Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins
 Are U.S. nickels worth hoarding?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

85 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2007 :  12:41:05  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
Poll Question:
Are U.S. nickels worth hoarding now that their melt value has gone down to about 117%?

Results:
Yes   [65%] 51 votes
No   [32%] 25 votes
Other   [3%] 2 votes

Poll Status: Locked  »»   Total Votes: 78 counted  »»   Last Vote: 03/18/2008 01:00:13 

"The key to building wealth is to not lose money." - Warren Buffet

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2007 :  12:56:06  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
No matter what a nickel is a nickel is a nickel....Like pennies.
I say yes.

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

aloneibreak
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
672 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2007 :  14:01:47  Show Profile Send aloneibreak a Private Message
i dont get boxes from the bank to save but i keep all i receive in change and any others i come across.

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

pencilvanian
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2209 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2007 :  14:20:50  Show Profile Send pencilvanian a Private Message
Even if they go down to face value, you still end up with metal worth a nickel in the easiest form to obtain.
No need to go scrapin', no need to get your hands dirty, 5¢ worth of money for just 5¢ is still a good deal.

Who knows? Maybe copper & nickel prices will go up in the future.
Go to Top of Page

Crash
Penny Pincher Member

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2007 :  14:56:20  Show Profile Send Crash a Private Message
I don't buy them in boxes, but I've gotten to the point where I buy a couple of rolls every time I go to the bank and I save all I receive in change. I plan on doing this as long as the metal composition stays the same. Once It changes(and I'm sure it will sooner or later), I'll probably start sorting them like I do pennies for copper.
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2007 :  21:36:07  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
I will admit to buying them in boxes.. bought 5 boxes this week. I am less bullish on them now than I have been in the past. I tend not to hoard as many boxes as I used to because this ties up hoard capital that I can use for other things.. like pennies! A guy just can't have too many pennies! From a hoarding standpoint I would say they are better than paper dollars, but not as good as some other things you might hoard. Part of the fun of hoarding for me is to have a lot of something. I can get 10,000 pennies for the same cost as 2,000 nickels. Another part of the fun is playing with my hoard. I get to do that more with pennies.. then I can take the undesireable ones back to the bank (with some limits) and convert them into more pennies to play with. This is more of an active or dymanic hoarding as opposed to passive hoarding with nickels. Nickels are more of a buy and hold play. I tend to look through them when I get them just for fun, since the time to hand sort them is not warrented by the return. Another thing about hoarding is that many do it with the idea of a potential profit at some time in the future. While nickels may go up, I believe there is more potential in pennies. So I tend to use more of my meager hoard capital for pennies rather than nickels. With nickels I buy them, look through them and then either cash them in to regain my capital or sell them. I sold three boxes of brand new shiny nickels on eBay this week for a nice current gain rather than waiting and hoping they might go up more. So I would say if you are going to hoard some nickels you should try to get nice shiny new ones.. that way you have the potential numismatic play as well.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Now selling Copper pennies. 1.6x plus shipping. Limited amounts available.
Go to Top of Page

fiatboy
Administrator

912 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2007 :  22:00:30  Show Profile Send fiatboy a Private Message
What he said.

"Bart, it's not about how many stocks you have, it's about how much copper wire you can get out of the building." --- Homer Simpson
Go to Top of Page

horgad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1641 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2007 :  09:58:07  Show Profile Send horgad a Private Message
I started out hoarding nickels and still believe they are worth hoarding, but pennies are better if money and not time is what limits your hoard. If I had 0 time to sort, I would hoard 100% nickels. If I had infinite time, I would hoard 100% pennies.
Go to Top of Page

Epaphras
Penny Collector Member

USA
382 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2007 :  12:08:57  Show Profile Send Epaphras a Private Message
Ninety-five percent of my hoarding is focused on pennies. The only nickles I 'hoard' are the ones before the 70's. Numismatic will surely come into play sooner or later.
Go to Top of Page

fiatboy
Administrator

912 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2007 :  00:33:43  Show Profile Send fiatboy a Private Message
Mostly I just save pre-1960 nickels.

"Bart, it's not about how many stocks you have, it's about how much copper wire you can get out of the building." --- Homer Simpson
Go to Top of Page

Cody8404
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
602 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2008 :  12:44:51  Show Profile Send Cody8404 a Private Message
I think they are worth getting. They do, at this point, require no work unless you want to sort them for silver war nickels.

Awake, O kings of the earth! Come ye, O, come ye, with your gold and your silver, to the help of my people, to the house of the daughters of Zion, to the help of the people of the God of this Land even Jesus Christ.
Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2008 :  16:58:06  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Cody8404

I think they are worth getting. They do, at this point, require no work unless you want to sort them for silver war nickels.

Correct. Buy, take home, put away, and make a small profit, ($0.20 per roll or so), doing nothing. Just takes up space. Still $100 no matter. If it falls worth like 70% face or so then turn it into pennies. Very easy to sort for war nickels as well.

