Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Tracking Threads Only
 Nickel sorting percentages and buying reports #1
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 18

mickeyman
Penny Pincher Member

Canada
243 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  20:48:43  Show Profile Send mickeyman a Private Message
33 rolls Canadian nickels

244 .999 Ni (18.5%)

Not all who wander are lost.
Go to Top of Page

Steiner
Penny Collector Member

Canada
278 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2008 :  01:06:33  Show Profile Send Steiner a Private Message
$100 of nickels about $11 Pure Ni look like things are going down :(

Steiner

Steiner
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2008 :  00:54:26  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
I know most nickel sorting is Canadian nickels, but I have a really hard time getting very many of those to sort. Some of us still occasionally sort some American nickels. Tonight I sorted a bag of $60 I got for face value from some guy at one of my coin clubs. I generally keep all pre-60's. Out of 1200 nickels only 142 were not keepers.

29 Silver War nickels - 17 of those were 45-S.
38-P - 5
38-D - 2
38-S - 6
39-P - 25
39-D - 2
39-S - 39 - Just 1 shy of a roll!

I still have to go back and check the appropriate dates for doubled dies and over mint marks.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Now selling Copper pennies. 1.6x plus shipping. Limited amounts available.
Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2008 :  02:35:37  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HoardCopperByTheTon

I know most nickel sorting is Canadian nickels, but I have a really hard time getting very many of those to sort. Some of us still occasionally sort some American nickels. Tonight I sorted a bag of $60 I got for face value from some guy at one of my coin clubs. I generally keep all pre-60's. Out of 1200 nickels only 142 were not keepers.

29 Silver War nickels - 17 of those were 45-S.
38-P - 5
38-D - 2
38-S - 6
39-P - 25
39-D - 2
39-S - 39 - Just 1 shy of a roll!

I still have to go back and check the appropriate dates for doubled dies and over mint marks.

I got to join your coin club. I've only found three silver war nicks (in Canada mind you) in who knows how many rolls. I'm dumping the steel 50% of what I buy.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2008 :  15:54:28  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
I would be happy to sign you up. I am actually president of my coin club. The club even gives an incentive to members for signing up new members.. a silver half dollar!

Of course this group was much nicer than what I normally get when I search nickels. Usually I am lucky to get one silver nickel every 2 boxes, and I never get any of those early mintmarked coins. I do pretty good on Canadian nickels when I can find them though. Almost all the ones I get are .999 and I hardly ever get a steel one.. except for the occasional 45.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Now selling Copper pennies. 1.6x plus shipping. Limited amounts available.
Go to Top of Page

TenBears
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2008 :  09:14:34  Show Profile Send TenBears a Private Message
I sorted a box on Tuesday and found a number of pre-1960. No silver this time. So, I get another silver skunk patch to go with my growing collection of skunk patches. However, there was a 1934 Indian in the box in fine condition. These are the only wild Indians I seem to be able to find.

"Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is not baying after what you can't have. Rich is having the time to do what you want to do. Rich is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells. Rich is not owing any money to anybody, and not spending what you haven't got." Robert Ruark

there are too wild Indians...
there are too wild Indians...-----still taunted

Go to Top of Page

WheatieFan
Penny Pincher Member

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2008 :  12:20:46  Show Profile Send WheatieFan a Private Message
I sort american nickels, about $100/week. I don't keep detailed records of my sorting, but I get about one silver war nickel per box, and 20 or so pre-60s. Also get a few canadian nickels (usually older ones) and 5cent euros. My jefferson nickel album still has some holes that I'm trying to fill, mostly the key dates and s-mints. I've found one buffalo nickel, a nice condition 1936.

WheatieFan

Edited by - WheatieFan on 07/17/2008 12:27:40
Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2008 :  11:28:13  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
My order came for 4 boxes of nickels... freshly rolled from CDI and 4 mint fresh penny boxes! Don't need to crack them open to know they are all steel.

