Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins
 No more nickels........
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ponce
Penny Hoarding Member

Cuba
630 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2008 :  12:56:07  Show Profile Send Ponce a Private Message
I have 40 bricks of nickels that I told my bank that I needed for the poker game at my home.....I got those 40 bricks over a period of three months but now they tell me that they no longer can give me the extra bricks that I wanted but only a few rolls.

That tells me that they are now taking away the "real" nickels out of circulation and getting ready for the new nickels.

"If you don't hold it, you don't own it"...Ponce

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2008 :  19:45:47  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
Could be Ponce. I'm still buying and I just bought a box today with no problems. Maybe they are mad that they weren't invited to that poker game of yours.

Realcent.forumco.com disclosure. Please read.
All posts either by the members, moderators, and the administration of http://realcent.forumco.com are for your edification and amusement only. It is not the intent of realcent.forumco.com or its host to provide investment, medical, matrimonial, legal, security or tax advice and nothing posted here should be considered to be so. All rights reserved.

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

Robarons
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2008 :  22:46:57  Show Profile Send Robarons a Private Message
I think they are mad for not being invited too. When I pick up my nickels I tell them "I am using them for extreme euchre". Lets just say theres no questions asked.

Have you tried popping into some other banks in town? I am sure they have some five cent pieces laying around.

Robber Baron= Robarons
Go to Top of Page

moboman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2555 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2008 :  22:58:33  Show Profile Send moboman a Private Message
you can get US nickels in cuba?

"99% of all lawyers give the rest of them a bad name"

Go to Top of Page

misteroman
Administrator

USA
2565 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2008 :  23:43:52  Show Profile Send misteroman a Private Message
sure, they trade for cigars

Buying CU cents!!!! Paying 1.2 unlimited amounts wanted. Can pick up if near Ohio area.
Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2008 :  04:03:16  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
Just visit some other banks and ask if they have extra nickels they would be shipping out. You can save them the shipping cost. Your bank is likely getting tired of the 40 box drain on thier inventory by a guy that does not pre-order coin. Really how much poker can you play - that story must get old.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2008 :  06:20:45  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
Not in Cuba I don't think....

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

Nickelless
Administrator

USA
5580 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2008 :  07:47:33  Show Profile Send Nickelless a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ponce

I have 40 bricks of nickels that I told my bank that I needed for the poker game at my home.....I got those 40 bricks over a period of three months but now they tell me that they no longer can give me the extra bricks that I wanted but only a few rolls.

That tells me that they are now taking away the "real" nickels out of circulation and getting ready for the new nickels.

Maybe I'm not the only one who's Nickelless, er, nickelless.

Visit my new preparedness site: Preparedness.cc/SurvivalPrep.net
--Latest article: Stocking up on spices to keep food preps lively

---------------

Be prepared...and prepared to help: http://www.survivalblog.com/charity.html

Are you ready spiritually for hard times? http://www.jesusfreak.com/rapture.asp
Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2008 :  08:01:53  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by legacypac

Just visit some other banks and ask if they have extra nickels they would be shipping out. You can save them the shipping cost. Your bank is likely getting tired of the 40 box drain on thier inventory by a guy that does not pre-order coin. Really how much poker can you play - that story must get old.

Really though you ought not have to give them a story. If a guy wants nickels or pennies that's his business. If they don't want to sell you any that's theirs. But they ask at the banks either because they just want to strike up a conversation or they are nosey. Next they will be asking you why you want to withdraw cash.

All posts either by the members, moderators, and the administration of http://realcent.forumco.com are for your edification and amusement only. It is not the intent of realcent.forumco.com or its host to provide investment, medical, matrimonial, legal, security or tax advice and nothing posted here should be considered to be so. All rights reserved.

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2008 :  13:17:24  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
Yes, no stories are required. People can tell when you are lying, and I want my banks to trust me. Large amounts of coin confuse some tellers. Some tellers have no idea how many nickels or pennies in a box, or they count the rolls carefully one by one. I now count and compute coin way faster then many tellers - I just look for distinctive 3/4/3 patterns in the elastic held blocks, multiply the $25 and $100 boxes, and think of pennies in $5 blocks and nickels in $20 blocks.

Teller confusion means that several times I've been handed more coin then I paid for - I always double check the count and settle the discrepancy right there. It is the right thing to do.

I often get asked why I want to buy so much coin and sometimes in a new bank I lead my request off with: "I collect coins, can you sell me all the pennies and nickels you can spare". If pressed I say that I sort them and sell the "old" ones "on ebay" or "to Americans online". Tellers in Canada just nod their heads and sell it to me because everyone knows that Americans will buy anything on ebay! Occasionally I'll say I'm building a coin collection for my kid (also true because the future kids will get my coins).

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

simplicitycounts
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
535 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2008 :  14:18:21  Show Profile Send simplicitycounts a Private Message
Hegacy, I like the part about Americans will buy anything on ebay :) I have the same strategy, I just tell them that I am sorting out the old ones. Most people just think I'm crazy and don't think twice about selling coin.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

139 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2008 :  14:35:41  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
speaking of cuba..i just got 2 cuban centennial quarters(1953).
they are 90% and minted in philly? weird?
Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2008 :  16:59:27  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
I bought another $100 box of nickels today but they had to pack them in a quarters box.

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

moboman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2555 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2008 :  18:20:13  Show Profile Send moboman a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ardent Listener

I bought another $100 box of nickels today but they had to back them in a quarters box.

that's how my bank is, they always have quarter boxes. They never have penny, dime, or nickel boxes...

I picked up $45 in CWR's today, in a shoebox!

"99% of all lawyers give the rest of them a bad name"

Edited by - moboman on 07/08/2008 18:22:26
Go to Top of Page

daviscfad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1664 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2008 :  19:44:22  Show Profile Send daviscfad a Private Message
quote:
Tellers in Canada just nod their heads and sell it to me because everyone knows that Americans will buy anything on ebay!

thats awesome haha

I bought a box of 100 today no problem my way.

Inquiring minds want to know
Go to Top of Page

daviscfad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1664 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2008 :  19:57:26  Show Profile Send daviscfad a Private Message
went through my change and pulled out 110 dollars in quarters. figured i will go tomorrow and purchase some more nickels.

Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2008 :  20:06:59  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by daviscfad

went through my change and pulled out 110 dollars in quarters. figured i will go tomorrow and purchase some more nickels.

That can become a nasty habit.

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

daviscfad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1664 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2008 :  20:27:16  Show Profile Send daviscfad a Private Message
quote:

That can become a nasty habit.

haha
I never see the statehood quarters going any where. Might as well spend on something with a little bit of value. Maybe in 300 years my circulated quarters will be worth .28 cents. I started hoarding the pre 83 LMC's but so much work. and nickels have 75% copper so i will work with that until something better comes along. "which I dont see happening"

Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2008 :  00:22:24  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
Pennies are work - but they have a real and immediate market over face value.

US Nickels are easier to save but no market yet and no market will develop until they are scarce (maybe sub 50%?) in circulation. No real rise in value to approximate melt value until they fall to maybe 15% or less in circulation. That will require these three events:

1. the debasement of the nickel (changing the metal composition)
2. Combination of hobby, commercial and official government action pulling the CuNi out of circulation
3. Flooding new steel (or whatever) nickels into circulation.

Other scenarios like "dropping a zero" on the fiat money are far fetched or far off. I'm not trying to discourage hoarding nickels - and I hoard them in quantity myself - but I am just trying to be realistic.

Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2