Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals
 Question about Halves
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

42 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2008 :  05:05:56  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
I was just wondering what the percentages are on kennedy half dollars when looking for the 40% silver ones. I sort pennies, but have never tried halves.

I mean how many am I gonna find? 1 per 500 dollar box, more? less than 1 per box?

Bobby Deese

Lemon Thrower
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1588 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2008 :  05:53:28  Show Profile Send Lemon Thrower a Private Message
i average 1 40% and 1 90% per box, but its not unusual to get completely skunked on a box.

Buying:
Peace/Morgan G+ at $15.00
copper cents at 1.3X
wheat pennies at 3X

Go to Top of Page

redneck
1000+ Penny Miser Member

1273 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2008 :  05:59:41  Show Profile Send redneck a Private Message
quote:
I mean how many am I gonna find? 1 per 500 dollar box, more? less than 1 per box?

Exactly, more or less.

It just all depends.

You will probably go through a lot of skunk boxes,but...

if the Silver Santa shows up .

You don't know till you try...

Go to Top of Page

fb101
Administrator

USA
2856 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2008 :  07:19:16  Show Profile Send fb101 a Private Message
Definitely a mixed bag. I get skunked sometimes 3 or 4 boxes in a row. Every once in a while, you get a really good box and it holds up your averages. All in all it's worth it, as long as you don't live in the Philadelphia suburbs, then it's definitely NOT worth it

Go to Top of Page

jpf231
Penny Collector Member

USA
340 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2008 :  07:23:59  Show Profile Send jpf231 a Private Message
I tried to vary it up by scrounging throungh some boxes of halves several months ago. I got skunked completely on both boxes. It was discouraging, so I pretty much only sort pennies now.
Go to Top of Page

TenBears
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2008 :  09:30:12  Show Profile Send TenBears a Private Message
I am getting only one to 1.5 40%ers per box on average. Lots of skunk involved in sorting half dollars.

"Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is not baying after what you can't have. Rich is having the time to do what you want to do. Rich is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells. Rich is not owing any money to anybody, and not spending what you haven't got." Robert Ruark

there are too wild Indians...
there are too wild Indians...-----still taunted

Go to Top of Page

ME CO
Penny Pincher Member

USA
199 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2008 :  10:45:47  Show Profile Send ME CO a Private Message
It takes awhile to "learn the game" but it is worth it. I wish I had had ME to mentor ME when I started. One piece of advice- "Go big, or go home". HH Mark

"54/54/2280"
Go to Top of Page

AgCollector
Penny Collector Member

USA
266 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2008 :  11:07:42  Show Profile Send AgCollector a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ME CO

It takes awhile to "learn the game" but it is worth it. I wish I had had ME to mentor ME when I started. One piece of advice- "Go big, or go home". HH Mark

In terms of ordering boxes, you're absolutely right about going big... BUT- I have had many fantastic finds from customer wrapped rolls (several times found 3-4 solid rolls of 90%, and couple times found 10+ rolls solid 40%). If you can scour all banks in your area for them, you ought to do well.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

51 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2008 :  11:41:59  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
what does this mean? some 1964 or before halves have only 40% silver? if so how do you tell?

thanks in advance!

EDIT

think i got the answer:
US*40%* Silver Coins (1965-69)

Edited by - n/a on 08/01/2008 12:03:19
Go to Top of Page

Lemon Thrower
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1588 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2008 :  13:08:28  Show Profile Send Lemon Thrower a Private Message
64 and before are 90%
65-70 are 40%.

my best luck is emptying out the old rolls from a bank. once you get past that and they have to order from you, your chances of getting skunked go up astronomically. which means you can't even expect this percentage by just going to the same bank and ordering boxes.

of course I'm in ATL where copper percentage on my last bags was 15%.

Buying:
Peace/Morgan G+ at $15.00
copper cents at 1.3X
wheat pennies at 3X

Go to Top of Page

ME CO
Penny Pincher Member

USA
199 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2008 :  13:54:53  Show Profile Send ME CO a Private Message
I agree, if your going to do this the first thing to do is go to every bank in the area and clean them out, if you get some good hits put them on a rotation and hit them every month or so. I was not so fortunate to be the only one looking in this way. So I went to the boxes and only occasionally pop into a bank for hand rolls or loose. I used to burn some gas and take some road trips, but I knew there were banks that ordered halves that I could get also. Anyways thats my story and I'm stickin to it. Have to see what works for you. HH Mark

quote:
Originally posted by AgCollector

quote:

In terms of ordering boxes, you're absolutely right about going big... BUT- I have had many fantastic finds from customer wrapped rolls (several times found 3-4 solid rolls of 90%, and couple times found 10+ rolls solid 40%). If you can scour all banks in your area for them, you ought to do well.

