Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Copper Penny Bullion Investing
 How are you opening your pennies
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

TXBullion
Penny Collector Member

374 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2010 :  13:15:44  Show Profile Send TXBullion a Private Message
I wanted to see how you guys are getting your pennies open from rolls, I have a slightly different method for the paper and plastic. I am wondering because I was thinking about the guys who have multiple ryedales. Can you get the pennies out of the rolls substantially faster than one ryedale can go through them. I just know there has to be a really good, fast, efficient way to get them out of the rolls. I know everyone has their tricks , would anyone care to share?

Corsair
Penny Hoarding Member

811 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2010 :  13:21:23  Show Profile  Send Corsair a Yahoo! Message Send Corsair a Private Message
Since I'm a hand sorter, I don't really have to worry about that need for speed - yet. Currently, if it's a plastic roll, I tear one of the flaps that stick out down to where the coins start, then squeeze. They fall right out. If it's paper, I find the seam and unroll it, as close to the ends as possible. That way, only one or two coins are still stuck when the rest fall out, and those are easy to poke out.

I've heard that with the paper rolls, it's easier to take a pair of needle nose pliers and grab the crimped end and pull it off. I've never tried that method, but from those on the forum, I hear good things.

So long, Realcent 1. Come visit us at Realcent.org!
Go to Top of Page

beauanderos
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2408 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2010 :  13:24:58  Show Profile Send beauanderos a Private Message
The fastest method I just recently perfected requires that the penny boxes be left where it is hot (Fresno is perfect for this). If the wrappers are hot, the pennies slide right out as opposed to if they've been keep indoors with air conditioning. I use scissors to cut my plastic rolls in half (aiming between two zincs so you don't accidentally screw up a wheatie) then pick up a roll from the factory end and dangle it momentarily upright. Half the time the pennies slide right out, the other times just nudge them with your fingertip. If the wrappers are cold, on the other hand, you really have to push to get them started. Big difference, much faster when warmed up. Wouldn't recommend the microwave, though

Hoard now and hold on!

http://coppermillions.blogspot.com/
http://wherewillyoubein2012.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2010 :  13:32:12  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
The really good efficient way is called the Rollcracker 1000. Even I don't have one of those. I can liberate the pennies at about twice the rate 1 Ryedale can eat them. For paper I usually just crack em like eggs on the steel plate workbench and dump. For plastic I bend the end with one thumb and slide em out.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Now selling Copper pennies. 1.6x plus shipping. Limited amounts available.
Go to Top of Page

thogey
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1617 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2010 :  13:44:37  Show Profile Send thogey a Private Message
I pinch them bewtween my butt cheeks and then chip them off, ten at a time.

Come to the new and improved realcent: http://realcent.org
Go to Top of Page

rosco
Penny Collector Member

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2010 :  13:46:19  Show Profile Send rosco a Private Message
I use a small end nipper 4" HEAD ABOUT 3/8, WITH SPRING OPENING and soft grips. I grab the roll an rip the end off, then dump into cardboard sandwich tray. Also now using a 4" magnifying lamp to see dates clearly.

That's a HAND SORTER set of tricks, About $175.00 copper saved.

Old Geezer a HAND Sorter
Go to Top of Page

rosco
Penny Collector Member

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2010 :  13:49:08  Show Profile Send rosco a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by thogey

Do you use your Nose as chisel

Old Geezer a HAND Sorter
Go to Top of Page

PennyPauper
Penny Collector Member

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2010 :  13:52:38  Show Profile Send PennyPauper a Private Message
Best method I've found is,if your real lucky you can talk one of your kids into it :)
If you can't I just get some stress releived by cracking them in half and shaking them,the rolls not kids.

Available again! $100 of Copper Lincoln Memorials for $145 shipped.
Go to Top of Page

aloneibreak
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
672 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2010 :  14:19:44  Show Profile Send aloneibreak a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by PennyPauper

Best method I've found is,if your real lucky you can talk one of your kids into it :)
If you can't I just get some stress releived by cracking them in half and shaking them,the rolls not kids.

thats the way i do it!

bust em on each other or on the table and push em out

nothin neat about it !

