Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals
 Uh, silver DID drop, right?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wagsthadog
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2008 :  21:05:33  Show Profile Send wagsthadog a Private Message
Hi all,

I'm actually happy about it, but has anyone looked to see what even generic ozs of silver are going for on ebay?

You'd think it's armageddon- ASE's are still going for well over $19 each, and generics are pushing $18.

I guess Spot Market Price on Gold and silver is just a "suggestion."

wags

Only when they CAN'T have it, ......THEN they'll want it.

I love Cents. If you get an UNC box, you win. If you get a regular circ. box, you win. If you get a zinc box, you don't lose....so you still win.

fb101
Administrator

USA
2856 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2008 :  21:48:04  Show Profile Send fb101 a Private Message
I guess many people are just used to paying that now.

Go to Top of Page

moboman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2555 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2008 :  22:24:58  Show Profile Send moboman a Private Message
What? You can buy silver/gold somewhere besides ebay?!!!

Maybe I should get some of my engelhard bars up on ebay. They seem to go well there.

"99% of all lawyers give the rest of them a bad name"

Edited by - moboman on 08/13/2008 22:25:57
Go to Top of Page

kieblera5
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
859 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2008 :  00:46:23  Show Profile  Send kieblera5 an AOL message Send kieblera5 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by moboman

Maybe I should get some of my engelhard bars up on ebay. They seem to go well there.

Guess what I'm doing tomorrow! Hopefully, I can get 10.5x at most.

Democracy is being allowed to vote for the candidate you dislike least.

Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and then beat you mercilessly with experience.

Caller number seven gets the Peace Prize!

Get coding tips, tricks, and more at: http://codingmonday.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Nickelless
Administrator

USA
5580 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2008 :  02:22:32  Show Profile Send Nickelless a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by wagsthadog

You'd think it's armageddon- ASE's are still going for well over $19 each, and generics are pushing $18.

It worries me that so many people are thinking only in terms of "designer" silver instead of just plain 90 percent junk. It's like people who spend big bucks for brand-name food and wonder why they're out of groceries halfway into the month while their neighbor who stocked up on nothing but store brands has more than enough in the pantry until payday rolls around.

Here's the way I see disaster preparation in general and buying PM in particular: Most people are looking at long-term anything as the garnish and not the main course. And they're buying into--literally--all of this marketing crap that American Eagles are somehow "better" or "preferred" over just plain junk silver, which is just plain silver, which is all anyone NEEDS in the grand scheme of things. How many people are jumping onto the silver-buying bandwagon without understand WHY they should be buying silver, not just buying it because everyone else is?

Which makes me wonder if it's possible to educate the masses in this country about WHY they should be prepared without freaking them out and having them either ignore what we're saying or totally freak out? Which is what most of us on here are concerned with in general, but where is the line between attempts at educating people versus beating our heads against the wall?

</soapbox>

quote:
Originally posted by kieblera5

quote:
Originally posted by moboman

Guess what I'm doing tomorrow! Hopefully, I can get 10.5x at most.

Just got 40 1964 Kennedy halves on eBay yesterday for exactly 10.5x.

Visit my new preparedness site: Preparedness.cc/SurvivalPrep.net
--Latest article: Stocking up on spices to keep food preps lively

---------------

Be prepared...and prepared to help: http://www.survivalblog.com/charity.html

Are you ready spiritually for hard times? http://www.jesusfreak.com/rapture.asp

Edited by - Nickelless on 08/14/2008 04:33:12
Go to Top of Page

Neckro
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Saudi Arabia
2080 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2008 :  19:17:03  Show Profile  Send Neckro an AOL message  Click to see Neckro's MSN Messenger address  Send Neckro a Yahoo! Message Send Neckro a Private Message
haha. silvers at 13.50

Trolling is an art.
Go to Top of Page

TenBears
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2008 :  19:22:30  Show Profile Send TenBears a Private Message
Look at the 24 hour silver chart on Kitco. Silver was hanging in just a little above $14 then for some reason has dropped straight south.

"Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is not baying after what you can't have. Rich is having the time to do what you want to do. Rich is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells. Rich is not owing any money to anybody, and not spending what you haven't got." Robert Ruark

there are too wild Indians...
there are too wild Indians...
there are too wild Indians...-----still taunted

Go to Top of Page

wagsthadog
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2008 :  19:25:03  Show Profile Send wagsthadog a Private Message
Hi all,

I hope silver goes to $1/oz. Then I'll buy 200,000,000,000,000,000 ounces : )

wags

I love Cents. If you get an UNC box, you win. If you get a regular circ. box, you win. If you get a zinc box, you don't lose....so you still win.
Go to Top of Page

Nickelless
Administrator

USA
5580 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2008 :  19:33:12  Show Profile Send Nickelless a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by TenBears

Look at the 24 hour silver chart on Kitco. Silver was hanging in just a little above $14 then for some reason has dropped straight south.

Thanks for the heads-up. I'm making a major purchase on Friday.

---------------

Go to Top of Page

kieblera5
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
859 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2008 :  20:30:32  Show Profile  Send kieblera5 an AOL message Send kieblera5 a Private Message
Just bought some 40 percenters 15 cents under spot. The dealer was trying to get rid of them cause no one else wants them. So I bought $100 or 200 coins for 400 bucks. All in great condition too. Some have to be at least ms 60.

Democracy is being allowed to vote for the candidate you dislike least.

Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and then beat you mercilessly with experience.

Caller number seven gets the Peace Prize!