"54/54/2280"
Go to Top of Page

AgCollector
Penny Collector Member

USA
266 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2008 :  15:03:21  Show Profile Send AgCollector a Private Message
quote:

I agree, if your going to do this the first thing to do is go to every bank in the area and clean them out, if you get some good hits put them on a rotation and hit them every month or so. I was not so fortunate to be the only one looking in this way. So I went to the boxes and only occasionally pop into a bank for hand rolls or loose. I used to burn some gas and take some road trips, but I knew there were banks that ordered halves that I could get also. Anyways thats my story and I'm stickin to it. Have to see what works for you. HH Mark

Sounds familiar- I only stopped when I had to drive 1 hour + just to get to a 'new' area.
Go to Top of Page

Flbandit
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2008 :  17:36:40  Show Profile Send Flbandit a Private Message
I have some luck with just asking at the counter for halfs. I've gotten 3 40% and a 90 just from what tellers had in their drawers.

Are you throwing that out?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

51 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2008 :  17:45:06  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
whats the deal here? you just ask for the silver coins and the bank gives it to you for 50c?

thanks!
Go to Top of Page

ME CO
Penny Pincher Member

USA
199 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2008 :  18:12:29  Show Profile Send ME CO a Private Message
You don't pick and choose- buy them all, you can dump the rejects somewhere else or spend them. Some tellers either don't know or don't care about silver. I had to go to another town for business yesterday so while I was there I made a day of it, I went to all the banks and bought all the halves they would sell ME. Most were machine rolls, I'm not the only one hunting so some banks order boxes to dole out. One bank had a few loose, 3 hand rolls, and two machine rolls in the vault. While I was waiting I thought I spied a silver quarter in her tray so when she got back I asked her about it and she gave it to ME in my change. Amazing to ME she would give ME $3.00 worth of silver for a quarter. That is my first one too. HH Mark

"54/54/2280"
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

51 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2008 :  18:28:47  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
sorry to be so stupid but what do i aks for at the bank exactly?
can i have a box of halves....?

thanks!!!
Go to Top of Page

TenBears
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2008 :  07:57:55  Show Profile Send TenBears a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by russell

can i have a box of halves....?

That is the first question. The answer will invariably be, "We don't have any." Your next question should be,"Who do I need to speak to about ordering a box(es) of halves?" You need to try to find out which of the tellers is the one who orders change for that particular bank branch. Then, after you have ordered your first box and have instructions as to when to pick it up, ask for any loose halves the tellers have. Don't let you ordered box of halves sit at the bank. I don't know all the ins and outs of bank teller accounting, but they definitely do not like holding your halves past the day you said you would pick them up.

"Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is not baying after what you can't have. Rich is having the time to do what you want to do. Rich is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells. Rich is not owing any money to anybody, and not spending what you haven't got." Robert Ruark

there are too wild Indians...-----still taunted

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

51 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2008 :  10:56:46  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
thanks for the info coupe more questions:

1- lets say you order a box of 500 ($250) and there are none can you just return it and get bills or are they going to get annoyed

2- when asking for loose coins or rolls of coins do i specifially ask for silver coins? or they will just give me what they have and if its silver score if not then onto the next bank

thanks!!!
Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2008 :  11:49:21  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
Don't return them to the same bank. That will quickly put an end to the halves from that branch. You must take ALL the coins from them. No picking and choosing. That is the price you must pay for the possibility of finding silver.

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

51 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2008 :  12:31:41  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
thanks notabigdeal. thats what i figured. but if you return to one bank then you cannot see what they have in halves correct? or would ask as you are returning ? thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Cody8404
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
602 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2008 :  17:09:20  Show Profile Send Cody8404 a Private Message
I when I am traveling I will stop at the oldest banks in town and clean them out of half dollars. Most are really glad to get rid of them. If I do it this way I can expect 2-3 40% halfs in each $100, I have yet to find any 90%. So far my total is up to eight coins total. If the bank orders halfs in I find there are no silver at all. Someone must have mined this area.

Awake, O kings of the earth! Come ye, O, come ye, with your gold and your silver, to the help of my people, to the house of the daughters of Zion, to the help of the people of the God of this Land even Jesus Christ.
Go to Top of Page

tadpole
Penny Sorter Member

63 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2008 :  20:59:49  Show Profile Send tadpole a Private Message
Just keep sorting. If you can get bags of loose halves off their coin sorter you might have some luck. Sometimes I will sort a $1,000 dollar bag and get skunked, but I estimate that you usually get 4 to 6 keepers out of a bag. I hit the mother lode about two weeks ago, 21# of 90% silver halves out of a 50# #1,000 bag, I didn't count them, just wieghed them. Will count later when I make up a full bag. Vollume is the name of the game. Good luck.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2