Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals
 Should I Clean Silver Art Bars?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

2 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2008 :  18:05:36  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
So, i just inherited quite a few seemingly rare silver art bars/ingots. However, its been years since they were taken out of a box in a basement and they've tarnished a bit. Should I clean them or will that decrease the value like it does for coins? And if so, how should I clean them?

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2008 :  18:40:04  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
First, welcome. Exactly how rare? Can we have examples?

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

25 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2008 :  19:35:38  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
If its just bullion clean it until it has a mirror finish!! If your not sure and it might be a coin dont do anything to it, including looking at it for too long.

When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

2 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2008 :  19:37:07  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
Hi. Thanks for responding. I'm somewhat new to the silver art bar scene so I'm not entirely sure if any of these are rare. They are all in commemorative boxes or cases, some with certificates of authenticity. For whatever reason, the boxes and cases that were supposed to protect the bars didn't do their job, and many are tarnished in spots or all over. Well, since I dont know which ones might be rare, here is the list if you care to read it over. . .

Picasso (Silver Creations Ltd.), Comet Kohoutek 1973 (in silver and bronze, The LIncoln Mint), Banjo Eyes (Washington Mint), Bonnie & Clyde (California Mint), Satchmo 1973 (Silver Creations Ltd.), Jesus Christ, Religions of the World 1973 (The Lincoln Mint), Humphrey Bogart (The Lincoln Mint), Eleanor Roosevelt (American Silver Editions), Clark Cable (Lincoln Mint), Tablets 1973 (Ohio Mint), Old Glory (Silver Creations Ltd.), Mercedes Benz (Gem Silver & Sales), Santa for President 1973 (RJG), Christmas around the World, Ireland (The Lombardo Mint) Christmas around the world, Holland (The Lombardo Mint), Yalta Conference 1973 (gold plated silver, Silver Creations Ltd.), Holy Bible (the Hartford Mint), Vince Lombardi (No mint specified), 3 Founders of Israel (3 bars. AG Mint), Easter 1974 (bronze, no mint) Peace Praying Hands (Columbus Mint), Gasparilla 1975: "Invasion", "Pirate Treasure", and "Jose" (all three The Normark Mint), The Holy Bible (Silver Creations Ltd.), Babe Ruth (Sports Ingots), Jackie Robinson (Sports Ingots), First Silver Ingot of the Valley Forge Mint, Boehm Peace Bar, Double Strikes INgot (Don Adams Companies), Marilyn Munroe (Manhattan Private Mint), Lighting Tamer Ben Franklin (copper, proof) Pope John XXIII (American Silver Editions).

There are more still in storage, but I'm dealing with these ones first. Any advice on any of these bars would be much appreciated!

Go to Top of Page

Frugi
Administrator

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2008 :  20:46:47  Show Profile Send Frugi a Private Message
The question IS:

If you want to save them for yourself and look it them for enjoyment -clean them
(an eraser works well)

If you want $$$ for them, than you should be able to sell them on eBay for at least triple the melt value. In this case it would be dreadful if you clean them so leave them alone.

If you want to keep them for the future, or you are sentimentally connected to them, just leave them alone, don't clean them.

Years of existence is how the tarnish got there, it just seems sad to wipe it all away in a matter of seconds. So not only would the item be all shiny, but it will begin to patinate all over again, except this time it will turn a different color and be noticeably cleaned. Cleaning silver leaves chemicals on the silver which react differently and make the silver turn out tarnishing in one of any numbers of colors from pink to blue. Also most cleaning leaves tiny scratches which will be noticeable. It is advisable to NOT CLEAN THEM and just store them, and sell one here and there when you need one.

a side note. I you do decide to sell them. SELL ONLINE for your best chances of getting full retail, a coin dealer will only pay scrap.
Go to Top of Page

Nickelless
Administrator

USA
5580 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2008 :  03:17:21  Show Profile Send Nickelless a Private Message
Has anyone else heard of boiling silver coins in water to help clean them, instead of using cleaning agents or solvents?

Visit my new preparedness site: Preparedness.cc/SurvivalPrep.net
--Latest article: Stocking up on spices to keep food preps lively

---------------

Be prepared...and prepared to help: http://www.survivalblog.com/charity.html

Are you ready spiritually for hard times? http://www.jesusfreak.com/rapture.asp
Go to Top of Page

Art Tatum
Penny Collector Member

USA
400 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  03:00:45  Show Profile Send Art Tatum a Private Message
Frugi knows his stuff!