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

wheeler_dealer
Penny Collector Member

USA
402 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2008 :  11:19:22  Show Profile  Send wheeler_dealer a Yahoo! Message Send wheeler_dealer a Private Message
Nickels are much easier to come by than copper pennies. Value wise by todays standards the copper penny has much more potential being able to double your money very easily. Nickels the profit potential isn't as great(unless the are numismatics or war-silver-nickels).
IMO if you have too much capital to preserve and want to protect it for the long haul it might be a good idea to start putting away a small percentage i nickels every week. I believe the United States is one of the only countries left to use metal in their circulating currency that has a value worth more than the actual denomination, these being the copper penny and the nickel. Watch the news and you will see things are in the works to change the nickel and possibly even the zinc penny.
Very soon you may see the nickel in the nickel disappear. Then you may begin to find them as tough to find as the copper penny.
Go to Top of Page

mickeyman
Penny Pincher Member

Canada
243 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2008 :  13:43:23  Show Profile Send mickeyman a Private Message
Are you guys kidding me?? Nickels are the best thing going!!

Oh wait, this isn't a Canadian site.

Not all who wander are lost.
Go to Top of Page

aboxaweek
Penny Collector Member

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2008 :  16:01:55  Show Profile Send aboxaweek a Private Message
I would have to say no, unless you get a silver war nickle or a buffalo.

*HUCKABEE*
___08'____
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

139 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2008 :  18:56:51  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
i save all pre 60's nickles. but focus mostly on pennies and to complete my type set collection.
Go to Top of Page

WilliamC
Penny Collector Member

USA
471 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2008 :  19:01:50  Show Profile Send WilliamC a Private Message
For now I want the cash to use for keeping the pennies going.

Nickels I just don't see as being worth hoarding quite yet.

I'd rather buy more silver than a big amount of nickels.

Sorting In Northwest Mississippi
Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2008 :  19:35:06  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
I don't regret the ton of nickels I'm hoarding. Sure, if I knew then what I know now I would have bought more silver with the money. But like the 90% silver I hoarded out of circulation back in the 60s and early 70s, I feel their day will come too.

Realcent.forumco.com disclosure. Please read.
All posts either by the members, moderators, and the administration of http://realcent.forumco.com are for your edification and amusement only. It is not the intent of realcent.forumco.com or its host to provide investment, medical, matrimonial, legal, security or tax advice and nothing posted here should be considered to be so. All rights reserved.

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

pencilvanian
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2209 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2008 :  20:24:33  Show Profile Send pencilvanian a Private Message
I view nickels as a 'sleeper' metal play-
kind of where the humble copper cent was back in 1983, an overlooked potential waiting for just the right time to be recognized and valued.

If the metal nickel goes up, the US Nickel goes up in melt value,
If copper goes up, the US Nickel goes up in melt value,
two metals push up a US Nickel's melt value can only help its future reslae price.

Even if melting US Nickels isn't practical or legal, there could be a resale value for nickels as-is. Few try to melt the silver war nickels and prefer to sell them as numismatic items or as a "cheap" silver coin. It could happen to the regular lickels too.

Every dog has its day and given enough time US Nickels will find their demand and hopefully a resale value of double face value.
Go to Top of Page

misteroman
Administrator

USA
2565 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2008 :  00:44:48  Show Profile Send misteroman a Private Message
I think that nickels will be available for much time to come.I also save every one before 59 and have done so for the last 20 yrs.Maybe someday it could be a better deal,but for now pre 82's seem best
Derek

Buying CU cents!!!! Paying 1.2 unlimited amounts wanted. Can pick up if near Ohio area.
Go to Top of Page

Tourney64
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1035 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2008 :  11:09:01  Show Profile Send Tourney64 a Private Message
I say no - US Nickel.
1. I don't think there will be melt value in the nickel due to it's composition (75% copper, 25% nickel). You will probably only get the copper value or the nickel value for a nickel, but not both - Copper = 3 cents, and Nickel = 4 cents, vs. the cost of 5 cents.
2. I also don't think there are as many people that collect nickels vs. pennies - numismatic value very low.
3. Has anyone in this forum been getting good counts of nickels that have numismatic value (Buffalo, Silver War, V nickels, 1950)?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

15 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2008 :  12:19:15  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
If you're saving for retirement, and can't get enough copper, I'd say saving nickels is a way safer bet than a lot of stocks!

"Swap Your Trash & Add To Your Stash" Exchange Your Zinc Pennies For Copper Pennies By The Pound
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

85 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2008 :  21:19:10  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
One of my banks told me this morning that I can order boxes of pennies but not nickels anymore.

"The key to building wealth is to not lose money." - Warren Buffet
Go to Top of Page

fiatboy
Administrator

912 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2008 :  21:23:49  Show Profile Send fiatboy a Private Message
quote:
One of my banks told me this morning that I can order boxes of pennies but not nickels anymore.

The same thing happened to me two days ago. Anyone else unable to order nickels?

Go to Top of Page

aboxaweek
Penny Collector Member

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2008 :  22:12:34  Show Profile Send aboxaweek a Private Message
for the jefferson nickle set, all i need is the 1950. Just bought a 1945 and found a 1967 just need the 1950.

*HUCKABEE*
___08'____
Go to Top of Page

CoinHunter53562
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1805 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2008 :  23:19:24  Show Profile Send CoinHunter53562 a Private Message
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The same thing happened to me two days ago. Anyone else unable to order nickels?

I picked up two boxes from the bank yesterday and the teller asked if I wanted a standing order of two of these per week along with 4 boxes of pennies. I dont get too excited about nickels but around here they seem to be in ample supply still. I am surprised that they are saying that you cant order them.

My hobby: collecting real money 1 copper cent or nickel at a time.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2