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

TXBullion
Penny Collector Member

374 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2010 :  14:29:22  Show Profile Send TXBullion a Private Message
Ok, for the guys who break em like eggs, dont the pennies go everywhere? The slide method on plastic works good but when you do bulk it really takes a toll on you. Good tip beauandros. I will keep that in mind. Im just trying to see if there is a way to open rolls 2 or 3 times as fast as ryedale processes because that would be efficient

I do cut paper rolls in half with a box cutter them use a permanent marker to push them out.

Plastic rolls I cut in half and then throw into a bucket after the rolls are cut. Then I take the bucket and start shaking it, then stir it a little and shake some more. Most the clear plastic rolls come towards the top empty. Then you refine one more time pulling out the remainder of the plastic.

I know it sounds silly but I believe it is the fastest method and sometimes your finger tips start hurting when pushing them out so you need to find an alternative. I know they have paint mixers for 5 gallon buckets and suppose you could do that if you made the investment. I also tried bulk cutting with a machete but no luck as its tricky, plus like beauandros says, you got to try and hit the zincs so you dont scratch your coin.

Just wanted to share that as Its really kind of cool to think everyone has their own manufacturing process and there is no standard or class that teaches it so you learn on your own.

Thogey, I havent tried your method yet.... Is it fast?
Go to Top of Page

thogey
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1617 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2010 :  14:37:31  Show Profile Send thogey a Private Message
No it's not...

But you really get a feel for the heavily weighted copper rolls.

and it's harder to dump the zincs.

Come to the new and improved realcent: http://realcent.org
Go to Top of Page

dakota1955
1000+ Penny Miser Member

2212 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2010 :  15:09:09  Show Profile  Send dakota1955 a Yahoo! Message Send dakota1955 a Private Message
I don't know how to open rolls mine all come in $50 bags.
Go to Top of Page

TXBullion
Penny Collector Member

374 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2010 :  15:16:12  Show Profile Send TXBullion a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by dakota1955

I don't know how to open rolls mine all come in $50 bags.

For you guys that are getting the bags, are you only able to take what they give you from the branch counting machine (limited) or order them that way?

That would also solve my issue.....
Go to Top of Page

TheJonasCollegeFund
Penny Collector Member

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2010 :  15:18:59  Show Profile Send TheJonasCollegeFund a Private Message
For paper rolls (string) I have a little knife like tool. Very small blade so it's not going to stick in me too far! Anyway, I just use it to cut near the ends of each roll to get the paper torn then just peel back the paper. Usually there will be 1 or 2 pennies left at each end. The rest will be in my hand. It's easier than your fingernails. Now for the plastic I just bend them in half until they break open. Then shake 'em out.

MD Totals: Started Aug16th.(Updated Sept10th) 819 clad/cu coins/$41.13
Quarters-78
Dimes-122+1 silver roosie (1957)
Nickels-81 (56d,53d)
Copper Pennies-147
Zinc Pennies-386
Wheats-5 (36,36,46,46d,50d)
Go to Top of Page

Beau
Penny Pincher Member

216 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2010 :  15:22:08  Show Profile Send Beau a Private Message
thogey,
LOL
that depends on what your weight I guess or I got all zincs.

they sure are hard to dump.
Go to Top of Page

PennyPauper
Penny Collector Member

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2010 :  15:27:29  Show Profile Send PennyPauper a Private Message
I crack them over my sorting table so don't have to worry much.The cwr I get I just push with my thumb on one end and shake the last ones out,can sometimes go two handed.Plastic ones are tougher,that when I call for reenforcments,or just pinch one end and twist the roll and push with the thumb and shake.You can go through several boxes quickly if you open them beforehand.
Once you find a rhythem you can be looking for wheats and not focus on how many there is left to open.

Available again! $100 of Copper Lincoln Memorials for $145 shipped.
Go to Top of Page

beauanderos
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2408 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2010 :  16:21:40  Show Profile Send beauanderos a Private Message
TXBullion... I was wondering if stirring would work like that. I might have to try it and see if your method seems faster. Thanks for the heads up!

