Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins
 Nickels Worth Saving
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

starwarsgeek171
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2008 :  19:34:07  Show Profile Send starwarsgeek171 a Private Message
As you are aware, I'm new to this forum. I'm curious as to which nickels I should be saving. I've heard some people saying they just buy boxes and put them away, while others speak of saving only pre- 60's. Is one type of nickel better than another (besides the obvious silvers) Thank you.

n/a
deleted

16 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2008 :  19:48:01  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
1946-2008 Nickels are currently worth about 6.2 cents in metal content.
1942-1945 Nickels are worth a lot more.

This info is available at You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2008 :  19:51:59  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
I'm saving them all. I guess some feel saving the pre-1960s will have collector's value now or someday. I don't worry about that at this time since I'm hoarding them for their metal value.

Realcent.forumco.com disclosure. Please read.
All posts either by the members, moderators, and the administration of http://realcent.forumco.com are for your edification and amusement only. It is not the intent of realcent.forumco.com or its host to provide investment, medical, matrimonial, legal, security or tax advice and nothing posted here should be considered to be so. All rights reserved.

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2008 :  20:07:07  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
I keep them all for metal value. All are unsorted as far as dates go. Do that when metal value is high enough to warrant selling.

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2008 :  21:48:20  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
I tend to save pre-60's and also BU rolls. They have the same metal content as the other nickels but this way you also have the numismatic play as well. We can all only hoard so many nickels, so they might as well be the best ones we can get. I sort through them and trade the common dates in on fresh boxes. By cycling my nickel hoard I have been able to come across more silver war nickels and even a few Bison/Indian nickels.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Now selling Copper pennies. 1.6x plus shipping. Limited amounts available.
Go to Top of Page

Epaphras
Penny Collector Member

USA
382 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2008 :  22:09:03  Show Profile Send Epaphras a Private Message
I just finished sorting a box today. I found to war nickels and a buffalo (a first for me). I save pre 70's. You will notice quickly that the Mint got crazy in 64.
Go to Top of Page

fiatboy
Administrator

912 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2008 :  22:10:43  Show Profile Send fiatboy a Private Message
I only save pre-1913 nickels.

"Bart, it's not about how many stocks you have, it's about how much copper wire you can get out of the building." --- Homer Simpson
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2008 :  23:35:17  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
fiatboy.. you should save the 1913 nickels too.. as long as they are V nickels.

Yeah, the mint cranked it up in 64. I think there are some good varieties for that year if you want to look closely. Congrats on getting that first Buffalo Epaphras.. that is about as tough as finding an Indian cent.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Go to Top of Page

starwarsgeek171
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2008 :  07:50:09  Show Profile Send starwarsgeek171 a Private Message
I think I like HoardCopper's "cycling for the best" idea. Thanks for the posts.

starwarsgeek171
Go to Top of Page

Hirbonzig
Penny Collector Member

USA
451 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2008 :  07:53:06  Show Profile Send Hirbonzig a Private Message
I have 1 unopened box squirrled away and save any that I get in change. I also put aside pre 1960 nickels and have found 1 buffalo that was dateless.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

8 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2008 :  22:25:03  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
If you happen to run into any Canadian nickels - there are at least three metal compositions in ciruclation. The most common (at least for now) is the Cu-Ni blend (similar to US nickels). They won't stick to a magnet. Next are the stainless steel produced since the early 2000's. They will stick to a magnet like glue. Dump them wherever you can! And finally, there are still some nickels made from .999 pure nickel metal, produced in the latter half of the 20th century. These will also stick to a magnet, but considerably more weakly than the stainless steel junk. Keep all of the pure .999 nickels you can get your hands on.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2008 :  04:15:37  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
I keep them all

This is Legal Right ?
Go to Top of Page

starwarsgeek171
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2008 :  07:25:36  Show Profile Send starwarsgeek171 a Private Message
Perhaps someone with a lot of knowledge could identify specific years (periods) and compositions of all of the modern nickel varieties (both Canadian and U.S.) for the newbies. I guess my real question is, "Where'e the NICKEL!" If this has already been a topic of discussion, please excuse me. So far, I have found many pre-60's and one very nice 1939 in EF condition.
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2008 :  10:44:07  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
Coinflation and their other site for Coinflation Canadian coins are great for that. Their should be a link in the links to other sites area.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

192 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  00:00:34  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message

You must be logged in to see this link.

Well guys, is this the peak of Nickel stocks?

.....................................................................................................................

The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent.
John Maynard Keynes,
English economist (1883 - 1946)

Edited by - n/a on 01/15/2008 00:05:08
Go to Top of Page

Know Common Cents
Penny Pincher Member

195 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  17:10:01  Show Profile Send Know Common Cents a Private Message
Interesting that the price of nickel was up by over 2% today (Source: Bloomberg) when most everything else except the edible agriculturals got whacked. I'll take copper and nickel over the stock market anytime. Nickel is going to regain its "legs."

Here in Wisconsin, we have some of the highest property and gasoline taxes in the US. We're squeezed so much, I have to make my daughter wear penny boxes for shoes. At least she has an endless supply.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

192 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  19:47:44  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
I don't claim to put much faith in the LME number.
I think that they are as likely to lie cheat and steal as any other capitalist.

However, this indicator if true is very bullish for Nickel.

BTW,
I think the name "Know Common Cents" is clever.
Welconme to the board.

.....................................................................................................................

The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent.
John Maynard Keynes,
English economist (1883 - 1946)

Go to Top of Page

starwarsgeek171
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  21:24:31  Show Profile Send starwarsgeek171 a Private Message
I found my first 1942 nickel today. It's 1942-45 for the silvers, right? How will I know if it's the silver variety? I think I've heard you guys talk about a regular CuNi nickel for that year.
Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

fiatboy
Administrator

912 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  21:26:00  Show Profile Send fiatboy a Private Message
All the 35% silver nickels have a large mintmark above Monticello on the reverse side. You can't miss it. No mintmark above Monticello, no silver.

"Bart, it's not about how many stocks you have, it's about how much copper wire you can get out of the building." --- Homer Simpson
Go to Top of Page

starwarsgeek171
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  21:46:15  Show Profile Send starwarsgeek171 a Private Message
I just looked. No mintmark...no silver. At least I know what to look for now. Thank you.

Edited by - starwarsgeek171 on 01/15/2008 21:47:03
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2