Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins
 Anyone hoarding nickels here?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CoinHunter53562
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1805 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2008 :  20:56:20  Show Profile Send CoinHunter53562 a Private Message
I see alot of talk about pennies, but wondering if anyone does nickels instead or maybe both? I am thinking of buying a box or two of nickels, but not sure what to look for other than silver war nickels and Buffalo nickels. Any advice?

My hobby: collecting real money 1 copper cent or nickel at a time.

aloneibreak
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
672 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2008 :  21:00:06  Show Profile Send aloneibreak a Private Message
i know a few on here hoard nickels. i save every one i get but i dont go out and buy boxes. i think they'll be time to buy them before they're changed/discontinued. im concentrating on pennies.

definately save the war nicks and the buffs. i save anything pre 60. they seem to have a little numismatic value when sold by the roll on ebay.

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

misteroman
Administrator

USA
2565 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2008 :  00:55:05  Show Profile Send misteroman a Private Message
I save every New Buffalo nickel as well.I think everyone else is too as I never see them in circulation around here.
Derek

Buying CU cents!!!! Paying 1.2 unlimited amounts wanted. Can pick up if near Ohio area.
Go to Top of Page

Hirbonzig
Penny Collector Member

USA
451 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2008 :  09:03:10  Show Profile Send Hirbonzig a Private Message
Just like aloneibreak I put away the nickels I get in change. I also save pre 1960 nickels,war and buffalos. I did buy a box of nickels when nickel was twice the price it is now, but after nickel crashed I cashed in the nickels to buy halves and cents to look over.
Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2008 :  17:59:51  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
I got a ton of them. Only advice is to brace up your floors first.

Realcent.forumco.com disclosure. Please read.
All posts either by the members, moderators, and the administration of http://realcent.forumco.com are for your edification and amusement only. It is not the intent of realcent.forumco.com or its host to provide investment, medical, matrimonial, legal, security or tax advice and nothing posted here should be considered to be so. All rights reserved.

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

Cody8404
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
602 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2008 :  18:37:14  Show Profile Send Cody8404 a Private Message
I rarely buy a box of nickels, but the price of Silver, Gold and Copper have prompted me to eat peanut butter sandwiches for the next few weeks and but a box of nickels.

Awake, O kings of the earth! Come ye, O, come ye, with your gold and your silver, to the help of my people, to the house of the daughters of Zion, to the help of the people of the God of this Land even Jesus Christ.
Go to Top of Page

misteroman
Administrator

USA
2565 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2008 :  18:59:06  Show Profile Send misteroman a Private Message
I actually just sent a few people on ebay that had bags of Bison nickels my buy prices if they are interested.Going to put a post up in the classified as well
Derek

Buying CU cents!!!! Paying 1.2 unlimited amounts wanted. Can pick up if near Ohio area.
Go to Top of Page

wolvesdad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2008 :  21:00:42  Show Profile Send wolvesdad a Private Message
Cody, if you get bored with that diet, try some cooked rice and ketchup(especially if the ketchup is from a fastfood place...ie FREE) hahaha!!!

"May your percentages ever increase!"
Go to Top of Page

TenBears
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2008 :  21:07:01  Show Profile Send TenBears a Private Message
I occasionally sort for anything pre-1960 and Westward Journey (2004-05) nickels. Yes, I know the '06 is part of the Westward Journey series, but I don't save those. I also save the '03s as those are the last of the old style. In the last two boxes, I found a buffalo nickel and a 1944 silver war nickel.

"Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is not baying after what you can't have. Rich is having the time to do what you want to do. Rich is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells. Rich is not owing any money to anybody, and not spending what you haven't got." Robert Ruark

there are too wild Indians...
there are too wild Indians...
there are too wild Indians...-----still taunted

Go to Top of Page

Cerulean
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2008 :  13:36:16  Show Profile Send Cerulean a Private Message
I'm with you Tex, I consider the WestJourney series to be 2004 and 2005 nickels only.

Sorting Map
2010 First Finds Contest
Are you a Buffalo Hunter?
Wanna take seignorage away from the Fed? Spend *any* coins!
We cannot afford this government.
Cerulean's Standing Offer: $3/lb shipped for foreign coins
Go to Top of Page

TexasPQ
Penny Sorter Member

47 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  18:30:50  Show Profile Send TexasPQ a Private Message

How much does a box of nickels cost? Is this something banks have on hand like cents or would I have to request one?
Go to Top of Page

aloneibreak
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
672 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  18:47:41  Show Profile Send aloneibreak a Private Message
$100 for a 50 roll box of nickels. some have extra's on hand some require ordering. just depends on the bank i guess.

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

misteroman
Administrator

USA
2565 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  18:49:41  Show Profile Send misteroman a Private Message
I tried sorting a box of nickels once and almost went blind!!!!
Must be harder to see then pennies or something
Derek

Go to Top of Page

CopperHead

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  21:58:29  Show Profile Send CopperHead a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by CoinHunter53562

I see alot of talk about pennies, but wondering if anyone does nickels instead or maybe both? I am thinking of buying a box or two of nickels, but not sure what to look for other than silver war nickels and Buffalo nickels. Any advice?

