Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals
 can I polish coins?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

42 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2008 :  10:26:31  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
Would it be ok to polish rare coins with just a damp soft cloth, or would even just that be damaging?

Bobby Deese

Ant
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2008 :  11:56:27  Show Profile Send Ant a Private Message
The best thing to do is leave them alone. I know, it's hard. Collectors with a lot of experience do sometimes wipe down their coins, but I leave that to the pros.

Lovely dimes, the liveliest coin, the one that really jingles. --Truman Capote

Coins are the metallic footprints of the history of nations. --William H. Woodin
Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2008 :  17:10:41  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
When in doubt, leave it alone.

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

scooter
Penny Pincher Member

240 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2008 :  17:53:30  Show Profile Send scooter a Private Message
if you have hundreds possibly housands of coins, why not see what you could do cleaning one.i say go for it
Go to Top of Page

TenBears
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2008 :  18:37:53  Show Profile Send TenBears a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by fhbob

Would it be ok to polish rare coins with just a damp soft cloth, or would even just that be damaging?

Your "rare" coins should be in some sort of holder so that you can't even touch them. Polishing a rare coin, a true numismatic piece, should be out of the question.

Now, if you have some older coins with little numismatic value, that isn't in an AU or mint state condition, go polish the heck out of it. Make it all nice and shiny.

"Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is not baying after what you can't have. Rich is having the time to do what you want to do. Rich is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells. Rich is not owing any money to anybody, and not spending what you haven't got." Robert Ruark

there are too wild Indians...
there are too wild Indians...-----still taunted

Go to Top of Page

longhorn
Penny Sorter Member

80 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2008 :  19:00:14  Show Profile Send longhorn a Private Message
Would it be ok to polish rare coins

First, what do you mean by rare coins? The 1909 s vdb penny with a mintage of around 484k wouldn't be considered rare by most numistmatists, although becacause of high demand its certainly a valuable coin. Personally, I don't think I have a single coin in my collection which could actually be considered rare. So if you have a coin that is rare or even scarce please don't risk damageing it by polishing.

However, if you have common coins, and most of them are, then experiment carefully, understanding that you are much more likely to decrease a coins value than to improve it.

Obey Gresham's Law
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

42 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2008 :  21:28:39  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
Maybe the words polish and rare were out of place. I just have some morgan dollars and a few indian head pennies that I would like to clean off some of the dirt. I was going to use a microfiber cloth (the kind used to prevent scratching cars) and just some tap water, or maybe distilled. I mean they aren't really too valueable now, but when I'm going to retire in 45 years or if I pass them down to my kids they might be worth somthing.

Bobby Deese
Go to Top of Page

TenBears
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2008 :  22:29:17  Show Profile Send TenBears a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by fhbob

Maybe the words polish and rare were out of place. I just have some morgan dollars and a few indian head pennies that I would like to clean off some of the dirt. I was going to use a microfiber cloth (the kind used to prevent scratching cars) and just some tap water, or maybe distilled. I mean they aren't really too valueable now, but when I'm going to retire in 45 years or if I pass them down to my kids they might be worth somthing.

Original Coca-Cola will work wonders on that Morgan. Soak it overnight and then flip it in the morning. Wash with soap and water the next evening, and there won't be any dirt or grime left. Some of the tarnish will remain, but the coke even works on tarnish some. A vinegar and salt bath will remove all tarnish from that Indian Head in just a minute or two and will also brighten the coin. Be prepared, however, the coin will look "cleaned."

"Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is not baying after what you can't have. Rich is having the time to do what you want to do. Rich is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells. Rich is not owing any money to anybody, and not spending what you haven't got." Robert Ruark

there are too wild Indians...-----still taunted

Go to Top of Page

jpf231
Penny Collector Member

USA
340 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2008 :  11:05:45  Show Profile Send jpf231 a Private Message
I clean my junk silver with baking soda and warm water betweek the fingers rubbing in a circular motion. Shine's 'em right up.
Go to Top of Page

jpf231
Penny Collector Member

USA
340 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  19:41:32  Show Profile Send jpf231 a Private Message
Only the Polish polish - sorry couldn't resist - I'm not an anti-Polite - HAH LOL - I kill me.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2