Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals
 Finding Silver
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

2 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2008 :  08:14:10  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
Ok, a) I'm new here, b) I've looked and must be stupid cause I can't find anything here, c) I'll most likely kick myself when I see how easy the answer is.

I live in the Northern VA area and am looking for silver. Not the old coins that had *some* silver but more in the area of rounds or bars (what are small smal silver bars called?). Spot is currently $17.19 and about the best I can find on the internet is $18 and change wait 4 weeks, min $100 order, pay shipping & insurance. This would put the price up way over $20

I don't have a lot of money to put into this at any one time so I'm looking for somewhere I can walk in, put my money down, and walk out with my silver. Hopefully without paying too much of a premium.

Does anybody have any advice you could give me?

War is evil, but it is often the lesser evil. -- Eric Arthur Blair

horgad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1641 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2008 :  08:19:57  Show Profile Send horgad a Private Message
It is always harder to get close to spot on small amounts (especially silver rounds and art bars), but try E-Bay, flea-markets, garage sales, coin shops, coin shows, estate sales, and even the buy/sell thread on this message board. Also if you really, really want to get silver at spot or under you might want to reconsider junk silver coins...

Edited by - horgad on 07/25/2008 08:25:41
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

2 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2008 :  09:07:44  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
I came across one shop that does coins, antiques, etc. As well as silver & gold.

Only problem is that they don't seem to have much right now. I'm new to this but it seems to me that I'm looking for rounds that actually say that a) they are .999 silver and b) weigh 1 troy oz (or whatever).

Am I correct or do they not really need to say that? or what?

War is evil, but it is often the lesser evil. -- Eric Arthur Blair
Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2008 :  10:11:18  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
I used to live in the DC area... really enjoyed it there.

Look up "coins" in your yellow pages. Many coin shops carry some silver rounds and bars. I buy from one in Washington State that charges $1.00 over spot and they let me paw through thier silver box to pick what I like. Remember the seller needs to make a little spread, but the bullion business is all about volume not big margins.

Don't be surprised to find limited selections at shops. Silver is in high demand (sells quickly) but since you only want a little you should be ok. Remember many first time silver buyers like you are out there looking too because of the economy and rise in silver values.

I also buy off ebay and on the buy sell section here. horgad has a nice list of places to look.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

25 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2008 :  10:20:26  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
Prices are high in the Northern Virgina area. (lots of money floating around)Look up coin shops in the phone book and call them and ask what they are selling it for over spot. Anything over .50 is excessive in my opinion. But you may not have a choice. You can always order some online. I however would not recommend ebay. You will be bidding on something with a price that is constantly changing. Buy it now has so many fees its hard to find someone selling near spot. I would sell silver on ebay if it weren't for the fee's. If your new to buying silver I also would not recommend flea markets. I have seen more counterfeit coins and gold/silver at flea markets then anywhere else. They are fine for an experienced bargain hunter but not someone new trying to save 5. bucks. Always Remember to factor in shipping and insurance. 5.00 shipping on 40 oz adds an extra 12.5 cents an ounce. So if you bought from someone like me for .25 over it would really cost you .37 over. If your local guy was .35 over you would save buying local. Its all relative, when silver is 60 an ounce does it matter if you paid .25 over or .60 over?

When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2008 :  10:30:19  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
I forgot - a number of members here have reported good transactions with casperscoins. I hear his shop is good value.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

misteroman
Administrator

USA
2565 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2008 :  11:27:31  Show Profile Send misteroman a Private Message
Welcome! My sister lives in Stafford VA so that should be near you somewhere.
I like the fact that you said old coins had *some* silver.I only buy 90% in case that silver ever goes down,I still have most of my money.If silver went down(heaven forbid) to $5 an ounce,how much would your bar be worth?$5.25?How much would my 3 W.L. halves be worth $15?
Seems like a no brainer to me

Buying CU cents!!!! Paying 1.2 unlimited amounts wanted. Can pick up if near Ohio area.
Go to Top of Page

TenBears
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2008 :  11:33:08  Show Profile Send TenBears a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by horgad

Also if you really, really want to get silver at spot or under you might want to reconsider junk silver coins...

Good advice. Pre-1965 "junk" is 90% silver. So that is a little more than the "some silver" you might have thought these coins contained.

"Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is not baying after what you can't have. Rich is having the time to do what you want to do. Rich is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells. Rich is not owing any money to anybody, and not spending what you haven't got." Robert Ruark

there are too wild Indians...
there are too wild Indians...
there are too wild Indians...-----still taunted

Go to Top of Page

Cerulean
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2008 :  14:04:27  Show Profile Send Cerulean a Private Message
There's a coin show in Annandale every June and December. You should be able to buy silver and/or gold there from a number of dealers.

There's always this place too. Hard to find, though.

Alexandria Coin Sales
7120 Little River Tpke, Annandale, VA
(703) 354-3700

Sorting Map
2010 First Finds Contest
Are you a Buffalo Hunter?
Wanna take seignorage away from the Fed? Spend *any* coins!
We cannot afford this government.
Cerulean's Standing Offer: $3/lb shipped for foreign coins

Edited by - Cerulean on 07/25/2008 14:08:09
Go to Top of Page

fb101
Administrator

USA
2856 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2008 :  17:46:37  Show Profile Send fb101 a Private Message
From what I've seen, if you just go after bars and rounds, you'll pay more per oz. If that is what you like, then nothingwill help you. BTW: with the current cost of gasoline, driving 10 miles to pick up an oz at $17 will cost you $21 total for that oz. Sorry can't give you better news.

Go to Top of Page

Copper Catcher
Administrator

USA
2092 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2008 :  19:47:20  Show Profile Send Copper Catcher a Private Message
msinsabaugh as mentioned before You must be logged in to see this link. is a great place to get silver coins or bars! I have not found anyone any better to deal with... They are honest and do exactly what they say they are going to do! They are not open on Monday but you can call on Tues - Fri. Ask for Justin Kollar, I think he is one of the owners. The number is 1-574-272-5554 and are located in IN. He has a live feed and will telling you the most up to date spot price and will lock in a price for you. He charges only .25 over spot plus his actual cost for shipping and insurance. You mail him a postal money order and when he gets payment he will ship to you the next day insured mail and you will have to sign for it. I believe they buy and sell 5,000 to 6,000 ounces of silver a week so I'm sure he will be able to handle your order.

Go to Top of Page

sumrtym
Penny Sorter Member

36 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2008 :  20:13:20  Show Profile Send sumrtym a Private Message
Once in awhile you luck into good deals too. Purchased 40 mercury dimes and 10 barber quarters today for $58.50 (9x face).
Go to Top of Page

Flbandit
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2008 :  21:02:21  Show Profile Send Flbandit a Private Message
I generally watch for 90% junk silver coins as well.

Are you throwing that out?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2008 :  19:15:09  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
I get all of my silver for free! If you have the patience to hunt copper, silver, and gold, buy a metal detector. I love treasure hunting, and it has paid off. I have about 60 OZ. of .900 silver on hand. How much? Just some gas, and a good time outdoors! Best of all, I am always adding to the pile!
Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2008 :  19:30:34  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by C.Patrick

I get all of my silver for free! If you have the patience to hunt copper, silver, and gold, buy a metal detector. I love treasure hunting, and it has paid off. I have about 60 OZ. of .900 silver on hand. How much? Just some gas, and a good time outdoors! Best of all, I am always adding to the pile!

Do you care to share some tips as to where to look?

Realcent.forumco.com disclosure. Please read.
All posts either by the members, moderators, and the administration of http://realcent.forumco.com are for your edification and amusement only. It is not the intent of realcent.forumco.com or its host to provide investment, medical, matrimonial, legal, security or tax advice and nothing posted here should be considered to be so. All rights reserved.

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

CoinHunter53562
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1805 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2008 :  19:42:30  Show Profile Send CoinHunter53562 a Private Message
If you are interested in bigger bars, I have a lead on a 50 oz and 100 oz bar that can be purchased at spot. Of course there would be shipping but I think these can both fit in a flat rate box which runs somewhere around $8.95. I don't have them in my possesion but was contacted by someone looking to sell them. Let me know if you or anyone else here would like to get more info.

My hobby: collecting real money 1 copper cent or nickel at a time.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2008 :  19:44:09  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
You should have a detector that can go pretty deep.

You should always search on "all metal", as discrimination lies. You dig a lot of pull tabs, but you also find some good stuff too...

Search in wet ground, and sand, since these two mediums allow the electromagnetic waves to penetrate easier than in dry ground.

Hunt EVERYWHERE!! No place is hunted out. Do your research to find out where old fairs, public gatherings, etc, were held, and go there.

