Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Copper Penny Bullion Investing
 burglarized - 50+ boxes of pennies, nickels
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

gollum40
Penny Sorter Member

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2010 :  10:44:04  Show Profile Send gollum40 a Private Message
Not a good day here, my fellow real centers. My hoard is safe, but my 20+ boxes of nickels and 30+ boxes of pennies (all unsorted, straight from banks) were stolen this week.

It's my fault b/c this stuff was in a 'bonus room' on the side of my house, and I left the door unlocked. This is nearly $3k of actual cash so it's a financial body blow, plus my capital is gone for this hobby for the time being, plus I'm really creeped out.

Sheesh, you guys all know how heavy this stuff is - someone had to really mean it in order to carry all these boxes to their car. Either in broad daylight while I'm gone or at night while I'm here, that took some serious guts and sweat.

Although I filed a police report with the sheriff and talked to some neighbors, it's obviously unlikely anything will come of it. This just happened yesterday so I'm still stunned and upset.

Lots of silver linings and 'it could have been worse' scenarios to be sure. On a positive note, I'm looking at this as a wake up call to secure not just that room but my entire house and all the entrances, and to keep better tabs on this situation in general, especially if I'm going to continue to hoard.

Also, heads up to the folks on this forum: if you haven't already secured the raw materials and end results of your hobby, please consider doing it so this doesn't happen to you.

BTW, if anyone can recommend a security system of some kind, or just a smaller scale solution, we'd all probably benefit from hearing about that too.

If you got this far, thanks for reading. Happy hoarding (though not for me for the time being).

Now selling Zinc pennies 1.0000 X FV :)

fb101
Administrator

USA
2856 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2010 :  11:09:00  Show Profile Send fb101 a Private Message
Ouch! I hope the financial blow isn't a killer for you. Do you think maybe someone saw you coming and going?

Go to Top of Page

battlecat
Penny Pincher Member

152 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2010 :  12:03:03  Show Profile Send battlecat a Private Message
Wow im sorry to here that. Someone broke into our car a few weeks back and stole some things, so I know how freaked out your feeling.
I have to agree with fb101 that someone most likely saw you or knew about your stash. That being said they may be thinking if he has 3k here then I bet he has much more in the house. Hopefully you have a safe of some kind? Large gun safes work well, but can be costly.
As for a cheap alarm You must be logged in to see this link.
Just remember to use blanks :P
Go to Top of Page

PreservingThePast
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1572 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2010 :  12:49:27  Show Profile Send PreservingThePast a Private Message
Gollum40...I am so sorry to read of this misfortune that has happened to you. Please let us know if they do get any leads on the thieves. I say plural, because I am with you...that's a lot of heavy work for just one person, even for two.

Keep us posted.
Go to Top of Page

thogey
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1617 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2010 :  13:07:10  Show Profile Send thogey a Private Message
They had inside info!

Stay on the investigation. They came prepared to steal what they stole. Your source bank tellers have all your info including your address and you pick-up schedule. Check your homeowner's insurance you might be able to recover some. The theives are going to have to sell the cents so they can buy thier drugs. This is another way to catch them. Maybe have a friend offer to buy bank boxed cents on CL. Maybe you can draw these morons out.

I hope you can forgive them!

I also hope they ef with the wrong bull and get their brains blown out!

Nothing ticks me off worse than when these low-lifes rob a man of his hard work and time.

Good luck with the investigation. Keep us updated.

Come to the new and improved realcent: http://realcent.org

Edited by - thogey on 06/27/2010 13:09:23
Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2010 :  13:23:16  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
That stinks. If practical (size of city) call or visit all the banks in town to be alert for someone bringing in large amounts of coin that does not normally deal in coin. I like thogey's suggestion to offer to buy the coins on Craigslist too.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

Nickelless
Administrator

USA
5580 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2010 :  13:33:35  Show Profile Send Nickelless a Private Message
Sorry to hear what happened to you, Gollum. I got mugged last fall and my brand-new laptop got stolen in the process. It really sucks being a crime victim. Keep us posted on the investigation.