Offered to help load up the coin in the vault and therefore got to rummage through the coin locker myself (such fun!). Left all that steel for some other customers and got a box of CWR nickels and 3 boxes of CWR pennies instead. Have not sorted yet, but they look "normal".

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

TenBears
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2008 :  08:20:06  Show Profile Send TenBears a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by TenBears

I sorted a box on Tuesday and found a number of pre-1960. No silver this time. So, I get another silver skunk patch to go with my growing collection of skunk patches. However, there was a 1934 Indian in the box in fine condition. These are the only wild Indians I seem to be able to find.

Regarding my previous, there were 21 pre-60s in the box, including the Indian. Also, there was a "The History Channel Club" token in with one of the rolls. The token has an eagle under "The History Channel Club" on one side, and the other has the Liberty Bell in between 17 and 76.

"Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is not baying after what you can't have. Rich is having the time to do what you want to do. Rich is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells. Rich is not owing any money to anybody, and not spending what you haven't got." Robert Ruark

Go to Top of Page

Gr33nday43

Uzbekistan
10 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2008 :  00:42:14  Show Profile  Send Gr33nday43 a Yahoo! Message Send Gr33nday43 a Private Message
I usually get 1 War nickel per box, most I've ever got was 4 in one roll, the rest were skunks.
Go to Top of Page

JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

669 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2008 :  21:16:34  Show Profile Send JerrySpringer a Private Message
Nice run today. I used the bank that was skunking me on pennies lately for a $100 box of nickels. I found a silver 1945 P nickel and four, yes 4, Indian Buffalo nickels. I could make out a '1929' outline on one of them. The rest are worn. Found a few 1939 nickels and many 1941,1946, and assorted 1950's. This new source for nickels looks like a keeper. I think that they are sourcing their rolls from the squeeze dump that is going on for people emptying their piggy banks for gasoline money.
Go to Top of Page

TenBears
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2008 :  21:18:50  Show Profile Send TenBears a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by JerrySpringer

Nice run today. I used the bank that was skunking me on pennies lately for a $100 box of nickels. I found a silver 1945 P nickel and four, yes 4, Indian Buffalo nickels. I could make out a '1929' outline on one of them. The rest are worn. Found a few 1939 nickels and many 1941,1946, and assorted 1950's. This new source for nickels looks like a keeper. I think that they are sourcing their rolls from the squeeze dump that is going on for people emptying their piggy banks for gasoline money.

That was an excellent run on Buffalo. I have never found so many grazing together in one box.

Go to Top of Page

JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

669 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2008 :  21:45:00  Show Profile Send JerrySpringer a Private Message
Too many in one Brinks box to be a random luck, eh? I need to visit that bank branch again soon.
Go to Top of Page

TenBears
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2008 :  22:20:34  Show Profile Send TenBears a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by JerrySpringer

Too many in one Brinks box to be a random luck, eh? I need to visit that bank branch again soon.

Sounds like you got the benefit of someone's old coin jar. I would certainly go back to that well soon.

Go to Top of Page

Bluegill
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1964 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2008 :  20:21:00  Show Profile Send Bluegill a Private Message
Just finished hand sorting 4 CWI boxes and $272 in CWR.

The CWR gave me;
10 dimes
11 pennies (6 were Cu)
2 Bahaman 5 cent pieces
1 Brazil 5 cent piece
1 war nickel
33 Canadian (6 .999, 22 CuNi, 5 Fe)

The CWI boxes gave me;
1 Bahaman 5 cent piece
1 5 cent Euro
1 Holland American Line Token with a 5 on it
5 war nickels
44 Canadian (18 .999, 22 CuNi, 4 Fe)
And a '37 Buffalo with a very readable date and good detail.

Go to Top of Page

psi
Penny Collector Member

Canada
399 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2008 :  23:45:53  Show Profile Send psi a Private Message
10 rolls canadian
88 ni incl 4 y.e (22%)
Go to Top of Page

TenBears
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2008 :  00:00:07  Show Profile Send TenBears a Private Message
Bluegill, you had a good nickel sort.

