Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins
 1950 US Nickels
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TenBears
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2008 :  22:53:35  Show Profile Send TenBears a Private Message
I decided to put together a couple of Whitman folders of nickels. I had many of every year from 1938 up until the 60s and almost every mint mark. However, I didn't have a single 1950 from any mint. What's up with that? This was surprising to me as I just hadn't noticed in all my sorting that I wasn't running across any 50s (as in plural, not 50 S).

Have any of you run across the absence of 50s in your nickel sorting? What is the story on the 50 or is it just poor luck not to have run across some 50s in my sorting?

"Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is not baying after what you can't have. Rich is having the time to do what you want to do. Rich is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells. Rich is not owing any money to anybody, and not spending what you haven't got." Robert Ruark

there are too wild Indians...
there are too wild Indians...-----still taunted

Robarons
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2008 :  02:37:24  Show Profile Send Robarons a Private Message
I have an active whiman folder that I am trying to fill in and I have no 1950's either. It seems they both have small mintages (9.6 million for 1950, 2.6 million for 1950-D). Believe that 1950-D is a key date to this collection too.

Robber Baron= Robarons
Go to Top of Page

TenBears
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2008 :  08:13:43  Show Profile Send TenBears a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Robarons

I have an active whiman folder that I am trying to fill in and I have no 1950's either. It seems they both have small mintages (9.6 million for 1950, 2.6 million for 1950-D). Believe that 1950-D is a key date to this collection too.

Even with very low mintage you would think we would still run across one every now and then. Thank you for the response.

"Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is not baying after what you can't have. Rich is having the time to do what you want to do. Rich is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells. Rich is not owing any money to anybody, and not spending what you haven't got." Robert Ruark

Go to Top of Page

WheatieFan
Penny Pincher Member

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2008 :  09:04:31  Show Profile Send WheatieFan a Private Message
1950D is a key date, probably THE key date. Yes, they are rare. Apparently, people knew they were rare in 1950, and stockpiled them. That means that now, almost 60 years later, you're more likely to find them in BU than in lower circulated grades. I think they sell for $15 or so. Probably one of the few coins I'll have to buy rather than get from roll hunting.

I don't know the history of why they minted so few. Also interested.

Other difficult to find are 1939D, 1939S, 1950P, and 1955P.

WheatieFan
Go to Top of Page

TenBears
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2008 :  10:54:44  Show Profile Send TenBears a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by WheatieFan

1950D is a key date, probably THE key date. Yes, they are rare. Apparently, people knew they were rare in 1950, and stockpiled them. That means that now, almost 60 years later, you're more likely to find them in BU than in lower circulated grades. I think they sell for $15 or so. Probably one of the few coins I'll have to buy rather than get from roll hunting.

WheatieFan

I have all of the 39s and 55s simply from roll hunting. Obviously, I am missing both of the 50s. I hate to buy the 50s because part of the fun was seeing what I could assemble from my hand sorting.

Go to Top of Page

swusc
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  17:07:17  Show Profile Send swusc a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by TenBears

quote:
Originally posted by WheatieFan

WheatieFan

I have all of the 39s and 55s simply from roll hunting. Obviously, I am missing both of the 50s. I hate to buy the 50s because part of the fun was seeing what I could assemble from my hand sorting.

You can do it. A guy on treasure net has done two sets i think. He said it takes like $75K in nickels searched to do it though.

-SWUSC

`Everybody is ignorant. Only on different subjects.' Will Rogers

"This is the shabby secret of the welfare statists' tirades against gold. Deficit spending is simply a scheme for the "hidden" confiscation of wealth. Gold stands in the way of this insidious process. It stands as a protector of property rights. If one grasps this, one has no difficulty in understanding the statists' antagonism toward the gold standard." Alan Greenspan, 1966.
Go to Top of Page

aboxaweek
Penny Collector Member

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  21:02:56  Show Profile Send aboxaweek a Private Message
that is one of the only ones i need, 67' was a hard one, but in the next week i found 3 in change, seems strange

*HUCKABEE*
___08'____
Go to Top of Page

TenBears
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  21:35:06  Show Profile Send TenBears a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by aboxaweek

that is one of the only ones i need, 67' was a hard one, but in the next week i found 3 in change, seems strange

It's fun to do it without buying any, but you end up with many lower quality coins. My war nickels are all very worn and would grade only good to vg. I think that may be why they got through the net so to speak. They were worn and dirty and not recognized for what they are.

Go to Top of Page

Bluegill
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1964 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  21:50:52  Show Profile Send Bluegill a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by TenBears

quote:
Originally posted by aboxaweek

It's fun to do it without buying any, but you end up with many lower quality coins. My war nickels are all very worn and would grade only good to vg. I think that may be why they got through the net so to speak. They were worn and dirty and not recognized for what they are.

I have 2 that were so worn the mint mark was gone and Monticello had no columns. I almost threw them in the return pile, but something possessed me to flip it over and double check the date.

I do not have the 1950 specimens either.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

23 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  22:34:41  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
As a kid growing up in the '60's in the U.S., collecting nickels and pennies was the real fun because unlike the dimes & quarters you had a decent chance of finding nearly any date or mint mark circulating (excluding the key dates, of course) and completing the bulk of the Whitman folders from pocket change alone. I wonder how feasible that is with nickels today?
Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2008 :  00:10:15  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ceddy2

As a kid growing up in the '60's in the U.S., collecting nickels and pennies was the real fun because unlike the dimes & quarters you had a decent chance of finding nearly any date or mint mark circulating (excluding the key dates, of course) and completing the bulk of the Whitman folders from pocket change alone. I wonder how feasible that is with nickels today?

I'd say impossible from pocket change, but if you are willing to buy and sort boxes you can definately find pretty much every nickel. Silver war nickels at average 1 per $100 are a nice bonus.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

669 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2008 :  08:05:42  Show Profile Send JerrySpringer a Private Message
I sorted two boxes last night. After I woke up this morning and looked over some of my finds, I realized I found a 1950 nickel. Too tired last night to recognize the date as rarer. Also pulled 2 war nickels and a worn-date buffalo nickel. I am setting aside 1971 nickels by the way. They apparently have a higher red book pricing than other common post 1950's nickels. If I am going to have a nickel metal collection at some point, perhaps the 1971 coins will not be set aside in vain eventually, hmmmm?
Go to Top of Page

fb101
Administrator

USA
2856 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2008 :  17:18:08  Show Profile Send fb101 a Private Message
I've noticed a serious scarcity of all the 1950 and 1951 nickels. This weekend, I found my first 1950-P nickel along with one dateless buffalo and a 43-S war nickel.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2