  21:36:20  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
I would think that with Ni prices as high as they have been for some time, the Mint is making as few nickels as possible in order to minimize losses. The zinc pennies, which contain $0.005 worth of Cu, cost over $0.01 to make. Nickels contain almost $0.05 worth of Ni at present, so they must cost at least $0.06 to $0.07 to make. I'd imagine there have been orders at the Mint is issuing as little Ni as they can, hoping that Congress will soon authorize a change in the metal content of nickels.

I bet they will soon be making nickels with a higher percentage of copper, or possibly even a copper/zinc/maganese mixture like they use on the Sacagawea and Presidential dollars.

~MisesianTruth~

"Economics is not about goods and services; it is about human choice and action." - Ludwig von Mises
Go to Top of Page

JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

669 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2008 :  01:24:23  Show Profile Send JerrySpringer a Private Message
How will the vending industry react to any coin changes? Until item prices in vending machines are only in increments of 10 cents or 25 cents, there will be a need for nickels.
Go to Top of Page

Computer Jones
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1112 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2008 :  21:48:15  Show Profile Send Computer Jones a Private Message
Vending machines will be easy, just use "The Card".
They'll rent space from the "Cash Your Check (for a mere 10%)" emporiums and sell
"Coin Cards (for a mere 10%)" from the sub-emporiums.

Imagine the Italian Tag Line, "The line is beautiful with all your coins".

Remember, it's the 21st Century, we're supposed to have Flying Cars by now !

8{>
Go to Top of Page

knibloe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1066 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2008 :  07:14:10  Show Profile Send knibloe a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by legacypac

I figured out how to pay for gas with zinc and steel. I put the gas on my credit card, collect my airmiles, and deposit all the dump coin directly against that credit card.

That is exactly what I do. I also pay my morgage with rolled change.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

146 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2008 :  07:32:14  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
I haven't been keeping track - My family and I been putting all my nickels and dimes into a fundraiser jar until it gets full. I've been keeping quarters for everyday purchases, since I find them to be the lowest coin useful for everyday purchases. I've also been hoarding pennies for their purity (copper or zinc) despite my parents thinking I'm wasting my time.

I'm not a big fan of Bugs Jefferson, Daffy Washington, and the modern cartoony style of coins which seems to be taking over.

THE Red Blade
Accept No Substitutions!

Save the trees.
Use REAL Money!
Go to Top of Page

DesertTumbleweed402
Penny Pincher Member

USA
196 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2008 :  20:21:37  Show Profile Send DesertTumbleweed402 a Private Message
I've seen some, but not many.

I enjoy taking long walks off short piers.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2