Visit my new preparedness site: Preparedness.cc/SurvivalPrep.net
--Latest article: Stocking up on spices to keep food preps lively

---------------

Be prepared...and prepared to help: http://www.survivalblog.com/charity.html

Are you ready spiritually for hard times? http://www.jesusfreak.com/rapture.asp
Go to Top of Page

Megaman
Penny Pincher Member

USA
173 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2010 :  14:00:22  Show Profile Send Megaman a Private Message
Wow, i don't know who would even have the patience to do that

Must hoard more......
Go to Top of Page

PennyPauper
Penny Collector Member

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2010 :  16:42:23  Show Profile Send PennyPauper a Private Message
Sorry to read this one.Unfortunatly scum outnumber good guys these days.I hope you recover your losses,and the criminals have to pay with some jail time.I have to agree that this probably is a inside job,or someone close to you,or watched you leaving a bank.I always have smiles for the tellers,but stone cold looks for anyone I think is looking too closely.Always watch your surrondings.Most likely you seen something out of the ordindary lately,but didn't think much of it.Did the police take this seriously and at least fingerprint?
Unfortunatly police most likely won't care about your property and will think you are running a scam or racket,and look at you like a criminal.Stories like this really p*** me off,beacause this should never happen,but is happining more often given the economy,scum birthing more scum,and the glorifing of criminal culture.
Just this week I was looking at my back door and thinking this deadbolt needs to be upgraded,and this story has me motivated to fix it NOW.
The other advise about craigslist is good,and definatly let your banks know.Also check stores that have coinstars and notify the managers in case they see someone dumping large amounts.
Have the police come back out to fingerprint and take pictures and let them know you won't let this go.Offer rewards for the loss of a coin collection that was in bank boxes.
Most likely whoever stole them are just as scared as you are,wondering how do I get rid of these,and could be looking for a way out.offer not to prosicute if it's returned.I'd try any trick,offer to get to the bottom of this.
I would be concerned about them coming back if it was a gang or some organized people,moving 50 boxes isn't easy,ask for some extra patrols from police,not trying to scare you here but,you know.
And I see your in CA but getting a firearm or other weapons would be a good idea,but after you chill out and get your composure back.
There are lots of video security systems available out there now that hook to your pc and save to a hard drive,I looked at a few at Sams club and I think I will buy one now.
Sorry if I rambled here but this really bugs me.
I wish you well,and hope you stay safe.
Maybe a few realcent members will join me in including you in my prayers tonite,for your safety and return of your property.

Available again! $100 of Copper Lincoln Memorials for $145 shipped.
Go to Top of Page

Corsair
Penny Hoarding Member

811 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2010 :  17:17:31  Show Profile  Send Corsair a Yahoo! Message Send Corsair a Private Message
I agree with other posts in this thread. This is very unfortunate, and I feel for you, pal. But, this isn't over yet.

As other members said, the jerks are going to need to cash them in. Now, from what I hear, they aren't idiots. They've seen you carrying the coins in, and set up enough time to load them all out. So that makes me think they won't go to a bank in town, because they'll know you'll alert them. I'd do it anyway.

The places I'd really watch are the banks in your nearest town and all Coin Star machines. Putting yourself in the bad guy frame of mind, they don't think anything will stand out if they bring in boxes and boxes of coins to the Coin Star. And what's 10% in stolen money? Nothing to them.

I'd definitely alert the managers of all stores with Coin Stars and every single bank in the neighboring town. If I were them, that's where I'd go. And soon.

This is a real shame. I hope more than anything you catch these guys.

