Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals
 "Selling gold & buying silver"
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2008 :  20:04:44  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
Toby Hatchett
business@seacoastonline.com
July 24, 2008 6:00 AM
PORTSMOUTH — Port City Coin and Jewelry opened its doors on April 15. It is an easy day to remember — tax day — and as the business is about money and investments, a most appropriate day for this business' opening.

Allan Pechner, a Massachusetts native who has lived in Portsmouth since 1991, is very keen on his enterprise. He and his wife, Paweena, who is from Thailand, are very serious about their new business — and it shows.

Port City Coin & Jewelry
Owners: Allan and Paweena Pechner

Phone: 373-6185

Web: portCityCoinAndJewelry.com

Hours: Tuesday-Friday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.; Saturday-Sunday, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. (often open later on weekends or by appointment)
Allan is eager to explain and educate novices about the joy and values of collecting coins, and gold and silver.

"My grandfather introduced me to coin collecting when I was a very little boy," he said. "Every birthday and at Christmas, he would give a bunch of silver and coins and books. I read all the books."

This passion for coins, silver and gold has never abated. After school, Pechner spent time working in the automotive business, and then real estate. Now, he says he is doing what he and his wife really want to do.

Paweena adds a special touch to the store, which also sells jewelry made by Thai artisans, along with some art and specialty items.

"I like to showcase some special Thailand things, like our special Thai bags and jewelry," she said.

But the real business of Port City Coin and Jewelry is custom jewelry, made from 23-24 karat gold, sterling silver, and precious and semi-precious stones.

"We buy gold, silver and jewelry, and we take items on consignment, too," said Allan. "It's all modern."

The store sells pre-1933 gold coins, proof sets, rare coins, gold and silver bullion, coin supplies and coins from around the world.

"We offer the collector everything he or she needs," said Allan. "This means books, CDs, coin holders for special occasions like birthdays or presidential events — you name it. Everything."

Paweena is quick to point out they also carry a full line of Towle and Wallace giftware, from frames to baby spoons.

"We also carry bracelets and other items form Swarovski," said Paweena.

While Allan's interest as a result of the early influence of his grandfather, now, he says, he has a couple of great mentors in the area that he relies on and they all work together.

"It's mostly about educating people," said Allan. "Some pawn shops don't do this and people don't get a fair price or they buy a product that is not all gold or silver. We try to help them out and teach them about the qualities of real silver and gold.

"We are not a pawn shop," Allan said. "What we sell is the real thing, and we only buy real gold and silver and gems."

Allan has all the tools on hand to check the amount of real gold or silver in an item. If the tester one doesn't do the job, he relies on the older version, using acid and a stone to make sure.

"The value of coins is based on the content of silver or gold," he explained. "I think silver is undervalued now and will go up.

"Gold has risen lots in the last few years. The serious investors know this and want an option that is not based on the stock market."

Allan stated that, right now, a lot of people seem to be selling gold and buying silver.

"The bullion coin or bar is a smart way to invest now," he said.

Paweena believes Allan's attitude is an asset to their business.

"Allan just loves helping people and teaching them about investing in gold and silver," she said. "Once people know about it, they keep coming back and asking more questions."

Both Pechners agree that buying gold and silver is one of the safest ways these day to invest, and that it is fun.

"You can wear your investment, if you like," Allan said. "You don't have to hide it.

"Just think about it. In 2005, an ounce of silver was $7. Now it's $20.40 an ounce. That's an amazing return for your investment."

Paweena points out the story also carries Thai Baht, which is 23 karat gold jewelry — the real thing. As a new business in town, they are offering a special free raffle. The winner will get two tickets to the New England Patriots' opening game against the Kansas City Chiefs, and the Pechners will also donate $250 to the charity of the winner's choice.

"Everyone here in Vaughan Mall has been just great to work with as we opened," said Allan. "It's a very important little working community we have here and we're both happy to be a part of it all."
You must be logged in to see this link.

Realcent.forumco.com disclosure. Please read.
All posts either by the members, moderators, and the administration of http://realcent.forumco.com are for your edification and amusement only. It is not the intent of realcent.forumco.com or its host to provide investment, medical, matrimonial, legal, security or tax advice and nothing posted here should be considered to be so. All rights reserved.

Think positive.

misteroman
Administrator

USA
2565 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2008 :  11:36:09  Show Profile Send misteroman a Private Message
true,true

Buying CU cents!!!! Paying 1.2 unlimited amounts wanted. Can pick up if near Ohio area.
Go to Top of Page

TenBears
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2008 :  11:46:46  Show Profile Send TenBears a Private Message
I read this on coinflation yesterday. Good read. However, I wonder if this is the right time to be selling gold and buying silver according to Saul Mine's gold/silver ratio "buying guide"?

"Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is not baying after what you can't have. Rich is having the time to do what you want to do. Rich is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells. Rich is not owing any money to anybody, and not spending what you haven't got." Robert Ruark

there are too wild Indians...
there are too wild Indians...-----still taunted

Go to Top of Page

starwarsgeek171
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2008 :  13:23:01  Show Profile Send starwarsgeek171 a Private Message
If anybody had a secret "buying guide," wouldn't they be a multi-millionaire/billionaire Wall Street Analyst? There are NO guarantees in investing.

Edited by - starwarsgeek171 on 07/25/2008 14:30:53
Go to Top of Page

TenBears
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2008 :  14:11:48  Show Profile Send TenBears a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by starwarsgeek171

If anybody had a secret "buying guide," wouldn't they be a multi-millionaire/billionaire Wall Street Analyst? There are NO guarantees in investing. I'm also a little concerned with many people's reluctant attitude towards buying silver above

I don't think Saul does any day trading type thing. Trading gold and silver based upon their ratio to each other is not a get rich quick scheme. People who trade gold and silver against each other have to hold their gold or silver for long periods of time, perhaps years, waiting for a favorable change in the gold/silver ratio, and thus, there next trade.

"Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is not baying after what you can't have. Rich is having the time to do what you want to do. Rich is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells. Rich is not owing any money to anybody, and not spending what you haven't got." Robert Ruark

there are too wild Indians...-----still taunted

Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2008 :  20:08:29  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
Some people just seem to want what they don't have. If they have silver they trade for gold and if they have gold they trade for........... I even have seen some people trade certain size silver bars for silver bars of another size............and take a big silver loss in doing so.

All posts either by the members, moderators, and the administration of http://realcent.forumco.com are for your edification and amusement only. It is not the intent of realcent.forumco.com or its host to provide investment, medical, matrimonial, legal, security or tax advice and nothing posted here should be considered to be so. All rights reserved.

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

Copper Catcher
Administrator

USA
2092 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2008 :  20:38:54  Show Profile Send Copper Catcher a Private Message
Approx $$: Rhodium $9210, Platinum $1695, Palladium $382 Gold $928, Silver $17.34, Copper $3.73/lb What should you buy???

Current Gold / Silver Ratio 53.54

You might want to read this very interesting article: THE GOLD/SILVER RATIO STRATEGY & THE CASE FOR SILVER by Franklin Sanders. It is dated i.e. 2003 but still very interesting information! It really makes you think. You must be logged in to see this link.

Go to Top of Page

scooter
Penny Pincher Member

240 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2008 :  09:02:41  Show Profile Send scooter a Private Message
Some people just seem to want what they don't have. If they have silver they trade for gold and if they have gold they trade for........... I even have seen some people trade certain size silver bars for silver bars of another size............and take a big silver loss in doing so.

wow, to be smart enough to be into precious metals but idiotic enought to trade down for the same metal. wow

I also feel silver is undervalued but i am worried that it could be that gold is just over valued.
Go to Top of Page

jpf231
Penny Collector Member

USA
340 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2008 :  09:08:53  Show Profile Send jpf231 a Private Message
My opinion is that silver is more undervalued than gold. Just my opinion - and believe me - I'm no expert.

Edited by - jpf231 on 07/26/2008 09:09:23
Go to Top of Page

Saul Mine
Penny Collector Member

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2008 :  19:32:32  Show Profile Send Saul Mine a Private Message
Yes, trading the ratio is such a boring business that I have missed several chances to swap. I swapped silver for gold just before Christmas 2006. Last year I sold the gold and bought scrap sterling for half of melt value, selling it and buying ingots. Then last winter I swapped all my silver for gold when Ebay went sort of crazy. People were paying 40% above spot for silver and selling gold at spot or below. Now that prices have dropped back I have bough some more silver, just in case the ratio goes down. A lot of people seem to think it will. Well, I'm not a genius, I bought some just in case they are right!

A penny sorted is a penny earned!

Please use tinyurl.com to post links. Long links make posts hard to read.
Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2008 :  19:53:56  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
I too just feel better about silver than gold right now............ due to it's silver's industrial value I guess. It must be that I'm still hopeing we can all can get through this economic mess intact somehow.

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

Art Tatum
Penny Collector Member

USA
400 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  03:39:01  Show Profile Send Art Tatum a Private Message
of course,you have more buying power with the silver!

my machine is running!
Go to Top of Page

wagsthadog
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  20:15:56  Show Profile Send wagsthadog a Private Message
Hi all,

I love ALL PM's.
Personally, I'm about half in gold, and half in silver, with a lot of copper on the side : )

Silver can have more profit potiential, but gold is unmistakably "bling."
DYODD. Don't overextend. Diversify.

Wags

Only when they CAN'T have it, ......THEN they'll want it.

I love Cents. If you get an UNC box, you win. If you get a regular circ. box, you win. If you get a zinc box, you don't lose....so you still win.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2