Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals
 Question on melting copper
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

klava
Penny Pincher Member

USA
192 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2008 :  03:40:15  Show Profile  Send klava an AOL message Send klava a Private Message
I have decided instead of selling my copper at such a low price(around here prices are crap sompared to bigger places). I would like to start melting my copper and making bricks out of them. What is a good site to read about this? Where is a good place to get ingot moulds? I guess Id go with a 1lb mould. that seems reasonable. I just want soemthign that will look good and be easy to store for the long term. Is there anyone doing this? Thanks for any help!

-K

horgad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1641 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2008 :  07:33:45  Show Profile Send horgad a Private Message
Do a search for mini cupola furnace or home foundry. The basics require knowledge of high temperature insulations (refractory cement, fire bricks, etc), heat delivery systems (propane, oil, coal, etc.), risks, and safety measures. Also welding skills are a big plus but not required. I have wanted to build one for a long time, but I am plagued by too many hobbies and not enough time.

Basically what you do is build a small chimney lined with refractory cement or bricks. You but your heat source and ventilation at the bottom and a melting pot at the top and voila! Try not to burn yourself molten metal tends to "sting" a bit.

Edited by - horgad on 08/28/2008 07:37:55
Go to Top of Page

pencilvanian
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2209 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2008 :  16:59:51  Show Profile Send pencilvanian a Private Message
Lindsay sells books on the subject on foundry hooyists.

You must be logged in to see this link.

There are also books on metal casting.

I hope this information helps in some way.
Go to Top of Page

Gr33nday43

Uzbekistan
10 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2008 :  17:16:48  Show Profile  Send Gr33nday43 a Yahoo! Message Send Gr33nday43 a Private Message
Are you melting pennies?
If so I would advise against that.
You would need a flux, like borax.
The bars most likely aren't going to look pretty, wash them in muriatic acid and polish them to make them look a little better.
Backyardmetalcasting.com is a good site but isn't organinized, and isn't really a how-to site.
Go to Top of Page

klava
Penny Pincher Member

USA
192 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2008 :  23:29:12  Show Profile  Send klava an AOL message Send klava a Private Message
Not my coppers, no. I have them in rolls sitting in 50 dollar mint bags. Im hanging onto them for their future numismatic value. Im talking about wiring, pipes, etc. I just want to have a better way of storing it long term and less identifiable than the norm. Plus I think they would look cool lol. Illcheck out those sites thanks for the input.

-K
Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2008 :  01:53:38  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Gr33nday43

Are you melting pennies?
If so I would advise against that.
You would need a flux, like borax.
The bars most likely aren't going to look pretty, wash them in muriatic acid and polish them to make them look a little better.
Backyardmetalcasting.com is a good site but isn't organinized, and isn't really a how-to site.

Did your Canadian penny melting not work out as planned?

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

Kurr
1000+ Penny Miser Member

2906 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2008 :  08:56:51  Show Profile Send Kurr a Private Message
Copper has a baaaad problem about oxidizing even with a bit of flux in the mix. You almost need a vacuum arc furnace to do it properly. IMHO. Plus it might be easier to store for you, but how will your scrapyard know what purity it is?

The silver [is] mine, and the gold [is] mine, saith the LORD of hosts. Hag 2:8 [/b]
He created it. He controls it. He gave it to us for His use. Why did we turn from sound scriptural currency that PROTECTS us?

KJV Bible w/ Strong's Concordance: http://www.blueletterbible.org/
The book of The Hundreds: http://www.land.netonecom.net/tlp/ref/boh/bookOfTheHundreds_v4.1.pdf
The Two Republics: http://www.whitehorsemedia.com/docs/THE_TWO_REPUBLICS.pdf
Good reading: http://ecclesia.org/truth/government.html

A number of people are educated beyond, sometimes way beyond, their intelligence. - Tenbears

Go to Top of Page

klava
Penny Pincher Member

USA
192 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2008 :  00:29:28  Show Profile  Send klava an AOL message Send klava a Private Message
Kurr I have thought of that. They pretty much classifuy copper as number 1 or 2. After doing a bit more reading about it I dont know if i have the time and energy to fool with it. may just keep saving until I have a huge amount then haul it an hour and a half to where I will get alot better price for it. Then just invest in some bullion of some type.

-K
Go to Top of Page

JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

669 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2008 :  00:49:35  Show Profile Send JerrySpringer a Private Message
Copper is fairly soft. Maybe just crush the pipes in a vise or hit them with a mallet to reduce their volume?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2