Go to Top of Page

CopperHead

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  22:04:58  Show Profile Send CopperHead a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by CoinHunter53562

I have about 20 boxes or so....I stored them in a wooden cabinet when I first got them.....The weight broke through all the shelves.....now I store them in the Garage!!!!
Go to Top of Page

misteroman
Administrator

USA
2565 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  22:25:55  Show Profile Send misteroman a Private Message
Did it do it right away or did it wait until you weren't around?Buy one of those cheap shelving units from walmart that says it can hold 500lbs+ per shelf.They are pretty cheap and should be good for 2,000lbs+
Derek

Go to Top of Page

MormonMetal
Penny Pincher Member

USA
150 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  23:12:10  Show Profile Send MormonMetal a Private Message
I'm hoard a few nickels right now. Whenever I pick up pennies, I pick up a tenth of the amount of nickels. Right now I have around $80 worth or so. To me there just not as "fun" as pennies. That's the main reason I haven't stocked away more.
Go to Top of Page

pencilvanian
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2209 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2008 :  18:53:36  Show Profile Send pencilvanian a Private Message
Since nickels only have a 40% value over melt the interest in hoarding nickels just isn't there yet, kind of like where the melt value for copper pennies were in 2000, it was there but little noticed.

If you feel awkward about buying a whole box of nickels (or if you think your back isn't up to it) buy a couple of rolls at a time. The bank tellers are not likely to give you a hard time or strange looks if you buy $20 or $40 worth of nickels at a time.

Best excuse for buying so many coins-
you are a coin collector, which by rights you are, only you are collecting coins for their metal value if not their numismatic value.

Edited by - pencilvanian on 03/05/2008 18:55:19
Go to Top of Page

CoinHunter53562
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1805 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2008 :  22:20:29  Show Profile Send CoinHunter53562 a Private Message
quote:
If you feel awkward about buying a whole box of nickels (or if you think your back isn't up to it) buy a couple of rolls at a time. The bank tellers are not likely to give you a hard time or strange looks if you buy $20 or $40 worth of nickels at a time.

Best excuse for buying so many coins-
you are a coin collector, which by rights you are, only you are collecting coins for their metal value if not their numismatic value.

I have had pretty good luck getting boxes, but occassionally I get some push back from the bank. One teller told me she could give me one box of pennies but asked first if I was a business owner. She let me take one but said going forward there would be a charge. Other branches let me get a box here and there no questions asked. One told me she didnt have any but asked if I would like to order some. I got her business card and emailed her an order for 4 boxes of pennies and 2 boxes of nickels for their next delivery. She even offered to make this a standing weekly order but I told her no for now. She went out of her way to help, so just ask and dont be sheepish about it or they might react in an unfavorable way. Ask confidently like you do it all the time, and you should have good luck.

Go to Top of Page

misteroman
Administrator

USA
2565 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2008 :  22:36:22  Show Profile Send misteroman a Private Message
My wife came home tonight and proclaimed that she got 4 nickels in change tonight.I told her if anything ever happens to me I want her to put $100 in nickels away a week and someday she'll thank me
Derek

Go to Top of Page

wolvesdad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2008 :  22:55:24  Show Profile Send wolvesdad a Private Message
I pulled a couple rolls of War Nickels off of Fleabay this week. Got them at about 5-10% below silver spot price.

Guess I need to add these to my signature code

"May your percentages ever increase!"
Go to Top of Page

CoinHunter53562
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1805 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2008 :  23:05:24  Show Profile Send CoinHunter53562 a Private Message
I got through the 2 boxes of nickels today and nothing exciting to report (no silver, no buffaloes). I have roughly 5700 nickels in a container now and I am wondering if I should keep them or just go ahead and deposit them. Current melt value would put them at about $412 dollars vs. the face value of $285 roughly. Part of me says to hold on to them but part of me says to take them back and free up capital for more penny searching.

Go to Top of Page

Know Common Cents
Penny Pincher Member

195 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2008 :  22:46:27  Show Profile Send Know Common Cents a Private Message
I try to pick up a box of nickels whenever I have an extra $100 to commit to the cause. I agree with a couple of the posters here that nickels just aren't as exciting to search as cents. I keep the few boxes I have in reserve for when there's a time I need something to do. They did come in handy recently when I had a nasty bout with the latest strain of flu. Pretty much confined to home for nearly a week and looking for something to do other that watch stupid daytime TV. Mr. Thomas Jefferson just didn't seem to care whether I had to cough, blow my nose or lie down for awhile. He was always there waiting for me upon my return. Couple of warnix and a dateless Buffalo plus the usual smattering of 1940-1949 examples.

I haven't cashed in any nickels, but they retain their value (even if their purchasing power decreases each day with the fall of the US buck). Soon, 2 rolls of nickels = 1 gallon of gas. Already those same 2 rolls can even buy a gallon of Diesel. Bad. Really bad.

Here in Wisconsin, we have some of the highest property and gasoline taxes in the US. We're squeezed so much, I have to make my daughter wear penny boxes for shoes. At least she has an endless supply.
Go to Top of Page

Cerulean
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2008 :  09:54:32  Show Profile Send Cerulean a Private Message
I save all nickels 50+ years old, and I've been stashing the nickels I get in spare change. I throw all my nickel box rejects back into circulation.

Sorting Map
2010 First Finds Contest
Are you a Buffalo Hunter?
Wanna take seignorage away from the Fed? Spend *any* coins!
We cannot afford this government.
Cerulean's Standing Offer: $3/lb shipped for foreign coins
Go to Top of Page

aboxaweek
Penny Collector Member

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2008 :  17:06:09  Show Profile Send aboxaweek a Private Message
no. lets not even think about gas that high.

*HUCKABEE*
___08'____
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2