Hoard now and hold on!

http://coppermillions.blogspot.com/
http://wherewillyoubein2012.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

cwgii
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
924 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2010 :  16:27:35  Show Profile Send cwgii a Private Message
knife, on both plastic and paper. in the middle. seperate the halves, then shake.
though i do agree with the 'warmed up' plastic. they get so loosey -goosey that half the time they fall apart when you pick them up.
use the paper to start fires, plastic in packing things.... think recycled, think less of they damn styrofoam peanuts.
Go to Top of Page

slickeast
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2533 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2010 :  18:30:42  Show Profile Send slickeast a Private Message
I just cut the top off of the coinlok bags and pour. I do have to prerun them thru a coin counter. I use 2 scancoin counters that run 2500 cpm each. When I did open rolls, I cut a slit on the sides and opened them. You don't have to cut all the way thru. Just score the paper or plastic. I set up a jig that I can lay 50 rolls in and score a whole box at one time.

You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be.......SLICK

Go to Top of Page

TXBullion
Penny Collector Member

374 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2010 :  18:38:43  Show Profile Send TXBullion a Private Message
Slickeast, do you have picture of that jig?
Go to Top of Page

slickeast
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2533 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2010 :  19:24:21  Show Profile Send slickeast a Private Message
no picture, I just use 2 heavy objects on a work bench. Full boxes of coins will work, fill some boxes with coppers and use those. just adjust the distance apart for the number of rolls. If you want, make 2 or more rows and score more than 1 roll with each swipe of your utility/ box cutter. Just use a new blade and don't cut so deep that you hit the coins.

You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be.......SLICK

Go to Top of Page

rodebaugh
Penny Collector Member

USA
377 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2010 :  21:32:19  Show Profile Send rodebaugh a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by thogey

lmao

http://rodebaugh.ecrater.com/
Go to Top of Page

scentavoh

2 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2010 :  01:45:20  Show Profile Send scentavoh a Private Message
hand sorter here. i open the plastic brinks rolls pretty quickly without cutting them.

1. set the roll about 10 coins from the end on the side of your index finger and place your thumb on top of the last few coins on the end of the roll

2. bend the end of the roll downward until the coins start to go diagonal and fall out of the weapper

3. inch your hand towards the other end of the roll until all of them fall out

the plastic wrappers are intact and can be reused. i put my canadians and wheats into these and they fit nicely into their original boxes!
Go to Top of Page

cu baker

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2010 :  14:54:54  Show Profile Send cu baker a Private Message
By hand,seem everything i do good is by hand!
Go to Top of Page

2old
Penny Pincher Member

188 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2010 :  11:08:39  Show Profile Send 2old a Private Message
I score the plastic or paper with a small utility knife razor blade by placing one end on the table and scoring the roll with my other hand. Simply bend it over and all coins fall out. I can keep up with the rydale using this method.
Go to Top of Page

JobIII
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2010 :  11:34:22  Show Profile Send JobIII a Private Message
Hi Tx,

When i'm breaking rolls of NF string. I open about 4-8 boxes and stand the rolls on a table next to me. I have a bucket for the unsorted pennies and a bag for the paper.

with the unopened rolls on my right, bucket in front of me and bag on my left. I'll hold 4 or 5 rolls in my right hand and 1 in my left to start cracking them together. Depending on how you work you can either split the one in your left or the all the ones in your right hand. Then simply bend, and push the coins into the bucket, This doesn't make a mess for me at all, so i tend to watch tv in no or little light. Though i will note, it's a good idea to have some light and check the bucket for bits of paper that will come off the rolls as these will often jam the ryedale.

If you have a partially filled 5 gal bucket or kitty litter bucket, these work well to crack NF string rolls. Again it may take a little practice, because you're trying to split the roll not send pennies all over your house .

Selling Copper cents. $0 FV available at 1.4xFV. Also interested in trading for wheat pennies and other coins Please pm me for requests or inquiries.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.24 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2