Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins
 World's oldest unchanged coin?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cerulean
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  13:20:23  Show Profile Send Cerulean a Private Message
The US 5cent coin was introducted in 1866. Since then, it has had the same diameter, weight, and composition for over 140 years, with the sole exception of the WWII 35% silver nickels issued 1942-1945.

Barring design changes, is that a Continuity World Record for a currently issued coin?

Our zinc cent only goes back to 1982, and our dimes and quarters only to 1965. Although they are still common, Canada killed their long-running copper cent in 1997, and their nickel nickel in 2000 with the steel changeover. in 1982 with the switch to copper-nickel.

I investigated other world coins. Denmark's 5 kroner debuted in 1960. Japan's 5 yen coin is from 1949. The Swiss 20 cent coin has been unchanged since 1939, and their 10 cent coin goes back to 1879 (with brief interruption during the 1930s). In fact, from my research, there are few places in the world besides the US, Canada, and Switzerland where one can expect to find local coins from the first half of the 20th Century still circulating.

The US nickel, world's oldest coin still in use?

Edited by - Cerulean on 08/07/2008 14:39:38

Cerulean
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  13:28:44  Show Profile Send Cerulean a Private Message
Relatedly, does the US half dollar hold the current record for largest diameter still in circulation (not including commemoratives, bullion coins, or private issues)?

Sorting Map
2010 First Finds Contest
Are you a Buffalo Hunter?
Wanna take seignorage away from the Fed? Spend *any* coins!
We cannot afford this government.
Cerulean's Standing Offer: $3/lb shipped for foreign coins
Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  13:51:28  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
I can't answer your question, but will comment that the Canadian Nickel debuted in its present size in the early 1920's and went through multiple changes in composition (steel war nicks twice), switchto CuNi in 1982, and then to Plated phasing in from 2000. So it is not nearly as stable a coin as the US version.

I would think the large Ike dollars still circulate to a point, and they are bigger then the 1/2s.

US 1/2 dollar is Mass: 11.340 g Diameter: 30.61 mm Thickness: 2.15 mm
The Canadian toonie is smaller then the US 1/2 at 7.3 g Diameter: 28 mm Thickness: 1.8 mm

However, to be technical, US 1/2s are no longer issued for circulation, though there are enough out there to last forever at the rate they are used by the public.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

Cerulean
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  14:37:13  Show Profile Send Cerulean a Private Message
The US half is still being minted as part of the US coinage canon, so it counts to me. The Ike dollar has been replaced, so it is no longer issued for circulation. It's dead, even if the corpse gets shuffled around a bit.

Sorting Map
2010 First Finds Contest

Edited by - Cerulean on 08/07/2008 14:41:19
Go to Top of Page

tmaring
Penny Collector Member

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  15:24:47  Show Profile Send tmaring a Private Message
I would think the Austrian Maria Theresa silver thaler would have to take the record in that contest.... minted almost continuously since 1780 with a design almost unchanged... and still available fresh from the mint.

Tom Maringer
Shire Post Mint
Springdale, Arkansas
Go to Top of Page

Cerulean
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  17:12:24  Show Profile Send Cerulean a Private Message
The Maria Theresia Taler was official currency in Austria until October 31, 1858. It is now relegated to bullion status. Still, that's a respectable amount of design continuity (but I wish they kept updating the date).

Sorting Map
2010 First Finds Contest

Edited by - Cerulean on 08/07/2008 17:13:08
Go to Top of Page

WheatieFan
Penny Pincher Member

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  17:37:46  Show Profile Send WheatieFan a Private Message
I personally don't count the US half as for general circulation anymore. Sure, you can get a handful, but for the last 5+ years, the only ones minted have been for collectors. Even the mint recognizes that they are Not Intended For Circulation.

It's kind of surprising to think of the instability of the world's countries, and thereby their coins. America is a relatively young country, but I've read that the american constitution is the oldest still in effect.

I bet the longest circulating coin, if not the US nickel, would be made from a cheap metal, such as zinc, steel, or aluminum. Also from a country that was not seriously affected by WWII or the cold war.

WheatieFan

Go to Top of Page

daviscfad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1664 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  22:22:53  Show Profile Send daviscfad a Private Message
I did not realize this. Great info

Inquiring minds want to know
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2008 :  11:39:10  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
While I like the Maria Theresa thaler I would have to say it does not circulate. The bullion value is too high compared to the face value. While we may still occasionally get a silver dime, quarter or half in circulation, I doubt some Austrian guy is going to get a Maria Theresa in circulation. The Maria Theresa thaler certainly is the oldest unchanged coin though.. they don't even change the design or date.

I vote for the Ike. Even though it has not been produced since 78, it is still in circulation. Heck, I put some in circulation myself occasionally.

Now if you want really large diameter coins you would have to consider the stone money of Yap.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Now selling Copper pennies. 1.6x plus shipping. Limited amounts available.
Go to Top of Page

tmaring
Penny Collector Member

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2008 :  12:56:12  Show Profile Send tmaring a Private Message
Actually... it is my understanding that the Maria Theresa thaler does still circulate in remoter parts of north Africa as a unit of exchange... which is the reason they keep minting them. Apmex has new ones at a very nice price.
Go to Top of Page

Cerulean
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  15:14:05  Show Profile Send Cerulean a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Cerulean

Relatedly, does the US half dollar hold the current record for largest diameter still in circulation (not including commemoratives, bullion coins, or private issues)?

Regardless of whether or not the US half still circulates (I think it does, since my bank has no trouble fetching me a box when I order one), there are bigger coins out there:

* United States, half dollar 1971-present, dia=30.6mm
* Cook Islands, 50 cents 1972-present, dia=31.75mm
* Australia, 50 cents 1969-present, dia=32mm
* Fiji, 50 cents 1975-present, dia=32mm
* Vanuatu, 5 vatu 1983-present, dia=33mm

And check out the now-defunct 1948 Hungarian 20 Forint... 40mm!

Sorting Map
2010 First Finds Contest
Go to Top of Page

Cody8404
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
602 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2008 :  15:12:07  Show Profile Send Cody8404 a Private Message
The U.S. Five Cent Nickel.

I would agree to support this as being the world’s oldest unchanged currently used denomination coin. I think the Nickel part is what has kept it stable for so long.

The Maria Theresa Thaller.

In my opinion would be the longest used coin in circulation, but that being said I promise you will not find one with a date any newer than 1780.

I have an article from: You must be logged in to see this link. that tells how this coin is still in use in much of the Arab World.

It might be useful to have a few when the Mohammedans become our overlords.

Awake, O kings of the earth! Come ye, O, come ye, with your gold and your silver, to the help of my people, to the house of the daughters of Zion, to the help of the people of the God of this Land even Jesus Christ.

Edited by - Cody8404 on 08/15/2008 15:24:43
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2