Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins
 rarer recent canadian nickel varieties (2006?)
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

psi
Penny Collector Member

Canada
399 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2008 :  16:56:57  Show Profile Send psi a Private Message
Does anyone here save any of the 2006 nickels (or anything else recent and uncommon) when sorting? From what I can tell there are 3 varieties from that year (P mintmark, rcm mintmark, no mark) but I haven't seen anything on which might be the least common. I have heard some speculation that they switched back to cu-ni for a bit that year (not sure why they would do this) but I haven't heard any official confirmation of this. When I was looking into it before I found some non-magnetic 2006's which would support the theory (not sure but i would guess they were the no mintmark ones).

I'm going to resort my post-81 pile for 2006's and report back on percentages, but is there anything else I should look out for? I'll be looking out for 91's, 2000P's and 2001 no-P's as well, which I have heard are more uncommon. My guess is that the no-mintmark 2006's will be the rarest from that year but we will see.

Know Common Cents
Penny Pincher Member

195 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2008 :  10:42:56  Show Profile Send Know Common Cents a Private Message
I heard the same thing that you did. I think (but don't know) that the 2006 with no MM or P mark are going to be the rarest. I have about 15 of each variety and have them off to the side. Minimal investment for maximum potential. I've thought about contacting one of the major coin dealers in Canada (J&M comes to mind) and asking them if they have rolls for sale of each. No doubt one type is probably priced higher than the others and them I could be the uninformed American asking why that's the case. Good starting point, at least.

Here in Wisconsin, we have some of the highest property and gasoline taxes in the US. We're squeezed so much, I have to make my daughter wear penny boxes for shoes. At least she has an endless supply.
Go to Top of Page

psi
Penny Collector Member

Canada
399 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2008 :  16:00:17  Show Profile Send psi a Private Message
I checked on one site where I've seen a lot of canadian mint rolls for sale (You must be logged in to see this link.) and they price the 2006's at 9.95, 6.95 and 3.85 for unmarked, P marked and RCM marked coins respectively. Interestingly that place also buys and sells canadian nickels as bullion which is something I haven't seen with other coin stores.
Go to Top of Page

mickeyman
Penny Pincher Member

Canada
243 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2008 :  19:55:42  Show Profile Send mickeyman a Private Message
Any differences between the steel ones and the cupronickel ones? I found three cupronickel 2006's tonight and all were no mint mark. At the same time I found five steel 2006 with P, one with no mint mark, and several with the RCM mark.

Not all who wander are lost.
Go to Top of Page

mickeyman
Penny Pincher Member

Canada
243 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2008 :  21:34:22  Show Profile Send mickeyman a Private Message
Several more Cu Ni 2006s, all with no mint mark. I have still only found one steel 2006 with no mint mark.

I thought that the switch to cupronickel for some 2006s had to do with an unexpectedly rapid deterioration of the die, so they used the softer metal to prolong its life. Maybe it only happened at one site.

Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2008 :  23:10:21  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
Along the same line, I was playing with magnets as a way to sort Nickels. Found that some of the 2000 coins are not attracted to the magnet like I would have expected, indicating they are likely CuNi.

Using magnets does not really speed sorting up for me though, since you need to seperate the good 1981 and earlier from the junk 2000+ by hand (both stick to the magnet), and still sort the US from CDN CuNi by hand.

Thought about sorting out the CuNi coins from the 2000+ but:

1. You can't see the difference
2. Coinflation, the RCMint site, and other sites list them all as steel
3. I am concerned that future buyers might consider the sort "contaminated" by what are assumed to be steel coins (absent a magnet)
4. The extra effort to seperate out these coins (using a magnet on them all after sorting by date) is not worth the extra effort when I can drive south and buy US nickels with the same composition, no sorting required. The US nickels are often effectively at a slight discount compared to CDN coins with my CDN $.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2008 :  20:26:58  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
Ryedale sorts out all the CuNi 2000+ real well. no mint mark = CuNi too. I save all CuNi now cause someday I'll find a market and worst case I just roll them up and deposit them someday.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

kavajava
Penny Collector Member

USA
490 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2008 :  23:42:01  Show Profile Send kavajava a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by psi

I checked on one site where I've seen a lot of canadian mint rolls for sale (You must be logged in to see this link.) Interestingly that place also buys and sells canadian nickels as bullion which is something I haven't seen with other coin stores.

Here is the only other place I've found that sells nickels as bullion:
You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2008 :  03:58:15  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by kavajava

quote:
Originally posted by psi

I checked on one site where I've seen a lot of canadian mint rolls for sale (You must be logged in to see this link.) Interestingly that place also buys and sells canadian nickels as bullion which is something I haven't seen with other coin stores.

Here is the only other place I've found that sells nickels as bullion:
You must be logged in to see this link.

He is a board member here - up standing guy as far as I can tell.

I also sell nickel as bullion :) What to buy some?

Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

mickeyman
Penny Pincher Member

Canada
243 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2008 :  13:19:29  Show Profile Send mickeyman a Private Message
The 2003 nickels, although all steel, have two possible portraits of the queen on the obverse (or is it reverse - I always get those mixed up). It seems that the portrait they started using in the late 80s and stopped using in 2003 is the one that is less common. I haven't seen any mint numbers though. But in a check of a few hundred rolls, they were about twice as common as the very uncommon 2000 steelies. I wouldn't say they are rare, though, and I am sure we will have many years to search for them if you want.

Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2008 :  02:38:43  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by mickeyman

The 2003 nickels, although all steel, have two possible portraits of the queen on the obverse (or is it reverse - I always get those mixed up). It seems that the portrait they started using in the late 80s and stopped using in 2003 is the one that is less common. I haven't seen any mint numbers though. But in a check of a few hundred rolls, they were about twice as common as the very uncommon 2000 steelies. I wouldn't say they are rare, though, and I am sure we will have many years to search for them if you want.

Never noticed that before. Another variety to add to my collection.

Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2