Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Copper Penny Bullion Investing
 A fun test for your 1982s
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mickeyman
Penny Pincher Member

Canada
243 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2008 :  21:01:32  Show Profile Send mickeyman a Private Message
When Canada first switched to zinc cents we had some fun playing with them. You may find this to be a fun way to separate your zinc from copper 1982s.

You will need

one heatproof container (if you have only a few pennies to test, you can use an ashtray) and a glass for storage
a blowtorch
tongs or needle-nosed pliers for holding the pennies
any safety gear you may think appropriate (we did this in the kitchen and nobody died)

Directions

Fire up the blowtorch. Pick up one penny with the tongs and hold in the flame. You should do this over the ashtray because if the penny is zinc the results may be spectacular.
If the penny is copper, it will glow, possibly red-hot. You can hold it for as long as you like in the torch, no permanent harm will result. When satisfied, place it in the glass.
If the penny is zinc, there will be very little to deposit in the ashtray. Usually you have about half of the empty copper shell. It's copper, so you might as well keep it.

After the copper has cooled off, you can brush the carbon film away. Your copper pennies may look completely revitalized. And you will have a few less zincs to take to the bank.

Not all who wander are lost.

Centsearcher
Penny Pincher Member

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2008 :  21:07:46  Show Profile Send Centsearcher a Private Message
lol...sounds fun, but until I can get a cent for the copper shell i think I'll stick with my bank drops

idk, might try it just for kicks...

--Misplaced Numismatist--

Democracy: The only system where any two idiots can out-vote a genius

Go to Top of Page

misteroman
Administrator

USA
2565 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2008 :  10:37:09  Show Profile Send misteroman a Private Message
I used to sell those High temp butane lighters,The ones they show on ebay melting pennies.Found out quick the difference when show potential customers.Zinc would be gone in 10-15 seconds.
D

Buying CU cents!!!! Paying 1.2 unlimited amounts wanted. Can pick up if near Ohio area.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.18 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2