So long, Realcent 1. Come visit us at Realcent.org!
Go to Top of Page

dakota1955
1000+ Penny Miser Member

2212 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2010 :  17:20:42  Show Profile  Send dakota1955 a Yahoo! Message Send dakota1955 a Private Message
this should be a wake up call for all of us just to bad that it happened to you.
Go to Top of Page

chris6084
Penny Collector Member

303 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2010 :  17:38:07  Show Profile Send chris6084 a Private Message
Most likely it was somebody who saw you carry in your coin. Otherwise your house would have been broken into instead of them just entering the unlocked bonus room. I always try to carry in my coin when there is not a lot of people around outside, and rarely immediatley after I get home. Even when I see nobody outside, I still try to hide what I am carrying in case somebody is looking out of there windows.

Sorry this had to happen.
Go to Top of Page

Aristobolus
Penny Sorter Member

76 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2010 :  17:53:40  Show Profile Send Aristobolus a Private Message
Thanks for the admonishion to safeguard our belongings. I hope your stash is recovered.
Go to Top of Page

beauanderos
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2408 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2010 :  18:14:30  Show Profile Send beauanderos a Private Message
gollum, sorry this had to happen to you. Any of us are susceptible to the same dangers. I'm going to move some of my stuff tomorrow morning as a result of reading this. I've been too lackadaisical, thinking what crankhead would want to do all the work of loading them to put my stash in jeopardy. I hope this doesn't happen to any more of us.

Hoard now and hold on!

http://coppermillions.blogspot.com/
http://wherewillyoubein2012.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

misteroman
Administrator

USA
2565 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2010 :  18:18:59  Show Profile Send misteroman a Private Message
Might make me lock my garage door. There is literally 3k worth of pennies sitting 2 ft from my door and it's unlocked. Never thought anyone would/will take them because of the weight. I even tell people about my pennies as I store them in 5 gal. buckets that weigh 200lbs ea so figure they are safe. Maybe not though

Buying CU cents!!!! Paying 1.2 unlimited amounts wanted. Can pick up if near Ohio area.
Go to Top of Page

Flbandit
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2010 :  18:54:24  Show Profile Send Flbandit a Private Message
To a drug addict, nothing is to much work if it results in feeding their addiction. Well, other than a job. 3K will buy alot of party material. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I've had my house robbed twice years ago. Turned out to be someone I knew, who knew what I had.

Are you throwing that out?
Go to Top of Page

wolvesdad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2010 :  19:28:50  Show Profile Send wolvesdad a Private Message
I don't like pointing fingers at innocent people, but do think about your surroundings.

This almost sounds like something neighborhood punks would do half as a prank, but half as a big financial score.

"May your percentages ever increase!"
Go to Top of Page

rosco
Penny Collector Member

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2010 :  19:32:54  Show Profile Send rosco a Private Message
I had a medium Gun Safe an last fall before travel I Spluruged for Electronic monitoring (Alarm System)
All walk doors include the one between house an garage an then motion to cover garage doors and hall way an one on Safe get them to cover it all in the beginning because you pay for all later changes. Its $50 per month but We feel safer as we do travel for over a month some times. I do notify the city Police and they put your house on a check list also this is a small town of 5,000.
Origanal cost was $100 for all doors an two motions we added the Garage door motion later an paid extra. Alarm co was Signature Alert but Monitronics does the checking now. it was a little extra to go to cell from control panel but makes them work harder to bypass.
We try to remember to set each night an have key fobs for when we leave in car or to walk.

Good luck on recouvery

Old Geezer a HAND Sorter
Go to Top of Page

Nickelless
Administrator

USA
5580 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2010 :  19:44:15  Show Profile Send Nickelless a Private Message
Gollum, here's an idea I posted on my blog a while back:

You must be logged in to see this link.

Visit my new preparedness site: Preparedness.cc/SurvivalPrep.net
--Latest article: Stocking up on spices to keep food preps lively

---------------

Be prepared...and prepared to help: http://www.survivalblog.com/charity.html

Are you ready spiritually for hard times? http://www.jesusfreak.com/rapture.asp
Go to Top of Page

cptindy
Penny Hoarding Member

572 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2010 :  20:08:43  Show Profile Send cptindy a Private Message
Inside information for sure on this one!