Get coding tips, tricks, and more at: http://codingmonday.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Cody8404
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
602 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2008 :  20:35:40  Show Profile Send Cody8404 a Private Message
Just got an update from Apmex showing silver less than $12.50 oz. I think the price is dropping enough the sellers are going to stop selling before they loose too much. This is turning into a artifical low and the dealers know it.

This is time to buy, if you can.

Awake, O kings of the earth! Come ye, O, come ye, with your gold and your silver, to the help of my people, to the house of the daughters of Zion, to the help of the people of the God of this Land even Jesus Christ.
Go to Top of Page

Ant
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2008 :  20:36:23  Show Profile Send Ant a Private Message
I just placed an order at Apmex, first evah with them. *fingers crossed*

Lovely dimes, the liveliest coin, the one that really jingles. --Truman Capote

Coins are the metallic footprints of the history of nations. --William H. Woodin
Go to Top of Page

natsb88
Administrator

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2008 :  20:42:42  Show Profile Send natsb88 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ant

I think you'll be pleased. My mother just placed an order earlier this evening. I think she got the very last of the generic silver . It disappeared right after we placed her order.

Nate
The Copper Cave

Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2008 :  20:53:03  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
Silver and gold are both dropping. Has anyone else noted that the premiums over spot seem to be increasing as the price drops? I was quoted $40 over spot for 1oz gold coins yesterday. Should be really interesting to see what gold and silver are actually trading for at the coin show this weekend. What kinds of spreads are you guys seeing for silver and gold coins?

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Now selling Copper pennies. 1.6x plus shipping. Limited amounts available.
Go to Top of Page

wagsthadog
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2008 :  21:49:29  Show Profile Send wagsthadog a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HoardCopperByTheTon

Silver and gold are both dropping. Has anyone else noted that the premiums over spot seem to be increasing as the price drops? I was quoted $40 over spot for 1oz gold coins yesterday. Should be really interesting to see what gold and silver are actually trading for at the coin show this weekend. What kinds of spreads are you guys seeing for silver and gold coins?

Hi there,

I'm seeing ridiculous spreads. Everyone's trying to jump ship and cover their losses!
It's the same old story- When silver's high, everyone wants it, and people charge way over spot. When silver's low, every coin under the sun is suddenly "rare and collectible" and people charge way over spot!

The only way to make money on silver is to take a pickax and mine it yourself!!!!!

wags

Go to Top of Page

Ant
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2008 :  22:29:43  Show Profile Send Ant a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by natsb88

quote:
Originally posted by Ant

I think you'll be pleased. My mother just placed an order earlier this evening. I think she got the very last of the generic silver . It disappeared right after we placed her order.

I ordered some of the Canadian stuff (not the maple leafs). I kept expecting it to disappear while still in my cart. I was pleasantly surprised to see it was still there at checkout!

Lovely dimes, the liveliest coin, the one that really jingles. --Truman Capote

Coins are the metallic footprints of the history of nations. --William H. Woodin
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

18 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2008 :  18:40:35  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
I believe we are at the time when all metal investments will be cast into doubt. The proper thing to invest in, it seems, for at least the next thirty years anyway (as foreseen by the Department of Defense - see also, Agenda 21) with escalating riots from about 2010 onward, we need to be investing in what's needed to survive. That means water and food and the means and wit to gain these elements independently, in the face of this increasingly interdependent world.

www.cuttingthroughthematrix.com --- Clearing the rubbish from the road to reality.
Go to Top of Page

Flbandit
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2008 :  13:08:36  Show Profile Send Flbandit a Private Message
Yeah, I talked to my buddy at the Flea Market today. Being a small time dealer, all of his inventory is higher priced silver. So, he has to either sell way above spot, or wait for the price to come up. I ended up with a pretty nice Peace Dollar, terrible price from a hoard perspective, but not bad from a collector standpoint. Anyway, I feel the price will rise.

Are you throwing that out?
Go to Top of Page

kavajava
Penny Collector Member

USA
490 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2008 :  14:44:06  Show Profile Send kavajava a Private Message
Read this commentary written by Franklin Sanders: You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page

fb101
Administrator

USA
2856 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2008 :  15:04:01  Show Profile Send fb101 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by wagsthadog

Hi all,

I hope silver goes to $1/oz. Then I'll buy 200,000,000,000,000,000 ounces : )

wags

If you can afford that much silver, can I be your chief of police?

Go to Top of Page

Neckro
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Saudi Arabia
2080 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2008 :  23:14:39  Show Profile  Send Neckro an AOL message  Click to see Neckro's MSN Messenger address  Send Neckro a Yahoo! Message Send Neckro a Private Message
I don't even think there is that much money on this planet.. Let alone that many ounces..

Trolling is an art.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

25 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2008 :  08:18:19  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
You must be logged in to see this link.

Is that the best one to buy? I'm thinking about buying a 10oz bar with some extra money I have, is that the generic, cheapest, best deal bar?
Go to Top of Page

Nickelless
Administrator

USA
5580 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2008 :  08:30:17  Show Profile Send Nickelless a Private Message
Welcome to the board, Derrick. My personal advice would be to go for 90 percent junk coins instead. There's a lot less of a premium on them, plus everyone knows what they are.

When it comes to 90 percent silver coins, most people know about 90 percenters and know their silver content, whereas they might question whether the .999 bars, rounds, Eagles, etc., are in fact silver. Very few people would try to counterfeit 90 percent coins.

---------------

Edited by - Nickelless on 08/28/2008 21:57:32
Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2008 :  01:57:24  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
I was looking around and stumbled on ebay.com.my eBay malaysia. Would you believe they have an active market in silver at about $30 an ounce!!! ASE's, silver coins, bar and whatever all WAY over melt. Makes me want to set up sales before I go there next time, and just mail all the silver when I land.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2