Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Scrap Metal Salvage
 Just had a nice little score, but was wondering...
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nickelless
Administrator

USA
5580 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  05:16:30  Show Profile Send Nickelless a Private Message
I replied to a listing on Freecycle tonight for scrap metal and picked up three aluminum-frame lawn chairs (the kind with the nylon-strap seat covers), several feet of aluminum drain spout, a Dish Network dish and five-foot steel pole that it came on and a few other random pieces of aluminum sheeting. First of all, I'm wondering what the Dish Network dish is made of--it looks like it might be a composite similar to a teflon-coated skillet, but I can't tell. It has a definite metallic "gong" when I hit it. Anyone familiar with the makeup of dishes like this?

Also, the drain spout and aluminum siding all had a good dusting of dried mud--not thick, but definitely noticeable. How "clean" do most scrap dealers want pieces to be?

Also, one of the three chairs has a wooden back rather than a nylon back, and all three chairs have wooden armrests. Should I take the wood pieces off before I take them to the scrap dealer, or do dealers typically do that? I could go ahead and pry off the wood pieces, but I was curious what scrap dealers thought about stuff like this that I guess also relates to how clean any pieces might be.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot one piece I picked up in the median of the highway a couple days ago--it looks like (sorry, I don't know the technical term) the little awning-like piece over the top of a front wheel on the cab of a semi. Fill me in on what those things are called.

Right now I'm planning to just sit on this stuff for a while until scrap prices head back up.

Visit my new preparedness site: Preparedness.cc/SurvivalPrep.net
--Latest article: Stocking up on spices to keep food preps lively

---------------

Be prepared...and prepared to help: http://www.survivalblog.com/charity.html

Are you ready spiritually for hard times? http://www.jesusfreak.com/rapture.asp

hobo finds
Penny Hoarding Member

838 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  13:45:30  Show Profile Send hobo finds a Private Message
The Dish Netwok dishes that i ve found were steel.The yards around here are picky with Alum no wood or plastic and remove all steel screws! Not sure about the truck part. And yea hold onto the stuff till the prices get better!
Go to Top of Page

cptindy
Penny Hoarding Member

572 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  21:17:59  Show Profile Send cptindy a Private Message
Use a magnet on the dish if it sticks it ferrous.

The straps need to come off the chairs, take a razor knife (box cutter type) and slice the straps just before the bar. Do that at the top and on one side then unwind and jerk the straps right off. I prefer to hold the chair at an angle and use body weight to snap off the legs one by one to save space.

Gutters and siding as long as they are not compacted with mud or debri should be fine dirty. Just step on them to save space then fold in a convenient size for storage.

Lay your wood backed chairs upside down and give a good smack with a hammer, They should snap and then ply them of easily with your hands. Again it should just snap at the rivet or screw.

Clean metal is a single metal without any foreign metal or objects attached.

Example:

Aluminum window frames need to have the steel screws removed and any other metals or objects like rubber removed.

A washing machine is not clean metal as it contains other parts. Bed frames are clean steel.

Hope this helps

"It is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting"

" The average man doesn't want to be free. He wants to be safe."

H.L. Mencken

http://silver-news-today.com/
Go to Top of Page

hobo finds
Penny Hoarding Member

838 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2010 :  20:57:09  Show Profile Send hobo finds a Private Message
Also as I am sure you know seperate each kind of aluminum. Extruded ( window door frames), MLC (chairs tube alum), Cast ( BBQ grills) and painted. This way you will make more $.
Go to Top of Page

Flbandit
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2010 :  13:55:54  Show Profile Send Flbandit a Private Message
My yard will take washers as steel with no trouble. However, it's worthwhile to pull the wiring harness, the motor, and stainless if any,

Are you throwing that out?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2