It is not as hard if these were stacked boxes. A dolly could practically move them in one quick haul, Two at the most!

Anything is vulnerable and obtainable if it is made available and knowledgeable.

A safe bigger than can be carried left unlocked is a closet with the door open.

Sorry to hear about this as I have been a victim of robbery in the past and it is a creepy feeling knowing someone was lurking in your domain.

Home Owners should cover this! Although leaving cash in an out building unlocked will be questioned.

"It is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting"

" The average man doesn't want to be free. He wants to be safe."

H.L. Mencken

http://silver-news-today.com/
Go to Top of Page

specialbob
Penny Sorter Member

USA
56 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2010 :  21:01:26  Show Profile Send specialbob a Private Message
Sorry to hear that this happened. My recommendation for a security system is a dog, with a big bark and a bigger bite. Dobermans have always been a fave in my family. They are loyal, love kids and will attack coin stealers.
Go to Top of Page

wolvesdad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2010 :  23:20:32  Show Profile Send wolvesdad a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by specialbob

Sorry to hear that this happened. My recommendation for a security system is a dog, with a big bark and a bigger bite. Dobermans have always been a fave in my family. They are loyal, love kids and will attack coin stealers.

How'd u train them to attack coin stealers? :)

"May your percentages ever increase!"
Go to Top of Page

Lemon Thrower
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1588 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2010 :  05:02:06  Show Profile Send Lemon Thrower a Private Message
1. Thanks for sharing this wake up call with all of us.

2. that is a lot of coin to move and liquidate. was not a crime of opportunity considering that it would take an hour or more to move.

3. i would fax a summary to every branch within an hour radius asking them to be on the look out for that many boxes of pennies and nickels. offer to send them a copy of the police report.

Buying:
Peace/Morgan G+ at $15.00
copper cents at 1.3X
wheat pennies at 3X

Go to Top of Page

JobIII
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2010 :  07:09:48  Show Profile Send JobIII a Private Message
Gollum this is terrible. I hope this person is an idiot and returns unopened boxes. But LT definitely has the right idea. It's about the best thing you can do. Get the word out to any banks, and i would also include any coinstar locations or Credit unions as well.

Selling Copper cents. $0 FV available at 1.4xFV. Also interested in trading for wheat pennies and other coins Please pm me for requests or inquiries.

Edited by - JobIII on 06/28/2010 07:10:24
Go to Top of Page

1945V
Penny Pincher Member

Canada
153 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2010 :  08:00:22  Show Profile Send 1945V a Private Message
I would go immediately to all local banks and any establishments (grocery stores, etc) with Coinstars.
If your boxes had any identifying writing (bank names or your hand writing) or unusual labels on them, I would mention this to the folks at the banks. People that deposit at Coinstars usually bring 10-20 lbs of coins at most, so someone trying to cash several hundred pounds of coins should raise a red flag.

Drug addicts are usually very impatient to get their next fix and will not wait for the heat go away and will try to cash the coins ASAP.
Go to Top of Page

Lemon Thrower
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1588 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2010 :  08:58:27  Show Profile Send Lemon Thrower a Private Message
50 boxes would have required the thief to have a car or truck and spend at least a half hour robbing you, maybe an hour, depending on how close they could park and how well they could be concealed. with a normal car, their back bumper would probably be dragging so they might have had to take 2 trips. so you were prob not robbed by a druggy but someone who planned it and maybe even brought a helper.

still contacting credit unions and banks in your area is wise, and a the same 1-page fax could be sent to every bank.

in thinking about this, a lot of us keep our coins in the bank boxes because its convenient. irornically, if you had them loose in 5 gallon buckets they probably wouldn't have been able to pull this off. another thing crazy would be spraypainting the outside of the boxes orange or something, or hiding a gps transmitter in one box.

Buying:
Peace/Morgan G+ at $15.00
copper cents at 1.3X
wheat pennies at 3X

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05