Today's box of nickels was very interesting. First and foremost, I found a 1943 P. So, no skunk patch for me. In addition, the box had another 23 pre-60s, one of which was a 38. The box also yielded just a little better than $10 in Westward Journey nickels. I don't keep the 2006 WJs. Finally, and here is the interesting part, I found a Swiss 20 rappen piece, a French 10 centime, and a Mexican 50 something piece. This is the most variety in foreign coinage I have ever come across. Also, there was a 1998 zincoln in one of the rolls. It was a fun box.

Go to Top of Page

Steiner
Penny Collector Member

Canada
278 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2008 :  21:15:09  Show Profile Send Steiner a Private Message
$90 Canadian nickels 13.3 % pure Ni.

Steiner

Steiner
Go to Top of Page

Bluegill
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1964 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2008 :  17:32:03  Show Profile Send Bluegill a Private Message
Sorted 4 boxes(3 CWI, 1 Brinks) and $200 in CWR.

The CWR gave me;
1 '63 Portugese 2.5 Escudo CuNi coin.
21 Canadian (7 .999, 12 CuNi, 2 Fe)

The boxes gave me;
4 war nickels
43 Canadian (5 .999, 34 CuNi, 4 Fe)
1 dateless buffalo

Edited by - Bluegill on 07/31/2008 17:32:31
Go to Top of Page

TenBears
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2008 :  08:07:27  Show Profile Send TenBears a Private Message
Silver skunk on box yesterday.

Go to Top of Page

Steiner
Penny Collector Member

Canada
278 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  17:16:03  Show Profile Send Steiner a Private Message
$60 Canadian nickel 16.6% Ni

Steiner

Steiner
Go to Top of Page

Steiner
Penny Collector Member

Canada
278 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2008 :  21:17:13  Show Profile Send Steiner a Private Message
$160 Canadian sorted 11% pure Ni.

Steiner

Steiner
Go to Top of Page

JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

669 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2008 :  16:29:16  Show Profile Send JerrySpringer a Private Message
$100 CWRs sorted the other day.

1 1942 non-silver Jefferson
1 Buffalo that looks like it was bead blasted, hence detail & date are lost
3 pre-'81 Canadian nickels
1 1905 V nickel ( 2nd one I found in the wild)

1 nice condition '73 Jefferson with steps still visible on back also found. I find AU quality nickels from pre 1980's on occasion. Someone either emptied their coin jars, or busted open a BU roll or a mint set recently. I found a 1940 like that a few weeks back. Coins just do not stay unscratched and shiny for 68 years randomly...

Go to Top of Page

JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

669 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2008 :  16:36:57  Show Profile Send JerrySpringer a Private Message

quote:
Sounds like you got the benefit of someone's old coin jar. I would certainly go back to that well soon.

I go to that well tomorrow. I will go to the other bank across the street from it for more pennies too. That is the location where I found the Indian Head last week. So far, I pulled 7 Buffalo nickels from the weekly spot. I swear, some banks must get certain coin drop routes for their $100 boxes. The other branch of the same bank has not yielded any Buffalos from its Brinks boxes. These branches are about 10 miles apart. Maybe two different Brinks routes and two different source areas for the plastic rolled nickels?
Go to Top of Page

Bluegill
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1964 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2008 :  17:33:02  Show Profile Send Bluegill a Private Message
Finished up sorting 9 boxes (8 CWI, 1 Brinks) and $20 in CWR this week.

5 war nickels
29 Canadian ( 4 .999, 24 CuNi, 1 Fe)
1 1966 Swiss 20 Rappen
2 S mint's with the cameo finish (what's left of it), a '77 and a '79

Hardly seemed worth it... But better than the skunkin' I got last week with 5 CWI boxes.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 18 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2