And most importantly, hunt...hunt....hunt...and when you are done, hunt some more! I work 60 hours a week, and on my free time, I am out detecting, or antiquing. The funny thing is, I have owned my own detector for only about a couple months. I have been detecting for two years.

Apart from precious metals, I am also collecting coppers, and you find a lot of that in the ground. Even the junk metal that you find can serve you well. My brass faucet heads, etc., go into a bucket. Once in a while, I cash that it at the local scrap yard.

I hope this information was of some help!

Chris
Go to Top of Page

Bluegill
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1964 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2008 :  20:33:47  Show Profile Send Bluegill a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by C.Patrick

You should have a detector that can go pretty deep.

You should always search on "all metal", as discrimination lies. You dig a lot of pull tabs, but you also find some good stuff too...

Search in wet ground, and sand, since these two mediums allow the electromagnetic waves to penetrate easier than in dry ground.

Hunt EVERYWHERE!! No place is hunted out. Do your research to find out where old fairs, public gatherings, etc, were held, and go there.

And most importantly, hunt...hunt....hunt...and when you are done, hunt some more! I work 60 hours a week, and on my free time, I am out detecting, or antiquing. The funny thing is, I have owned my own detector for only about a couple months. I have been detecting for two years.

Apart from precious metals, I am also collecting coppers, and you find a lot of that in the ground. Even the junk metal that you find can serve you well. My brass faucet heads, etc., go into a bucket. Once in a while, I cash that it at the local scrap yard.

I hope this information was of some help!

Chris

What make and model is your detector? I am giving serious thought on the White's Prism III.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2008 :  13:57:05  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
Hi Bluegill,

I actually use an Ace 250, which is a $200 machine. Basically the more expensive the machine, the more gadgets it has, such as "advanced discrimination" or your daily horoscope. I am thinking about upgrading slightly for a model that can search deeper, but I am still having plenty of success with the one that I have.

As I said before, a $1200 machine set to pick up only "coins" will actually pass up good coins in the process. What happens is that they can display gold as nickel, or a pull tab. Or it might read "iron", but next to that rusty nail are three silver Morgan's. This is why I dig everything. It's also why I have a cheaper detector - I have no need for all of the frills. BUT, that is just me.

Honestly, choosing a detector is like choosing a woman. Every metal detector suits someone differently. Some detectors are more designed for gold, while others are more designed for salt water and black sand detecting. If you plan on detecting in the desert, or on a salt water beach, you will want a different detector than someone who will be hitting parks and old home sites. Do your research, read the reviews, and decide what is the best model for your needs.

The best advice that I can give you, or anyone who is looking to buy a detector, is to visit one of the online forums and see what they have to say. Treasurenet is a good one, which can be found at You must be logged in to see this link. .

As for the Prism III, I really don't know. My brother has operated a Whites as long as he has been detecting, and has been very happy with them.

Chris

Edited by - n/a on 07/27/2008 14:06:42
Go to Top of Page

sumrtym
Penny Sorter Member

36 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2008 :  16:02:40  Show Profile Send sumrtym a Private Message
If you're looking for a cheap machine like the Ace 250, I'd recommend the Fisher F2 over it. I believe it's even better for the same money, and I think is still coming with a small loop additional for hunting in trash.
Go to Top of Page

horgad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1641 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2008 :  07:16:31  Show Profile Send horgad a Private Message
If you want to go deeper, you might consider a bigger coil instead of a new detector. Only problem is that it will be harder to pinpoint stuff with the big coil.

As for searching for all metal, I do it when I can, but at the parks around here there are spots where you might get 6-7 signals in a 3x3 space. Might as well leave the metal detector at home, get a big shovel, and dig up the whole park.

Go to Top of Page

sumrtym
Penny Sorter Member

36 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2008 :  09:04:23  Show Profile Send sumrtym a Private Message
That's why you need the small coil...to separate out the trash from good targets.

Edited by - sumrtym on 07/29/2008 09:05:16
Go to Top of Page

Saul Mine
Penny Collector Member

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2008 :  19:07:00  Show Profile Send Saul Mine a Private Message
The nice thing about junk coins is that prices swing above and below spot. Right now they are below, so you can buy and hold until the price goes up again. (Be patient - it's a slow market.)

A penny sorted is a penny earned!

Please use tinyurl.com to post links. Long links make posts hard to read.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2