Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals
 quarters and halves
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

daviscfad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1664 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2008 :  19:27:48  Show Profile Send daviscfad a Private Message
I am wondering about 1965 to now quarters and 1970 to now half dollars. It seems that there metal Composition: 91.67% Cu 8.33% Ni.i guess not enough copper in it to start hoarding these also? like the copper is not high enough per pound.

Inquiring minds want to know

Edited by - daviscfad on 07/22/2008 19:28:27

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2008 :  19:33:02  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
Check You must be logged in to see this link. it will be awhile until you need to save those....

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

TenBears
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2008 :  19:34:27  Show Profile Send TenBears a Private Message
I don't keep any quarters. Many of us here do prospect for silver in boxes of silver halves. I will keep a few of the AU clad halves I come across in my prospecting.

"Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is not baying after what you can't have. Rich is having the time to do what you want to do. Rich is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells. Rich is not owing any money to anybody, and not spending what you haven't got." Robert Ruark

there are too wild Indians...
there are too wild Indians...
there are too wild Indians...-----still taunted

Edited by - TenBears on 07/22/2008 19:35:07
Go to Top of Page

daviscfad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1664 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2008 :  20:18:58  Show Profile Send daviscfad a Private Message
thanks deal
i dont search the quarters or halves. I was just wondering about the metal content and as i can see it will be a long way away. I am glad dont want to start another hoard. Just wondering it is saying that Lincoln Zinc Cent Value 1982-2008 Cent (97.5% zinc) * $0.01 $0.0049629
if the post 82 lmc are worth only that in metal content how come it cost the mint more to make them?

Go to Top of Page

misteroman
Administrator

USA
2565 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2008 :  20:22:04  Show Profile Send misteroman a Private Message
By the time theu would be worth money,it will be a cashless society

Buying CU cents!!!! Paying 1.2 unlimited amounts wanted. Can pick up if near Ohio area.
Go to Top of Page

jpf231
Penny Collector Member

USA
340 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2008 :  21:07:00  Show Profile Send jpf231 a Private Message
I do enjoy scrounging for halves as a brief change of pace from time to time, but I'll tell you - getting skunked on $500 box of halves after $500 box of halves really kills your motivation for halves. You have to be quite dedicated and not cave into the crippling depression that results in getting skunked many times over on $500 boxes of halves. hah.
Go to Top of Page

moboman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2555 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2008 :  21:36:52  Show Profile Send moboman a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by daviscfad

thanks deal
i dont search the quarters or halves. I was just wondering about the metal content and as i can see it will be a long way away. I am glad dont want to start another hoard. Just wondering it is saying that Lincoln Zinc Cent Value 1982-2008 Cent (97.5% zinc) * $0.01 $0.0049629
if the post 82 lmc are worth only that in metal content how come it cost the mint more to make them?

It takes workers, machinery, utilities, rent, artists, and the cost of the zinc to make a penny.

"99% of all lawyers give the rest of them a bad name"

Go to Top of Page

daviscfad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1664 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2008 :  00:11:54  Show Profile Send daviscfad a Private Message
quote:
It takes workers, machinery, utilities, rent, artists, and the cost of the zinc to make a penny.

I realize that but change the composition to steel "which is in the works" you still have the same problem I would think?!

Go to Top of Page

Flbandit
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2008 :  17:36:10  Show Profile Send Flbandit a Private Message
I look for halfs sometimes. I got a 40% one today out of 8 I got at the bank.

Are you throwing that out?
Go to Top of Page

swusc
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2008 :  19:16:02  Show Profile Send swusc a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by daviscfad

quote:

I realize that but change the composition to steel "which is in the works" you still have the same problem I would think?!

You would but the cost of the material drop a lot from steel to zinc.

Also, you have to figure a lot of those cost are fixed not variable. You still need the builidng, most of the utilities, artists, machinery,and workers to make the dimes and quarters.

I think they are applying overhead cost on a per coin basis. That makes the cent and nickel assume an undue burden of the cost on a face value basis.

Either the government is just trying to make the cent and nickel cost look worse than they are to help justify the change of material or stop production of the cent and nickel OR they are all a bunch of idiots.

Think about it this way... if you ran a car dealership and sold just cars and oil changes but applied your overhead cost on a per transaction basis. It would make oil changes (cents and nickel) look unprofitable and car sales (dimes and quarters) look more profitable than they really were. Doing away with the oil changes wouldn't save you money.. it would likely cost you money since they should really be profitable.

The cent might be close to break even with a good applied overhead rate, but the nickel should be profitable.

-SWUSC

`Everybody is ignorant. Only on different subjects.' Will Rogers

"This is the shabby secret of the welfare statists' tirades against gold. Deficit spending is simply a scheme for the "hidden" confiscation of wealth. Gold stands in the way of this insidious process. It stands as a protector of property rights. If one grasps this, one has no difficulty in understanding the statists' antagonism toward the gold standard." Alan Greenspan, 1966.
Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2008 :  19:44:22  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
I hold on to about 300 half-dollars most of which are the rejects of a futle effort of mine looking for 40% silver. I just like half dollars. It reminds me of when I was a kid and my younger brother would call them "Big Pennies". All other clad other than the S.B.A. and Ike dollars don't interest me.

Realcent.forumco.com disclosure. Please read.
All posts either by the members, moderators, and the administration of http://realcent.forumco.com are for your edification and amusement only. It is not the intent of realcent.forumco.com or its host to provide investment, medical, matrimonial, legal, security or tax advice and nothing posted here should be considered to be so. All rights reserved.

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2008 :  22:38:42  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
Canada makes steel cents and little complaint that the RCM is losing money on them. I would think they make a profit on pennies still. Not a big leap to say the US will move to a steel penny soon.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2