Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins
 Argument Against Nickel Hoarding
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

c140cessna
Penny Collector Member

USA
419 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2008 :  22:15:55  Show Profile Send c140cessna a Private Message
We all know that the CuNi 5 cent is worth more than Face.....mostly due to the Ni content:

75% Cu x 5g = (3.75g Cu / 454g/lb) x $3.30/lb = $0.027 Cu
25% Ni x 5g = (1.25g Ni / 454g/lb) x $12.50/lb = $0.034 Ni

In my experience with hoarding and selling/trading Canadian .999Ni and US/Can CuNi - I was never able to find anyone interested in CuNi...and I called every specialty metal recycler/industrial CuNi user I could find. I did find one buyer for about the intrinsic CuNi content. I'm of the opinion that it will probably be difficult the scrap CuNi for anything beyond the basic Cu content...and the Ni will be viewed as a contaminant...

I think it is better to hoard un-sorted penny boxes. At 30% Cu content the box is 100% "sound"...and could be sorted into nearly pure Zn and Cu at a later time...

I think it is better to concentrate on Pennies and skip the Nickels.

Know Common Cents
Penny Pincher Member

195 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2008 :  23:17:01  Show Profile Send Know Common Cents a Private Message
No doubt that the CuNi amalgam doesn't currently have a lot of recycling potential, but that could change. Some of the disinterest could be due to the melting ban. Other disinterest is probably due to the ease with which other recyclable items are available (aluminum can stock, steel, etc.) The scrappers will be more resourceful in the future if the price of Ni returns to its highs of last year and the prices stabilize in that area. Big demand for Ni (stainless steel) in the developing countries unless the US economy throws everyone to the mat.

I was told several times that the smelters didn't like Warnix due to the Manganese content and most were shipped off to foreign lands. That may or may not have been the case, but bags of Warnix are readily traded for their silver content (albeit at a slight discount from the current spot price).

I like nickels. For one, I don't feel the great urgency to break open the box and begin to sort the rolls. In essence, I know what's in there....nickels. I've had very few recent numismatic finds from nickels in the past 5 years, so I don't have high expectations. Quite different with the cents.

I say, "Bring on the nickels." We can always fall back on their face value, but should the demand exist, technology will come to this readily available resource.

Here in Wisconsin, we have some of the highest property and gasoline taxes in the US. We're squeezed so much, I have to make my daughter wear penny boxes for shoes. At least she has an endless supply.
Go to Top of Page

c140cessna
Penny Collector Member

USA
419 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2008 :  00:12:50  Show Profile Send c140cessna a Private Message
I love differing opinions....nice points. I'm still anti-CuNi....but like your opinions!
Go to Top of Page

fiatboy
Administrator

912 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2008 :  09:48:55  Show Profile Send fiatboy a Private Message
I tend to agree, c140cessna. CuNi nickels are not exactly the easiest coin to melt. Even if the melt ban lifted, I bet most refiners would concentrate on .999 Canadian nickels, and pay very poorly for the U.S. ones. I like pennies much better, and even zinc has more upside potential than it's given credit for.

But really, if you want to take a chance with nickels, go for it. They have a face value, so no worries.

"Bart, it's not about how many stocks you have, it's about how much copper wire you can get out of the building." --- Homer Simpson
Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2008 :  16:45:55  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
I believe it is a mistake to think that the metal value locked into a U.S. CuNi nickel must be based on the copper and nickel that needs to be refined from each other. CuNi has many Marine industrial applications that are in demand. Remember, there is no way to produce a CuNi alloy without both copper and nickel.

This link You must be logged in to see this link. is to an Interactive Presentation of Copper-Nickel Alloys in Marine Environments. It may help those interested learn more about CuNi alloys.

Realcent.forumco.com disclosure. Please read.
All posts either by the members, moderators, and the administration of http://realcent.forumco.com are for your edification and amusement only. It is not the intent of realcent.forumco.com or its host to provide investment, medical, matrimonial, legal, security or tax advice and nothing posted here should be considered to be so. All rights reserved.

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2008 :  17:24:51  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
I don't buy boxes anymore or anything, but I don't spend them either. Another can't lose. Not like I have hundred's tied up in them.

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

85 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2008 :  17:46:32  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
We talk a lot here about "copper pennies" but they are not. They are really brass at 95% copper 5% zinc. The zinc cent is even closer to pure at 97.5% zinc than the so called copper penny.

One thing to remember with all of this is that there are a lot less U.S. nickels in circulation than there are pennies. I read once that there are only about $5.00 in nickels per American. I'm hoarding both pennies and nickels.

"The key to building wealth is to not lose money." - Warren Buffet
Go to Top of Page

aloneibreak
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
672 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2008 :  18:29:53  Show Profile Send aloneibreak a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by CopperBar

One thing to remember with all of this is that there are a lot less U.S. nickels in circulation than there are pennies. I read once that there are only about $5.00 in nickels per American. I'm hoarding both pennies and nickels.

that seems hard to believe but sure enough. if you add mintages of jefferson nickels including war nickels you get roughly 51,370,340,000. divide that by roughly 303,000,000 people and you get around $8.50 per person. if you could figure closer to what is actually circulating that amount would obviously go down.

i still dont see the need to buy boxes or rolls to hoard. but i do save every single one i get from change.

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

fiatboy
Administrator

912 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2008 :  18:36:11  Show Profile Send fiatboy a Private Message
I don't know what to think anymore. Hoard it all and hope for the best!

"Bart, it's not about how many stocks you have, it's about how much copper wire you can get out of the building." --- Homer Simpson
Go to Top of Page

c140cessna
Penny Collector Member

USA
419 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2008 :  16:17:37  Show Profile Send c140cessna a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ardent Listener

I believe it is a mistake to think that the metal value locked into a U.S. CuNi nickel must be based on the copper and nickel that needs to be refined from each other. CuNi has many Marine industrial applications that are in demand. Remember, there is no way to produce a CuNi alloy without both copper and nickel.

This link You must be logged in to see this link. is to an Interactive Presentation of Copper-Nickel Alloys in Marine Environments. It may help those interested learn more about CuNi alloys.

CuNi is a popular marine metal....it is also known as "Monel"...but I bet I called 50 specialty metal dealers...and only foumd a few with casual interest and in the end, just one buyer of Canadian CuNi...which does not hsve US melt/export ban limitations....

I just feel that Cu and Zn and .999Ni are the best bets going forward...bet we will never get the Alloy Value out of the CuNi.

I'm pretty sure the Zn Penny will become sound again...inside 2 to 3 years...

Still concentrating on Cu "Brass" Pennies!
Go to Top of Page

fiatboy
Administrator

912 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2008 :  18:04:12  Show Profile Send fiatboy a Private Message
I expect .999 Ni Canadian nickels to be the first of the base metal coins to be melted and/or traded as bullion. Once nickel maintains a dollar an ounce, things should get interesting.

The chemical properties of copper-nickel alloys vary greatly---some CuNi alloys are easier to refine than others. I think this is a big factor on the future of U.S. nickels. I wish I knew more about the specifics of refining.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2